Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Photography friends.......

I am like hard core digging my new baby (Canon 5d Mark ii) and learning as much as I possible can. I am a lifetime member to Clickin Moms. Where else can I find classes to learn new tricks and skills?

I need VIDEO. I hate the read through a ton of text and try to figure it out. I like to be SHOWN and be able to play on my camera while they go through it. Does that make any sense?

So were are the best places for tutorials and instruction. Even paid classes would work for me. I just want to rock my camera. I have a basic understanding. Now I want to dive into practice and more detailed skills.

SO hit me with the best places to go or places to stay away from. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just got a new camera in December. I asked the exact same questions to the salesman, and he said YouTube. He said there are a ton of really great tuts on there that will be specific for my camera. I haven't had time yet to go browsing, but it's on my to-do list.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Try youtube.

And if you're on clickinmoms, I totally recommend The Best Darn Beginner's Class (Shooting 101). I took it as a study along and had a bunch of light bulbs moments while taking the class and after

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I highly recommend all the paid workshops on Clicking Moms. I'm about to start one on studio photography in two weeks.

I also like these two youtube channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/creative...ature=g-high-u

http://www.youtube.com/user/BHPhotoVideoProAudio

(On the B&H one, I like to view there "Event Space" videos. They have lots of photographers come in a give lectors.)

Last edited by marlathrall; 01-17-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need to look into some of this. I've had my DSLR for years now and barely taken it off auto mode. I love the pictures it takes on auto but I know it (and I) am capable of so much more!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

for me creative live is a go to. when their courses are being recorded live, you can watch them for free. even the rewatch is free. last year i took about 10 courses and it helped me a lot.
i consider even the prices for their courses okay. i am sure, there must be a course especially for your camera.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

on feb, 18. there is a new course of digi photograpy fundamentals. not that you need it, tara, but maybe someone else.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Personally, I've seen some local photographers do workshops. Have you looked into anything like that? You'd get hands on training more so.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you everyone! I have heard of Creative Live! I knew I had something in the back of my head but I couldn't remember it for the life of me! That is the one that while they record, you can watch for free but after that you have to pay for the video. VERY cool. Thanks for the heads up. I may watch it just to make sure I got the basics down. No harm in review.

I think I will start a few of the classes at clicking moms. Again, the Beginner might be review but having that foundation strong is what I want. So I will go get the Study a long for that one. I really want to do the master the indoor light one (or something like that). IT looks AWESOME.

Anyways, thanks girls! I will hit up youtube later today too!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I think I will start a few of the classes at clicking moms. Again, the Beginner might be review but having that foundation strong is what I want. So I will go get the Study a long for that one. I really want to do the master the indoor light one (or something like that). IT looks AWESOME.
That class (mastering indoor light) is on my list as well as lifestyle with kids classes. I was already shooting in manual before I took the beginner class. I debated about needing it and turns out, it was so worth it. I thought I know about the exposure triangle but after taking that class, I knew more indepth about proper exposure, white balance, etc.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

CreativeLive is definitely awesome, they have all sorts of classes, from basics to business, LOVE them. The part I love most, is that you get to learn from big names, real successes, and you can do it, in your jammies from the comfort of your own home.

Sandy Puc' has her SPTV live once a week (I think it's Mondays, maybe Wednesdays, I can't remember) and she is amazing. I went to one of her seminars this past fall.

Check around to see if there are any clubs or groups in your area, a lot of times they do 'shootouts' where you get together and learn from each other. I know that the ILP board has a get together sub-forum, and another forum I was part of used to plan big meet-ups and photographers from all over would come together, it was like a big 'friend' get together since everyone 'knew' the other from the forums.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

This is a really good thread! Love all the info that is being shared, helps me too!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I took the "Oh Shoot" class taught at Jessica Sprague by Candice Stringham. It's pricey $130 but I definitely thought it was worth it. I do better if I'm taken step by step through things rather than having to search for different things on you tube. Candice has a video lesson for each segment and also provides a written lesson to go along with it. This class really helped me finally understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, and I'd read and tried to figure it out for a long time. Anyhoo, the next session of "Oh Shoot" starts March 11, and enrollment is Feb 25. If you want to do the class, MAKE SURE you enroll the very first day! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it too.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
Thank you everyone! I have heard of Creative Live! I knew I had something in the back of my head but I couldn't remember it for the life of me! That is the one that while they record, you can watch for free but after that you have to pay for the video. VERY cool. Thanks for the heads up. I may watch it just to make sure I got the basics down. No harm in review.

Anyways, thanks girls! I will hit up youtube later today too!
Shooting 101 is totally wonderful, even if you have been shooting in manuel. It will just make sure you have all the basics down and understand everything perfectly. I highly recommend it.

I think I will actually be taking Shooting 201 in March. I've got goals to take a workshop at least every other month this year.