Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2021, 08:02 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Interesting Pregnancy Stuff...

I am sharing this because I thought it was really interesting and might be helpful information to someone.

Someone I know tried for 15 years to get pregnant with no luck. In that time she saw a number of doctors and did a few rounds of hormone therapy, IVF too, I think and still did not get pregnant. Then she tried a different doctor who did a blood test first and came back to her and told her that her insulin was high. Now this is a woman in her 30s with no history of diabetes, normal weight, etc. but her insulin was high and her hormones were low like the other doctors had found. But this doctor said that the insulin was the issue and she was not ovulating because of it. She had Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS,) which the other doctors missed because she was atypical. (Yes, atypical health things are an issue with me.) Anyway, she went on a special diet to control her insulin, had IVF again and has a daughter who just celebrated her first birthday.

They want to have another child, so were talking about another round of IVF, which is expensive, when low and behold, she found out last week she is pregnant. One her own, no treatment because her diet is helping control her insulin, which means she is able to ovulate.

I am not sure how well known this issue is with people who are atypical, but I know she went to Chicago for treatment without success for a while, and Chicago is not a small town doctor kind of place. Because she did not fit the typical description of someone with an insulin issue, it was overlooked for years and years, 15 of them to be exact.

Knowing that it seemed worth while to share her story in case there was anyone in the community, or any one in the community knew of anyone who was struggling to get pregnant and did not fit the Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) mold. Doctors don't always think outside the box like they should, but if you are the one in the box, you need them to. Or you need to help them by having information like this.

Hope no one minds this kind of random share, but like I said, I thought it was worth the time.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 08-04-2021 at 08:05 AM.