Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-23-2022, 12:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Have you ever been in REAL danger?

The most danger I was ever in was in a boat. A bunch of us were traveling down a river and we had to go through a lock. The water was going down so that we could get onto the next level of the river. Our boat, somehow, got hung up on the wall and down went the water - WAY DOWN - and we were just hanging there, on the wall!

The lock master had to raise the level back up so we could be rescued!

Old 05-23-2022, 02:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was in a few dangerous situations as a child, but was sheltered enough during those situations to be unaware of just how precarious they were. I'm thankful for that as it likely would have caused a lot of trauma had I been aware of the gravity of the situation.

As an adult, I'd say that the most dangerous have had to do with weather. When we first moved to this house, there was a terrible storm that I had to drive through to get home. Lightening struck a tree that dropped right in front of my path when I was almost home making me have to turn around and go an unfamiliar route. I hit flooding there. Finally, I made it home. I haven't driven in a storm like that since, and I hope never again. Another time was coming in to work one morning. It had snowed and they didn't call a snow day. The roads were SO icy that I slid into the ditch twice and traveled about 10mph all the way to my son's school and then to mine. We were getting our first Covid vaccine that day and that is the ONLY reason I kept going! I was traumatized after sliding all over the road (with 4wd on) that I refused to drive in the snow for a bit after that. Then there was the time I was rushing my cat to the vet. It was this past August, right before school started. I got home early and my son pointed out that our cat wasn't acting right. I called the vet who said bring him in. We are about 30 minutes or so from our vet. I was part way there when it started to rain extremely hard. It was coming down in sheets. The road I was on is a narrow back road that has steep drop-offs on either side of the road and no shoulder. I could barely see 10 feet in front of the vehicle. Beside me sat my son with the cat who was looking worse by the minute.

Each time everything turned out fine. No one was hurt. We nearly lost the cat before he was discovered to have a heart murmur, but he is still with us, almost a year later.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

During my Army Basic Training we had to go through a pond in full kit, webbing and weapons. In the middle it was deep and we couldn't touch the bottom. The pond was the muddiest colour ever with zero visibility. My boots and equipment were pulling me down and I truly thought I was going to drown. The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that if I didn't surface, they wouldn't even know for ages because the pond was so dirty. I seriously don't know how someone didn't drown that day.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I was in a few dangerous situations as a child, but was sheltered enough during those situations to be unaware of just how precarious they were. I'm thankful for that as it likely would have caused a lot of trauma had I been aware of the gravity of the situation.

As an adult, I'd say that the most dangerous have had to do with weather. When we first moved to this house, there was a terrible storm that I had to drive through to get home. Lightening struck a tree that dropped right in front of my path when I was almost home making me have to turn around and go an unfamiliar route. I hit flooding there. Finally, I made it home. I haven't driven in a storm like that since, and I hope never again. Another time was coming in to work one morning. It had snowed and they didn't call a snow day. The roads were SO icy that I slid into the ditch twice and traveled about 10mph all the way to my son's school and then to mine. We were getting our first Covid vaccine that day and that is the ONLY reason I kept going! I was traumatized after sliding all over the road (with 4wd on) that I refused to drive in the snow for a bit after that. Then there was the time I was rushing my cat to the vet. It was this past August, right before school started. I got home early and my son pointed out that our cat wasn't acting right. I called the vet who said bring him in. We are about 30 minutes or so from our vet. I was part way there when it started to rain extremely hard. It was coming down in sheets. The road I was on is a narrow back road that has steep drop-offs on either side of the road and no shoulder. I could barely see 10 feet in front of the vehicle. Beside me sat my son with the cat who was looking worse by the minute.

Each time everything turned out fine. No one was hurt. We nearly lost the cat before he was discovered to have a heart murmur, but he is still with us, almost a year later.
I think weather related scares are some ot the worse! We drove through Hurricane Laura two years ago. It was predicted for the next day and it blew into our path one day early. We felt the storm pick our SUV up!

I'm glad you made it through the terrible storms you drove through! It's SO frightening to drive on ice, too. You've been lucky with your storm encounters. I'm SO happy that your kitty is still with you!!

Old 05-23-2022, 03:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
During my Army Basic Training we had to go through a pond in full kit, webbing and weapons. In the middle it was deep and we couldn't touch the bottom. The pond was the muddiest colour ever with zero visibility. My boots and equipment were pulling me down and I truly thought I was going to drown. The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that if I didn't surface, they wouldn't even know for ages because the pond was so dirty. I seriously don't know how someone didn't drown that day.
Oh my goodness that must have been terrifying!! I'm so afraid of deep water, so this just gave me the chills!

Old 05-23-2022, 04:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes.

I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms in February 2021 including a saddle (which is when a blood clot gets stuck in the main pulmonary artery so it's blocking both lungs) that was so big it was causing my lungs to press up against my heart & make my heart race. Saddle PEs are rare: only 2-5 percent of PE cases involve one. I had symptoms 2 weeks before I was hospitalized and then another 48 hours waiting on an appointment with my PCP where I couldn't walk from the couch to the bathroom without losing my breath.

I spent a night in surgical ICU after they started me on heparin just in case anything happened and I had to be rushed into surgery. I wasn't allowed to get up even to walk the few steps to the bathroom until the following day because the situation was so precarious.

I'm lucky to be alive.

Fortunately, the blood thinner I was on for 6 months allowed my body to break up the clots on its own and I am clot-free now as far as I know. They think the clots were caused by foot surgery 2 months prior but we'll never know for sure. I may or may not have permanent lung damage but I am now able to do my regular activities without losing my breath or my heart rate rising. Physical exertion & exercise is still a challenge.

I don't take one day for granted now.

Last edited by LeeAndra; 05-23-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Yes.

I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms in February 2021 including a saddle (which is when a blood clot gets stuck in the main pulmonary artery so it's blocking both lungs) that was so big it was causing my lungs to press up against my heart & make my heart race. Saddle PEs are rare: only 2-5 percent of PE cases involve one. I had symptoms 2 weeks before I was hospitalized and then another 48 hours waiting on an appointment with my PCP where I couldn't walk from the couch to the bathroom without losing my breath.

I spent a night in surgical ICU after they started me on heparin just in case anything happened and I had to be rushed into surgery. I wasn't allowed to get up even to walk the few steps to the bathroom until the following day because the situation was so precarious.

I'm lucky to be alive.

Fortunately, the blood thinner I was on for 6 months allowed my body to break up the clots on its own and I am clot-free now as far as I know. They think the clots were caused by foot surgery 2 months prior but we'll never know for sure. I may or may not have permanent lung damage but I am now able to do my regular activities without losing my breath or my heart rate rising. Physical exertion & exercise is still a challenge.

Oh my goodness, LeeAndra! How frightening this is just to read - I can't even imagine what you went through!! Then to have to wait - UGH you really are lucky to be alive!!

That's wonderful that they're able to keep this under control and I'm sure that you DON'T take any day for granted. Bless your heart.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

A few years ago we were floating the river that runs through our town. I was riding on the front of the raft and we ended up getting pulled to the side of the river and under some low hanging branches. I got pushed onto my back into the bottom of the raft as we were going under the branches and then the front of the raft gone hung up on branches and was going under the water. Water started pouring into the front of the raft. I was stuck on my back and couldn't help my husband get the raft unstuck. We had our kids with us but they were further back in the raft. I remember thinking, "This is how people die floating down the river." We had floated it 20+ times before and never had a problem. He was finally able to get it unstuck and the front of the raft bobbed up and I was able to get out of the bottom of the raft. But it was a pretty scary few minutes I won't forget.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, The day that we were released from the hospital with Bianca in our hands I had a heart failure and every day was a touch and go.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had a couple of car accidents that were pretty scary, but the first thing to come to mind was I had a placenta aburption at 35 weeks with my son. Luckily, we had the best-case scenario afterward and both of us are fine.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Yes.

I'm lucky to be alive.

That is so scary!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LeeAndra’s post made me think in a different direction. About 7 years ago I nearly bled to death. I was having unexplained uterine bleeding. It was causing sever anemia. I had several blood transfusions. We wanted more kids so we tried several different things including a D&C and birth control to stop the bleeding when that didn’t help. It kept getting worse. I was scheduled for a uterine biopsy. The night before I experienced hemorrhaging. The hospital told me not to come in, just go to my appointment the next day. I took 4x the number of BC pills as I was supposed to in order to slow the bleeding. I went in for my biopsy the next day feeling okay. I was at work before I went in and expecting to go back after. My hemoglobin had dropped to 3 and she said my bleeding was profuse. In reality, it was light, for me, by that point. Doctor refused to let me leave and immediately checked me in to the hospital attached to her clinic. I was transfused before, during, and after surgery and she told me that I would have died if I had waited any longer.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I had a couple of car accidents that were pretty scary, but the first thing to come to mind was I had a placenta aburption at 35 weeks with my son. Luckily, we had the best-case scenario afterward and both of us are fine.
So scary! We almost lost my aunt and baby cousin to an abrupt ion.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
Yes, The day that we were released from the hospital with Bianca in our hands I had a heart failure and every day was a touch and go.
Oh wow! That had to be a hard time!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
A few years ago we were floating the river that runs through our town. I was riding on the front of the raft and we ended up getting pulled to the side of the river and under some low hanging branches. I got pushed onto my back into the bottom of the raft as we were going under the branches and then the front of the raft gone hung up on branches and was going under the water. Water started pouring into the front of the raft. I was stuck on my back and couldn't help my husband get the raft unstuck. We had our kids with us but they were further back in the raft. I remember thinking, "This is how people die floating down the river." We had floated it 20+ times before and never had a problem. He was finally able to get it unstuck and the front of the raft bobbed up and I was able to get out of the bottom of the raft. But it was a pretty scary few minutes I won't forget.
This is why I won’t go! I had a bad (but nothing like yours!) experience getting caught in a current floating down the Salt River as a teenager. So glad you were all okay!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I almost couldn’t read yours. I can’t handle water when I can’t see the bottom and I shivered just reading your account of that pond! You must be a strong swimmer!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was flying home from a business trip in Georgia when the person next to me noticed a small flame on the plane's engine. The captain came over to see and decided to make an emergency landing in Oklahoma. When the plane landed, there were all sorts of emergency vehicles on the runway. Thankfully, the plane landed safely.
It was quite scary not knowing if the flame was going to set the whole engine on fire, or make it explode!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I almost couldn’t read yours. I can’t handle water when I can’t see the bottom and I shivered just reading your account of that pond! You must be a strong swimmer!
Not so much a strong swimmer, as a desperate paddler!
Old 05-23-2022, 11:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
Oh my goodness, I'm scared just reading this!! How frightening to be helpless and to have your kids with you!! I'm sure you thought "this is it". You were very luck to have gotten unstuck!!

Old 05-23-2022, 11:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
Oh my, Dalis!! How awful!! With a brand new baby!! SO frightening!!

Old 05-23-2022, 11:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Oh wow - that's SO dangerous and you were lucky - Happily both of you were fine. How frightening that must have been!!

Old 05-23-2022, 11:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I was flying home from a business trip in Georgia when the person next to me noticed a small flame on the plane's engine. The captain came over to see and decided to make an emergency landing in Oklahoma. When the plane landed, there were all sorts of emergency vehicles on the runway. Thankfully, the plane landed safely.
It was quite scary not knowing if the flame was going to set the whole engine on fire, or make it explode!
That's such a fear of mine!! How frightening that must have been!! Apparently, they took it very seriously if the emergency vehicles were there to meet the plane. Thankfully, you landed safely.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:57 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Yes. My then boyfriend was a musician and one of his regular gigs paid him cash once a month, so it was a lot at a time. He was walking me to my car as it was late and we just got the door open and a car came around the corner, the driver jumped out, and the back door opened to see a man holding a rifle pointed at us. The driver yanked the necklace off my neck and put his pistol in my chest and yelled “Give me all your money!!!” I looked down at the ground and said I didn’t have any. Ronnie said “I have money and it’s in my front pocket. I will give it all to you” and he handed him a wad of 20s. They jumped back in their car and drove away. My purse was on the seat of my truck and they never asked for it. The necklace was cheap zirconia. That night , for the first time in over a year, I change my Diamond cross necklace to this cheap one.

We went right to the Glendale police department but they were never found. I doubt they even bothered by the boredom in which they took our statements.

To this day, if a car pulls to close to me, I get scared. That was almost 30 years ago. He could have so easily shot us!

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,
Speak Kindly and Leave the rest to God.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:02 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
The most danger I was ever in was in a boat. A bunch of us were traveling down a river and we had to go through a lock. The water was going down so that we could get onto the next level of the river. Our boat, somehow, got hung up on the wall and down went the water - WAY DOWN - and we were just hanging there, on the wall!

The lock master had to raise the level back up so we could be rescued!
I’m not sure I can read everyone’s stories. I freak out. I would have been screaming if that happened to me.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,
Speak Kindly and Leave the rest to God.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

As a kid we stayed in a caravan, and there was carbon monoxide.
Luckily my sister woke up and feeling weird.
She woke up my dad and he opend the door and fainted and fell trough the glass salon table.
We all woke up and got out the caravan.
Better not think what happened when my sister didn't wake up
Old 05-24-2022, 12:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had an employee who suffered from mental illness stop coming to work suddenly. When I inquired why he wasn't showing up, he told me that his dogs were telling him to kill me, so to keep from killing me he stopped coming in. He didn't want to kill me, but apparently the dogs were pretty insistent and he was not sure he could hold out if he was near me.

When I told HR about it, they told me there was little they could do to protect me if he actually planned to kill me, which was mind blowing. I told my office mate that if we saw him coming, we were in an office up over the production floor and could see a lot, she was to go down the back stairs and run like hell. Once she was gone, I could try to get away, but I didn't want us together and her getting hurt because of me.

The police went to his home to talk to him about the threats and found it in deplorable condition. Apparently he had been talking dogs off the street, from backyards, etc. for a while and keeping them trapped in the house. Many of them were sick and eventually had to be put down. The house itself was so bad, full of feces and urine, that the city had to condemn as a health hazard and demolish it. They said there was no other option, that is how bad it was.

It was all over the news for a few days and I couldn't even look at it because it made me ill and it made me feel guilty. What could I have possibly done to this man to center in his violent delusions? Apparently, he did not like being told what to do by a woman. It reminded him of his mother and he did not have a good relationship with his mother.

My employee was hospitalized for a complete mental collapse and spent over a year in inpatient therapy. I worked third shift and in the beginning of his hospitalization he would call me at working crying because by telling the police what was going on, I had killed all his dogs. He said that is why they wanted him to kill me, so that I wouldn't get them all killed. It was scary and sad. I honestly felt as bad for him as I did terrified of him. There was no doubt he was sick, but scary sick.

When he was better he wanted to return to work and my employer asked me if I would be okay with it and I said I wouldn't be. I was mind blown that they even asked the question. They said they had to have a formal objection from me for the union, like I was the only person who wasn't safe. People who snap and kill at work usually kill more than just their "target," so no one was safe. I felt terrible that I had to be the one to say no and prevent him from getting his job back, but what else could I do.

In the end he moved to Florida to live with his mother so that she could make sure he stayed on his meds. I haven't heard anything more about him since then, but that is one situation that I will never forget.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 05-24-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachimac View Post
Yes. My then boyfriend was a musician and one of his regular gigs paid him cash once a month, so it was a lot at a time. He was walking me to my car as it was late and we just got the door open and a car came around the corner, the driver jumped out, and the back door opened to see a man holding a rifle pointed at us. The driver yanked the necklace off my neck and put his pistol in my chest and yelled “Give me all your money!!!” I looked down at the ground and said I didn’t have any. Ronnie said “I have money and it’s in my front pocket. I will give it all to you” and he handed him a wad of 20s. They jumped back in their car and drove away. My purse was on the seat of my truck and they never asked for it. The necklace was cheap zirconia. That night , for the first time in over a year, I change my Diamond cross necklace to this cheap one.

We went right to the Glendale police department but they were never found. I doubt they even bothered by the boredom in which they took our statements.

To this day, if a car pulls to close to me, I get scared. That was almost 30 years ago. He could have so easily shot us!
That IS a life threatening situation, Susie!! I'd be the same way about a car coming close too. I know you were happy to be alive - how frightening!!!

Old 05-24-2022, 12:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I had an employee who suffered from mental illness stop coming to work suddenly. When I inquired why he wasn't showing up, he told me that his dogs were telling him to kill me, so to keep from killing me he stopped coming in. He didn't want to kill me, but apparently the dogs were pretty insistent and he was not sure he could hold out if he was near me.

When I told HR about it, they told me there was little they could do to protect me if he actually planned to kill me, which was mind blowing. I told my office mate that if we saw him coming, we were in an office up over the production floor and could see a lot, she was to go down the back stairs and run like hell. Once she was gone, I could try to get away, but I didn't want us together and her getting hurt because of me.

The police went to his home to talk to him about the threats and found it in deplorable condition. Apparently he had been talking dogs off the street, from backyards, etc. for a while and keeping them trapped in the house. Many of them were sick and eventually had to be put down. The house itself was so bad, full of feces and urine, that the city had to condemn as a health hazard and demolish it. They said there was no other option, that is how bad it was.

It was all over the news for a few days and I couldn't even look at it because it made me ill and it made me feel guilty. What could I have possibly done to this man to center in his violent delusions? Apparently, he did not like being told what to do by a woman. It reminded him of his mother and he did not have a good relationship with his mother.

My employee was hospitalized for a complete mental collapse and spent over a year in inpatient therapy. I worked third shift and in the beginning of his hospitalization he would call me at working crying because by telling the police what was going on, I had killed all his dogs. He said that is why they wanted him to kill me, so that I wouldn't get them all killed. It was scary and sad. I honestly felt as bad for him as I did terrified of him. There was no doubt he was sick, but scary sick.

When he was better he wanted to return to work and my employer asked me if I would be okay with it and I said I wouldn't be. I was mind blown that they even asked the question. They said they had to have a formal objection from me for the union, like I was the only person who wasn't safe. People who snap and kill at work usually kill more than just their "target," so no one was safe. I felt terrible that I had to be the one to say no and prevent him from getting his job back, but what else could I do.

In the end he moved to Florida to live with his mother so that she could make sure he stayed on his meds. I haven't heard anything more about him since then, but that is one situation that I will never forget.
This is absolutely chilling!!! To think that you got little to no support blows my mind, too!! How frightened you must have been and working third shift, especially - going in at night - I've worked second shift and it's scary to be alone in the dark walking into your place of work. I'm just shocked to read this! Hugs

Old 05-24-2022, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I was in maybe 5th grade I was almost hit by a car getting off the school bus. We lived on a very busy road, and the bus dropped me off at the end of our slightly hilly, slightly long driveway. I got down the steps and saw this car coming at me on the side of the road, in the dirt shoulder. I ran up the driveway as close to the house as I could get. Turns out the car's breaks weren't working or he was going to fast to stop for the bus so decided to go in the ditch instead of hitting the bus! It was scary, but thankfully I didn't panic and freeze but instead ran.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatasluis View Post
As a kid we stayed in a caravan, and there was carbon monoxide.
Luckily my sister woke up and feeling weird.
She woke up my dad and he opend the door and fainted and fell trough the glass salon table.
We all woke up and got out the caravan.
Better not think what happened when my sister didn't wake up
Oh my - carbon monoxide is such a dangerous thing!! It must have been really bad for your dad to have passed out. You were very fortunate!!

Old 05-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These stories are scary! I have a couple.

We used to go camping at a lake with my family and a couple other families when I was little. I was around 5. All the kids would roam around in a big pack without much (if any) adult supervision (keep in mind that this was 50 years ago). One day, they had closed the swimming area of the lake because someone had seen a snake so I was standing on the dock extending from a snack-bar over the lake. All the lifeguards were off trying to find the snake to see if it was venomous, I guess. A mentally disabled boy came up behind me and pushed me in -- I suppose thinking it was a joke. But, I couldn't swim yet and I distinctly remember drowning until a nice teenage girl jumped in and saved my life.

The second time was a couple years ago. We were hiking out in the wilderness -- really far from anywhere in Southern Utah. We were hiking a remote slot canyon and I was almost bit by a rattlesnake that rose up to strike right in front of me (I was in the lead). My daughter screamed or I wouldn't even have seen it. Normally a rattlesnake bite isn't fatal but we were HOURS from anywhere to get help and had no cell service so I sometimes think about how very badly that could have gone wrong if she hadn't seen it.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
When I was in maybe 5th grade I was almost hit by a car getting off the school bus. We lived on a very busy road, and the bus dropped me off at the end of our slightly hilly, slightly long driveway. I got down the steps and saw this car coming at me on the side of the road, in the dirt shoulder. I ran up the driveway as close to the house as I could get. Turns out the car's breaks weren't working or he was going to fast to stop for the bus so decided to go in the ditch instead of hitting the bus! It was scary, but thankfully I didn't panic and freeze but instead ran.
Oh my goodness, that must have been SO scary - especially you being so young. Your instinct must have just kicked in!! Sometimes, that saves us!

Old 05-28-2022, 03:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
These stories are scary! I have a couple.

We used to go camping at a lake with my family and a couple other families when I was little. I was around 5. All the kids would roam around in a big pack without much (if any) adult supervision (keep in mind that this was 50 years ago). One day, they had closed the swimming area of the lake because someone had seen a snake so I was standing on the dock extending from a snack-bar over the lake. All the lifeguards were off trying to find the snake to see if it was venomous, I guess. A mentally disabled boy came up behind me and pushed me in -- I suppose thinking it was a joke. But, I couldn't swim yet and I distinctly remember drowning until a nice teenage girl jumped in and saved my life.

The second time was a couple years ago. We were hiking out in the wilderness -- really far from anywhere in Southern Utah. We were hiking a remote slot canyon and I was almost bit by a rattlesnake that rose up to strike right in front of me (I was in the lead). My daughter screamed or I wouldn't even have seen it. Normally a rattlesnake bite isn't fatal but we were HOURS from anywhere to get help and had no cell service so I sometimes think about how very badly that could have gone wrong if she hadn't seen it.
These both give me chills!! Drowning is one of my big fears and snakes are a HUGE fear! You're right - IF you'd been bitten, it could have been fatal given where you were!! I'm shivering just hinking of them both!!