Sweet Shoppe Designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Ideas for Documenting History

I work at a local elementary school. Like most area schools, yesterday we sent our kids home for at least 6 weeks. One teacher challenged his students to keep a journal while they are away from school. He told them they are living through history and someday the next generation will ask them what it was like, much like today they learn about things like 9/11 from the generation before them. Anne Frank's diary still inspires and educates. I love this suggestion and am encouraging my kids to do the same.

Here are some additional ideas for documenting this time in our history.

- Headlines: They change daily. Jot down a couple each day. Consider national, local and worldwide new sources as well as cultural ones like arts, sports and education as they are all are changing in dramatic ways.

- Cancellations/shut downs: What is closed your area and in the world? Keep a list.

- Funny moments/memes: Grab your favorites. Forum members already have a great list going here.

- Heros and helpers: I see people in our area mobilizing to provide meals, tutoring, house checks for elderly, etc. How is your family supporting one another and helping others? Who is helping you? What resources are you turning to to get through?

- Journals: Take the time each day and write your thoughts. Talk about the news and your personal experiences. Be honest about your feelings. It not only will help your mental state, but it will also be a piece of history for those after you.

Do you have any other ideas we can add to this list? I'd love to hear them.