Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Ideas for Documenting History

I work at a local elementary school. Like most area schools, yesterday we sent our kids home for at least 6 weeks. One teacher challenged his students to keep a journal while they are away from school. He told them they are living through history and someday the next generation will ask them what it was like, much like today they learn about things like 9/11 from the generation before them. Anne Frank's diary still inspires and educates. I love this suggestion and am encouraging my kids to do the same.

Here are some additional ideas for documenting this time in our history.

- Headlines: They change daily. Jot down a couple each day. Consider national, local and worldwide new sources as well as cultural ones like arts, sports and education as they are all are changing in dramatic ways.

- Cancellations/shut downs: What is closed your area and in the world? Keep a list.

- Funny moments/memes: Grab your favorites. Forum members already have a great list going here.

- Heros and helpers: I see people in our area mobilizing to provide meals, tutoring, house checks for elderly, etc. How is your family supporting one another and helping others? Who is helping you? What resources are you turning to to get through?

- Journals: Take the time each day and write your thoughts. Talk about the news and your personal experiences. Be honest about your feelings. It not only will help your mental state, but it will also be a piece of history for those after you.

Do you have any other ideas we can add to this list? I'd love to hear them.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Great Ideas Misty! Where in WA state are you?

I totally took screenshots of all the emails of my kids' cancelled stuff as well as the governor's school closure mandate!

I really think the next SSD collab should be "shut in" themed!
Old 03-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Great Ideas Misty! Where in WA state are you?

I totally took screenshots of all the emails of my kids' cancelled stuff as well as the governor's school closure mandate!

I really think the next SSD collab should be "shut in" themed!
I'm in the south Snohomish/Mill Creek area. The first documented case in the country was near here. The high school student who tested positive a few weeks back was at my son's high school. I love the idea of keeping school correspondence.

Last edited by Misty Cato; 03-14-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
I'm in the south Snohomish/Mill Creek area. The first documented case in the country was near here. The high school student who tested positive a few weeks back was at my son's high school. I love the idea of keeping school correspondence.
My daughter was scheduled to have a volleyball tourney at Lynnwood HS right after that happened. Crazy! Stay healthy!

Side note- one of my best friends from dental hygiene lives in bothell!
Old 03-14-2020, 02:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Great ideas, Misty! I was thinking about documenting it as I left Fred Meyer yesterday. It's just craziness!!
Old 03-14-2020, 02:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am going to do this. I would do it for project life anyway, but I'm going to make separate therapy and documentary pages as well. And get back into my paper journal. We just received notice that our county libraries are all closing at the end of the day until April 6. Breaking my heart, people!

Old 03-14-2020, 02:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love this idea Misty. I have a couple of pages where I captured the current news:

I did these pages as part of Project 365 in 2010:

Last edited by jacinda; 03-14-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Misty's template is a great place to start:

Old 03-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is a great idea. I told my kids I wanted them to journal on their phones these next few weeks. While we were out yesterday I told them that I wanted photos of them standing in the empty aisles. They were like, "why??" where I proceeded to tell them, one day it will be a piece of history and it's documented through photos!

Love the screenshot ideas Amie!! We are getting inundated from the school and post right now with a bunch of rules, regulations and guidelines as they try to keep all of us safe and healthy on post. That's a great way to preserve them!
Old 03-14-2020, 02:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I am going to do this. I would do it for project life anyway, but I'm going to make separate therapy and documentary pages as well. And get back into my paper journal. We just received notice that our county libraries are all closing at the end of the day until April 6. Breaking my heart, people!
Right? My oldest just complained to me that she NEEDS her books as she begged me to take her to the library, that's closed I feel so badly for her but I'm not sure what I can do for her since she hates e-reading and I can't have the extra added weight in our next move from buying her books that she'll have read in a day or two!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great ideas! Things that make you go hmmmm....
Old 03-14-2020, 04:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Thanks for thinking of these. I'm going to dig them back out myself and do a page.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All of these are great and I'll have to join in with at least a few things for the album. This is definitely history!

Old 03-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've been screenshotting and journaling, too. One of the things that has been interesting is a map of confirmed cases that I record a few times a week. When I started, NY had just gotten its first few cases and there were only a handful of states impacted. I knew things would get worse, but I couldn't have imagined the speed at which it would all change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Right? My oldest just complained to me that she NEEDS her books as she begged me to take her to the library, that's closed I feel so badly for her but I'm not sure what I can do for her since she hates e-reading and I can't have the extra added weight in our next move from buying her books that she'll have read in a day or two!
Are there any used bookstores in your area? We have a really good one that gets a lot of traffic here, so there are always new and popular books in stock. Best thing is that you can sell them back when you're done and get credit toward your next purchase.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-14-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Are there any used bookstores in your area? We have a really good one that gets a lot of traffic here, so there are always new and popular books in stock. Best thing is that you can sell them back when you're done and get credit toward your next purchase.

There might be but I’m not sure. It’s not something that would have been on our radar as we have always utilized the library. Guess I’ll have to ask about this on the local group because I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great idea! I think I'll have to do this too!
Old 03-14-2020, 06:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post

Oh wow! these would be perfect for what is happening!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What a great idea, Misty! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with Amie about the emails. I've set up a special folder for all the ones that I'm getting. Also, document adjustments/changes in learning and work environments.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have those templates. Now would be a good time to pull them out. We have so much happening in our family right now that it would be great to document those things as well as this. My son, daughter and I all have graduations this year, my step daughter is expecting, etc. It is just a busy time. We don't have time for quarantines! (So far we have not been placed under quarantine in our area)
Old 03-15-2020, 07:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is a great idea for sure. I don't think my son realizes how significant this pandemic is. I mean, empty shelves in stores...I'm almost 46 and never experienced this in my life (except for when a store closed to be renovated but not to this extend). Right now our government is having another debate on wether or not to close the schools...(yes, that's still not decided here)...there is just so much going on and so much uncertainty that it is just very frightening.