Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2016, 11:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Camera - what do you use?

As I was looking at our Easter pics on my phone today, I was thinking back to a time when I had a big DSLR (Canon 10D... it was YEARS ago). I loved the photos I got with that thing, but I hated lugging it around.

Now, I shoot pretty much exclusively with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). I love that it's always on me, and I can get a quick pic any time I need to.

I am not going to win any photography awards with it, but it works for me.

What do you guys use?

Last edited by Libby Pritchett; 03-27-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A big clunky DSLR (Canon EOS 600D) - phone pics are never good enough for me!! (I need a better phone). I lug the DSLR everywhere when I know I'll be taking photos and I'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me. The phone is only for when I don't have my DSLR with me.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love my phone cam. It's not professional. I will win no awards from any pic taken on it.

But I love it anyway. I love the downright nitty gritty pictures. .. and I love the blurriness and how they may come out discolored and imperfect.

But scrapping my life and the stories my kids will look back on makes me feel as if totally imperfect and crappy cell phone pics are the best to use for memory keeping. I guess perfection is just not something I'm into. I'm into honesty and my pics will prove it lmao

But then again I love new gadgets rofl <3
Old 03-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

I almost always use my Samsung Galaxy S5 as well but also love using my Canon DSLR as well just hate lugging it around as well. When I want really, really good pics - mostly vacation, family trips, etc.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I almost always use my iPhone 6s camera now. I love the quality of it and the big size it gives like any camera now. Hubby also takes some photos with his DSLR every now and then, so I get a mixed of photos.
I can never use DSLR unless it's on auto... I don't know, I just never remember what's what and my hands are too shaky.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't love my iPhone photos (I have a 5 and a 5c), but they are better than nothing when I don't have my Canon 70D with me.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got all my bases covered. I've got a Nikon 800 and 610, a smaller mirrorless Sony and my iPhone 6. I use them all often. I love taking photos (which is why I'm a photographer).
Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have FOUR cameras lying around if you include the one on my phone. I have a nikon D40x which I love, but never use due to it's size and weight. Now if I were to go out and just photograph I'd take it, but I never have time for that after I had kids. My second largest is the Canon G12, another favorite and sligthly less bulky, but still too big to carry around daily. This one is my trusted travel companion when we're off to another country though, it gives me good quality pictures, but isn't huge. My most recent one is the olympus tough something that I bought last year, the day before we left for France. I wanted something I could bring to the beach and that could stand the rough treatment of toddler hands (being dropped on the ground/chewed on and whatever else a toddler would do to it), and I got some awesome beach shots, underwater shots and the most perfect splash shots of my boy jumping into the pool. So I'm not regretting it one moment. But for my day to day pictures, I'm an iphone gal all the way. I love how I can turn it on silent, sneak up on my kids and take pictures of them without ruining the candid moment. If I take less than a 100 pictures each week, I've been slacking. And the quality is good enough for my PL albums, some are good enough for bigger layouts and I'm okay with that.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Panasonic lumix systemcamera.
A compact body and u can chance lenses.
I dont like to carry around huge and heavy cameras
Old 03-28-2016, 04:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just love my Canon 7D but since it's heavy I don't carry it with me unless I KNOW I'm going to take pictures.
Whenever there's an event or something, the camera is with me.
I don't like phone pics for anything more than selfies or occasional everyday shots which could be scrapped just because. I don't see how I can rely on my phone to take awesome photos in low light conditions, at events where there's a lot of movement, etc. Nope, not for me.
Yes, everyone has a fancy phone with a decent camera nowadays and I admit it's so comfy and cool to just take out your phone and snap something - I do it too. But when it comes to priceless memories -- it's a no-no for me.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 03-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummyd

I love my Nikon d5100 and all its amazing lenses but if wanting a hand free approach and more ease (when walking the dog and have the little ones with me) I do use my phone and love the pictures my S6 takes.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon Rebel T3i that I use quite often and an Olympus bridge camera (smaller than the Rebel but takes great photos) and this stays in my car because it's small enough to keep in the console between the front seats. I don't have a smart phone anymore and don't want one. My daughter has an iPhone 6 and those photos far from satisfy me.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

At the moment it's my phone (iphone 6s just upgraded this year from a 5c and am happier with the camera for it) but that's because my big DSLR is off being repaired at Canon

I will say that I am trying to let go of the need to for perfect pictures for every day photos - because I would find myself not enjoying the moment as much. But I adore taking pictures and am really missing my big camera, I do have a back up (from when I was taking pictures for business/other people) but it doesn't handle low light stuff as well so I haven't really used it as much unless we are at outside stuff like soccer games and I know I will want more than just a couple of pictures.

If I'm at school helping with things I like having my phone though because I want pictures but just can't juggle helping with kids/event stuff and my camera well and still get pictures so the phone is easier.

I'm in the same boat as Anelia - I do love having my phone for every day shots, but for more special events, or vacations I just am not happy with my phone pictures and want more control...though I will say I'm glad to have my phone rather than no pictures at all
Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use my dslr as often as possible.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For special occasions, I use my DSLR, but otherwise, it's almost exclusively my iPhone 6. I just got a new Nikon D3300 for Christmas, after pretty much wearing out my Canon Rebel that I'd had forevvver. I'm still getting used to it, but overall, it takes great pics. I'm getting a new lens for my birthday, so hopefully that will inspire me to use my "big camera" even more.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My iphone 5s 90% of the time. My flash for my Canon 7d wasn't even charged yesterday morning, so I got Easter Basket pics with my phone. I did use the big camera outside.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I pretty much use my phone 99% of the time. It's always on me and the everyday/spur of the moment photos helping me capturing those littles stories are more important than the prefect staged photos with the "big girl" camera. I do have a Canon G12 that I will carry with me for when I am going to be taking photos - it's more compact than the DSLR and I get decent photos from it.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

DSLR Canon Mark ii. My "vacation" camera is a Canon 7D.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucaswvu04 View Post

I will say that I am trying to let go of the need to for perfect pictures for every day photos - because I would find myself not enjoying the moment as much.
This was key for me in not replacing my DSLR when it bit the dust. When my older daughter (now 18) was little, I missed out on SO much because I had my big camera with me all the time. Sure, I've got great photos, but I wasn't IN the activities. Now, with my 4 year old, I'm really focusing on experiencing life and enjoying moments. I'm happy with any photos I get, even if they aren't magazine quality.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbamf2you View Post
I love my phone cam. It's not professional. I will win no awards from any pic taken on it.

But I love it anyway. I love the downright nitty gritty pictures. .. and I love the blurriness and how they may come out discolored and imperfect.

But scrapping my life and the stories my kids will look back on makes me feel as if totally imperfect and crappy cell phone pics are the best to use for memory keeping. I guess perfection is just not something I'm into. I'm into honesty and my pics will prove it lmao

But then again I love new gadgets rofl <3
That's how I feel, plus it's THERE when you need it to get that quick shot before that moment disappears. If I depended on my camera, I would never have photos LOL
Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nikon Coolpix that lives in a pocket of my wallet. Pretty much always have it with me.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I've got all my bases covered. I've got a Nikon 800 and 610, a smaller mirrorless Sony and my iPhone 6. I use them all often. I love taking photos (which is why I'm a photographer).
I have different brands, but a similar mix of cameras. I particularly love my new-ish mirrorless camera (Fuji xt-1) because it takes very good photos but is half the size of my DSLR (canon 6D). It's a good vacation camera. Thanks to my iphone, I do take my big cameras with me less often in general but also just take more day-to-day photos than I would have before.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use my Canon T3 usually and it is a pain to carry around but I love the photos! Next Spring I am upgrading! <3 I also use my S6 the other bit of time!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a dSLR (Canon 5D mii) and shoot mostly with the 35mm f/1.4L lens. But it's a heavy thing so I mostly use my iPhone 5 when I'm out which takes good pictures but nowhere near the same as my dSLR.

I'm thinking about getting a Fuji x100t. It's a mirrorless camera with a fixed (non-zoom) lens. It's really light and portable.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilmx100t/
Old 03-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon 7d mark ii but it's heavy so I don't carry it everyday anymore (I used to carry my DSLR everyday when I had a 6d since it was much lighter).

I also use my phone - Samsung S4 - but I need to move photos off it and onto my computer since I'm filling up all my space.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon Rebel somewhere in my house... LOL. I haven't used it an over a year because it's so difficult to drag around in our everyday lives. I prefer my little mirrorless Sony RX100, it's a great camera. When I'm not using that I use the camera on my Samsung S5... but lately my cellphone photos are frustrating me. They're just not quality enough for me. When I remember those moments I want them to be crisp and true to life color. :/

Old 03-28-2016, 04:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also use my iPhone 90% of the time for quick photos. I have a Nikon D90 that I will pull out for special occasions or if I know I'm going to have time for photos. Like most everyone else, I think my DSLR is too darn clunky for everyday stuff. Plus if I take it out somewhere then I'm also carrying my camera bag and extra lenses, etc and then I worry more about losing it and as a result fail to enjoy the moment.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use my Nikon D3200 when we are playing tourist, visiting new areas, in the house and on special occasions.

When I'm out and about and stumble across something, I use my Nikon Coolpix AW130. It's waterproof, shockproof and just amazing. It's small enough that it fits in the diaper bag, my purse and can come out quickly to take photos of the sun setting over Pikes Peak or something amazing while we are out and about.

If I happen to not have any of my cameras, then I use my iPhone 6s camera. If my mom wants to see something (there is a 2-hour time difference between us), I'll use my phone to take photos and send to her because I'm getting lazy to take photos with my good camera, open up the computer, transfer over to something (maybe facebook) and then save the photos on my phone and send to her in a message.

So I guess I use three things when they are convenient for me.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use my mirrorless (Olympus EM-10 mark 2) when I know I'm going to want good photos. It's my go-to camera for vacations, special occasions, and planned photo shoots. It's small enough to fit in a medium purse but takes great photos.

I use my phone (Galaxy S6) for the little everyday moments that I wouldn't be able to capture without it. It does a good enough job even though it doesn't handle low light or motion as well as my mirrorless. I also use it for things like photographing the kids' art and schoolwork.

Because of the convenience I probably take 2/3 of my photos with my phone, and there are weeks when I don't pull out my EM-10 at all. But my phone photos tend to be used on Project Life pages, and my camera photos are the ones I scrap bigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use a canon rebel. I have my iPod and my phone on me always, but I hate the poor quality. I had an Olympus that I loved, but need a new pocket camera since that one is old and has taken quite the beating! It's held up well, but I noticed the photos hadn't been as good lately so I pretty much just let the girls use it when they want. Love the Canon though, and I'm used to dragging it around most places.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If we're going on vacation, I will take my rebel. I took it to Disney, it's perfect for that I think. But I use the kit lens and set it on auto.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've been confused for MONTHS on what I want to do to update my camera. I have a G12 and my older nikon DSLR that has almost bit the dust. I do like my G12 but I miss the depth of field that I can get with the DSLR. I just don't know if i want to get a newer DSLR (D7200) OR a mirrorless sony (A6000) UGH! It's frustrating me not knowing what to do.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Because I like to learn about photography and am finally at a point that I understand and can get great photos with my Canon DSLR (not to mention I invested in a better lens than what it came with), I do take it with me a lot of places. I get annoyed with my phone camera even though I know it's technically a good phone. I'm a person who likes the process of taking the photo and looking for a good angle and my phone just can't do what my DSLR can. However... I also have had to learn to know when not to be thinking of those things and just enjoying the moment. I think there can be a balance between doing something I personally enjoy and also enjoying the moment with my family. So sometimes I DO leave the big camera at home and snap things with my phone if something comes up
Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Canon 60D and a Samsung Galaxy S4.