Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Gamers - xbox one questions

I am going to try pulling off a huge Christmas surprise and get the family set up with a new xbox (all we have now is an old Wii that you can't even get games for anymore). I want to attempt to get everything we need to get it set up and going Christmas day. I know nothing about gaming, so here are my questions ...

The kinect stuff is an addition? It is worth it? Do lots of games require it?

How many controllers would you recommend? It comes with one, so I'm assuming we will need at least one more? Do many games allow for more than 2 players?

I'm thinking about getting one game for each family member. What would be your favorite for the following people...

Girl, age 7 - energetic, feisty, self-proclaimed fashionista, likes racing and adventure-type games

Boy, age 10 - huge sports guy, likes Lego and Star Wars, not allowed to play graphically violent games (games like Lego Star Wars are ok), I'm thinking Madden15?

DH - don't have a clue, I might just get him a gc to choose is own

Any great family games we could all play together?

Anything else I need to think about?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok so we don't have an xbox one (we have a 360), but I know a lot of people who do. Kinect is optional, but it's fun, so if you have the money, get it. I would have at least two controllers and probably a charging station. We usually have 4 controllers so that we can have two charging while we're playing the other two.

game suggestions...

Girl, age 7 - http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Zombies...xbox+one+games it seems stupid, but it's fun.

Boy, age 10 - http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Marvel-Su...xbox+one+games

DH - My hubby suggests this one: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Adva...warfare+xbox+1

Any great family games we could all play together? We love skylanders and all play, but it's only for two at a time http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Tra...+team+xbox+one

Anything else I need to think about? you might want to get your hubby a set of headphones if he's going to get xbox live so you don't have to hear everybody else as they talk or hear what's going on with his game.

Last edited by adi&co.; 11-30-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

double post xx

Old 11-30-2014, 06:28 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I second the above post. We have a kinect with ours, the kids love Dance Central Spotlight (even my nearly 5 year old boy! lol), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is also a fun game for all ages too, I enjoyed playing the story with my son a lot more than I expected to. Maybe your DH would like playing Destiny too, it's become a very popular game and I myself have fallen completely in love with it, presuming he likes shooting things! haha.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We got an Xbox One last year and honestly I regret it for the kids. DH loves it but most of the games even a year later that are available for this system are geared towards teens and adults. The only 2 we've purchased for DS are skylanders, Plants vs. Zombies and Minecraft. DH is taking the xbox with him on deployment and Santa is bringing a wii u for Christmas.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies! That gives me a place to start.

I'll look into the Wii U too Nikki. I thought about one a few years back, shortly after they came out, but it seemed like it was getting very mixed reviews. I'll bet it's better now.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have the Xbox one. It's fun, but there are not a lot of kid friendly games. Lego Marvel Superheroes is on it, rayman is fun, but most of the games available are still adult games or teen games. There is not a lot of availability for them yet either, even a year after release there is a short list of games. I keep hoping that they will add digital games from the xbox that are compatible for purchase since you can't use the actual discs.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We have the wiiu & my kids all LOVE it...girls are 4 & 7, boys are 9 & 12
Old 11-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Actually, a Wii U is probably a good option too. Especially with the new Super Smash Bros game & them bringing out the Amiibos (physical characters to purchase like Disney Infinity & Skylanders) that work on multiple games, rather than just one! My 21 year old brother is a total Nintendo nerd and he showed me it, it's pretty epic. A better option for you if you're looking for more fun & kid friendly games I would think! At least until further down the line when the Xbox One game selection has caught up a little more and with any luck, be dropped in price :P
Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We are surprising our kids with the Wii U for Christmas. We have a Wii & love playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you end up looking into the wii u, my kids faves are:
Super Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 8
Skylanders
Mario 3d World