Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Solid or Pattern?

Earlier this weekend I tried scrapping a layout with a solid background paper and it didn't feel right to me. It looked "weird". So then I went to my gallery and you know what I found? I don't really use a lot of solid color papers, and almost ever for my background!

Now I'm not talking woodgrain background papers or papers that almost look solid, but are embossed or have an outline of some sort, I'm talking single-colored kraft, construction, etc paper!

Here's the thing....prior to this revelation this weekend,

I thought I ALWAYS used solid papers, not every layout, but maybe every second or third layout!

I think I can probably count on ONE HAND the layouts that I've used solid as my background paper (not including my recent ones because that's when I realized I haven't been using solid papers!)

So it got me thinking and wondering.

Are you a solid background paper because patterns don't look right scrapper?

or

Are you a pattern background paper because solid papers don't like right scrapper? (We'll classify woodgrain in this category)

There can't be a middle, because honestly until this revelation, I thought I was in the middle and that's so far from the truth!

Old 10-01-2019, 10:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I rarely use a solid background either. Or not a clean solid... it's too empty for me so if that's my only/best choice then I will throw whatever paints, splatters, scatters, etc on there to mess it up a bit!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
I rarely use a solid background either. Or not a clean solid... it's too empty for me so if that's my only/best choice then I will throw whatever paints, splatters, scatters, etc on there to mess it up a bit!
yes, yes, YES to all of this!!!
Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, I use solid papers on my layouts, but when I do, I put paint splatters on it or I put the solid on top of a pattern and then use the eraser tool to subtly erase area/s of the solid papers like this one or this one. I have a page I made where I used a solid and I wasn't solved with the white space being literal. But there are times when I feel intimidated by bold pattern papers that I will save a copy using a pattern paper and a solid with paint, you know what I mean?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm the opposite. I love solid backgrounds. I use patterned backgrounds on occasion but I far prefer the cleaner look of solids. I find it draws the eye to the photos more easily. It's just my style though. I absolutely admire those who use patterns more, but for myself less is more.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had to go look... haha. I like patterned solids for my backgrounds, usually. I tend to make sure I have some in every kit I've designed because I feel like they are essentials! Papers that from a distance seem solid but when you click to look closer there's a faint texture or pattern there. Those are my favorites. Tone on tone, or a simple pattern like a diagonal stripe, grid, woodgrain, etc. And like Cassie, if it's too plain I love dressing up the background with paint or overlaying with a busier paper with some transparency.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't use solids too much as a main background cause it feels empty and I'm not so good with white space layouts. I will use a solid if I'm blending a large photo to it.... or adding lots of splatters n painty stuff. I do use lots of solids for matting the pics.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to look also. I was surprised at how many solids I've used. I would have thought that I was a pattern gal all the way. Now, I like to layer my background papers, so at least one of the layers is a solid most of the time. It just might not be the one that is on top.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Patterned papers! Unless it is a pretty kraft/cardboard paper... I loooooooooooove some cardboard paper. I remember when that was a trend... such a good time. lol
Old 10-02-2019, 06:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
Well, I use solid papers on my layouts, but when I do, I put paint splatters on it or I put the solid on top of a pattern and then use the eraser tool to subtly erase area/s of the solid papers like this one or this one. I have a page I made where I used a solid and I wasn't solved with the white space being literal. But there are times when I feel intimidated by bold pattern papers that I will save a copy using a pattern paper and a solid with paint, you know what I mean?

yes! to use solid papers, you must use all the paints!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Like Brook I had to go look. So I'd say I was in the middle with a lean to patterns. I have at least one layout on each page of my gallery with a true solid background, albeit dressed with paint, splatters etc.
So I'm not totally adverse to them, but I lean toward at least a tone on tone pattern (or wood) more often than a solid. Unless I'm going bold and use a bold pattern.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
Patterned papers! Unless it is a pretty kraft/cardboard paper... I loooooooooooove some cardboard paper. I remember when that was a trend... such a good time. lol

I just wish listed some cardboard papers (from another designer at a different store...don't kick me out!) yesterday! I thought they were so cool! They could totally make a comeback and I'd be okay with it! :P
Old 10-02-2019, 08:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love using pp and wood grain papers!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am guilty of the same thing lol I always feel like the solids are too plain so I prefer something with even a tone on tone pattern lol
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
I just wish listed some cardboard papers (from another designer at a different store...don't kick me out!) yesterday! I thought they were so cool! They could totally make a comeback and I'd be okay with it! :P

but, yes, I would be ok too! and acrylic alphas!!! I love transparent things!!!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think I fluctuate, it really depends on the type of page I'm doing. I can say that if I do use a solid paper it is most likely, white or a neutral colour.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always love the look of solid backgrounds (SugarBabes Kim B. and Tronesia are two of my fave scrappers who rock the solid backgrounds), and I want to make the solids work for my pages, but like others have said, it feels so plain and empty when I do it. I find that when I do use solids for the background, I have to add some paint, borders, or stamps to make it look "right."
Old 10-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
Those are beautiful layouts!! And yes! I know what you mean! I've done that a lot in the past because it felt like I was missing on a solid piece of paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I'm the opposite. I love solid backgrounds. I use patterned backgrounds on occasion but I far prefer the cleaner look of solids. I find it draws the eye to the photos more easily. It's just my style though. I absolutely admire those who use patterns more, but for myself less is more.
I'm going to have to try this, after DSD of course!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I had to look also. I was surprised at how many solids I've used. I would have thought that I was a pattern gal all the way. Now, I like to layer my background papers, so at least one of the layers is a solid most of the time. It just might not be the one that is on top.
It's an eye-opener, isn't it?!

Quote:
Please bring cardboard and kraft back!! I miss those days!!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's been really interesting to see all the responses, where some were like me and had to go look only to realize differently!

Thank you all that have chimed in already. I really do appreciate it and loved reading your answers!!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

Please bring cardboard and kraft back!! I miss those days!!

hahaha hey. search at the store for "kraft studio basic" and you are going to see that I really try...

Like really really try.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I very rarely use completely plain solid papers, there is usually a woodgrain or soft pattern in it. And if I don't find the perfect soft (barely there) pattern I make my own out of solid and ellies.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Plain solids seem to plain to me. Never thought of the subtle erasing trick! My favorites are woodgrains or subtle prints. If I use a bolder print its usually in smaller areas - a paper tucked behind a photo or something.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
hahaha hey. search at the store for "kraft studio basic" and you are going to see that I really try...

Like really really try.
You need to spread the word
*cough cough*
I think you did like four collabs this week . . . .
Get a few more designers on board and we got ourselves a mutiny.
I mean trend going on!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a weakness for wood grain papers. I also LOVE tone on tone patterned papers. But I like solid ones too for a background, esp. when I want to add a lot of paint and splatters.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like color and texture so most of my pages have patterned paper on the background or if I use a solid it's either textured or I add brushwork, paint, etc to mess it up. Looking at paper patterns and colors usually affects my kit purchase, if I'm not in love with at least a few of the patterns, I usually won't buy it.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a really hard time using pattern papers. I typically stick with Wood, solid black, white or kraft, and very small pops of pattern. I have been trying to go outside the box this year and use bigger pieces of pattern paper, but I still cannot use a full pattern as a background (the very FEW times I have used a full pattern background I haven't loved the layout).
Old 10-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely use solids, I like to make an impact and solid just doesn't do that for me.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think as a beginner i used solids because I was scared of patterns! Lol once i learned how to make them look good I started using a lot of patterned backgrounds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Whether I use pattern or not really depends on the kit I’m using haha! And the pic too, but it’s more the kit specifically. I love plain white backgrounds

Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I like color and texture so most of my pages have patterned paper on the background or if I use a solid it's either textured or I add brushwork, paint, etc to mess it up. Looking at paper patterns and colors usually affects my kit purchase, if I'm not in love with at least a few of the patterns, I usually won't buy it.
I agree on this one! I factor in the papers/patterns when I'm buying a kit--and how the example layouts use those pattern papers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I have a really hard time using pattern papers. I typically stick with Wood, solid black, white or kraft, and very small pops of pattern. I have been trying to go outside the box this year and use bigger pieces of pattern paper, but I still cannot use a full pattern as a background (the very FEW times I have used a full pattern background I haven't loved the layout).
and I love that about your layouts! Your layouts draw me in because they are opposite of mine and I'm intrigued by your style!