Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Class of 2011

So yesterday, I totally lost it. I was working on a layout about my son. I was putting his class photos through the years on a layout and I just started bawling because in one week - he will graduate from high school and then in two and a half months, he'll be off to college in Utah.

So, it got me to wondering, how many other mamas are in my boat? How many mamas have graduates this year? (It doesn't have to be high school graduates - it can be kindergarten, middle school, high school, or even college).

Here's a layout I did of my son. This is his official senior photo.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have anyone graduating - but my baby brother is graduating from HS and another brother is graduating from college. That means that my parents will now be empty nesters! (it's been 32 years since they've been alone! that's a long time! lol) It will be really weird going to visit them and not have anyone home with them. But it's all very exciting at the same time - just a little bittersweet.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 6 year old will be graduating kindergarten next week. <sob>
Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

gosh, i'd lose it too, paula! (((HUGS)))

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Paula...I would be bawling too. I just look at my kids and if a single sentimental thought floats through my head, I'm crying. You're a good Mama. Congratulations to you and to your son!!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No graduates this year, but DS has been through 2 graduations in the past 5 years - high school and Marine Corps boot camp. While they are poignant moments, (especially not having his dad there to share in them), I was more excited and proud than anything. It was a wondrous time in his life - he was raised by 2 loving parents and it was time for him to fly on his own.

Congratulations on your son's graduation - enjoy watching him grow into his own life
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

hugs Paula! It's a really hard time on moms. Congratulations to your son!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone! I am excited for him to start his life as an adult and excited for him to have his own life experiences. It just makes me sad that he isn't my little shadow anymore.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

We have a Kindergarten graduate this year, but around here the pre-k graduation is a bigger deal. It's still sad though that his days of playing on the playground will be over. His being the little fish in the school will be over.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Awww congrats to you and your son Paula!!! You must be so proud!!!

I only have one milestone this end of school year: My oldest DS graduates Kindergarten this year!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know Paula - I had my big breakdown moment when my son was on the airplane to leave for boot camp and pressed his hand up to the window as he was taxiing down the runway, and then as soon as the plane was in the sky I totally lost it. Thinking about him leaving never affected me, but when the time came it was awful.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I haven't lost it yet, but I was pretty upset after the whole prom thing....I am sure it will be totally bittersweet in 3 weeks..{they graduate June 13th}...she will be staying home for a year or wo going to the local community college and then transferring to a business college 5 hours away...for me, I haven't had time to really think about it since I have the 3 other kids that demand so much....but when my youngest graduates we will be in the same boat as Erin's parents where we will have not have had an empty house for 37 years!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I have no "milestones" this year, but next year, my son will graduate from Grade 6 and leave Elementary school to go to high school (our high school is 7-12). I can hardly think about it, and I still have a year left.

I just did 2 kindy graduations in the past 2 years, I needed a break from the emotional stuff this year LOL
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would lose it too, Paula! ((HUGS)) It is so hard watching them grow and get more independent. I have seen 1 step-daughter and 3 adopted kids all graduate and move out. It was hard but I knew it was coming....it was different. The adopted kids I only had as teenagers so I didn't have all those sweet little moments when they were younger. My step-daughter was living at her mom's when she graduated so it didn't seem so BIG to me. It was different. I KNOW I will be a basket case when Landon graduates. I have had him from 1 years old so it will be harder!

I love that LO too! What a great picture of him!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had a Kindy Grad this year...he goes to a private Christian school so we get out a little earlier than most..we graduated on May 9 and I got a little teary eyed that night too.

We were double proud of him though b/c he received 3 out of the 4 academic awards in his class of 15. Reading, Phonics and Math (he didn't get handwriting lol..I think he gets that from me )plus he was on the HeadMaster's List all year. I know it's just kindergarten..but I was still a proud Mama

Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't believe he graduated from kindy Nikki!! It seems like yesterday he was a baby. And WTG Avery on all his accomplishments!! You have every right to be a proud mama.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Josiah would be graduating PreK if we could've afforded it this year
Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

my son graduates next year from high school and my other son will graduate middle school next year as well. my daughter graduated high school last year so I dont have any big milestones this year.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

LOL I have THREE graduates this year, My 5 year old is graduating Pre-K, I have one graduating 5th grade (going to middle school) and one graduating 8th grade (going to high school).

www.byrdsblessings.com
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My middle child is graduating from preschool. Around here that's the big "little kid" graduation since K is all day and not much different from first grade.

My youngest starts preschool in the fall after being home with me for all of her 2.5 years. But out of the blue today we decided to send her to camp with her brothers 1 morning a week this summer. She's so excited, and I mostly am too. First time in 7.5 years that I'll have a few hours by myself each week. I'm looking forward to it, but also tearing up a little since she's my last baby.