Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-24-2021, 04:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What do I need to know before switching to a Mac?

I'm planning to make the switch this summer sometime. I did use a Mac when I was getting my degree in photography, so I get how they work, but I finished school in 2014, so I'm a little foggy on some things.

Should I just buy through the Apple Store? Do I need their mouse or can I use a regular USB? What else would I need to start with?

Anything else you can think of that would be helpful? I know there will be a learning curve for sure.

I'll need to organize all my scrap stuff again, which will suck.

My current laptop isn't bad, I've only had it about a year, but I've been doing this long enough that I'm ready to get a MacBook.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I won't be any help because I probably haven't used a Mac for 20+ years, but I can't figure out whether to envy your new computer or cringe in horror at the idea that you have to redo your scrap supply organization! I'm sure you'll love it, so enjoy!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

wahoo Mac is the best, IMHO .
it won't take long to get used to, and you will love every minute of it. I used to design across both mac and pc and mac far outweighs pc, for me.

I'm pretty sure you can use a USB mouse as the mac mice are now blue toothed and have no attached wire so need to be recharged once in a while (through the computer, not battery operated) but just make sure your mac has a usb port. the new laptops don't... you would have to buy an attachment that gives you usb ports.

other than that, enjoy enjoy enjoy xx
Old 04-24-2021, 07:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you! I figured it’s time. I’m so tired of replacing my computers every couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCee View Post
wahoo Mac is the best, IMHO .
it won't take long to get used to, and you will love every minute of it. I used to design across both mac and pc and mac far outweighs pc, for me.

I'm pretty sure you can use a USB mouse as the mac mice are now blue toothed and have no attached wire so need to be recharged once in a while (through the computer, not battery operated) but just make sure your mac has a usb port. the new laptops don't... you would have to buy an attachment that gives you usb ports.

other than that, enjoy enjoy enjoy xx
Old 04-24-2021, 07:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know! I have a couple smaller projects I’d like to finish since they’re organized and then I’ll make the jump before the summer vacation & busy holiday scraping season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I won't be any help because I probably haven't used a Mac for 20+ years, but I can't figure out whether to envy your new computer or cringe in horror at the idea that you have to redo your scrap supply organization! I'm sure you'll love it, so enjoy!
Old 04-25-2021, 02:56 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

If you are getting a new mac, get a Bluetooth mouse. I have a MacBook for work and the new ones don't have USB ports, you will need an adaptor. I use a Logitec mouse that I love for both my work mac and my personal PC. If its been a while, buy your mac from an apple store, they are super helpful with set-up and might even give you good advice about redoing your library x
Old 04-25-2021, 08:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireG View Post
If you are getting a new mac, get a Bluetooth mouse. I have a MacBook for work and the new ones don't have USB ports, you will need an adaptor. I use a Logitec mouse that I love for both my work mac and my personal PC. If its been a while, buy your mac from an apple store, they are super helpful with set-up and might even give you good advice about redoing your library x
Old 04-25-2021, 08:39 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I have a MacBook and tried to find a USB mouse that would work but could not. I bought the blue tooth and LOVE it.
As for where to purchase one, I have no advice. We bought mine at BestBuy because there is no Apple Store locally.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mac are pretty much plug and play. Some things will feel really different, different places.

The big thing is - check to see if you qualify for the Education Discount for Apple, will save you some $$.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I thought about switching from PC to Mac back in 2016 when I needed anew desktop.... the guy at BestBuy told me that I also needed all new EHDs. I don't know if it's true or not.... I am even considering it now since this computer in now 5 years old... but my laptop is brand new and I love the 17 inch screen on that.... my girls have MacBooks but they seem small.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I thought about switching from PC to Mac back in 2016 when I needed anew desktop.... the guy at BestBuy told me that I also needed all new EHDs. I don't know if it's true or not.... I am even considering it now since this computer in now 5 years old... but my laptop is brand new and I love the 17 inch screen on that.... my girls have MacBooks but they seem small.

It's kinda true. When I switched to a Mac I had to format all my old EHDs to a Mac. It's easy to do but when you do so you'll lose everything on it so you have to have a backup first. I did a lot of shuffling around between EHDs at first. Now I just buy G-Drives b/c they're formatted for Macs right out of the box.

Ps. I hear you on the screens! I had a 13 inch Macbook and a 21 inch iMac. I upgraded to the 27 inch iMac and now I never touch the other two b/c I'm too spoiled with the big screen! Lol!
Old 05-11-2021, 02:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was SO close to purchasing a Mac and then the issues with the M1 chip and the SSD drive came to light and I decided not to bite the bullet quite yet. I am still considering it as I am tired of the Windows laptop I have (it has been a constant headache since I got it). I'm still considering but I do have some questions. I think I'll start a thread to see if anyone has answers instead of hijacking yours.