Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default How old were you...

when you got your driver's license?

Darla's thread got me remembering myself as a teen driver...back then in MS you got your permit at 14 and your license at 15!! I was driving at 15 and it totally amazes me..of course growing up in the country I'd been driving since I was old enough to reach the pedals. My Papaw used to come get me in his old green Ford pickup and let me drive to the store and I don't think I was more than 11 or 12. Craziness! NO WAY would I let my kiddos do that! lol

I think now the law says you have to have a driver's ed course first..but we didn't back then...I went on my 15 birthday to get mine and I can remember my parents being glad that I was finally legal b/c they then had me to run errands and take my younger sisters and brothers where they needed to go lol.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I got my learner's permit on my 15th birthday and my license on my 16th birthday. I wasn't waiting at all.

It's funny because I know a couple teens right now that don't even want their license and they are 16. For me it was a big deal, I guess for them it's not.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post
I got my learner's permit on my 15th birthday and my license on my 16th birthday. I wasn't waiting at all.

It's funny because I know a couple teens right now that don't even want their license and they are 16. For me it was a big deal, I guess for them it's not.
I know! I have a younger cousin that will be 18 in a few months and she still shows no interest in getting hers! I can remember literally counting down the days until I had mine lol

Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm 26 and don't have mine! I don't think I ever want to drive, too many crazy people on the roads and the cost of it puts me off!
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit at 14 but there is NO WAY I should have been out on the road! I was a terrible driver. I got my license shortly after that, but we moved to a different state before I was 16, so I had to go through driver's ed and everything there. I was a much better at 16 than at 14. That's a crazy age to have kids on the road, even in our backwoods part of the country LOL
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Drivers' Ed at 15. Then I got my permit and had to wait an insane amount of time (lol I think it was six months, but it SEEMED insane!) to get my license. I think we had to be 16 and two months or something like that.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

14?! You can't start your driving lessons until you're 17 here lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I never took driver's ed. I got my license on my 16th birthday. But, I grew up in the country and I'd been driving, like Nikki, since 11 or 12. I used to drive myself to my night basketball games at school since my mom worked 3 jobs and my grandma had babysitting kids until late!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was 21 I think. I just had no need or interest really lol
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had to take driver's ed, which I took at 15. I took the test and got my license on my 16th birthday. It was a huge deal in my world.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracelikerain View Post
I got my permit at 14 but there is NO WAY I should have been out on the road! That's a crazy age to have kids on the road, even in our backwoods part of the country LOL
Word. This is totally me.

I can't believe my parents let me behind the wheel at 14. I can remember secretly being freaked out by all the responsibility. Seriously people, I drove by watching the car in the opposite lane to see if it was someone I knew.

I got my permit at 14 and license at 16 pretty much on my birthday. It was my ticket to freedom.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my learners permit when I turned 16 and took drivers ed. I was not a good or confident driver, and I ended up renewing my permit every 6 months until I was 21 and took my actual driving test. I definitely wanted to be comfortable driving before I got my license.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I don't remember when I got my permit, but took Driver's Ed when I was 16. You could get a hardship license at 15 in TX back then for families who really needed their 15 year old working and driving.

Russ didn't get his til he was 18 because he just didn't care enough.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Maybe it was a state requirement... but I had to be 15 1/2 for permit and 16 to get licence. Since I was one of the older kids in my class (born in Oct), I took private lessons instead of going through the school program... so I was one of the first in my class to get my license a few weeks after my 16th birthday. It was a HUGE deal for us... mainly because then I didn't have to ride the bus to school!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

permit at 14 1/2 and license at 16. This was in Calif and I think it's always been the driving age here.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I took Drivers Ed when I was 15 and got my license when I was 16. Back then, you couldn't get your permit until you'd taken Drivers Ed. But, they've changed things since I was a teenager. Now, you can get your permit at 15, and you are supposed to put in a certain number of driving hours (and a certain number of those have to be at night) with a licensed adult before you can get your regular license, which you can do when you turn 16. My niece turned 15 in March, and she's been driving every chance she can get. My sister says she is getting pretty good and it's not scary driving with her anymore.

My dad grew up in Idaho where they could drive at 14. But, he's another one who was driving as soon as he could reach the pedals. It was just a different time.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

and as for my boys...two were 17 1/2, one was 18 and the other was 23. They weren't some of the younger ones for sure!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here you have to be 16 and take a test about rules and regulations on the road to get your learner's permit. I got it a couple of months after my 16th birthday. I had driver's ed and 1 year later passed my test on the road and got my license at 17. Dh got his at 18.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Word. This is totally me.

I can't believe my parents let me behind the wheel at 14. I can remember secretly being freaked out by all the responsibility. Seriously people, I drove by watching the car in the opposite lane to see if it was someone I knew.

I got my permit at 14 and license at 16 pretty much on my birthday. It was my ticket to freedom.
yeah...and how about squeezing twelve 15 year old girls into your car..no seatbelts..6 in the front seat! It's amazing we're still alive.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got mine a couple of weeks after turning 16. I would have been okay with waiting, but my mom really wanted me to have it to help with running errands and driving my sisters around.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I'm 26 and don't have mine! I don't think I ever want to drive, too many crazy people on the roads and the cost of it puts me off!
This is me 1000%. but i have been studying the manual just have to get over the fears.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was 32! I did start taking lessons when I was 19, but I never actually went through with it and then a couple of years later I was in a car accident (sitting next to the driver) and that gave me a big scare. I didn't want to learn it anymore for years. But in the end I was so tired of taking the bus or asking people to drive me that I finally took the leap. Getting my driver's license was one of the happiest days of my life because I never thought I'd still do it!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm turning 29 this year, and I still don't have mine. I've been saying every years since I was 18 that I was going to get it "this spring, this summer, this fall...", but never have. I hate driving.

Huge fan of:

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was 15 when I got my permit and went through driver's ed. On my 16th birthday, my mom checked me out of school. We got my licence, did glamour shots and had lunch at my favorite place. Best birthday ever. LOL
Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I turn 30 this week...and don't have my license. LOL
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I guess it depends on where you live..I guess in a big city you don't need it as much..but living in a rural area there's no way I could go without a license. It would take me half a day to walk to the nearest grocery store lol

Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I'm so surprised how many of you don't have a license. I don't know how I would survive!! We are always on the go and with hubby working so much I would go crazy.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post
I'm so surprised how many of you don't have a license. I don't know how I would survive!! We are always on the go and with hubby working so much I would go crazy.
I live in Portland and they have huge public transportation. It gets me everywhere i need to go.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydensmommy217 View Post
I live in Portland and they have huge public transportation. It gets me everywhere i need to go.
Same here Not that I travel far from home anyway lol. OH keeps thinking about learning to drive but it's £50 for a provisional licence, £20 per lesson, money for the theory test then money for the proper test, then a car, tax, insurance, sadly it's impossible for him so he uses a bike to work and back!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

i got mine when i was 21. i didn't have any interest in it at all and the cost of it didn't exactly help (about $6000). but i've always said i at least wanted to have my license before i had any children (LOL!) and 11 months later i had my son
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I was 15 1/2 when I got my permit, but was 17 when I finally got my license. My DD had to take a paid driving coarse (the schools don't teach it anymore) but that was 2 years ago and she is just now showing interest to drive. She just turned 19 and a few days ago went to DMV and renewed her permit so she can get some driving time in and get her license. I told her I am pretty much done taking her anywhere!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went for my learners permit at 16 (legal age where I lived), but I didn't get my actual drivers license until I was 27 and newly pregnant with Quinten, who is now 7.

My son didn't get his learners until he was 17, even though the age where we now live is 14 to be able to get it. His father kept saying he would take him, but he never did. I am pretty sure I will let Jenna get her permit next year when she turns 14, although she won't get her license until she is at least 16. They have a graduated licensing program here - meaning Cody won't have his actual license until he is 19 now, because he didn't get his learners sooner.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit 90 days before I turned 16, as the law allowed. I got my license two weeks after my birthday, and the only reason I waited that long is because we had been out of the country On vacation
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit at 15 (probably right after being 15--and doing drivers ed)

I got my license right when I turned 16. If not on my bday, then very very close. Honestly, it was helpful for my parents. I did want it, but when you have a lot of kids and a million different schools and schedule (and early morning seminary/bible study), it helps parents a LOT. I can't imagine my children driving at 16, but I know I will be ready and want them to for the same reasons... we will have a big family and I'll need the help!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Getting your driver's license was HUGE in the suburb where I grew up because there was no public transportation and nothing close enough to walk to. You had to be 16 to get behind the wheel (no official permit required) and 16 and 1 month to get your license. I started learning and took drivers' ed as soon as I turned 16, but I didn't get many road hours because of everyone's busy schedules. I was finally ready at 16 1/2. My parents were pretty cautious about me driving and we didn't have an extra car for me, though, so it was a long time before I got to do more than run to the store for them alone.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

Where I live you can get driving license at 18. I was 19 when i got it

Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I moved to Idaho when I was 13 from California. Most of my peers took drivers ed as soon as they turned 14, so some were driving alone on their permits in 8th grade and most of the others in 9th grade. Since we had just come from California where teens didn't drive until 16, my parents made me wait until the summer after I turned 16 to take drivers ed and I got my license right after that. I was definitely one of the oldest in that class. The drivers ed program I taught on stick shift and automatic cars. My first driving experience ever was in the school parking lot in a stick shift - needless to say we never got out of the parking lot that day. My parents wanted me to get my license so I could drive my 2 younger siblings to our school that was 30 minutes from our house. There is still no public transportation where we live, so everyone drives. Can't even imagine someone not having a license... Both my teenagers took drivers ed at 14-1/2 and got their licenses a month before their 16th b-day. They drove for almost a year and half with us on their permits and are good drivers.

Stephanie
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got mine on my 16th birthday. I never bothered with a permit, but took driver's ed a couple of months before. I'll never forget my 16th - not only did I get my driver's license that day, but had to attend TWO wedding showers for my sister who was getting married in a few weeks. Then, that night I came home to a surprise party for me. I guess my parents felt like they needed to make up for the fact that my sister was the star on my 16th.

My oldest son got his a few days after his 16th birthday, and the 2nd one was about a week after. They got permits around age 15 6 months and you had to wait until 6 months later to get the license.

My twins are old for their grade so they will be driving when they are Sophomores in high school. Ack!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

18. At that time you weren't allowed to get it any earlier in Germany. I wasn't that keen on it first, but it was clear I needed it. So I just went along.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

In Holland you can't start untill 18, 17 now...I was 18 when I got my licence.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit at 15 but didn't get my license until I was 17 (in Fl you can get it at 16). My parents would NEVER let me drive. I had like 4 driving hours total and I couldn't take the test until I had 100 hours logged. At 17 I could walk in and take it myself - so I did. I passed on the first go around which surprised my parents since they swore I couldn't drive to save my life. My boyfriend (now husband) actually taught me to drive in his truck.

When my sister got her license she didn't have to show proof of her driving hours so she was able to get her license at 16. Of course 3 hours after she got her license she flipped her car.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I took driver's ed the spring semester of my sophomore year. I was 15. I turned 16 in July and got my regular license that day.

Kansas now requires driver's ed for anyone under 21. My son did his through the high school the summer he turned 15, got his regular license when he turned 16. Since then, the law has changed. My older daughter just took private driver's ed (group classroom portion, six hours one on one with a driving instructor) and she won't get her license until she's 17. She could have gotten a restricted at 16 if she'd taken driver's ed when she was 14 or 15, but she didn't have a huge interest. I wasn't paying attention to the changes in the law and didn't realize she needed to hold an instructional permit for a year before getting a restricted (with my son it was just until he did his 50 hours driving with an adult) so now she can't even drive to school until she's 17 in March. She is not happy about riding the bus. However, her brother rode it until he was a junior, so 2 years, and she'll only have to do about six months. She'll survive.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I took driver's ed through my high school when I was 15 1/2. I got an A in the classwork and a B in the driving. I didn't drive much from then until my birthday; not a lot of time and my dad said I was not allowed to have my own car or drive his.

You were allowed to get your license a month after your 16th birthday. I remember that that date fell on a Friday, and I was HORRIFIED that my mom made me wait until the following Monday to get it. Since I took it through my school and got better than a C in both areas, I was exempt from taking the driving portion of the test. I missed a couple on the written, so I got my license that afternoon.

I still didn't drive much during the school year since my mom and I were sharing a car. My mom would drop me off on her way to work and then picked me up after school since I usually had a bunch of activities after it got out for the day. Bless her heart, she let me take her car 4-5 nights a week when I worked during the summer. Not sure how she managed to not go stircrazy with being stuck in the house with my sister and my dad at work with his car.

I don't know anyone that I grew up with who didn't get their license at 16. There was no public transportation in our city and nothing close enough that you could walk to where most of the kids I went to school with lived.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was driving at 15. I'm not sure what the rules are now, but when I was that age, you could get your learner's permit at 15, and I think you kept it for like a month before you could take the driving test for your license. The only restriction was that you couldn't drive by yourself at night until you were 16. And yes...that totally blows my mind to think about now!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I took driver's ed at 16, I think. Didn't get my license until a few months before I turned 18...at that point I hated driving. That and I had no vehicle to practice in...both my parents had standard transmission, which to this day I still can't manage.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was 16. I didn't even bother taking the test to get my permit until right after my 16th birthday. Then, after the shortest amount of time possible, I took my driving test and got my license. I was the last of my friends to get one. I was terrified of driving, so I put it off as long as possible, but living out in the middle of nowhere, my parents really needed me to be able to drive.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
I took driver's ed at 16, I think. Didn't get my license until a few months before I turned 18...at that point I hated driving. That and I had no vehicle to practice in...both my parents had standard transmission, which to this day I still can't manage.
My first car was a standard I haven't driven one in years but I think it's probably be like riding a bike...something you just don't forget.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You have to be 17 here. But I had no interest in driving - everything I needed was within walking distance . I think I was 25 when I got my license. It's kinda scary to think of 14 or 15 yr olds behind the wheel (at least, the 14 and 15 yr olds that I know, lol!)
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I live in a farming state, too, so permit at 14 and license at 15 (though I could have had the license at 14). I got an awesome little 88 Chevy Spectrum then.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I was 16 when I got my permit and 17 when I got my license. That was the age back then for Newfoundland, but it's now 15/16.

I also learned on, and drove a standard for years. I wish I still had one!