Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-28-2016, 05:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Who has an AAM album?

I notice in the bingo challenge threads that All About Me pages are a love/hate thing. Either you like doing them or you don't. It got me wondering as to how many of us scrap our own stories? Or do you just scrap the kids/family?

Several years ago I realised that should I pass away, there would be no one else who could tell my kids about me like I could. No one else knows what my life was like between the time I left home and the time I married my husband. I had a good 10 years in the military by then, and only I know those stories. So I started doing All About Me pages. I searched the web for AAM journalling prompts, and started answering them. It felt weird at first, because I was so used to scrapping someone else, but now, looking back, they are my most interesting pages, and my kids LOVE reading through them.

A lot of those pages are mostly journalling, because I don't have photos, but that's OK. It's a memory recorded. I haven't done so many AAM pages lately, but will try to do more this year.

There is likely to be an AAM prompt every month for BINGO, so by the end of the year you'll have a mini album of you for your posterity. If you don't already have an AAM album in the works, maybe this is a good opportunity to start one? If you already have one in the works, how is it going? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 2016 Project Life album is strictly from an AAM point of view. Frankly, I'm tired of scrapbooking my kids, lol! Seriously, I've been scrapping them for 13 years now... I'm kinda done, except for the bigger events or funny things. No more pictures of their face with a pretty poem or sentiment next to it. If the page doesn't have a purpose, I don't scrap it. KWIM?

At this point I'm imagining what I'd like to know about my grandma when she were my age, and record those kinds of thing. What did she DO all day? And what did she think about her kids and marriage and friends? Maybe someday I'll have a grandchild that will really appreciate this stuff.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I started one a few years back when we did prompts here... but it's not finished and I don't have anything from my childhood or young adult.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't, but I've had the idea of doing a book about my life pre kids, including my childhood, in the back of my mind for a while. I worked lots, studied lots, travelled the world and lived overseas all before marriage and kids (all those photos are pre digital camera though unfortunately and not the best quality when scanned)... and then throw in some more current stuff too.

I just don't think my kids would care that much to look at this when they're older - they're boys and not the sentimental types... But I'd like to do it so I can look back on it when I'm older!!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Every years I say "ok I'm going to do this book, this book and this book" and NEVER get around to doing them. I considered just writing in a regular journal but who knows. I need and want to do an actual AAM album though. Start at the beginning and go from there.

I love hearing about my gmas life and my great gmas life but those stories aren't actually documented anywhere so I really should write mine down and whatever else I can about the other members in my family so my daughter has those stories.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don´t have an AAM album, but always try to fit pages about me on my albums. Like when I start running, my zumba clases, things happening at my job, my birthday and even some letters about my feelings and fears.

Challenge prompts are always helpful, since I don´t like to make LOs that I´m not going to use, so I slip my AAM pages on the albums...

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have thought about it - doing an actual AAM album, but have not in the least bit started an actual album. I do try to include myself of course in the album, we have a family album and I try to be sure to include things about the day to day things I do from time to time, thoughts, etc. and pictures of me (even though I really don't love being in them it's important to me that I am in them because I'm part of this story).

I love the idea of having a book for my kids or grandkids to read one day though of my thoughts/feelings and just general info/perspective. There's so much I would love to know about my grandparents day to day life, their thoughts at the time of things happening (not that it isn't valuable now but at 35 what did they think about those things because I'm sure it's different than what it is now). I haven't thought about searching for prompts and just starting there though...maybe this will be the year I at least start it since I'm not behind (yet) on the family album
Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a separate album but I make AAM pages on the regular and enjoy doing so. All of my pages go in one big chronological book so that's where my AAM pages go, too.

Like you, Jacinda, I think to myself, 'Who else is going to tell my story?'
Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did one about 2 years after DH died. I realized that Cheyanne would never know him (she was 2-1/2) and I wanted to make sure she and her brother knew things about me, so I did well over 100 pages (paper scrapped in an 8.5x11 album since I didn't digi scrap back them). It covers my life from a baby right up until and after DH died and has a lot of emotionally draining pages in it. I still do the occasional BOM (I call it Book of Me) page when I'm in the mood or feel there's something I should documented, and I have those printed in 8x8 singles and put them in a Ding binder, but the bulk of my deep and inner feelings, thoughts, etc. are in the paper album.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do. It has probably 25 pages in it. It's an on going project that I don't think will ever be finished.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I have done & printed an AAM album a few years ago. I should probably aim to make another one.
I love your point of view that no one could tell our own story better than ourselves. I shall remember that. Thank you, Jacinda!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do an occasional page about me but love the idea of my whole life. I have a "scrapbook" my Mom made me when I turned 21 and I'd love to scan the photos and add more info.
I'd love to see some of the prompts for this type of book!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a great All About Me Pinterest board. It even has the prompts from the Sweet Shoppe's 2010 Challenges that included all about me options. https://www.pinterest.com/ssdpins/sw...-all-about-me/
Old 02-28-2016, 10:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I'd love to see some of the prompts for this type of book!
Here are some of the sites I have bookmarked:

http://daringtolivefully.com/journal-prompts

http://kellicrowe.typepad.com/kellic...u-want-to.html

This is a good one that starts right from the beginning: http://ldsthisismechallenge.blogspot...-in-depth.html
Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a bunch of pages for an album but I never sat down and thought to put an order to it or see what needs to be filled in. It is mostly pages in response to a challenge. I love the ideas that I have been reading here though so I think I might put some more effort into it.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I scrap my own story (most of mine are without photos too), although I've mostly been playing catch-up with the kids' pages lately. My parents died at a young age so I'm really, really passionate about it - I wish I knew a lot more about my Dad, especially. When I was cleaning out my Pop's house on the weekend I came across a photo of Dad from when he was 20 and it made me so sad that I didn't know more about what was going on in the photo or his life at the time, other than the really general basics. I'd hate for my kids to ever feel the same way.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do! For the last couple of years, I've been making layouts for a yearly AAM bound album (neither one is printed yet, though it's on my to-do list for this year). I do a monthly favorites page, plus WHATEVER ELSE I WANT. It's been really fun to just document my thoughts/feelings, as well as feeling like I can scrap a pictures of the kids that I love without having to journal and make it meaningful, lol.

But I've always made reflective pages, pages for my birthdays, anniversaries, thoughts on parenting, etc, as well as stories from before I had kids or even fun things I do now that don't involve my kids.

I believe I have a story to tell and that it is worth telling.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for the links Jacinda - they're fantastic! I'm definitely going to use some of these!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't do AAM pages (except for a quarterly faves page), but I am journaler... I have over a dozen journals dating back to 1999. So if my kids/grandkids ever want to learn about me and my thoughts...they'll have to learn to read cursive.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never made a aam album but it is on my list so slowly i am saving all about me pages and hope 2 one day make a album of it
Old 02-29-2016, 09:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One of my goals for 2016 was to scrap more AAM layouts
Old 02-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started one about my childhood (mainly because childhood was different than it is now). I kind of let it go and haven't finished it. I will have to look at some of the prompts and see if I can tackle more of it this year.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a separate album but I do AAM pages periodically. I just toss them in with the rest of my layouts. I know sometimes they can feel awkward but I think they're a very worthy addition.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a separate album either but since I scrapbooked for like 8 years before having a kid, I kind of feel like all my albums could qualify as AAM. It's funny because even now, I still prefer making AAM pages to kid pages. I've always seen my albums more as my journals and creative outlet and surprisingly that hasn't changed like I thought it might.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have an actual album for it, but I do pick at AAM type challenges and eventually I'll put those pages in a book of their own.... for now I just use it as an excuse to use girly kits (since I'm the only girl in the family lol). When scrapping about me I do prefer scrapping about things that have happened not what I like or don't like currently.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hear you on girly kits! Moms of boys unite Jenn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

First of all, I really love the idea of telling my story. Like you said, Jacinda, only you can tell your story, so it just makes sense that we as memory keepers would make doing that a priority.

Like Val, I've found my weekly Project Life pages give me an opportunity to tell things from my perspective - how I'm feeling about certain things, what I'm loving at the moment, etc. Of course, I still include lots of details about my daughter and boyfriend too, but I hope it will be neat for all of us to look back on these pages in the coming years.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I don't have a separate album either but since I scrapbooked for like 8 years before having a kid, I kind of feel like all my albums could qualify as AAM. It's funny because even now, I still prefer making AAM pages to kid pages. I've always seen my albums more as my journals and creative outlet and surprisingly that hasn't changed like I thought it might.
I totally stole your "monthly faves" idea and incorporated that into my Project Life album for 2015.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It becomes a little easier to scrap AAM pages when the kids are older. While I have 5 or 6 albums for each of my two kids, I do have two full albums that are all about me and my stories. (and that doesn't count the pages I haven't printed yet). My kids always read the stories on the ones about me, so I guess they accomplished what I wanted.

I think I need to start uploading some pages to get printed. I have two more pink albums to put pages in.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucaswvu04 View Post
There's so much I would love to know about my grandparents day to day life, their thoughts at the time of things happening (not that it isn't valuable now but at 35 what did they think about those things because I'm sure it's different than what it is now).
Cheryl, this is EXACTLY how I feel! I have been missing my grandma SO much lately. I wish I could curl up with some kind of documentation of her life right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
We have a great All About Me Pinterest board. It even has the prompts from the Sweet Shoppe's 2010 Challenges that included all about me options. https://www.pinterest.com/ssdpins/sw...-all-about-me/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Here are some of the sites I have bookmarked:

http://daringtolivefully.com/journal-prompts

http://kellicrowe.typepad.com/kellic...u-want-to.html

This is a good one that starts right from the beginning: http://ldsthisismechallenge.blogspot...-in-depth.html
These are AWESOME. Thanks, girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
I don't do AAM pages (except for a quarterly faves page), but I am journaler... I have over a dozen journals dating back to 1999. So if my kids/grandkids ever want to learn about me and my thoughts...they'll have to learn to read cursive.
Me too I have about 15 journals starting from the 4th grade. You know, the little journal with the lock on it. I never thought about it, but those would be awesome to convert to scrapbook pages. Hmm...
Old 03-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have, and I've printed 2 albums. One is 40 pages, and another is 80 pages. Those covered my teenage & early adulthood years. I wish my late grandparents did some sort of scrapbooks of their life so I could get to know them & their lifestyle back then, but they didn't. They've all passed away. My only source of stories about them right now are my uncles, aunts & my own dad.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Who else is working on AAM layouts? I've done a few this year, but not as many as I could have. Will have to make an effort to do some more.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Working outside the home always makes me scrap more about myself. I don't do separate family member albums so they're all together by year. This year in particular all of my layouts have a white background so that's why the first few look similar.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do not scrap about myself, unless the layout is involving the kids. I try to avoid AAM prompts as I do not ever keep those layouts, but rework them to fit a different subject/photo.

If an AAM prompt is going to be a moving forward prompt, I'll probably scrap outside of the box and do it through the eyes of my children and scrap about them for the prompt. The albums/pages that I print are solely for my children, not for me and generally have nothing to do with just my husband or just myself. When the kids leave the home, they will take all their albums. I'm content to looking at my layouts on my computer, rather than taking up space in the house. I'm the one who does not like clutter! So I'll never print albums for myself, just the kiddo's albums, which is probably why I do not care to make AAM layouts. Perhaps when the kiddos are too big and not living at home, I'll scrap AAM until the grandkids come along, then I'll go back to scrapping kid's memories!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've never been a diary/journal keeper. It always seemed too personal to have lying around! I've never thought about making an AAM album, but after reading all of the comments, I think I may consider it.
Val, your comment especially made me think. I would absolutely LOVE to read more about my grandma from her point of view. There is so much about her life that I don't know. She's been gone over 10 years now, and only has one sister still living. I would love to hear her stories!
I need to send my mom some prompts and get some of her story, too!!
Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I encourage everyone to get some of their stories down. Just look at how many people have already said that they wished they had stories from their grandma.

My grandma is in hospice. We had a gathering of my sisters, my mother and myself to sit and visit with grandma. We talked about different stories that grandma had told us over the years. Later my grandmother told my mother that this gathering and reminiscing about her life was the best morning ever.

I'm now realizing that I need to write down grandma's stories because I'm the one who remembers a lot of the details...and now I'm starting to forget. And grandma is no longer able to "fill in" details. I probably know stories about my grandma's life that my sisters didn't know and the great grandchildren definitely don't know.

You can choose which stories to tell and which stories to keep to yourself. You don't have to tell everything. Your family might like to know more about family traditions, a silly story from your childhood, what life was like when you were growing up, etc. If it is difficult to write a story about yourself, maybe start with a story about you and your grandma or a favorite aunt and what it was like to visit, something she taught you, what you remember from her kitchen, what she would wear or how she would let you do something at her house that you didn't do at your own house.

It would be a bit sad to leave our children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews all of these scrapbooks about their lives only to have them wish they knew more about us.

Last edited by scrap2day; 07-07-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I've always wanted to do an AAM album but never quite get there. This summer I've been doing the rukristin 100 days of all about me challenge with my girls. We each have a journal that we write our answers in. So it's a start of sorts.
I know I would love to know more about my grandma's life, so I think it's important for us to share our stories. It's something I struggle with though.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to HATE scrapping about me. The challenges here really helped me! Now I have a photo book with about 91 pages of random layouts just about me. Some have pictures, others are just what I think about this or that, etc. Its really kinda cool. My kids like it and I think it will be fun to look at in the future. I would like a more organized book with a timeline and such with layouts about my childhood, etc. before getting into the random 'what I think' stuff, but for now it is what it is. Shutterfly had free unlimited pages and I had a free book and shipping code so I didn't pay a penny for my book. I had to get it done before the offer expired and didn't have time to play around with it.