Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217
Default Where to start??

I have over 2000 pictures and hundreds of kits, where do you even start I have so much to scrap any tips or ideas i do the challenges.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥

Last edited by haydensmommy217; 07-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

just go through your pictures and decide which ones inspire and then pick a kit sometimes I start with a kit that I LOVE and then go find pictures to scrap....I really like having some kind of "project" going like now I am working on a cruise album for Sam and P365, so in between I just scrap whatever inspires me not sure that helps you at all!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

angie that does help thank you

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

and the biggest thing I have to remember is I don't have to scrap EVERY photo and that helps me alot
Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely start with something that motivates you - whether it be a kit or pics. I used to try to always scrap in order, but that doesn't help the mojo! Do you often use templates? I do, and sometimes I will fill in a few with just pictures and save them that way. That way, once I decide on a kit, I can hit the ground running.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First of all, never, ever count your photos or kits. I think I would run away screaming.

And second, a small project is good or choose an event that makes you happy that you know you have the perfect kit to match.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always pick a kit first, but that's just a matter of my personal preference. I never worry about scrapping all of my photos. I don't take nearly as many photos as most of you (typically only around 250 a month), but I still only manage to scrap a handful a month (which I'm totally okay with).
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have pictures going back from the time my son was born in 2006. But i will def try what you all suggested

Proudly Creating For:

Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
I do, and sometimes I will fill in a few with just pictures and save them that way. That way, once I decide on a kit, I can hit the ground running.
I love this idea!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If you're feeling the pressure to scrap a lot of your photos, you may want to think about doing monthly summary pages. Kind of like P365, but on a monthly theme. (I did this last year and called it my P12. Click on the link in my siggie to see layouts). Find multi-photo templates, and fill them in with various photos from that month. This way the pressure is off to scrap "everything", and you can do other individual pages for special photos/moments whenever the inspiration strikes.

Last edited by jacinda; 07-10-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

you've got some great tips here!

personally i've made an albumplanner i've printed out and note down the photonames, keywords for journaling and kit suggestions if i have any. i've also made room for changes, which there are normally loads of

so of you look through your photos briefly and note down the names of the photos you'd like to scrap (to make it easy to search for later), the theme and maybe some highlights if you remember, you're on a good start!

good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean! lol! My photo/want to scrap photos are getting out of control... I totally agree with Jacinda's monthly type of project. I do (well, a bit behind at the moment) p365 type projects for the last 6 years - first two years was just monthly spreads - and just getting down the important parts is a huge stress reliever. Then I see any other pages I create are just icing on the cake!

Something that I have recently been doing, too, is pulling the photos I know I want to scrap into a separate folder and labeling with date and a theme word... then when I see a kit that triggers one of those theme words - I go into my folder, and if using a template - go into my template folder and pick one with the same number of photos as in my folder.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just pick the pictures I want to scrap at that moment, and scrap them. Dont worry about "how many" pictures you have, because you will NEVER scrap them all, and you DONT HAVE TO! Dont put pressure on yourself, just have FUN!
I did Project 12 for the last couple years too, and it helped to scrap lots of the little things at once, which I liked. I have done double pages per month, or a single page per month. Both work, depending on how many pictures you want to include.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tag the ones I want to scrap in ACDsee. I make categories with the names of the events (per year) and assign all the photos I want to scrap to them. Then, when I get a new kit or template, I can easily go through the different categories and see which set of photos will match. A couple of months ago I also started tagging those photos with the colors they're in so I would be able to find a match with my new kits quicker, but I wasn't able to keep up with it.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ditto with what has been said, I have all my photos in a main yearly folder and within that folder by month. So I may choose a month and get inspired by the photos there. Or I may get a kit and find photos that match.

I don't ever look at the big picture about how many photos I need to scrap since I am so behind and I clam up thinking about how I keep getting more and more behind lol

Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
Ditto with what has been said, I have all my photos in a main yearly folder and within that folder by month. So I may choose a month and get inspired by the photos there. Or I may get a kit and find photos that match.
I TOTALLY do this too so sometimes I just pick a year (1.e. 2006 May) and scrap some memorable photos from that month...I can ususally remember the details (for the most part) by looking at the photos so I just journal what I can remember
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a separate "To Be Scrapped" folder. I keep copies of photos in there and delete them when I'm done. It makes choosing my photos faster, and I don't accidentally scrap the same thing twice. Not to mention that if I had to go back through ALL my photos every time I wanted to scrap, I'd never get anything done. The photos in my to-scrap folder are organized by the page I want to use them on or by date and event, which ever makes sense for those photos. So I might have a folder of DD's schoolelated photos from the entire year, another folder with pictures from July 4th, and another that covers miscellaneous photos from May. If I've made some notes or written the journaling when it was fresh in my mind, I store it in there with the photos.

But I definitely think it's a case of finding what works for you. A small change can make a big difference, positive or negative. I used to have a To Be Scrapped folder for each child and another for the family. In January I switched to having yearly folders with everyone's photos mixed in them, and it doesn't work at all for me. It doesn't seem like such a small thing should matter, but it does. (I need to invest the time to change it back one of these days.)

Last edited by rach3975; 07-10-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thinking about this made me realize that I actually don't scrap "photos" but "stories".
After I download the pics from my camera, delete like 2/3 of them and edit the rest, I put them in monthly folder and number them and then I have a notebook where I have a list (by month) of stories "titles" + numbers of photos that represent them. Usually I have 10 - 15 stories each month.
And by a story I don't mean anything big, they're just small everyday things like "L got a new doctor kit for her birthday and is enjoying it very much, she treats her lion and mouse toys and wants to take out everyone's tonsils"
Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I take way more pictures then I ever scrap. Sometimes I just want to scrap a photo and not really do a "memory" type page. Sometimes I scrap photos to scrap an memory or something we have done (like holidays or outings). Then I also have a "baby" album I already started for my daughter and her wedding album I am still working on. So really I just say pick a picture or a kit and start a page and just let your creativity go where it wants.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomi View Post
Thinking about this made me realize that I actually don't scrap "photos" but "stories".
After I download the pics from my camera, delete like 2/3 of them and edit the rest, I put them in monthly folder and number them and then I have a notebook where I have a list (by month) of stories "titles" + numbers of photos that represent them. Usually I have 10 - 15 stories each month.
And by a story I don't mean anything big, they're just small everyday things like "L got a new doctor kit for her birthday and is enjoying it very much, she treats her lion and mouse toys and wants to take out everyone's tonsils"
I keep telling myself that I should write memories in a notebook so when I scrap I can remember. I just keep forgetting or I don't have time.

gosh, the older you get the less time you have.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I wish I could be so organized to have the stories written down. Lately I have been using Oh Life or the notepad on the computer to write down a story/moment I want to remeber. Otherwise, I just snap away and save the photos by Month/Year and just grab whichever one I feel like scrapping with.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love your approach. If I had kids I'd be going about it the same way. I actually do the same for my vacation books. I love life's little stories, and they pass out of memory so fast. When I find some stories that I wrote down, I'm often surprised how much I have forgotten even though the story is only dated 5 years ago or so.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The 'To Be Scrapped' folder like Rachel's is really my saving grace. Once every few months, I will pull out all the 'must scrap' photos and move them into the appropriate year folder within the 'To Be Scrapped' folder. Then I know exactly what needs to be done, and once I'm able to delete the copy of the photo from there, I feel accomplished and relieved.

You might be surprised that a lot of your photos are not so much 'must scrap' as 'would be nice to scrap' or 'just a really cute set of photos,' kwim?! At least that's how it's been for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yep. This is what I've been doing too. This year, I even started doing "Katie the Scrapbook Lady's" monthly round-up's to capture all the stories. Description Here: http://scrapbooklady.typepad.com/kat...lyoundups.html I've organized the answers to all the questions into one big folder for the year. When I sit to scrap, then, this is where I look first! I like her approach because it has both event type questions in it, plus daily mundane things, that I wouldn't necessarily think noteworthy. I've had fun scrapping some topics that are a little different for me!