Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Saving CT Layouts OK?

I have a question...

I just went through and unzipped my purchases from this weekend...and I was thinking I may go through a quick "task" of searching each one and saving the layouts the inspired me the most...not so much to copy or even scrap lift...but because sometimes, the layouts are good inspiration and reminder of what it was that stood out about the kit for you...a lot of times it's the kit itself...but equally so...a lot of times the layouts can sell the product for me...like when I look at a kit and go...

"Nice kit...I can't see how it's practical for me though..."

For instance...I used to not buy "girly" kits at all...for silly reasons...the girly "theme" presented can sometimes keep the theme "in a box" for me...but then viewing layouts...I remember many things...like for instance...

I'm a girl...I have sisters, I have a mother...(and aunts), you can make boy layouts still with "girly" colors, and OFTEN, there are many universal colors once you remove the the "pink" out of the kits (mindfully speaking...), there are many options that actually open the kit up a whole lot...(gotta LOVE that about digi scrap!! Well there's lots to love about it but...you know...lol.)

So, I considered going through and saving some of the CT layouts to keep in those folders to give me reminders/ideas of various other "angles" the kit can offer...but I thought about it...and thought maybe some aren't "ok" with layouts being saved? Idk. I mean...I know sometimes I already do save layouts to an "inspiration" folder...to give my creativity a boost into "spin off" mode...(I bet getting myself together and getting involved with site challenges would do a lot for me, but, it's one of those...always mean to...always forget to...lol...I LOVE many of the challenge prompts...they're really creative and make you put on your 'solution' cap...)

So...how socially acceptable is saving CT layouts that are displayed with a kit in the site previews? Or from CT galleries in general even...

Or could admin consider doing a weekly downloadable folder with approved layouts? I know I personally would be willing to pay for something of the sort...all of that weeks "Inspiration layouts" for a buck or two...to save time grabbing individually...and that way the ones in the folder would be definitively approved? Idk. Am I the only one that would be interested enough in that as a service? Whether free or paid? (I say paid because it would be someone doing the work to compile the layouts and/or organize them in a usable fashion...(I didn't even consider this idea until mid asking my question...lol.)

Last edited by brighteyes86; 03-06-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: reworded a train of thought for clarity
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The whole reason CT layouts are previewed in the designers kits, is to promote that kit, so by all means save them if you like them. It's no different from adding something to your favourites folder when you're browsing through the galleries. If it inspires you to use the kit, or scrap a page, take whatever source of inspiration you can get. If your layout ends up looking fairly similar, you would just credit "inspired by so-and-so's layout" when you upload it to the gallery.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Jacinda! I always feel really honored when someone saves my layout to their favorite's folder... be it a regular layout or one that I did for CT assignment.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like a great idea to me!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I think what I really love is when the layout is named or has the designer's username on it...that way I can search it in the gallery...I haven't been active lately in community and even when I have been, I haven't dedicated enough time to be well known...but...anyways...sometimes when a layout catches me, I take extra time to search it in the gallery...so that I can let them know instead of it being so secretive...it's like thinking of someone as pretty and never telling them...I suppose it REALLY doesn't matter maybe because the important thing IS supposed to be making it for ourselves in some sense...but...I know myself it always is nice to hear it from others...not in a "necessary" way but it always does feel good knowing we inspired someone or moved them enough that they had to tell us.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I suppose I should clarify that to say...that...simply saving it to our computer admiringly feels secretive...like...that person isn't getting to know how much they inspired you or helped you open your mind a little to options you may not have seen had it not been for them...

ETA: Which may be why I feel it's inappropriate...that unsettling feeling...of wishing this person knew...does that make sense? Like...saving it to my computer does help me...but it always leaves this empty feeling of wanting to give that little something back in return for the inspiration they gave me...

Last edited by brighteyes86; 03-06-2011 at 11:13 PM.