Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Saving CT Layouts OK?

I have a question...

I just went through and unzipped my purchases from this weekend...and I was thinking I may go through a quick "task" of searching each one and saving the layouts the inspired me the most...not so much to copy or even scrap lift...but because sometimes, the layouts are good inspiration and reminder of what it was that stood out about the kit for you...a lot of times it's the kit itself...but equally so...a lot of times the layouts can sell the product for me...like when I look at a kit and go...

"Nice kit...I can't see how it's practical for me though..."

For instance...I used to not buy "girly" kits at all...for silly reasons...the girly "theme" presented can sometimes keep the theme "in a box" for me...but then viewing layouts...I remember many things...like for instance...

I'm a girl...I have sisters, I have a mother...(and aunts), you can make boy layouts still with "girly" colors, and OFTEN, there are many universal colors once you remove the the "pink" out of the kits (mindfully speaking...), there are many options that actually open the kit up a whole lot...(gotta LOVE that about digi scrap!! Well there's lots to love about it but...you know...lol.)

So, I considered going through and saving some of the CT layouts to keep in those folders to give me reminders/ideas of various other "angles" the kit can offer...but I thought about it...and thought maybe some aren't "ok" with layouts being saved? Idk. I mean...I know sometimes I already do save layouts to an "inspiration" folder...to give my creativity a boost into "spin off" mode...(I bet getting myself together and getting involved with site challenges would do a lot for me, but, it's one of those...always mean to...always forget to...lol...I LOVE many of the challenge prompts...they're really creative and make you put on your 'solution' cap...)

So...how socially acceptable is saving CT layouts that are displayed with a kit in the site previews? Or from CT galleries in general even...

Or could admin consider doing a weekly downloadable folder with approved layouts? I know I personally would be willing to pay for something of the sort...all of that weeks "Inspiration layouts" for a buck or two...to save time grabbing individually...and that way the ones in the folder would be definitively approved? Idk. Am I the only one that would be interested enough in that as a service? Whether free or paid? (I say paid because it would be someone doing the work to compile the layouts and/or organize them in a usable fashion...(I didn't even consider this idea until mid asking my question...lol.)

Last edited by brighteyes86; 03-06-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: reworded a train of thought for clarity
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The whole reason CT layouts are previewed in the designers kits, is to promote that kit, so by all means save them if you like them. It's no different from adding something to your favourites folder when you're browsing through the galleries. If it inspires you to use the kit, or scrap a page, take whatever source of inspiration you can get. If your layout ends up looking fairly similar, you would just credit "inspired by so-and-so's layout" when you upload it to the gallery.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Jacinda! I always feel really honored when someone saves my layout to their favorite's folder... be it a regular layout or one that I did for CT assignment.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like a great idea to me!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I think what I really love is when the layout is named or has the designer's username on it...that way I can search it in the gallery...I haven't been active lately in community and even when I have been, I haven't dedicated enough time to be well known...but...anyways...sometimes when a layout catches me, I take extra time to search it in the gallery...so that I can let them know instead of it being so secretive...it's like thinking of someone as pretty and never telling them...I suppose it REALLY doesn't matter maybe because the important thing IS supposed to be making it for ourselves in some sense...but...I know myself it always is nice to hear it from others...not in a "necessary" way but it always does feel good knowing we inspired someone or moved them enough that they had to tell us.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I suppose I should clarify that to say...that...simply saving it to our computer admiringly feels secretive...like...that person isn't getting to know how much they inspired you or helped you open your mind a little to options you may not have seen had it not been for them...

ETA: Which may be why I feel it's inappropriate...that unsettling feeling...of wishing this person knew...does that make sense? Like...saving it to my computer does help me...but it always leaves this empty feeling of wanting to give that little something back in return for the inspiration they gave me...

Last edited by brighteyes86; 03-06-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know you can put it in your "My Favorites" here in the gallery, right? And, that's not as secretive, as it sends a message to the person who created the page when someone "faves" it.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

and after you have 10 posts here in the forums you can leave comments on the layouts you like in the gallery, that way you can let them know how much their layout inspired you.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Haha yea. I used to be registered here under mommyofphoenix (probably still am...) and maybe it's 'commitment' issues...lol...but...I got tired of it as a name...not as a job...lol...but...it just felt too plain and like it didn't fully describe me. Brighteyes though...is a much more fitting name for me. And plus...I get so mixed up into all of the other "mommyof's" lol. (That's not an insult to it as a sn...) It does make me ALWAYS notice mommyof's though lol. It's like when you're at a store and someone calls out your first name...you kinda look up startled...like "Who me?" Lol. And in my case...my name is Ashley...this happens often...not as much anymore though thankfully. Idk whether it's still said often...I just got used to it...or blow it off unless someone gets more direct and says it again a little louder. Changing it just felt appropriate. Lol. Not that my old account had too high of a post count anyway that I recall...I used to post when Lizzy was around as a scrapper...think that was around like...late 2008 or early 09...somewhere around there...yea...it's been that long...I didn't stop coming to SSD...just didn't have much posting time...and didn't know how to "dive back in"...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

lmao. I just stalked and befriended myself. I was like...what were the last things I posted/responded to. My post count only made it to 210. But yea, I was reading old threads having 'memory lane'...does it sound weird to almost say I miss that me? lol. I mean...I'm still pretty much almost the same rofl. But...I guess you'd say...EGOTISTICAL...lmbo. I was like yea...I'd totally be friends with me in the past...lol.

ETA: Need to get that off my mind. There's a little bit of creepy twilight zone-ness to it all...like hmmm...it IS almost like seeing a whole different external person...one that doesn't "technically" exist...except that...I actually still do. Rofl. It's like an "Inception" moment...lol. Having the old me still "exist" here on the board...sure not posting...but...I can still see those posts...slightly disturbing. Lol. I read one of the post...and because I don't really remember the day I'm wondering to myself..."Hmmm...I wonder if I ended up having those pork chops I mentioned that day...? Suddenly pork chops dipped in barbecue sound appealing...even though in recent memory I look strangely at people for dipping their food in sauce instead of just seasoning it well... Very strange. Very. Remind me to stay committed to this screenname... o_O I don't need a bunch of "me"'s running all about this board. For my sake OR anyone else's. Lol.

Last edited by brighteyes86; 03-07-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresta View Post
You know you can put it in your "My Favorites" here in the gallery, right? And, that's not as secretive, as it sends a message to the person who created the page when someone "faves" it.
This is true, but then sometimes people take their LOs down for publication purposes, or whatever and then they are gone from your Fav's too. I've run into that before. But saving to Favorites here also doesn't take any harddrive space either, so that is always nice.

Oh and for the record...I've done exactly this. I love the Friday Peeks thread for this too. I often will not use a kit for months (years) and won't remember what it was that inspired me otherwise.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I haven't ready any of the responses here but I'll give my opinion and it's probably different then everyone else but here goes anyway....

Yes I'm working for my designer and yes I scrap my page for her/him to use to promote their designs *BUT* I still own the rights to that page and the photo on it. In exchange for her/him giving me the kit I've agreed to let them (and only them) use that page for a specific (yet limited) purpose.

I am very guarded about my children and often leave off specific details and always their names in my journaling to keep them as safe as possible and honestly the thought of someone right clicking and downloading my page to their personal hard drive creeps me out. Especially when there are "functions" set up within most galleries to "mark" pages. And even if those functions aren't set up (or you can't access them because of *say* post count) there are other ways to mark them instead of downloading them....like creating a bookmark.

I would say that common sense and common courtesy would dictate not downloading other people's property (because really that page belongs to me and not anyone else, just because it's posted in public does not mean it's public domain ) to your own hard drive, no matter how innocent your intentions are.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
I would say that common sense and common courtesy would dictate not downloading other people's property (because really that page belongs to me and not anyone else, just because it's posted in public does not mean it's public domain ) to your own hard drive, no matter how innocent your intentions are.
By uploading it to the gallery, however, ppl can download it. If they favorite it, there is an option right there on the favorites screen to download a zip file of all the layouts you have marked as favorites. Just so you know.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

This is exactly the reason I brought it up. It occurred to me that some may feel this to be inappropriate. Especially when so many contain the delicate subject of our child or loved ones. That's why I suggested a set selling approved layouts that way there's a bit more peace of mind overall.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Why isn't adding it to your favorites in the gallery "enough"? I'm just curious.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
By uploading it to the gallery, however, ppl can download it. If they favorite it, there is an option right there on the favorites screen to download a zip file of all the layouts you have marked as favorites. Just so you know.
That doesn't make it legal, right or moral. There is no where on this site or on the upload page that states I'm giving up copyright to *MY* page or that I have to let people download it.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by mummytothree; 03-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
That doesn't make it legal, right or moral. There is no where on this site or on the upload page that states I'm giving up copyright to *MY* page or that I have to let people download it.
It doesn't bother me personally, and I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just letting you know that if it's added to their favorites, they can download your page. That's all.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Why isn't adding it to your favorites in the gallery "enough"? I'm just curious.
I sometimes wish I had pages saved when I don't have internet or in the car and no internet access... one I was going to scraplift or whatever... thats' part of the reason I love the PDF portfolio.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Elizabeth, it creeps me out. (to keep my response simple..lol)
Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
I did not know this! Hmmm.

And, though I know anyone can right click and save (and that anything you put on the internet is there for the world to see), I don't understand why adding it to your favorites isn't enough. I am not entirely ok with people saving my layouts to their hard drive without asking first.

I might have to think on this more.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
This isn't something that I personally do but I think the big advantage would be the ability to sort the layouts however you wanted rather than being restricted by the gallery sorting. You could tag them based on number of photos, theme, etc and you'd have offline access to them like some others mentioned. Or like the OP mentioned, you could save them directly to the kit folder so you can find them all easily when you went to use the kit.

Personally I don't have any real issue with it but I can understand why it would make some people uncomfortable. Maybe an alternative option would be to use some kind of visual bookmarking site instead so that you can group/tag inspiration how you want while still leaving control of the original layout in the hands of the scrapper who created that page.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I often save a layout I am going to scraplift so I can make a bare bones "template" for me to use. Usually it is for a challenge so I know who to credit. This folder gets deleted regularly so I am not keeping the layouts forever ... just for the time I need to use them. I often like to work offline (while traveling and on vacation) so having it saved on my desktop is convenient.

Nobody is saying that the layouts downloaded from the gallery are NOT yours, and you do still have the copyright. That 600x600 layout isn't going to print off that well and usually I can't even read journaling on gallery layouts.

Uploading ANYTHING to the internet (a gallery, facebook, flickr, photobucket, ect) allows for them to be seen and used by a wide variety of people. It is a risk we take by making the decision to upload to the gallery.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've saved some layouts for some challenges to my hard drive when I have a scrapbook retreat and I know that I won't have Internet access. Once I'm finished with the challenge, I delete the layout.

IMO, if you are part of a challenge where we have to scraplift your pages or we have to be inspired by them (like the featured scrapper on the blog, for example), you should be aware that some might save so of your layouts for challenge purposes.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
This isn't something that I personally do but I think the big advantage would be the ability to sort the layouts however you wanted rather than being restricted by the gallery sorting. You could tag them based on number of photos, theme, etc and you'd have offline access to them like some others mentioned. Or like the OP mentioned, you could save them directly to the kit folder so you can find them all easily when you went to use the kit.

Personally I don't have any real issue with it but I can understand why it would make some people uncomfortable. Maybe an alternative option would be to use some kind of visual bookmarking site instead so that you can group/tag inspiration how you want while still leaving control of the original layout in the hands of the scrapper who created that page.
**I feel inclined to say, lol, that I genuinely do try to cut my typing down...and also, that believe it or not...it's true...you think this is a lot...I actually went through and deleted as much as I felt I could without taking away from giving my perspectives on the matter at hand...I'm a rambling work in progress. Please do forgive me. Lol. Allow my to add "Rambler's Anonymous" to my list of "12 Step programs I feel I would be member to if they existed." lol. **

I completely agree Lynette! I wonder how practical this approach would be or how doable...it would be great to kind of not do so much a "public" commentation gallery...where users can list side notes for themselves, and/or tag appropriately for later recollection of what stood out about it...kind of like...favoriting it, but with some ability to privately note it and tag the "favorites" section you make by kits you've bought etc. Kind of a blend between "Kaboodle" and favoriting...

I must say though, that that actually IS a reason, same as others have mentioned for wanting it on my hard drive. Mainly the reasons listed...having it within my kit folder as well as having access to it when I don't have a connection.

Further considering it however, I must admit also, the tagging approach (sincerely need to get ACDSee for that amongst so many other reasons...) would also benefit me, because, aside from just being a reminder about what struck me with that kit, it'd be nice to be able to "tag" layouts as "inspiration" rather than keep an inspiration folder and also tag layouts I HAVE saved thematically..."Christmas", "Big Photo" "Many photo approach" "particular element usage/technique" (that I love and may had not considered prior...) (Speaking of which do any of you ACDSee'ers know if we can save mini notes on a singular basis rather than creating a whole category? I ask, because I haven't used ACDSee since I trialed it back in 08 and loved it...and was planning even then to buy it for all that it already offers but that idea, in reference to notating layouts, or even a particular element...perhaps noting it to a technique to remember to try later.)

As far as a solution to the problem, I really think even aside from the saving thing, that a big help for many would be to possibly link to the layout gallery itself so that we CAN favorite it. Honestly speaking, a big reason I DO save it, is my way of 'favoriting it", as I'd mentioned, sometimes a layout in there does actually inspire me to the point that I take out time attempting to find it in the gallery so that I can save it to my favorites. Saving it to my computer is simply to avoid the whole process that that actually does take, much more trouble so, that it's far easier to just feel nonchalant about "Oh, well, I'll just save it here in my inspiration since I don't want to do that big search out..."

I do always think to myself though how much I'd love it to be able to more quickly find it in the gallery. I'd suggest them not putting it with the kit to avoid all of the confusion, but that sadly, or at least I strongly believe, would drop sales for kits, and not because the kits are EVER bad...as I've mentioned FAR FAR from it...or else duh I wouldn't be here addicted to staring at them, buying them, being inspired by them, and even staring at and adoring and being inspired by the kit's artistic "offspring"... but because, with my current "trying to reason myself out of a kit" approach, not seeing any layouts is a quick and easy excuse to turn a kit down because I'm not seeing the full usability of it.

I think a few other good approaches are:

**Designers not ok with it, can list it, at least in the gallery maybe, that "Nothing personal, but I'm not comfortable with my layouts being saved to your hard drive. Please simply add it to your favorites." And I do get your viewpoint, that you shouldn't HAVE to do this because you'd likely think that it IS common sense to not save someone else's work, but as has been demonstrated, many don't see it as an issue, from either sides of the plate, having their own saved, nor saving another's. I think it's a matter of...usually...if you're ok and even honored to consider the idea that someone saved your layout for purposes of this sort, it doesn't occur immediately that someone else may not be ok with it. I'm the type that I don't think I'd have a problem with it so MUCH, not thinking of it in depth...though viewing it from that mindset, can make you stop and go..."Hmmm that IS a little weird when I stop and THINK about it from THAT particular angle." But because I already was pretty ok with it as it stood, I'm easily relaxed into being able to feel like there's no harm intended in the action whether it's a little odd or not. (of course as with any situations, there are people who will shrug it off...though with some who'd never considered it as an issue of respect prior, will now take into account that the designer for this layout feels uncomfortable with the action.

**I've seen some stores link to a general search function that automatically searches the gallery...this would be great if they simply had CT members upload their layout with the kit name or something the designer specifies when giving out the kit, (a number even perhaps?)...so that the link will search for that specific number, or a link that will search directly within their CT section with that kit name? This way people can favorite them...

**Some REALLY cool gallery site that would offer all of these options...one great angle that I know many are probably even already accustomed to, would be a "stock photo site" approach. Kind of like sxc.hu...that way...the layout can be kept instead in "lightboxes" and have the aforementioned things...designers ok with having layouts downloaded, can have them downloaded...etc...KIND of like a stock/gallery hybrid site. The layouts from afar can have perhaps the general overlook, clicking it would should a version "not right clickable" bigger image of it and further explanation of the photo shown etc...and then...a way to click on layouts you'd like to have on your hard drive that would ask for permission to a layout in cases you'd like a copy as a reminder on your hard drivee. That way...those who feel a little odd about having their children's photo on someone else's hard drive can have...perhaps a stand in picture in the one given out...? (But flattened image so it'd be very different than being a "giving out a quickpage" I say a "hybrid version" of a stock site because I don't know if stock sites have an easy "comment' spot? But then again they may have a testimonial spot or option to it...? Idk...and I can't say that I know whether they're told/identified when they're 'lightboxed'...

The more I think of it...it's sounds a lot closer to Deviant Art's setup...? I think a Deviant Art "style" gallery would be a great approach...especially because I do love the drag and drop "favoriting" approach. Only LIKE Deviant Art but without it being a full on "community" geared intent...if that makes sense...more of a standalone site gallery type option...very usuable search, categorized browsing, download restrictions, being able to preview the actual layout while downloading a different version if necessary...adding to favorites, commenting individually on layouts...of course all of this in consideration to a much erm...girlier scrap approach and probably a different layout? Idk... Lol. I also can imagine that as idealistic as it sounds, who knows how actually accessible it would be...I can guess that there's some type of development team they use that keeps it running smoothly in the first place. It would be a great overall gallery approach for scrappers though. Whether as a store add on...or a gallery for all layouts...without a forum. Lol. We're not talking a whole other forum set up...just a possible different community gallery set up in general. (Yes, I commonly idealize...)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My posts don't tend to look that long in the reply box. Lol. I'm sorry again guys! Lol.

And also...I really apologize...I never intended this as a debate or argument...or maybe I didn't consider it fully enough or that it would be so controversial.

My only intent honestly was trying to find out if there was a better solution to the set up and trying to take into consideration the outlook of others rather than simply making assumptions...and because I WOULD love an easier way to give those people a heads up so that what I felt to be something intended as compliment/flatterworthy, didn't go as an unsaid one...because I love the overall sharing of commonly enjoyed artwork in general. It's not even about an "ego-pump", but, a knowing that it's give take, the feeling that I would inspire someone possibly the way I get inspired also.

Please accept my apologies guys?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Brighteyes, we're just having a discussion. No one's fighting, and it's not controversial. No apologies necessary.

For some reason, it doesn't bother me to hear of people saving a LO for a few days or weeks while they work through a portfolio challenge, and then deleting it when they are done. But it does bother me to think that someone else's layouts would be saved for forever until someone gets around to scrapping with a kit.

I understand wanting to have the LO's offline in case you don't have internet access. But most people do have internet access more than they don't. If you're going to be traveling, you can go into the gallery, find a LO, save it, and delete in a few days. "Favorite-ing" lets the person know that you loved their LO, and once it's in your faves it's easier to find later on when you need the inspiration.

Maybe it's just the way that I scrap that I don't understand the need for this. I tend to pick the kit I want to work with, and if I need inspiration I just go to the designer gallery and search for the kit in there. I also tend to view layouts more in terms of sketches or templates than a kit being used in a certain way.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

As usual, I agree with Col

I just don't really use CT layouts for inspiration when I scrap. I just open a kit and go for it LOL. So maybe thats why it seems strange to me to save layouts that aren't my own. But as a scrapper, if someone adds one of my layouts to their favorites, it's a real ego stroke!