Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Photoshop - I Think I'm in Trouble

I'm working with CS3 on Windows 7 and just recently it started really lagging, freezing and shutting down on it's own.

Is it CS3 and the OS? Is it possible that I just need to re-install? Or...am I going to have to upgrade? I'm scared.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No idea (sorry!) but I've been using CS3 on a Windows 7 machine for a few months without problems. Maybe you need to clean out your cache or clean off your HD? I hope it ends up being something easy like that or reinstalling.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
No idea (sorry!) but I've been using CS3 on a Windows 7 machine for a few months without problems. Maybe you need to clean out your cache or clean off your HD? I hope it ends up being something easy like that or reinstalling.
I've been using it on Windows 7 for quite a while and it's just started doing this. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed too!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Also look at where your scratch disks are going to. If you can spread that out, it should help. Edit>Preferences>Performance. I have a secondary hard drive, so my first scratch disk goes there, so it stays out of my C drive. If you have your single drive partitioned, put it on the other partition from your C. If you have only the one drive change how much it allows PS to use in memory. Also, if you've got an older machine with a newer OS, you might need to look at increasing your RAM.

Also - if you get a cheap thumb drive 2 gig or more is best (they're pretty cheap), you can stick it in and use Windows Speedboost feature and use it as a scratch disk of sorts. It helps speed your system up.

You don't need to upgrade CS..it's just fussing with your machine and windows.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Also look at where your scratch disks are going to. If you can spread that out, it should help. Edit>Preferences>Performance. I have a secondary hard drive, so my first scratch disk goes there, so it stays out of my C drive. If you have your single drive partitioned, put it on the other partition from your C. If you have only the one drive change how much it allows PS to use in memory. Also, if you've got an older machine with a newer OS, you might need to look at increasing your RAM.

Also - if you get a cheap thumb drive 2 gig or more is best (they're pretty cheap), you can stick it in and use Windows Speedboost feature and use it as a scratch disk of sorts. It helps speed your system up.

You don't need to upgrade CS..it's just fussing with your machine and windows.
I have a C drive, as well as a D drive and an EHD. I never even had my D drive formatted! LOL So I did that and I'll send my scratch disks to there??

My computers only a year old. I've got 8GB RAM and a 64 bit OS/i7 CPU.

Last edited by Leah; 03-12-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Scratch disks...that's what I meant, but for some reason I always call it the cache. I hope one of Darcy's suggestions works. I ended up switching to PS after another program did what CS3 is doing to you and I couldn't resolve it. I'm really hoping you get it fixed, partly because I don't want to think I'm in for it happening again!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Two other things to try if you're still having issues:

1) Reset your Photoshop preference file - that tends to fix a lot of wonky Photoshop issues. Directions can be found here: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Phot...ab64-74a7.html

2) Have you installed any new fonts lately? Photoshop is really picky about fonts. One bad font can make it completely unusable.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

2) Have you installed any new fonts lately? Photoshop is really picky about fonts. One bad font can make it completely unusable.
Really? I had no idea. I just installed a couple of new fonts the other day. But it was wonky before that.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of the weirdest things is that when I go to save a page, I go to "Save As" and then to Libraries - Digital Scrapbook Files (freezes) and then after it's done going all wonky, I can click on Digital Pages 2011.

Why is it freezing when I click on the one folder?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
I have a C drive, as well as a D drive and an EHD. I never even had my D drive formatted! LOL So I did that and I'll send my scratch disks to there??

My computers only a year old. I've got 8GB RAM and a 64 bit OS/i7 CPU.
Ok - here's what *we* do. Our C drive is only for windows files. D is for all of our personal files, added programs, photos, etc. If you use your EHD for things, you can do that, too. Since yours is already set up, you probably don't want to move stuff around (except maybe store your bulk items like photos, scrap stuff so that your C drive has a little wiggle room - copy them over first, don't drag them over, then delete the original so you don't risk losing anything).

Format your D first, (copy things over if you want), and point your scratch drive to D in Photoshop with the Edit>Preferences>File Handling. It should help your computer handle the hog that is Photoshop.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
One of the weirdest things is that when I go to save a page, I go to "Save As" and then to Libraries - Digital Scrapbook Files (freezes) and then after it's done going all wonky, I can click on Digital Pages 2011.

Why is it freezing when I click on the one folder?
I don't use the libraries feature in Windows. I just go ahead and go straight to my file Save as>D>Digital>MyLayouts. (because this is how I have it set up), does that make sense? I just don't use that library feature.

And do remember to shut down photoshop fairly often if you don't normally. The build up that it creates can cause it to glitch when you're trying to save, etc.

And do try the thumb drive option, too...it's a good little boost They're only $5-10.