Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Disney World must sees?

It's been 8 years since we've been to Disney and I know a lot has changed. Any must see things I don't want to miss? Our kids are boys - teens 15-19 so Frozen is not on our list! LOL Can anyone tell me more about the Star Wars things? We are going in September.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well.we go 20 aug till 2 sept.i can tell you then
My boys are 14 and 18.but we are going into frozen ride.have fastpass for it.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I highly recommend booking your Fast Passes online before you go. Especially for Toy Story at Hollywood Studios (or whatever they are calling it now). It's a fun ride and without Fast Passes it's an easy 2 hour wait.

I also recommend Fast Passes for the roller coasters. Dwarf's Mine is new at MK and I can't remember how old the Everest coaster is at Animal Kingdom, but that is a good one! There is also a new light show at Animal Kingdom at night around the Tree of Life. Haven't seen it yet, but heard it was really good.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Definitely look at booking your fastpasses as soon as you are able to. The system changed a year or two ago and you can't stock pile fastpasses like we were able to under the old system. Passes to the biggest attractions need to be booked in advance. My tip is to book the passes during the busiest times and take advantage of shorter lines earlier in the day. (We were not able to book more fastpasses once we used ours in the park as they were all out for the day)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Even though it won't be as crowded when you are there in September as other times, you definitely should book the fast passes- 60 days prior if you are staying on property or 30 days prior if you are staying off property. You have to have your ticket number or your resort reservation in your My Disney Experience app to book your fast passes.

It is usually better to book FP+ after the first 2 1/2 hours during which the park is open. You can book 3 FP+ for one park each day, then after you have used those, you can book another FP+ at any park you want, then immediately after you scan that one, you can book another one, and so on and so forth. We took two 18 years with us in May and booked our FP+ for immediately after lunch since they were late risers. Normally, we book them between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., then try to get another FP+ for after dinner. However, sometimes you don't have a choice of time. Even booking 60 days out, I often don't get the times I want for some of the FP+ choices.

Fast passes are tiered at some of the parks, so you have to be selective about which of the first tier experiences for which you book FP+. At AK, make sure to get FP+s for Killimanjaro Safari, Kali River Rapids, and then you can decide on your third one. We don't usually use one of our first 3 FP+ on Expedition Everest because it has a single rider line. Dinosaur usually has a long wait, so you might want to get a FP+ for that. The safari at dusk is great, and I also liked it after dark, but many people don't. If the new River of Lights show is open when you are there, go see it, but you can miss the Jungle Book show that is happening now if you don't want to wait. The night entertainment in Africa is nicely done.

At Epcot, I would get a FP+ for the new Soaring rather than the Frozen ride if I only had one day at that park. Test Track has single rider, so we usually use that.

At DHS, we always get FP+ for Toy Story and ride Rock n Roller Coaster using single rider. They opened up a third track for Toy Story, so the wait is still long, but not as long.

At Magic Kingdom, the Seven Dwarfs Mine is a must for a FP+ because the lines get ridiculously long. It is a short ride, but it has great theming. For my son and his friend, it was a one and done.

Since you were last there, the hub in front of the castle and the new portion of Fantasyland have opened. The Under the Seas ride is nicely themed, and Minnie and Daisy are dressed as fortune tellers if you are into characters. If possible, you should try and eat the Be Our Guest, but most reservations will be taken by now. However, if you keep checking back, something will open up. I also think Pirates has been updated to add Jack Sparrow. Also, stop at the fire station to get playing cards for Sorcerers of the Kingdom card game at Magic Kingdom. We had fun doing that while we were walking around.

Last edited by disneyaddict; 07-11-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I forgot Star Wars. Since you have been there, they have changed Star Tours so that each time you ride it, you will see at least one or two scenes that are different. We ride it a few times, so we can catch the different scenes. The Star Wars Launch bay has Chewbacca and Kylo Ren, who sign and take photos with you. That area also has some cool paraphernalia from the movies, etc. I would think you could spend about 15-20 minutes checking it out before getting in line for autographs.

There is a fun Jedi training camp for younger children.

If you are into characters, KennythePirate has some good touring plans. For basic touring plans and best park days, easywdw.com is a wonderful resource.

Last edited by disneyaddict; 07-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All things Star Wars are at Disney Hollywood Studios, but half the park is under construction right now... not sure if worth the money.

For teenagers I totally recommend you Universal Orlando. Spiderman, Transformers, the Mummy... all very exciting rides (even the Minions is great). Plus you have the World of Harry Potter with amazing rides and rollercoasters.

I have a tween boy, and he is all about Universal.

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 07-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When we go end aug, begin sept btm and dinosaur are closed.
so check out wich attractions are closed before you try to make fp's.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Test Track at Epcot would be really cool for your boys. Heck, my girls loved designing their own cars!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much!!! Most of the suggested things are on our agenda already and we have fast passes. We do not have toy story on our list, so I'll add that. I love that you can book fast passes and make reservations online and on their app! We are going during the free meal plan promotion so we could not get into Be Our Guest our whole stay!! My boys love Universal too but our adopted son has never been to Disney and we are staying on Disney property so it seems wrong to go to Universal! LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Keep trying for Be Our Guest. We can usually get the last seating even a couple of weeks before our trip. If you don't have table service as part of your meal plan, just order a couple of appetizers. It is totally worth it for the atmosphere.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely suggest hanging out at Animal Kingdom for a day with boys that age. The safari, kali river rapids, and Everest roller coaster are a BLAST. It's a really nice park. One of our favorites.

Magic Kingdom is fun, too. We like to hang out in the 'older' sections of the park where the wait times are shorter. We ride splash mountain, thunder mountain and old faves like the pirates and haunted mansion. The Dwarf Mine train is SO great, but the wait times are insane and the fast passes are nearly impossible to get. If you don't have fast passes make sure to have the disney app on your phone so you can monitor the wait times. Once the parades start, sometimes you can get in line for a 60-70 minute wait. We got in line when the wait time said 60 minutes, but the wait was actually only 30 minutes.

At Hollywood Studios, our faves are Toy Story Mania (although last time we went to Disney it was always a 2 hour wait so we never got to ride it) and the tower of terror. <3 My son who is 10 loves the star wars ride.

As for Epcot, you should definitely do Test Track! We love it. Soarin' has just been updated, and that's a fave of ours too. We can't wait to see what they changed.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree to keep trying for that Be Our Guest reservation! You never know what might open up prior to your trip. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you're at the parks prior to rope drop. You can get so much more done that way. And if you get tired, you can go back to your hotel, swim, and take a nap, then head back to the parks in the evenings when it's cooler. I know you weren't really asking for general Disney advice, but rope dropping the parks always made a tremendous difference in how much we were able to do/see in the parks.

I recommend www.wdwprepschool.com. Tons of great advice, sample touring plans, etc. Have so much fun! I'm jealous.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Keep trying for be our guest, people cancel.
it's worth it. And only after diner you can meet the beast himself
Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried Be Our Guest for lunch? It is counter service then, but at least you still get to see the ambience, and the sandwiches are good!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We might have to go for counter service! I wasn't quite sure how reservations worked since I read it's counter service but that makes sense. We will have to try that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk