Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Clumsy much?

I've always been clumsy. As a kid, I fractured my arms several times, even broke my left elbow and right wrist at the same time...that was a sight! I could go on & on about my clumsy moves. I tripped over a parking block and broke my elbow. I slipped on stairs at my friend's house, sprained my ankle & that led to blood clots
So, my latest clumsy move was last night. I was eating popcorn and dropped a piece. I reached to pick it up, but had to stretch a little to reach it. I was leaning over the arm of my office chair with one leg up on the chair and all of a sudden had extreme pain in my side. Like, pain where I couldn't speak for a minute. ... I think I've cracked a rib! LOL! Fun stuff. No yoga for me for a while.
Are you willing to share your clumsy moves? Or, are you graceful as a gazelle and never do stupid things like me?? Please share
Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I trip going up stairs and choke on air all the time.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom View Post
I trip going up stairs and choke on air all the time.
Haha! Yep...me, too!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

haha you ladies are funny.
I'm not very clumsy but I bruise very easily. My body often has huge bruise and I don't even remember what happened.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
haha you ladies are funny.
I'm not very clumsy but I bruise very easily. My body often has huge bruise and I don't even remember what happened.
I bruise easily, too, Lea! That's not a good thing when I can't even walk straight and bump into corners
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m not necessarily clumsy... I just sometimes misjudge where objects are in comparison to me, lol! Though my knee caps don’t align so sometimes my knees will give out when I take a step and I fall, or my ankle will suddenly not be able to support my weight and I twist it.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I’m not necessarily clumsy... I just sometimes misjudge where objects are in comparison to me, lol! Though my knee caps don’t align so sometimes my knees will give out when I take a step and I fall, or my ankle will suddenly not be able to support my weight and I twist it.
LOL! Yes, I firmly believe that things actually jump out at me... it's not my fault
Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wait, wait, wait. I'm confused about what caused your rib pain. Was it just bending over or did you actually have an impact? Have you seen a doctor? What your describing doesn't sound like clumsiness. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I would definitely get checked out. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Wait, wait, wait. I'm confused about what caused your rib pain. Was it just bending over or did you actually have an impact? Have you seen a doctor? What your describing doesn't sound like clumsiness. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I would definitely get checked out. I hope you feel better soon!
It wasn't really impact, but I kind of pulled myself down onto the arm of the chair...basically with all my weight.

I didn't go to the doctor because if it is cracked, there isn't really anything that can be done. But your alarm is making me a bit nervous. My mom has very severe osteoporosis that started when she was a bit younger than I am. Maybe I will go see the doctor... I need to get a dexa scan anyway, so this may give me the leverage to get that approved.
Thank you for your concern, Sheri! Better safe than sorry!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a dexa scan a few weeks back, nothing to it at all. So do get that scheduled if you are due for one.

As for clumsiness, my family jokes that my middle name should have been Grace. I have broken one of my pinky toes about 10 times and I have awful balance.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciahall View Post
I had a dexa scan a few weeks back, nothing to it at all. So do get that scheduled if you are due for one.

As for clumsiness, my family jokes that my middle name should have been Grace. I have broken one of my pinky toes about 10 times and I have awful balance.
I've been trying to get doctors to send me for a dexa scan since I hit peri-menopause. My mom has very severe osteoporosis. She has lost at least 8 inches in height from all of her vertebrae collapsing. The danger starts in per-menopause, but no doctor would listen to me. Hopefully this doctor will listen!!

LOL!! I totally understand that! I stopped wearing shoes with heels because my balance is so bad.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I broke my left elbow when I was 6 during a summer holiday, because I stumbled on a chair leg in a salon while walking towards my mom and looking at a pretty bridal magazine. That was not fun!
As far as clumsiness, I am clumsy but not so severe... I do trip sometimes and over-cautious just about anything when I walk. Somehow, I develop this fear of falling off the stairs and I'd go down so slow
Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
It wasn't really impact, but I kind of pulled myself down onto the arm of the chair...basically with all my weight.

I didn't go to the doctor because if it is cracked, there isn't really anything that can be done. But your alarm is making me a bit nervous. My mom has very severe osteoporosis that started when she was a bit younger than I am. Maybe I will go see the doctor... I need to get a dexa scan anyway, so this may give me the leverage to get that approved.
Thank you for your concern, Sheri! Better safe than sorry!
I should have included a disclaimer with my post ... I'm a TOTAL hypochondriac -- I wish I wasn't, but at this age I doubt I'll change Hopefully it's just a severe bruise and not a fractured rib! I've never had one, but I've heard the same thing as you ... there isn't much you can do about it other than let it heal with time. I hope you feel better soon!

On another note, I wouldn't say I'm clumsy, but sometimes I'm careless, so I end up hurting myself more often than I should. Sigh.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I've been trying to get doctors to send me for a dexa scan since I hit peri-menopause. My mom has very severe osteoporosis. She has lost at least 8 inches in height from all of her vertebrae collapsing. The danger starts in per-menopause, but no doctor would listen to me. Hopefully this doctor will listen!!

LOL!! I totally understand that! I stopped wearing shoes with heels because my balance is so bad.
Hopefully this doctor listens and if they don't, I would relentlessly seek out more opinions until you find someone who does. It's annoying that you have to be so aggressive about it, but you're your best advocate. That's crazy your mom has lost 8 inches!

Ok, I'll stop with my annoying posts, lol.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I walk into things all the time but not because I am clumsy, but because I live in my head too much and am not paying attention to what is around me.

As to losing height, I have lost over 2 inches in the last 10 years due to the radiation I had for my cancer. It seems every time I go to the doctor, they are taking another 1/4 inch from me. At this rate, before it is all said and done, I will be a polka dot, as high as I am wide.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I consider myself a klutz, but thankfully my specialty is bruises rather than broken bones. I bump into things and I drop things. Thank goodness for military grade cell phones and cell phone cases, since my poor phone gets dropped down the stairs a few times a year. (A 'regular' fall--from my hands to the ground--happens every week or two.) For all my dropping and bumping, I rarely fall. I have no idea why that is!

Last edited by rach3975; 05-10-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I broke my left elbow when I was 6 during a summer holiday, because I stumbled on a chair leg in a salon while walking towards my mom and looking at a pretty bridal magazine. That was not fun!
As far as clumsiness, I am clumsy but not so severe... I do trip sometimes and over-cautious just about anything when I walk. Somehow, I develop this fear of falling off the stairs and I'd go down so slow
Oh Sherly, that's so young! And during the summer... yikes!
I tend to be super careful on stairs, too!

Quote:
I should have included a disclaimer with my post ... I'm a TOTAL hypochondriac -- I wish I wasn't, but at this age I doubt I'll change Hopefully it's just a severe bruise and not a fractured rib! I've never had one, but I've heard the same thing as you ... there isn't much you can do about it other than let it heal with time. I hope you feel better soon!

On another note, I wouldn't say I'm clumsy, but sometimes I'm careless, so I end up hurting myself more often than I should. Sigh.
Quote:
Hopefully this doctor listens and if they don't, I would relentlessly seek out more opinions until you find someone who does. It's annoying that you have to be so aggressive about it, but you're your best advocate. That's crazy your mom has lost 8 inches!

Ok, I'll stop with my annoying posts, lol.
LOL! Sheri, that's so funny! It's okay...you kind of spurred me to do something I should have done today. I'm hoping for just bruising, too. Hopefully I can get a same-day appointment.
My husband says I just need to slow down, so maybe my clumsiness could be avoided?
Haha! You're not annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I walk into things all the time but not because I am clumsy, but because I live in my head too much and am not paying attention to what is around me.

As to losing height, I have lost over 2 inches in the last 10 years due to the radiation I had for my cancer. It seems every time I go to the doctor, they are taking another 1/4 inch from me. At this rate, before it is all said and done, I will be a polka dot, as high as I am wide.
I totally do that, too

That would be quite scary. I was holding my breath the last time I was measured. Thankfully I haven't lost any height.
I'm sorry to laugh, Lorie, but you really made me giggle about being a polka dot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I consider myself a klutz, but thankfully my specialty is bruises rather than broken bones. I bump into things and I drop things. Thank goodness for military grade cell phones and cell phone cases, since my poor phone gets dropped down the stairs a few times a year. (A 'regular' fall--from my hands to the ground--happens every week or two.) For all my dropping and bumping, I rarely fall. I have no idea why that is!
Let's not even start about phones, Rachel!
Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh No Tammy! Prayers for a quick and safe recovery!!!

I'm not quite clumsy, but I have a couple girls who are! My 2nd oldest broke her arm tripping over a garden hose! My oldest seems to trip, slip or fall quite a bit, but has never broken any bones (she did have to have liquid stitches right before our 1st Disney trip, because she was "twirling" and ran into a wall).

At least by this point your doctor is used to it, so I'm sure he/she isn't quite surprised when you show up!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Oh No Tammy! Prayers for a quick and safe recovery!!!

I'm not quite clumsy, but I have a couple girls who are! My 2nd oldest broke her arm tripping over a garden hose! My oldest seems to trip, slip or fall quite a bit, but has never broken any bones (she did have to have liquid stitches right before our 1st Disney trip, because she was "twirling" and ran into a wall).

At least by this point your doctor is used to it, so I'm sure he/she isn't quite surprised when you show up!
Thanks, Dawn!
I know what you mean... my poor parents were in the doctor's office with me so much, I'm sure they thought there was something amiss!

I went to the doctor on Friday. She took xays, but said she didn't see any fractures. She sent the film to a radiologist to read, and said they would call me back today.

She said that even bruised ribs can be very painful. (Tell me about it!!)

So I'll know more today!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went for the DEXA scan yesterday. Today my doctor's office called. They still don't have my xray results from the xrays they took last week (they called the wrong hospital). But, they already have the DEXA scan results & my bones show low-density.
My mom has VERY severe osteoporosis, so, needless to say, I'm quite nervous. And a bit ticked...I've been trying to get a doctor to push for the scan for at least 10 years. I'm so glad this doctor finally took it seriously!
I'm hoping that it's still mild enough that treatments will help and I won't get to the point my mom is.
Prayers and good thoughts would be very much appreciated at this point!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Prayers for you Tammy! Maybe this "clumsiness" was what you needed to catch the osteoporosis early, before it gets too bad!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Prayers for you Tammy! Maybe this "clumsiness" was what you needed to catch the osteoporosis early, before it gets too bad!
Thank you so much, Dawn!!
That's a good point. I'm going to look at it that way. I'm just so freaked out after watching my mom for the last 20 years. Monday can't come soon enough!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness, are you alright now?! I can't imagine breaking a rib by leaning over like that!

I'm far from graceful! I wish I were, then I wouldn't be living in pain every day, but that's not how I was born. I was born a clutz!

Let's see:
I slipped on ice, broke my leg in 11 places

I slipped down my parent's steps and broke my back

My washer overflooded and I slipped on the water and got a lot of bad bruises.

One time, going in to Chick-fil-a, I slipped on a puddle of water just inside the door and flew across the floor with terrible bruising on my hip, ribs and shoulder. Scared them, scared me. People were shocked at the fall.

There's a lot more stories, but that should help you feel not so alone on the clumsiness field. I think I should get a crown for all my falls, scrapes, broken bones and bruises!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I went for the DEXA scan yesterday. Today my doctor's office called. They still don't have my xray results from the xrays they took last week (they called the wrong hospital). But, they already have the DEXA scan results & my bones show low-density.
My mom has VERY severe osteoporosis, so, needless to say, I'm quite nervous. And a bit ticked...I've been trying to get a doctor to push for the scan for at least 10 years. I'm so glad this doctor finally took it seriously!
I'm hoping that it's still mild enough that treatments will help and I won't get to the point my mom is.
Prayers and good thoughts would be very much appreciated at this point!
Yuck My bones don't absorb the iron/calcium to have healthy bones and as a result I've been pre-osterporosis since 2009. It's awful. Hopefully your doctor will be able to do a lot more than mine does. Mine just pass it off and tell me to take vitamins and then get upset with me with my blood has low numbers. My aunt has to take a ton of supplements that help her body absorb the iron and calcium and even then what would be astronomical to a normal person, it's still low for her. But my doctor's won't do anything. So here's praying your doctors take care of you and help you with this so you don't break any more bones or have problems down the road.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my, Wendy!! I'm thanking my lucky stars right now that my accidents have not been as severe as yours.

How frustrating that your doctor isn't doing more to help you!! It's ridiculous that they haven't helped you!!

From what I gather from my mom, the osteoporosis meds can't be taken for more than 5 years at a time (she had been on them for over 10 years before that little tidbit was released). Not know what's going on has been very nerve wracking for me. I'm very much looking forward to my appointment tomorrow afternoon!