Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-21-2020, 11:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Tired of Cooking?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of cooking every single night for the family. No breaks. No take-out food. No restaurants. Too much pasta filling in the week. I don't like not easily being able to go out and grab my usual groceries. I bet you don't either!!!

Maybe we can share some food ideas and recipes in this thread to help us continue through these tough times.

One food related idea I did this past week was a zoom chat with a bunch of my girl cousins, my aunt, and my sister and together we all baked a family recipe of Munn cookies. We are spread out all over from Laguna Beach to Oregon to New York State to Toronto so zoom was such a great way to get together. My cousin supplied us with my Nana's recipe (she passed several years back at 102) and taught us the tricks of easily making yummy cookies that also happen to freeze great! They never landed in the freezer here as my daughter has been greatly enjoying the results.

Find the recipe for Munn Cookies - a simple lemon/poppyseed flavor - and a few photos here on my blog: http://clevermonkeygraphics.blogspot...ly-recipe.html

Now set up a how-to cooking session with YOUR family on Zoom or another video chatting service.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with you! So tired of trying to get everything I need in one trip to the grocery store... I am spending $300 a trip rather than my usual $150. We are eating one meal per week either curbside or delivery. My son was already asking what we will get this week and we've been ordering on friday nights. lol

Here's a recipe I really like! https://dinnerthendessert.com/korean-beef-sloppy-joes/
Old 04-22-2020, 12:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was tired of cooking well BEFORE the lockdown!
Old 04-22-2020, 12:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sooo tired of it! Plus with everyone home for lunch I'm now making a lot more meals than before. We're doing 2 weeks of grocery shopping at a time, so planning and making sure we have enough (and then adapting over and over when certain things are out of stock) is an adjustment, too. And because of a combination of what's available and feeling like I "should" have more time, I'm making more time consuming meals. We're getting curbside or delivery on Saturday nights, so at least there's that break.

I've never met a recipe I didn't alter in some way, so it's hard to link you up to anything! Here's a yeast-free pizza crust I made a couple weeks ago. It's made from things we always have around the house (flour, salt, baking powder, milk, and butter) and only takes a few minutes.

Another trick I've learned since lockdown and spacing out grocery trips is how to roast frozen veggies so they taste like fresh. So yummy! Basically, heat the oven to 450F with the baking pan inside so it preheats, too. Toss frozen veggies with olive oil. Season if desired. Place the veggies on the hot baking tray and roast until done. The directions I used aren't online, but here's a similar one.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Here in the netherlands it's very normal to cook
Your own meal for the family every day.
So it's not difference then before corona.
We still can get take out fries.
And more and more restaurants offering take out.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Another trick I've learned since lockdown and spacing out grocery trips is how to roast frozen veggies so they taste like fresh. So yummy! Basically, heat the oven to 450F with the baking pan inside so it preheats, too. Toss frozen veggies with olive oil. Season if desired. Place the veggies on the hot baking tray and roast until done. The directions I used aren't online, but here's a similar one.
THAT IS A WONDERFUL TIP! Frozen veggies gross me out; I've tried boiling {gag} and pan frying, but I've never tried roasting them. Joel bought two big bags during his initial stocking up, and I'm going to try this before I give up and give the second bag away.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We usually eat at home anyway, so it hasn't been too different, but having everyone here for lunch everyday has been weird. I usually plan so we can have leftovers for lunch, but they don't last long these days, lol! And I miss going out for little treats, which I must have done more than I realized! I am just tired of having to come up with the plan all the time--didn't we JUST EAT? And now we have to EAT AGAIN? Lol, at least food is fun. I actually enjoy cooking and baking, but not figuring it out, so if someone would just tell me what to make, that would be great.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep telling everyone that I haven't cooked so much in my entire married life - almost 17 years now. LOL! I typically go straight to the gym after work so my family has pretty much already fended for themselves. Now I come home and they expect to be fed. WTH? This wasn't in my vows.

I've tried a few new recipes just to have something different. My faves are:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/shepards-pie-lightened-up/
https://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-chicken-parmesan/

I think I've nailed my Spanish rice. My grandma would be so proud.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do a lot of easy dinners. Like quesadillas with grilled meats, boxes of yellow rice, or canned beans.

I also always make a lot so I don't have to cook every night. I love leftover nights. Not because I like eating leftovers... but because I can enjoy more outdoors time with the kids without stressing over what's for dinner.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not so much tired of cooking, because I really do love it, its a "happy place" for me, BUT the part that's exhausting is planning and using only what's here.
The first couple of weeks it wasn't so bad...but now that I'm home all day everyday, I'm over it. That part takes the fun out of it for me. I was so over it yesterday when the frozen food delivery guy was across the street around lunch time, I sent the kids over to get a catalog and we placed our first order (we got frozen pizzas and chicken patties, of course some Ice Cream).

So, what I have done to try to mix it up is to have my kids go through the cookbook collection and find something they want to try; then they can help make it. My girls can do a lot of it themselves, my son needs a little more help. We call it "home ec" day.

These are some of the things have tried a few new recipes:

Pioneer Woman's Hawaiian Burgers
Homemade Pizzas using this crust
Cajun shrimp & Rice (I used a bit less on the cayenne)
White Chicken Enchiladas

Smoked Wild turkey breast, instead of the BBQ it called for, I seasoned it with a Beer Can Chicken mix that I found at the store (the recipe came out of MeatEater Wild Game Cookbook) - my oldest step son (11) went hunting with Dad on Friday and shot his first turkey and I had never made a wild turkey before.

Tonight I'm making:
Food Court Bourbon Chicken
Veggie Lo Mein
Pork Pot stickers

Still on our list:
Flavored Tortillas
Bagels
Tamales
Pasta
Old 04-22-2020, 11:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We usually eat at home and have take outs maybe twice a month and special occasions. I always cook breakfast, and lunch for my daughter and husband to bring with them in school/office. But I always get Saturdays and Sundays off, which means it’s my husband who cooks and takes care of the dishes. And yes, we have a weekly planned meal. But even on weekdays he helps me with the dishes. But it sure feels weird that they’re here for lunch. It sure feels weird that I eat lunch on time, and it mostly feel weird that I also eat breakfast.

Last edited by cherrygutz; 04-22-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
THAT IS A WONDERFUL TIP! Frozen veggies gross me out; I've tried boiling {gag} and pan frying, but I've never tried roasting them. Joel bought two big bags during his initial stocking up, and I'm going to try this before I give up and give the second bag away.
That's funny, if we can't get fresh, we always use frozen veggies! We never use canned veggies because they are soggy

I was cooking every night before the virus, but now with the virus and the kids are home (vs not being at appointments) that they have started helping with the meals. Just last night, the oldest made fried rice and the middle made orange chicken! I just supervised! The night before the youngest made tacos. It's his specialty and he's pretty good!

So while we've been cramped at home in our tiny house, they are actually doing more of the cooking and meal planning than before the virus which is really giving me time off from planning meals!! I mean don't get me wrong. I still make a good portion of the meals, but there are days that the kids heavily help out or make the meals.

The above mentioned also means I have twice the dishes at the end of the night. It seems like our dishwasher is always running. I think we run it at least two times a day :O
Old 04-22-2020, 11:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post

Tonight I'm making:
Food Court Bourbon Chicken
Veggie Lo Mein
Pork Pot stickers
We LOVE that Bourbon Chicken!!! I have a recipe very similar to the one that you posted and it's yummy!! Mine calls for red pepper flakes, which I scale back significantly. I noticed yours doesn't, so I think the next time I make this, I'll try your recipe instead of mine!!

Do you have a recipe for veggie LoMein?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't minded terribly, because I'm not rushing home from work to cook. Since I'm already home.

This recipe Jimmy Kimmel shared and it was fab!
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ea...knead-focaccia

I made these the other night and they were a HUGE Hit, although everyone in my family looked at me like I was nuts when I said what was for dinner.
https://southernbite.com/ham-cheese-waffles/

We had this on Saturday, it was great! https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/japanese-zucchini/

We also enjoy Spam around here usually with fried eggs and white rice. Sliced super thin (I get the lite), anyhow. I made spam fried rice the other day and that was a big hit too. I used this recipe, minus the peas & carrots. I don't dig that in my fried rice.

And the sweets we've tried, Good lord, I've been baking like crazy. I finally had to cut myself down to once a week.

https://www.thekitchn.com/joanna-gai...-recipe-257520
https://myincrediblerecipes.com/hersheychocolatecake/
https://bitandbauble.com/copycat-pan...-sink-cookies/
https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/reci...utter-cookies/
http://lovewell.blogspot.com/2017/10...l-cookies.html
Old 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
We LOVE that Bourbon Chicken!!! I have a recipe very similar to the one that you posted and it's yummy!! Mine calls for red pepper flakes, which I scale back significantly. I noticed yours doesn't, so I think the next time I make this, I'll try your recipe instead of mine!!

Do you have a recipe for veggie LoMein?
I kind of combine these 2 recipes and wing it with whatever I have on hand for veggies (usually onion, celery, red peppers, carrots, green beans)

Spicy Thai Noodles
Homemade Panda Chow Mein/
Old 04-22-2020, 12:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yup! I'm used to doing a weekday run, eating at my parents' on Thursday nights, a weekend run, & picking up frozen lunches for the week on Tuesday mornings. One run a week is really cramping my style.

I cooked most of our meals before quarantine but adding in having to make lunches for the kids (and one kid doesn't eat anything I make) is annoying.

I've been trying 1-2 new recipes a week. These are our two latest faves:
https://carlsbadcravings.com/sheet-p...eggies-recipe/
https://carlsbadcravings.com/italian...ackets-recipe/

Homemade sloppy joes & "Christmas rice" (deconstructed stuffed peppers) are some go-tos for us. We also make tacos a lot & use Pioneer Woman's taco seasoning recipe; I haven't bought taco seasoning at the store in years. My daughter's favorite meal is Pioneer Woman's Hamburger Soup which requires a lot of veggie chopping but is easy otherwise and very healthy.

SLOPPY JOES
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. frozen corn
1 tsp. each chili powder, cumin, oregano
3/4 c. ketchup
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
buns or corn chips

Combine meat + all dry ingredients. Brown & drain. Stir in ketchup & Worcestershire. Heat through & serve.

CHRISTMAS RICE
1 lb. ground beef
rice
1 green pepper, diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1/8 c. (or to taste) brown sugar
salt & pepper

Brown ground beef; drain. Cook rice separately (we usually do 1/2 c. per person but it depends on what you want your rice-to-meat ratio to be). Add green pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, and salt & pepper to ground beef; heat through. Add rice & serve.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

The above mentioned also means I have twice the dishes at the end of the night. It seems like our dishwasher is always running. I think we run it at least two times a day :O
^^^^ THIS! The dishwasher is getting more workouts than I am, that's for sure!

Before everything shut down, it was just my middle son and I, and he has celiac... so despite my efforts at gluten free cooking, he rarely eats it. Cereal can be good for dinner, right? I will admit that I wasn't cooking too much.

Now that my oldest and youngest are home, I'm cooking ALL.THE.TIME. I had recently found some great freezer meals for the crockpot. Here is the site:

https://happymoneysaver.com/easy-freezer-meals/
Highly recommend the Pesto Tortellini Bake (I added chicken) and the Ravioli Lasagne

Tried this last night... delicious!
https://www.mommysfabulousfinds.com/...n-bacon-ranch/

Also made a delicious beef and barley soup (more like a stew though) in the instant pot. Couldn't find the recipe online, so I typed it up in a google doc. Here's the link. Delicious!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Old 04-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post
I kind of combine these 2 recipes and wing it with whatever I have on hand for veggies (usually onion, celery, red peppers, carrots, green beans)

Spicy Thai Noodles
Homemade Panda Chow Mein/
Thanks!! We'll have to give this a try!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Korean Sloppy Joes - I'm in love with the idea. But I'll try them with ground turkey since my daughter can't eat beef or red/heavy meats without getting a bad stomachace.

Making my own pizza crust just might be something I'm willing to give a try!

Roasting frozen veggies! Who'd have thought? MUST TRY.

Ally, it's looking like you are going to get lots of recipe ideas to try on this thread!

My local grocer sells fresh chicken parmesan so that would be an easy quick recipe for me to do Carrie and I haven't done a Shepherd's Pie in a few years now!

Oh Lea. You have it together more than I do. LOL. Then again, my kid is a 20 year old college student who came home from university a month ago and literally has not stepped out the door since. After her spring break, she has only been found with her head figuratively in her books.

Manda, can I come for dinner? That sounds like a lot of yummy meals you are making.

Vanessa - I'm a sucker for cream cheese frostings so that chocolate cake looked mighty tempting. And that japanese zucchini recipe looks very intriguing.

I love the Basically website with it's step-by-step videos. So well done.

Spicy Thai noodles sound good. I think I'm missing Asian food most of all.

LeeAndra that sheet pan pesto chicken sounds brilliant!

So many yummy recipes I'm seeing in our thread so far!!!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

As much as I should be designing, I started instead to explore recipe sites from you guys. Here is a recipe that is literally making me drool and I plan to try this week:

https://dinnerthendessert.com/halal-...cken-and-rice/
Old 04-22-2020, 01:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Okay, printing all those recipes now
Old 04-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Another must try from the Basically website

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/earl-grey-yogurt-cake
Old 04-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I was tired of cooking well BEFORE the lockdown!
LOL!!!!!

Old 04-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
As much as I should be designing, I started instead to explore recipe sites from you guys. Here is a recipe that is literally making me drool and I plan to try this week:

https://dinnerthendessert.com/halal-...cken-and-rice/
Oh man.... my friends and I always visit the Halal Guys when we go to NYC! Need to surprise them by making this.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorigaud View Post
Oh man.... my friends and I always visit the Halal Guys when we go to NYC! Need to surprise them by making this.
I know without tasting that this is a recipe I would love. It reminds me of food we used to have at a restaurant called Afghani House in Sunnyvale California. We've lived in Portland 20 years and it is still the restaurant I remember fondly for its food. Sadly they closed a few years ago - yup - I used to check if they still existed every couple of years. LOL
Old 04-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I keep telling everyone that I haven't cooked so much in my entire married life - almost 17 years now. LOL! I typically go straight to the gym after work so my family has pretty much already fended for themselves. Now I come home and they expect to be fed. WTH? This wasn't in my vows.

I've tried a few new recipes just to have something different. My faves are:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/shepards-pie-lightened-up/
https://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-chicken-parmesan/

I think I've nailed my Spanish rice. My grandma would be so proud.
Please share the Spanish rice recipe!

Old 04-22-2020, 02:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
Please share the Spanish rice recipe!
Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
2 cups long grain white rice
4 cups water
2 tbsp chicken bouillon seasoning
1 cup tomato sauce (I use 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/2 cup El Pato Hot Tomato Sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat oil in pan.
Add rice to pan. Stir constantly so rice doesn’t burn. You just want to get it to brown.
Once rice is cooked to your preference, add water, chicken bouillon seasoning and tomato sauce. You can taste the liquid to see if it is seasoned enough. If not, add a bit of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15/20 minutes.
Note: if you don’t have chicken bouillon seasoning you can use chicken broth instead of water (or a mixture of the two).

El Pato - https://www.amazon.com/Pato-Mexican-.../dp/B0000U1OGE
(I get this sauce at our grocery store in the Mexican/Hispanic food section)

Everyone makes their Spanish rice differently. This is similar to how my mom and grandma have always made it.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG, I have like 20 tabs open at the same time!!!!!

Old 04-22-2020, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
4 cups water
1 cup tomato sauce (I use 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/2 cup El Pato Hot Tomato Sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat oil in pan.
Add rice to pan. Stir constantly so rice doesn’t burn. You just want to get it to brown.
Once rice is cooked to your preference, add water, chicken bouillon seasoning and tomato sauce. You can taste the liquid to see if it is seasoned enough. If not, add a bit of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15/20 minutes.
Note: if you don’t have chicken bouillon seasoning you can use chicken broth instead of water (or a mixture of the two).

Everyone makes their Spanish rice differently. This is similar to how my mom and grandma have always made it.
Carrie, It sounds delicious, I always struggle with tomato sauce in my rice! I need to give this a chance in my rotation!

Old 04-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I don't cook so it's business as usual here. I STILL don't cook! (Evidence Below)

My attempt at toasting a bagel...

My attempt at adding extra butter...

My attempt at baking a take-and-bake pizza...
And Guesting For Studio Basic Designs
Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This hasn't quite changed our cooking/baking way of doing things. Our budget before was 1 large shopping trip a month, with smaller ones in between for items like cereal, milk, and bread. So that hasn't changed.

As far as cooking, I'm very blessed that my husband enjoys cooking too, so we split it between us. If he has an idea for a meal, it's his night to cook. Also, we typically only ate out on weekends, and that hasn't changed either. At least one night is pizza, but then we'll just get something else.

It's actually saved in not having to buy lunch foods for school lunches. Lunches are on our own (since we all get up at different times, so it's eat when you are hungry and find your own stuff).

But YES, the dishwasher is very busy! I'll get it loaded and run a load, only to turn around and have another load piling up on the counter! However, laundry levels seem down! The girls stay in their pj's some days. And they aren't dressing up for school....so less layers and less changes of clothes!
Old 04-22-2020, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
But YES, the dishwasher is very busy! I'll get it loaded and run a load, only to turn around and have another load piling up on the counter!
I bought paper plates and bowls, plastic silverware and cups and aluminum pans to decrease the amount of dishes we are dirtying. My husband and I are still working and we come home at the end of the day to all of the dirty dishes our kids are using while we are gone. It got old real fast so fake dishes it is.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Tia, I am dying laughing here at your attempts.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
I know without tasting that this is a recipe I would love. It reminds me of food we used to have at a restaurant called Afghani House in Sunnyvale California. We've lived in Portland 20 years and it is still the restaurant I remember fondly for its food. Sadly they closed a few years ago - yup - I used to check if they still existed every couple of years. LOL
I didn’t realize you were so close to me! We’re down near Roseburg. Prior to March I drove to Portland every month for a class at the Trucking Assn.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ingredients:

If I don’t make the enchilada sauce El Pato is my favorite brand for that. So good.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaa View Post
I don't cook so it's business as usual here. I STILL don't cook! (Evidence Below)

OMG Tia!!!!!

Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone! I already make a baked chicken parmesan recipe, but the skinnytaste version looks interesting. Might try that next time! The chicken in foil packets look good, too. I think I'll try those after our next grocery trip!

Our dishwasher broke just before we stopped going out, so I've had to wash everything by hand. I couldn't keep up so we're now using some paper plates. Is it sad that the #1 thing I'm looking forward to after quarantine is buying a new dishwasher?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh My goodness there was so much good stuff to read. I can't lie I haven't read it all yet, but I did see a Food Court Bourbon Chicken recp. I saved.
I recently found a Crock Pot Sesame Chicken recp. I will share it for those who want the pot to cook it for you, lol.

CROCK POT SESAME CHICKEN
1 1/2 pound boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dried onion
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tablespoons water
Sesame seeds
Put chicken into crock pot.
Combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, and garlic. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce.
Dissolve 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and return to crock pot - can leave chicken in and simmer on low or serve. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:14 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Dalis, show us your bag of rice!
Old 04-23-2020, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Penguin View Post
Dalis, show us your bag of rice!
I need to snap a picture with that puppy today and scrap it!!!!! It's bigger than what my puppy was!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For those looking for new recipes we enjoy this one for slow cooker mongolian beef.

We just tried this creamy chicken noodle skillet and it was a winner here. We didn't have celery and made it with milk.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I love your honesty!!
I've had a couple of those happen in the past few months.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Penguin View Post
Oh My goodness there was so much good stuff to read. I can't lie I haven't read it all yet, but I did see a Food Court Bourbon Chicken recp. I saved.
I recently found a Crock Pot Sesame Chicken recp. I will share it for those who want the pot to cook it for you, lol.

CROCK POT SESAME CHICKEN
1 1/2 pound boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dried onion
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tablespoons water
Sesame seeds
Put chicken into crock pot.
Combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, and garlic. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce.
Dissolve 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and return to crock pot - can leave chicken in and simmer on low or serve. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice.
This sounds AMAZING!!!
Will have to try this maybe tomorrow since I don't feel like cooking another chicken meal but have chicken to use tonight and tomorrow!
Old 04-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat oil in pan.

Thank you for sharing. I've been looking for a recipe that seems like the one I like when we go out.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've never really enjoyed cooking. Maybe it's more the meal planning? I don't know. I'm not bad at it, I just don't like to do it!
But, we've had delivery several times lately that is just sub-par, so I need to cook more, I guess. Funny thing is, as much as I don't like cooking, I love cookbooks, and pinning recipes!

Rachel, thanks for the tip! Roasting frozen veggies is a great idea. I'm not a huge veggie fan, but I can't wait to try it!

Carrie, thank you for sharing your Spanish rice recipe! I've tried several over the years, but haven't found one that I really like. PS...I LOVE El Pato sauce!!

Manda, thanks for all the recipes! I'm going to try several of these!!

Vanessa, oh my goodness!! I want cake now! LOL!

Tia, ROFL!!!!! Too funny!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have never been fond of planning and cooking....

We are trying to shop and make it last for 2-3 weeks.
We have done pizza once and take out twice....

Our kids current favorite meal in Garlic chicken. Super easy.
Melt a stick of butter and add some garlic powder to it in a bowl.
In another bowl add some Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
Dip chicken tenderloins in the butter, then the cheese n bread crumbs.
Then fry in a little bit of olive oil or bake.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I feel compelled to reply because it was in a thread just like this a couple of years ago that someone mentioned Mel's Kitchen Café and it was life changing - I've tried so many of her recipes since then!! I'm still working full-time so not much has changed around here other than never having any time to myself!!

Here are some of our dinner faves:

Huli Huli Chicken: http://therecipecritic.com/2016/05/g...-huli-chicken/
Crispy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/r...rling-potatoes
Slow Cooked Tri Tips with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy: https://laurenslatest.com/slow-cooke...shed-potatoes/
Moo Goo Gai Pan: https://carlsbadcravings.com/moo-goo-gai-pan/
Hatch Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas: https://lovelylittlekitchen.com/hatc...en-enchiladas/
Creamy Balsamic Skillet Chicken: https://lovelylittlekitchen.com/crea...illet-chicken/
Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/oven...cken-shawarma/
Chicken Panang Curry: https://carlsbadcravings.com/pantry-...-panang-curry/
Classic Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie: https://thefoodcharlatan.com/classic...ot-pie-recipe/
Beef Barley Soup: https://thefoodcharlatan.com/beef-barley-soup-recipe/
Alabama White Barbecue Sauce Chicken: http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2014/06/...illed-chicken/
Slow Cooker Chili: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-c...-pot-giveaway/
The Best Cornbread: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/the-c...-honey-butter/
Skillet Taco Pasta Shells: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/skill...0-minute-meal/
Spaghetti sauce: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/homem...uce-perfected/
Healthy Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce: https://thefoodcharlatan.com/healthy...-sauce-recipe/
Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet: https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everyth...oodle-skillet/
Swedish Meatballs: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/swedish_meatballs/
Bourbon Chicken: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/bourbon-chicken/
Old 04-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate cooking. I don't like the planning, shopping, prep, cooking or cleaning up parts. It all just makes me angry and frustrated. None the less, I cook at home almost every day. Nothing has really changed for us except that I can't just stop at the store on the way home and pick up something to throw together a quick meal. I mean, I *could* stop, but despite it being okay to go to the grocery store, I am trying to limit that. I haven't been inside a store in almost 2 weeks. I've only went on days I need prescriptions filled or needed to pick up OTC meds (Woke up with a horrible UTI one day).
Old 04-23-2020, 11:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So, an update on the frozen vegetable roasting. I've now tried it once with cauliflower and twice with broccoli. The first 2 times it came out great, but tonight's broccoli wasn't nearly as good. I can't remember if it was the same brand as the first time I did broccoli, but there was a lot more water in tonight's bag so it didn't crisp up as much. Still better than steamed, but not as good as fresh roasted. It might have come out better if I'd kept roasting longer, but everything else was ready to serve and I needed to get it on the table.