Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default RQOTD - Stocking Stuffers....what do you put in there?

I posted this same question last year and I really enjoyed seeing everyone's answers.

So tell me - what do you put in your kids' and your husband's stockings? Do you have a tradition?

Do you stuff stockings for anyone else?

This year my in-laws are coming again, including my sister-in-law. So I will be stuffing for three extra people. The coolest thing about last year was how thrilled my MIL was with her stocking. She was so excited to get little things (like nail file, car air freshener, candy, little cosmetic bag, etc) instead of just candy (or nothing since her kids moved out) in her stocking. It was a thrill for me that she enjoyed it so much.

So tell us all about stockings at your house.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have enormous stockings that Sean's grandmother knitted for us, she makes them for everyone in the family.

I've been putting pj's in the kids every year to help fill them up. I usually do a tooth brush & candy, everything else kind of varies from year to year. I have all Keira & Cooper's stuff already. I'll take a picture & post it.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wes and I do stockings. I put in some of his favorite candy, a fun toothbrush (last year it was a lightsabre), small fun books, puzzle books like sudoku, lotto scratchies, something homemade (this year I'm doing the Open when you need to know how much I love you project), some silly toys, small lego kits, t-shirts...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cooper's stocking stash

Keira's

I bought Keira a pink iPod shuffle off Craig's list & lucked out & found Cooper a blue one used too. They were going to be presents, but I just decided to put them in their stockings. Keira has those fun crayons for hers too.

Sean I got him a couple books & a loot crate subscription. I got him mustache socks & a mustache bottle opener too.

Harper has a ball & 2 pairs of pjs so far. I'll probably get him more clothes for his
Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Chap stick/lip gloss, hair bands, santa pez dispensers, gum, some Christmas candy, socks, toothbrush, small toys(last year they got those little 1 inch my little ponies), new fun pens for their ds. Can't think of the rest right now, but I have so much fun filling them!! Oh , and lotion or bubble bath! Sometimes, I get too much stuff and end up wrapping some of it
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We're not super big into stockings... DH gets a Starbucks gift card and a pack of M&M's. The kids get a small box of jelly beans and a couple of little things...this year it's nerf bullets and angry bird washi tape.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love doing the stockings! I kind of love that ours are so big & hold so many goodies
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We just do a couple of smaller things, little extras that can go along with Santa gifts, fun/cute underwear or socks, a favorite candy, the larger softer peppermint sticks, and an orange.

(Like last year in Zach's he got: a mustache pen, a Skylander, 2 cool matchbox cars, an army man, some Star Wars underwear, Twizzlers, 3 peppermint sticks, and an orange.)

To this day my parents still get us all underwear or socks for our stockings too, lol, and we range in age from 17 to 28.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

The stocking exist in our house so that DH & I can get some extra sleep. The boys get up at 6a on a regular day... So we told them they can have whatever is in their stockings to play with until we get up at 7a

They get a couple action figures or some football cards or Pokemon cards or card games or other fairly quiet thing they can play with while we sleep. They also get a tee shirt or pjs and some candy.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa - Your stockings must really be huge to fit all that in there...wow! All looks so fun and festive!

Brie - Our stockings with our names on them are on the small side so I end up wrapping the extras and putting them in to a bag for each person most years. Glad I'm not the only one who overshops for stocking stuffers!

Jenn- I bet Wes love the lightsaber toothbrush! I should get Jason one this year so he stops stealing mine. Where did you find it?

Stacy - that is smart to keep the kids occupied! It always seems I'm the one excited about Christmas morning and I'm up before the kids...even when they were little. (actually more so!)

This year I'm going kind of themey with each stocking
Katie - 15 Beauty and makeup
Soft head bands
nail polish
face mask packets
mascara (this is a tradition)
Eye liner set
Hand sanitizer
A pink dog to peak out the top - she'll be so excited to know I had to buy something else from Pink to get it.

Hannah - 11
Sporty girl theme
New mouth guard and case
racketballs??? I don't know, but they are on her list so I bought them
Google play gift card - to listen to music on the bus on the way to games
Socks
Hair ties
some other sporty stuff - not sure what yet

DH - I usually give him food treats and socks, but this year we are on Adkin's together and he's not getting any food treats at his own request. I'm tempted to buy windsheild wipers for my car and put them in his stocking from Santa. Then since his Dad will be here, he'll feel compelled to put them on my car for me.
Maybe I'll fill the whole thing with socks and underwear - LOL!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I plan to put a little bit of Candy in there (that I can then take and ration later if I need to), a big pack of stickers (we LOVE stickers!), a couple of movies, some new cups (we lose them all the time, and he likes fun, silly cups), and probably some sort of little toys (a slinky, some cars).

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last year I said to the boys that I wasn't doing stockings and I got a "what? that's our favorite thing!!" - who knew? We always do those last, after gift-opening. Oh, and we do St. Nick on Dec. 6 so they get stockings then too.

The older boys (who can drive) get gift cards to fast food places. And we do candy and usually toothbrushes, chapstick, little random toys, just a variety of stuff. The older they get, the harder it is to find stuff that is both small and inexpensive.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I do random stuff just like Vanessa since my kids range from 20 to 6 and it isabsolutely one of their favorite things on Christmas morning....we do those FIRST and then open all our gifts....I will be stuffing 3 extras this year since my cousin, her DH and little boy are coming to visit and I am very excited....it is my favorite thing about Christmas.....

ususally
peppermint Giarahdelli squares
peppermint patties
some type of movie
nerd rope
socks (everybody gets socks it's a tradition)
sometimes pjs/pj pants
pistachios
chocolate covered cherries (DH)
a mini lego set
nail polish
gift cards
always some type of character pez
sometimes a cute little stuffed animal
some type of Disney pin (my kids are Disney pin collectors)
gloves
a scarf
sometimes a hat
crayons
coloring books
small craft things
beef jerky/tall slim jims
boxers for the boys, girly undies for the girls
new yearly personalized ornament

Last edited by nun69; 12-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love doing stockings! I usually end up with too much stuff and it over flows. I do most of what has been mentioned plus $5 gift cards to somewhere we don't go a lot like Orange Leaf, baseball cards for the boys, inexpensive earrings or bracelets for my daughter.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my boys always get similar things. This year, they're each getting 2 skylanders side kicks, a bag of their favorite candy from our local candy store, a chocolate orange for the toe and some small lego kits

for my daughter, she's getting some mini plush my little ponies (she loves MPL!) a little bag of candy from the candy store, a chocolate orange for the toe and some magnetic letters and numbers.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just finished up most of the stocking stuffers today -

Chloe (age 2)
crayons, stickers, socks, leg warmers (she loves to wear them on her arms), toothbrush, and M&Ms

Kendra (age 15)
shaving cream, razors, deodorant, chap stick, toothbrush, 2 pairs of fun socks (she loves socks), and maybe I'll go pick up some hot chocolate mix or something for her (she doesn't like candy). I think I'll also get a new little notebook for her.

Jeff (hubby)
candy (gummies & chocolate), keychain tape measure, funny pen from the dollar section, toothbrush, canned air, manly manicure set (cause he always borrows my girly one).

As you can see, stockings are mostly little fun necessities in our house. Anything of any value gets wrapped and put under the tree. Jeff doesn't care if we do stockings at all, so this is my compromise. He lets me do them, but we just dont' go crazy with them.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Stockings are my favorite part, too. It's interesting at my dad's cause he buys for his kids with no help from his wife, so it's interesting to see what he thinks we need. Often it's something for the car and just little candies, gum (he never remembers I hate strawberries though..lol), etc. My mom tried stopping too a couple of years ago and I told her it's actually my favorite part, I don't expect big stuff, it's just fun.

For Nicholas, 7, I always get a movie, toothbrush, soap set and candy. Then I get a few little things. He said today he'd really like to get some hockey tickets in it this year. So I'll get those plus he mentioned an NDSU soccer ball. I already got a small pistol style Nerf gun. Funny enough, the small random stuff I get for it is usually his favorite presents.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
Jenn- I bet Wes love the lightsaber toothbrush! I should get Jason one this year so he stops stealing mine. Where did you find it?
It's made by GUM so you can get it just about anywhere. I picked up mine at Walgreens, but I've seen them at Target, CVS, even on Amazon. The Publix near me doesn't carry GUM, but some of the larger stores might.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
my boys always get similar things. This year, they're each getting 2 skylanders side kicks, a bag of their favorite candy from our local candy store, a chocolate orange for the toe and some small lego kits

for my daughter, she's getting some mini plush my little ponies (she loves MPL!) a little bag of candy from the candy store, a chocolate orange for the toe and some magnetic letters and numbers.
I was in Walgreens today and saw they have MLP Ty Beanies buy 2 @ 5.99 get 1 free.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Trista

Our stockings always run over too. It depends on where we are for the holidays as to who does the filling. If we are at my mom's, everyone has a hand in filling the stockings. It's fun bc I actually get surprises in my stocking. Here at home I generally buy and fill all of the stockings. In the past there was lots of candy, but this year, we are only giving one chocolate Santa, it's a tradition. Other things include chapstick/lipgloss, gift cards, stickers, pens, lego mini figs, socks, gloves, books, and any other tiny trinket i can find to stick in their stocking.
DH and I usually each have itunes gift cards and restaurant gift cards. Also essentials like razors, lotions, etc...

happily creating for Darcy Baldwin, Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Krystal Hartley, and Studio Basic Designs
Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love doing stockings! I like passing on some of the traditions of my stockings as a kid. This what I will be putting my girls' stockings. They are 6 and almost 5 so they generally get the same things.

box of crayons
coloring book
pack of Hello Kitty *this was supposed to be last year but I couldn't find them. Oops
little Disney figurines (Sofia the first for one, Doc McStuffins for the other)
A Disney plush (I have a Minnie for one, I need to snag one for the other kiddo)
Lifesavers book. I always got these as a kid. This year I think I might snag the cool tins I saw.
M&M in the candy cane holders
Some headbands that I am embellishing with Fabric flowers
Card game
These zipper bracelets I spied at Walmart
Toothbrush
Socks
Underwear
And probably a bit more candy.

I don't put anything too big in the stockings but that is just how we have done it. I am kind of sad because this will be the first year since my MIL passed away and she did stockings for the whole family. She always gave you the necessities for the adults (pajamas, shampoo, deodorant, soap, etc.) I used to think it was weird but I kind of get it now. She died 3 weeks ago and we went to the house and she was already starting to get stuff for the stockings. She had a stack of laundry baskets ready for the stocking loot. It makes me sad.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
Lifesavers book.
this this and this....are always in my kids stocking and my DH's!!!!
sorry to hear about your MIL, but I LOVE her idea of using laundry baskets to put all her stocking stuffer stuff in.....
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

None of mine like Lifesavers, but my mom still gets me and my siblings the Lifesaver books every year. lol She always get me all butterscotch.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL Liz! Mine also always did stockings for everyone and they were so thoughtful and I miss them dearly!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

For the kids, usually something to wear (this year it's a hat & mittens), some candy, art supplies, a book, a little toy or two.

For my sweetheart, I usually stuff in a couple of gift cards to his favorite places to eat (for lunch at work) and a small tool.