Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2015, 03:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Black Friday - 11.27.15

Do you do the whole Black Friday shopping thing? Do you go with anyone? What time of the day do you go out? Do you go out Thanksgiving night instead? Do you have a strategy/plan in place?

Do you do the online Black Friday shopping thing? What kind of deals did you get? Link us up!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We went out about 9 last night. Kohls & Target were the only places we went.

I ordered a $35 kindle fire today from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nesser1981; 11-27-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never gone out and done Black Friday shopping. It intimidates me lol!

So far I haven't done any shopping today but I'm thinking about the $35 kindle fires. Rian's kindle fire isn't charging...or if it finally does, it takes 3 days for a full charge. If I had thought about it, I would've purchased the bigger baby stuff we need. Didn't think about it so I didn't even bother checking those stores. Oops!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I wish I had gone! I want the Wii U Splatoons/Smash Bros. Bundle at Target... they are sold out everywhere now.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am glad we don't have that the way you have that in America. I saw the news today. I saw grown up people falling over each other, stealing boxes from kids. I know that's the most excessive part.....but man. Yesterday everyone was grateful for what they had. Black Friday seems to me to be the complete opposite.

But hey I am a Dutchy, so I can be wrong
Old 11-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine78 View Post
I am glad we don't have that the way you have that in America. I saw the news today. I saw grown up people falling over each other, stealing boxes from kids. I know that's the most excessive part.....but man. Yesterday everyone was grateful for what they had. Black Friday seems to me to be the complete opposite.

This is why I've never gone. If I do happen to shop on Black Friday, it will never be for door busters.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We never go to get anything specific. I like to get clothes, pjs for the kids, but never big ticket items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine78 View Post

I'm with you, it's madness! There was a company here running an ad campaign all week calling it "Thanksgetting." Talk about missing the point!

I haven't looked at any BF ads so far, but I hate being rushed to shop. It stresses me out!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I don't go. I hate people on a normal day, why do that to myself? LOL

I DID go get groceries though and there were about 6 people at Aldi's

Old 11-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I steer clear as I don't like crowds at all!!!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last year DH and I went and braved Wal-Mart on Thursday evening. It was a MAD HOUSE. We were there almost 5 hours and stood in line for at least 3 of those, just waiting to check out. Absolute madness! We went for something that we were saving a lot of money on though so it was worth it for us.

Last night I took my daughter. She wanted to see how crazy it was. Ha! The store was practically empty. I know that in looking at the circulars I didn't see any great deals this year, and others must have agreed. There were store employees standing around playing on their phones because they were so bored. By 8pm all the regular merchandise that had been moved to put out the BF special buys had been moved back in place. They were moving the BF stuff to the store room, just leaving a few of each item out. They replenished as the piles dwindled today but it was SO dead last night. Today was busier.

Anyway,we aren't huge black Friday shoppers, but I do like saving money. I also thought my 13 year old would get a kick out of it. Too bad she didn't get to see the kind of trip we usually see.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate the idea of joining the masses to 'get more stuff.' Even if they're gifts... it's just a sad symbol of our obsession with material possessions. It's not like I don't go out eventually and buy everything I need, but I just can't bring myself to be part of the crowd.

One year dh watched a lady get in a fight over the last Hello Kitty tv.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I like going out on BF, but I don't go during the craziness. Today I went out about 8:30 am, got lots of holiday gifts for the kids at Target, and bought myself a couple of bags at Macy's. I also ordered a few things online. Some of what I got the kids was a great deal, and other things were full price. I don't like to shop a little at a time; I don't stick to my budget as well. So I try to get as much as I can on BF, even if it's full price, and then order anything else I need shortly afterward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've never gone to actual black friday shop.. here in Canada they have started doing black friday sales as well to try and compete so that people aren't all crossing the border to go shop etc, with the lousy dollar thats not really happening much anyways. I shop online for a few christmas gifts etc. I bought stuff at old navy online today.

Do you think that it's really crazy "out there" these days still with how big online shopping has gotten?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've never been where it's crazy! We go almost every year. I will say, the lines are crazy. And will NOT go to Walmart or Toys R US, because I think there crazy people at those places. LOL!

Target, we were in and out in 45 minutes.

Kohl's, we were there probably 2 hours. And I'd guess an hour of it was inline. I don't buy clothes for myself online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I've never gone to actual black friday shop.. here in Canada they have started doing black friday sales as well to try and compete so that people aren't all crossing the border to go shop etc, with the lousy dollar thats not really happening much anyways. I shop online for a few christmas gifts etc. I bought stuff at old navy online today.

Do you think that it's really crazy "out there" these days still with how big online shopping has gotten?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Went to Kohls and Old Navy and wanted to shoot myself by the time I was done - TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't do people. I can't even stand being at Wal-Mart on a regular day. So all it does it make me witchy (that would be with a B not the W.) So I will look around online and see what I can find but, if it isn't a great deal I don't bother even getting it online. I will say this year when I looked nothing seemed to be a huge discount anyway. Maybe I totally missed it lol!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Maybe it depends on where you live and when you go. Even when I've gone early, I've never encountered the lines and pushing and shoving that you sometimes see on tv. And if I ever arrived someplace and saw a line, I'd leave. Online shopping may have thinned the crowds, but I don't know know if it prevents the craziness you sometimes hear about. For the things I shop for, some of the best deals still tend to be in-store only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cindy~ View Post
I will say this year when I looked nothing seemed to be a huge discount anyway. Maybe I totally missed it lol!
I felt the same way. I got one purse at Macy's that was a great deal (a Doorbuster that went for $40 instead of the usual $150), and everything else I bought at Macy's, Target, or Kohls was either full price or just a regular sale price. Chances are I could have gotten the same prices on all of it next week. I always go with the intention of buying the kids' holiday presents, and some years there are such good deals that we also get some household items or small electronics. This year I only bought the gifts.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-28-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It can get that way here because everyone wants everything for free. I haven't heard of any crazy stories this year though so I think it was pretty mellow.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't do Black Friday. Ever. (Ok, except here...)

This year we took REI up on their 'opt outdoors' challenge and went for a family hike.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do not do Black Friday sales. I went one year and even late in the day it was crazy still. But I live in Orlando (near UCF) where shopping on a normal day is crazy. I never go to Walmart and rarely to the mall. If I need something I can get at the local stores I buy online and either ship it to my house or to the store and have my husband pick it up. So much easier.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:00 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We dont have black friday in the netherlands.
i only shop online for scrapkits .
And a few internetshops .bought 2 sportsweaters and a sportshirt for my boys online
Old 11-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a fan of big crowds so I don't do the black friday shopping thing. I'd actually rather pay more for an item than stand in line and fight for it. We normally travel to see family for Thanksgiving so we normally end up spending black friday traveling back home.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I wish I had gone! I want the Wii U Splatoons/Smash Bros. Bundle at Target... they are sold out everywhere now.
I got one of these! Sorry you missed out They didn't have anymore online but I was able to buy one to pick up at a local store.

As others have said above, I hate crowds and would much rather pay full price than go out on Black Friday!! I do look around online and see if I can find any deals that way, though.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live two hours from a major shopping area and had never been shopping before. Since we have the baby coming, my parents hosted and they live in the big city... I decided I would like to maybe try out Black Friday and get some baby stuff... Then we got an ice storm. Turns out that's the perfect time to go Black Friday shopping. Target was mildly busy, but everywhere else was pretty much empty.

I did get a rocker recliner from the Lay-Z-Boy store for $300 off. The lady told us we were only the second family to come it at like 11AM. Haha.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here in Maine stores aren't allowed to open on Thanksgiving so nothing opens until midnight of Black Friday. I don't go anywhere but Cheyanne goes with her BFF, BFF's mom and aunt to the mall. This year they went from midnight until about 6 am while I was sound asleep - LOL. I had to get up at 5 to work so I have breakfast waiting for everyone when they get here to drop her off. I hate to shop on a slow day much less Black Friday
Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did online shopping this year. In past years, I have gone out on both Black Friday and Thanksgiving day. It can be fun, but its cold and crowded and I'd much rather online shop.