Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2023, 08:42 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My mom gave me a Precious Moment figurine in 1983 then another one in 1987. That got me started collecting them. For 9 years, Mom would give me figurines for my birthday and Christmas and I gave her a list of ones I wanted then I would not buy those. She gave me all the calendar girl figurines and many of my Nativity figurines. I got the last figurine from her in 1996, she had bought it that summer for my Christmas gift. I opened it after I returned from Florida where she died on Dec 26th. Dad took the list and bought me one that next year for Christmas but it just wasn't the same. That was the last figurine I got. I have a few very special ones sitting out and have several displays of the ornaments that stay out all year. The rest are in their boxes in 6 tubs in the basement with lists in each tub of what is in there (that was a big project!)

I also sold Longaberger for several years around 1999-2002. Let's just say I was my best customer! I have given many for gifts, sold a few and donated a lot during my downsizing phase but I still have a lot. Just on my desk I have 4 in front of me. I do still have the first 3 baskets I bought at a show in 1983. The baskets I still have are mostly being used.

As a kid, when we went on vacation Mom would pick up postcards from places we visited. She continued doing that when she and Dad traveled during the retirement years. I found quite a few of them when I cleaned out the basement so I have put them in a scrapbook.

As a kid I was enthralled with owls. I didn't have many but I had some owl figurines and even a hand dipped candle in an owl shape from Gatlinburg. I also liked dog figurines. I still have a few of the dogs but the only owl I still have is a clear glass figurine. I kept it because I also have a clear glass dog figurine. I also have a hand dipped candle in the shape of a dog.

These days, I collect books on my Kindle. I do have quite a few of the hard back books that both Mom and I had purchased over the years but mine would be considered small compared to some people. I donated a lot of books several years ago to an AAUW chapter near me for their annual book sale.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie View Post
Yes, I'm German. I live near Nuremberg/Bavaria, a wonderful old town.
Hallo, Josie! Ich war im Heidelberg geboren. Mein Vater war amerikanischer Militar. Und ich habe zwei Jahre in Stuttgart gelebt, von 1990 bis 1992.

And that is about all the German I still have.

Old 06-29-2023, 02:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It’s been fascinating to read about everyone’s collections! I wonder if there’s something about being a scrapbooker that makes one more likely to collect things. After all, we’re collecting memories in our albums, right?

I used to collect magnets when I traveled for work. I had a big metal filing cabinet and I covered the front of it with my magnet collection. People used to come by to check out my new acquisitions all the time. Talk about a great conversation starter!

I collected Playbills from all the shows I attended in London, New York, and Dallas for years. When my stepdaughter became obsessed with theatre in high school, I bequeathed my collection to her.

These days, I collect fabric. I’ve discovered that sewing and buying fabric are actually two different hobbies. <snicker> I’m on a fabric-buying-hiatus until I sew up more of what’s in my stash … but of course we’re going to start seeing fall fabrics before long and I’ll want all the new pretty yardage…

I also collect patterns - primarily Indie-brand PDF patterns - along with audiobooks and ebooks. And photographs. And scrapbook kits. And fonts - omigosh, I am a font fiend! I think it’s over 13,000 and counting…

Of course, the benefit to collecting electronic versions of things is that your family members can’t see just how many you have and stage an intervention…

Old 06-29-2023, 11:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie View Post
Yes, I'm German. I live near Nuremberg/Bavaria, a wonderful old town.
My company is headquartered in Aachen, so when I go, I am usually in that area. It feels like all of Europe is old and historic, which is one of the things I love about it.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:48 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I collect Precious Moments figurines. I even have one signed by the sculptor. I also collect books and photos. Way too many photos. Printed ones that need to be put into albums somehow.
What kind of photos?
Old 06-29-2023, 11:51 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
When I was little my family went on a lot of road trips, and my siblings and I always used to ask for souvenirs everyplace we went...and I mean while we were passing through places on the way to our real destination, LOL. My parent used to let us buy postcards, so that became my collection. I have postcards for everyplace I've been or passed through since I was 8 or so. The nice thing about that collection is I've probably got a few hundred, but it still fits in something the size of a shoebox.

I don't intentionally collect bags, but I guess I have a collection of them. For years I was the kind of person who used the same black purse every day until it wore out. But over the last 3 or so years my life keeps changing, and I've been on a so-far-unsuccessful quest to find the perfect purple bag that keeps working for me even when what I need to carry changes. My mission for this summer is to sell the ones I rarely use (and keep trying to find "the one" rather than switching among my favorites every few days).
I think postcards are great collector items.

I had a "collection" of bags for a while there too, but gave a lot of them away. When I realized that I had never used many of them, I broke the buying habit, but I still love bags.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
My mom gave me a Precious Moment figurine in 1983 then another one in 1987. That got me started collecting them. For 9 years, Mom would give me figurines for my birthday and Christmas and I gave her a list of ones I wanted then I would not buy those. She gave me all the calendar girl figurines and many of my Nativity figurines. I got the last figurine from her in 1996, she had bought it that summer for my Christmas gift. I opened it after I returned from Florida where she died on Dec 26th. Dad took the list and bought me one that next year for Christmas but it just wasn't the same. That was the last figurine I got. I have a few very special ones sitting out and have several displays of the ornaments that stay out all year. The rest are in their boxes in 6 tubs in the basement with lists in each tub of what is in there (that was a big project!)

I also sold Longaberger for several years around 1999-2002. Let's just say I was my best customer! I have given many for gifts, sold a few and donated a lot during my downsizing phase but I still have a lot. Just on my desk I have 4 in front of me. I do still have the first 3 baskets I bought at a show in 1983. The baskets I still have are mostly being used.

As a kid, when we went on vacation Mom would pick up postcards from places we visited. She continued doing that when she and Dad traveled during the retirement years. I found quite a few of them when I cleaned out the basement so I have put them in a scrapbook.

As a kid I was enthralled with owls. I didn't have many but I had some owl figurines and even a hand dipped candle in an owl shape from Gatlinburg. I also liked dog figurines. I still have a few of the dogs but the only owl I still have is a clear glass figurine. I kept it because I also have a clear glass dog figurine. I also have a hand dipped candle in the shape of a dog.

These days, I collect books on my Kindle. I do have quite a few of the hard back books that both Mom and I had purchased over the years but mine would be considered small compared to some people. I donated a lot of books several years ago to an AAUW chapter near me for their annual book sale.
I feel like a lot of collections start because of gift giving, but as long as the receiver likes it, it's a wonderful tradition.

I have a ton of books on my kindle, but I never thought of it as a collection. It's just what I read. LOL

I'm becoming a little more fascinated by the postcards collecting idea though. But since I just took up diamond painting as a new hobby, I need to curtail that urge. LOL
Old 06-29-2023, 12:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
It?s been fascinating to read about everyone?s collections! I wonder if there?s something about being a scrapbooker that makes one more likely to collect things. After all, we?re collecting memories in our albums, right?

I used to collect magnets when I traveled for work. I had a big metal filing cabinet and I covered the front of it with my magnet collection. People used to come by to check out my new acquisitions all the time. Talk about a great conversation starter!

I collected Playbills from all the shows I attended in London, New York, and Dallas for years. When my stepdaughter became obsessed with theatre in high school, I bequeathed my collection to her.

These days, I collect fabric. I?ve discovered that sewing and buying fabric are actually two different hobbies. <snicker> I?m on a fabric-buying-hiatus until I sew up more of what?s in my stash ? but of course we?re going to start seeing fall fabrics before long and I?ll want all the new pretty yardage?

I also collect patterns - primarily Indie-brand PDF patterns - along with audiobooks and ebooks. And photographs. And scrapbook kits. And fonts - omigosh, I am a font fiend! I think it?s over 13,000 and counting?

Of course, the benefit to collecting electronic versions of things is that your family members can?t see just how many you have and stage an intervention?
Ah fonts. They are so easy to "collect," aren't they. I would bet every digital scrapbooker out there has a font collection. LOL

Fabrics are so awesome. I love putting together a quilt palette of fabrics. I have so many fabrics and no time to quilt.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
Hallo, Josie! Ich war im Heidelberg geboren. Mein Vater war amerikanischer Militar. Und ich habe zwei Jahre in Stuttgart gelebt, von 1990 bis 1992.

And that is about all the German I still have.
Heidelberg is a wonderful city and Stuttgart is not that far away from Nuremberg.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:36 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I collect chain jewelry. I have about 40 pieces. A part of it's investisment value, I can accessorize my wardrobe in different ways.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:40 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I collect chain jewelry. I have about 40 pieces. In addition of its investment value, I can accessorize my wardrobe in different ways.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowee View Post
I collect chain jewelry. I have about 40 pieces. A part of it's investisment value, I can accessorize my wardrobe in different ways.
Are all forty pieces different? What is your favorite kind of chain? Mine is the herringbone. It always makes such a statement and is just a great pattern.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
What kind of mugs?
Any and all! I have quite a few that I've made through Shutterfly. Some from places I've visited as well.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I forgot...we also collect Christmas ornaments. We get them as souvenirs from the places we visit. It is getting to the point where I had to buy another tree for all the ornaments