Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up Maker Faires, Makers & Hackers ... are you one? We are!!

You all know our family is into robotics and some have read that we are into Power Wheels racing ... so it might not be too far of a stretch to hear that we belong to a Hackerspace* (keep reading...it might not be what you think it is) ...

A few members of our family were video taped for the group to talk about Power Wheels Racing and I tried to explain a bit on what a hackerspace is ... here is the page our videos are on ... and more information on other things the group is doing ... check it out ... (and excuse the end of the video ... I was VERY nervous being in front of the camera) ... and somewhere in there are pictures of the 3D printers these people make at home or there at the space... COOL!!

http://c3kc.org/

My favorite toy is my HP Touchpad ... it didn't start out too hot with the Web OS on it ... the guys at the hackerspace* we belong to hacked it and added Android to it ... so now it does so much more than the original OS did ... I can run all the android apps on it ... and it was only $150 for a tablet!!! No way dh would have let me spend $500+ on a tablet to "play with".

*Hackerspace: as in they make things ... or hack them (take things apart) to make them better ... they are the "good guys" ... they are into 3D printing, making jewelry, robotics ... and all kinds of fun things!! One guy bought a "Twike" (electric vehicle) and sat there and "built" his own batteries for the car!

We are involved with them in many aspects ... my 16yo took an electronics class from them (awesome class), I am taking a 3D printing and design class from them, dh a CNC class, and I am going to take a class on arduinos in April! We are also "hacking" those little kids Power Wheels vehicles that go about 2-3 MPH and making them go about 20 MPH! It's such fun!

The arduino class will be my first step to learning how to make some awesome an fun things ... I plan on making one that will open my vertical blinds either with a light sensor (opening them when it gets light outside and closing when it gets dark or using the "VCR" button on my tv remote to open and close the blinds. I will need to use the 3D printer at the space to print my own gears for the project. Watch this video that one of the guys in our group made ... I plan on making one for the tall vertical blinds at my house.

The more advanced project I want to work on is to write an app for my smart phone to be able to tell if my garage door is open or closed from wherever I happen to be at the time ... and close it if it is up ... or open it if someone is there and needs access to my home. Watch this video to give you an idea of how the arduino and a garage door can interact with a smart phone.

Interesting? Intrigued? Do a search and see if there is a hackerspace in your area you can check out!! Maybe not quite ready for that ... then check to see if there is a Maker Faire in a city near you and attend that ... it is full of these kind of people showing the things that they make ... the group our **FAMILY** has joined is a great community of people wanting to share what they know and learning from each other.

We race our Power Wheels car at the Maker Faires that have the PPPRS racing ... this year it will be Kansas City, Detroit, and the mini maker faire in Chicago! Check out our face book page Duct Tape & Zip Ties Racing Team

... so does that destroy the myth that the movies & media have portrayed ... yes there are the bad kinds of hackers ... but the "Make Movement" is about makers and hackers of a whole different breed ... I feel so fortunate that we met up with these people in June of last year ... I feel "at home" there ... and I am constantly learning new things.

so if you are inclined to like techy toys and maybe create or hack your own, or if you have tweens or teenagers that love technology, maybe you should find a hackerspace near you and check it out!!! We are sure glad we did!

Signed,

Sharon
a maker, a Hacker and proud of it!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sharon, I heard of these before. The boys and DH would really enjoy finding a hackerspace around here. I need the garage door app!

Penny
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
Sharon, I heard of these before. The boys and DH would really enjoy finding a hackerspace around here. I need the garage door app!
Drop me a PM with basic area where you live and I'll see if I can locate one in your area. Our hackerspace invigorates me ... challenges me ... inspires me ... and I just all the people there! At some point I want to 3D print myself a hybrid album cover!

Oh I know ... I think that is so cool ... and to say you made it yourself is even cooler!