Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2023, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Halloween mood: your biggest fears

Halloween is fast approaching. To get into the mood, what is your biggest fear?
Do you have any phobias? Share a gif or a meme for the fun!

I am very afraid of insects in general but particularly of wasps and hornets. I installed mosquito nets just for this reason...

And of course, I shared it with my children.
I don't see it often but I also hate snakes and rats.
What about you?
Old 10-09-2023, 10:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

hmm... I hate wasps, too. I don't like anything creepy/crawly...

I hate bridges - though I'm getting better with them - the fear of going over the edge and trapped in my car, under water.... *shutter*... It was worse when my son was in a car seat knowing that he wouldn't be able to get out.

I also hate heights... like my knees wobble on the first rung of a ladder... haha
Old 10-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Becca totally agree with the creepy/crawly things.
The bridges are a thing too! I had to take a long one everyday and multiple time a day. I was like you thinking of the kids car seats but fortunately it wasn't my biggest fear but I understand how it could be a big one!
And for the heights I have big difficulties with ladders too! I'm always begging to someone to hold it wich is quite stupid and yell "stay with me I could fall"! But honestly don't see how my kids could do something for me in this case! lol
Old 10-09-2023, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a really strange phobia - oil refineries (there are quite a few in the beach area of CA), or anything with big metal tubes and stuff. Even the engine room on the Queen Mary in Long Beach was enough to send me into a panic attack.
If we pass an oil refinery, I have to look away!
It's the weirdest thing!
Old 10-09-2023, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I have a really strange phobia - oil refineries (there are quite a few in the beach area of CA), or anything with big metal tubes and stuff. Even the engine room on the Queen Mary in Long Beach was enough to send me into a panic attack.
If we pass an oil refinery, I have to look away!
It's the weirdest thing!
Oh this one is funny to read but guess not funny for you! Do you even find a little reason for this? I mean sometimes phobia are just totally
unexplained.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy View Post
Oh this one is funny to read but guess not funny for you! Do you even find a little reason for this? I mean sometimes phobia are just totally
unexplained.
LOL! I don't have any reason that I can think of. I do think it's funny (after we're past and I'm done shuddering. )
Old 10-09-2023, 11:37 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Totally silly, but I hate staircases I can see through and I won't walk on a metal plate or grate in a parking lot. It's just a straight nope for me. I'm not really a fan of heights.

Less silly fears... I'm kind of afraid of getting old.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind heights in general where I can see the ground- but heights AND water freak me out. I'm not a person who just jumps in the water for this reason (I will at our lake house only because I know where the bottom is at that exact location!)
Old 10-09-2023, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Out living my kids to my only huge fear. I'm am quite excited to get the bajeebies scared out of me at the amusement park this year. I have one shot to finally go at night when all the scary stuff happens this weekend, so I'm hoping it doesn't rain.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Totally silly, but I hate staircases I can see through and I won't walk on a metal plate or grate in a parking lot. It's just a straight nope for me. I'm not really a fan of heights.

Less silly fears... I'm kind of afraid of getting old.

YESSSSS!!!! I have nightmares about being on a top floor of a hotel and having to use stairs that are open to the very bottom... I refuse to go up to the top of a lighthouse if there is open stairs or grates for steps.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have the silliest phobia ever, but it really a thing for me. I am afraid of snail mail and will put off getting it, much less opening it, for as long as I can. When I do have to open something, I have a physical reaction, as in my breath gets shorter and I start sweating on my upper lip.

And don't even get me going about the flyers/papers people throw in the yard, that I have to go get and throw away. Just touching them gives me the willies.

I think I just associate the mail with bad news, which is why I have developed a fear of it.
Old 10-09-2023, 03:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My big one is arachnophobia. When I'm under a lot of stress, I have night terrors where I wake up and see spiders descending from the ceiling. I've been known to jump out of bed screaming, only to wake my husband up as I'm standing at the foot of the bed shaking.

I've got another weird one that comes and goes: astrophobia. And it's all my father's fault. When I was a little kid, I found a photo in an encyclopedia that was a composite of satellite photos of all the planets in our solar system, side-by-side. Like an arc across the page. Not but a couple days later, my dad said that Jupiter was visible in the night sky and he wanted to take me outside and show me.

Well, I had the image of that photo in my head - with great big Jupiter and that swirly spot on it - and I said no, I don't want to see it. We argued, and he said I was being silly, so he picked me up and bodily carried me out onto the back porch.

Turns out that night was also a super moon. So the first thing I see is this big, fat orange moon hanging near the horizon - and I started screaming and shaking. My first panic attack ever. Of course, Jupiter was just a larger-than-normal star, but I wouldn't calm down enough to listen.

Since then, I have a recurring nightmare about standing in the middle of an open field, looking up at the stars, and suddenly the planets come whizzing across the sky, one by one, until they're all hanging over my head - and then they come closer, and closer, and closer - and I wake up right before I'm swallowed whole by Jupiter's spot. This is going on 40 years I still have that damn dream.

I still sometimes get the shakes and panicky when I'm outside under the stars. Planetariums can trigger a panic attack. Even using Google Earth where you can zoom out and fly over the planet can trigger me. But I've tried over the years to force myself to go out and look at the stars for short periods of time... trying to desensitize myself. Hasn't worked yet, but I'm still trying.

Weird, huh?

Old 10-09-2023, 04:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
My big one is arachnophobia. When I'm under a lot of stress, I have night terrors where I wake up and see spiders descending from the ceiling. I've been known to jump out of bed screaming, only to wake my husband up as I'm standing at the foot of the bed shaking.
I can SO relate to this, Angie! My arachnophobia has gotten a lot better, but when we were first married and I was stressed, my poor husband would be woken up by me jumping out of bed and turning on the light because I was having night terrors of spiders on the ceiling! Poor guy!
Old 10-09-2023, 04:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I can SO relate to this, Angie! My arachnophobia has gotten a lot better, but when we were first married and I was stressed, my poor husband would be woken up by me jumping out of bed and turning on the light because I was having night terrors of spiders on the ceiling! Poor guy!
I'm sorry you've battled this too, Tammy, but it's kinda nice to know I'm not alone!

Old 10-09-2023, 04:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
I'm sorry you've battled this too, Tammy, but it's kinda nice to know I'm not alone!
Big hugs, my friend!
Old 10-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Heights is a huge fear of mine. That's my top worst fear.

Spiders and any bug really.

Dark water & the deep ocean.

The dark, I suffer from sleep paralysis and it's awful although I've never seen a demon or figure like people do. I see things that aren't there in shadows etc... my mind plays a lot of tricks on me.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2023, 10:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't like stairs you can see through either. I've got some irrational thought of slipping and falling through the slot. It also gives me the heebie jeebies to drive over the grate lane on the Mackinac Bridge (roughly 5 miles). I avoid it at all costs. I get the shivers thinking about it.
I also hate mice. Hate. Them.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not a fan of heights at all...The upstairs of a mall will send me on my knees, escalators in the middle of an open mall...NOPE. Embassy Suites with the narrow walkways to get to the room...
We did the bridge walk at New River Valley Gorge...I cried the first few minutes. I am glad I did it but never again.
I agree with Robin...glass or see through steps, grates...none of it.

Bugs are another thing...If there is one in the house I will trap it and let hubby get it when he gets here.

I also have severe PTSD about falling. I have fallen off a ladder twice in the last few months, a nasty fall on my head a year ago as well as a few missteps on stairs. I am super slow and cautious now.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:53 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Glass/see through steps make me anxious. I can force/choose to go on them, but I become anxious. I absolutely won't go on those glass bridges, though, I think I'd die.

Most reptiles give me heebie jeebies.... ughhh...

I am with you on falling, Kim. Not as severe, but I often experience some 'imaginary falling' that makes me so anxious, the worst ones are when it happens while I am laying flat on the bed sleeping.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have anxiety so i'm pretty much scared of... everything. Some stuff more than others but I don't really need to admit everything I avoid in life LOL

BUT

in terms of phobias anything to do with sickness/hospitals/injuries I am horrible at that stuff. I fainted because I cut my hand on a grater.. fell flat on my face and got a concussion lol.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Claustrophia. This bleeds into not being able to breathe properly, too. So I have to remind myself not to panic when I am breathing heavily or have a stuffed nose.

I also hate cliffs. Just so scary being on the edge like that.