Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Sports Moms?

My oldest is a freshman this year (ugh that makes me feel really old typing that lol) and will be doing his first year of football. He has been SO excited about it and working really hard this summer getting ready for it all. They get their final positions this Friday but it is looking like he will be an offensive tackle and defensive end. He is certainly a big boy for his age (he is 6'2'' and weighs 210lb) and has been so hyped about playing.

Anyone else have kiddos currently in a sport or getting ready to start?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:52 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

aw, I LOVED being a football mom! But my oldest son is now in college and doesn't play anymore. My youngest son, only 8 years old, plays soccer and the fall season is just getting ready to start soon!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We're TaeKwonDo folks at our house (hubby just received his black belt candidate this weekend!). That's about as sporty as we get
Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Both of my boys are in football this year. It's the first year for both of them. My oldest will be in 8th this year and he is a guard and a lineman (what he lacks in height and weight he makes up in ferocity!) and my middle son, who is going into 6th, is a corner and wide receiver. Opposites as usual!

The older boy was really struggling last year with finding himself but football has snapped him back (as much as possible for a 13 year old) to his senses and I am ecstatic about the changes in him just in the last 3 weeks since the season started. I truly believe that the endorphins and hormones are regulated better with regular, strenuous exercise! Thank God for football!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Julie- I am excited about the football season. My first time as a football mom and I can't wait for their first game.

Yay for soccer! My oldest played soccer in his younger years too.

Darcy- I think that is pretty sporty! Congrats to your DH! That is exciting! My nephew does TaeKwonDo and LOVES it!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I miss my football mom days too! DS (soon to be 24) was a wide receiver and cornerback also.

DD (11) starts travel team soccer next week and school team soccer the week after that. Then it's on to basketball (school and travel) and then track season next spring. She might try to squeeze in swim team too, depending on the practice schedule. She is VERY athletic, but doesn't get it from me at ALL! That's all from her dad.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Wow Marie! She sounds very athletic for sure! I think it is great! You will definitely be busy! lol
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DD does gymnastics twice a week (training to be on the prep op competition team for next year) year round and swim team during the summer.

She used to do dance and cheerleading too, but with the more rigorous gymnastics schedule, she had to give up a few things. My hubby would be in heaven if we had a boy who played football...or any other "boy-ish" sport for that matter! Hope everyone has a great season!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Abby does dance but I love football so I'll be thrilled if J plays although I think he's more a baseball kid.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're getting ready to start dance with both of the girls and soccer with the boy. They all three played softball/tball earlier in the summer. Corbin (my oldest) also does volleyball and basketball rec leagues but her heart is really leaning toward softball being #1. Dh can't wait for ds to start playing football - he's still a few years away though! We're a pretty sporty family and I love it!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is my 7th year as a high school football mom. My oldest played all 4 years and my next son is in his 3rd year of it. Football for him started last May with spring ball, then led right into weight-lifting, passing league, football camp and the week before school started they had 2-a-days. It's been brutal! Tomorrow is their first scrimmage, then the first game is next week.

My youngest boys take fall off and then will start flag football in January.

I have lots of football layouts in my gallery. Would sure love a new football kit though. *hinthint*
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son is going to be doing his first year of tee ball next month.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are starting up baseball and soccer next week! J does soccer and P baseball. Hopefully, we won't have conflicting practice times!!!

Penny
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 9yr old son is getting ready to play soccer. He's been practicing and running alot to get ready for the season.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

It is so fun to read about what all of the kiddos are up to. My 9 year old dd is in competition team gymnastics and it is pretty much year round. This summer we qualified for Nationals so that was a lot of fun (and turned into our family vacation). She also plays competition soccer so that involves a lot of traveling. She just got done with her summer training camp which she loved. The tournaments have started and pretty much go through January. then she will play indoor soccer. She lives for her sports.

My boys are just starting their first year of soccer. They are in K this year. They are so excited and even more so because dad is the assistant coach. The funny thing is, I am not athletic at all. My friends think it is a riot that my kids love sports.

Last edited by Davita; 08-16-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I JUST said to Jordan the other day, that I will be really upset if our kids aren't into sports, lol. I did soccer, basketball, and track, but soccer was my main sport. I literally played all year round and LOVED it. I still miss it actually. He played some soccer, baseball, ran cross country, and loves golf.

I totally want to be a sports mom
Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like everyone is busy or getting ready to be! How exciting everything is!

Col- I totally know what you mean! You never know what your kiddo will end up liking and it is always nice when they end up sharing some of our interests!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest is in football (almost 9) and the youngest (6) will play soccer. He wanted football but it isn't offered here until 2nd grade. In the spring I am sure they will both play baseball.

We live in a town where high school sports are big deal. HS football games start soon and we can't wait!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ds13 is on the JV soccer team and that has been a lot of fun so far. High School season will end just in time for him to go with his club team to a tournament in North Carolina so that's great too.

dd11 switched from competitive gymnastics to cheer this year and those competitions start in October. (Her team has a lot of potential but man do they need work!)

dd6 would have been a level 4 gymnast but when her big sis quit, I made her quit too. She did a lot of soccer over the summer and seems to have some natural talent (much more than she did for gymnastics) so hopefully we have many soccer years ahead of us!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My son is a senior and playing his second year of football. My daughter does not like sports at all so she does piano.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

My oldest, also a freshman this year, is on the Varsity Tennis Team. He busted his butt over the summer and it's paying off! I talked with his Coach tonight and he's ranked #3 on the Varsity team! Woo-hoo! Can't wait till it's cooler and I can sit through a match without sweating my booty off!

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My DS (6) is on a diving team. He just moved up to Junior Olympic level and I am trying to figure out how to handle it in terms of meshing training with school and family. He's going to top out here in a couple of years and I think we are going to be in a position of trying to decide whether to move to get him better training and may even get pressure to board him with a coach We turned down a spot on for team gymnastics earlier this summer to concentrate on diving and the gym is putting pressure on us to go back to gymnastics. They like to get me and hubby separated from each other to make their pitch. I find it to be incredibly hard parenting that I really have no frame of reference for as growing up, none of us had any talent at sports!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ds10 and ds7 both are playing soccer this fall. ds7 has never played - he's been a naysayer to organized sports, but has some natural talent so we'll see.