Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini
Default OK....I am a HUGE nerd....Apple's New iPad looks awesome!

You can see the live blog here....with pictures and whatnot.

This thing looks pretty cool. I was thinking of getting a Kindle, but if the price is right, I might just get this!

Susan
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DROOL!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby and I are talking about this. I have a kindle and love it! My only concern with the Apple is the price of the downloads. For my kindle, I have never paid more than $9 for a book.....my average cost is $6. The apple does have a lot of neat apps and features though.

I am going to stick with my kindle. My hubby is eying the apple. We will see. It depends on how much it cost and how much the downloads cost.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is going to cost $499 for the 16g
Old 01-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

whoa that is hot! Love it! I got an iTouch for Christmas and use it with the Kindle app and LOVE reading on my iTouch. I can't imagine life without the iTouch now But that iPad looks pretty awesome. I like the larger size!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The price is $499 - $829...I have no need for the 3G technology, but I deriously think I need to pick one of these up when we go to the states in May.

Last edited by FireWolf; 01-27-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWolf View Post
The starting price is $499 for the WiFi version...don't know what the 3G version will cost...I may have to pick on of these up when we go to the states in May.
according to the graphic at 11:20am on that live blog, the costs are:
16 GB Wifi = $499
16 GB Wifi + 3G = $629
32 GB Wifi = $599
32 GB Wifi + 3G = $729
64 GB Wifi = $699
64 GB Wifi + 3G = $829
Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Now I'm an Apple fan but I'm just not getting the hype with this one. Isn't it basically just a bigger iTouch? I'm curious to see where this will end up fitting into the current market. Plus I have a hard time picturing myself hauling this thing around in purse as a replacement for my iPhone. The reason I use the Kindle app on my iPhone rather than my actual Kindle is because of the size.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these things will sell and people will love them and I may even change my mind later, haha. I'm just not seeing it as all that big of a game-changer especially as a so-called "Kindle killer." One advantage that I think the Kindle has is that it's simple to use. My mom is not tech-savvy at all but she LOVES her Kindle. I have a hard time picturing her ever using something as fancy as this as a replacement for her books. If anything she'd probably just get confused trying to find her books.

I do think it'll be interesting to see if this has an effect on the magazine industry though, because to me this is the one advantage the iPad has over the iPhone or the Kindle. I would sure be ok with a portable device for reading magazines rather than seeing them all just disappear.

Ok and is it just me or is the iPad the WORST name ever. The fact that iTampon is a trending topic on twitter and iPad isn't kind of says it all.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This looks awesome, a bigger version of my phone that I can't imagine life without :-) But that price, I just can't see paying that much!! :-(

Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I heard someone say that it was going to be the iphone on steroids. Apparently they were right .
Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I do think it'll be interesting to see if this has an effect on the magazine industry though, because to me this is the one advantage the iPad has over the iPhone or the Kindle. I would sure be ok with a portable device for reading magazines rather than seeing them all just disappear.
I totally agree. It would be great to get magazines on this. I don't have a Kindle yet, so I think I would probably would get this instead. Also, whenever we travel, I can totally see using this. We go on long roadtrips as a family and I would LOVE to be able to surf the internet, watch a movie, or email while my hubby is driving. I could also see using this in the kitchen. Whenever I need a recipe, I hate having to go to my desktop and print it out. I could just set this up on my counter and cook! Also, I love the accessories they show on the blog....
Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think I love it too, although it would be hard to convince SO that I need it, after I just managed to convince him I needed an iphone before christmas

I'm not sold on the reading books electronically yet though.. I just think it won't be the same as a real book. I have never tried the kindle, I've read some magazines on my laptop and I don't like it at all. I didn't know there was a kindle app for the iphone though, maybe I need to try that!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i think it looks fab of course, i don't have any need for one since i have a new macbook pro, a new iphone, and an (old) kindle - LOL - but if i had any leftover $$ i'd buy one haha!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am on the fence with this one. I guess because I have an iPhone and a Nook I don't have a need for it now.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ok and is it just me or is the iPad the WORST name ever. The fact that iTampon is a trending topic on twitter and iPad isn't kind of says it all.
When I was looking at it on the Apple site, the name didn't strike me as odd/bad at all. But now that is all I'm hearing lol.

I want it in the way that I want all spiffy gadgets. Think it might be nice for movie watching. But it doesn't look that comfortable to hold. I can see my hand cramping up or something. I wonder if any of the sketching/drawing apps work on it. That might be fun.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I'm a HUGE Apple fan too, but can't see myself getting this anytime soon. Especially because of the price. Wait two years, and they'll be MUCH more affordable. I can see getting one of these instead of a Kindle, but like I said, not for a while. I really do love my iTouch though, and I'm still trying to convince hubby that I need an iPhone. He just hates AT&T, so he doesn't want me to get one. But, I will, someday. But, probably first on my list is a new MacBook. Mine is a few years old now, and I really want one with a faster processor and bigger hard drive. Someday . . . .

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Now I'm an Apple fan but I'm just not getting the hype with this one. Isn't it basically just a bigger iTouch? I'm curious to see where this will end up fitting into the current market. Plus I have a hard time picturing myself hauling this thing around in purse as a replacement for my iPhone. The reason I use the Kindle app on my iPhone rather than my actual Kindle is because of the size.
My 21yo ds (who has an ipod touch) just came upstairs and told me about this ... said he had heard rumblings in his forums prior to its' release ... but now all these teens and young adults (my term not his) are going "but why?" and "what's the big deal?"

My dh works for Sprint and we get a fantastic deal on our service, so this won't happen for us. Even if it could ... if we can't scrap on it ... I don't need it.

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 01-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Since you have to have a mac to use it it would be useless to me. I like the idea of it though. Pretty spiffy.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I thought that was funny... I just saw this on the failblog...

...lol, sry, I don't use anything apple, so I don't really have anything else to add...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha. nothing to add.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristine View Post
I'm not sold on the reading books electronically yet though.. I just think it won't be the same as a real book. I have never tried the kindle, I've read some magazines on my laptop and I don't like it at all. I didn't know there was a kindle app for the iphone though, maybe I need to try that!
You can download the Kindle on the iPhone for free and try some free books. I didn't think I'd care for it but I LOVE it. Its awesome to be able to get the next book in a series within minutes of finishing one I do like it on the phone, you see people all over looking at their phone and no one thinks anything of it. So if I'm reading in the elevator ppl just think I'm texting or something.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Looks interesting, but I agree, that name is too much.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Neato. I'd better start saving up for it!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hehe, this one is funny. If there really is an iPad & it feels great, I'd buy it LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post

...lol, sry, I don't use anything apple, so I don't really have anything else to add...
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh jeez, cuz of this thread, i had a dream i was back at work & they were making us all go out & buy those things! lol!

not for me, but then again, i just use my laptop...

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Denise Umlauf

DH showed me that #fail photo yesterday and I couldn´t stop laughing. I know someday, when the price gets lower here in Brazil, we will probably buy one. But for now, I'm more than happy with my iTouch. We're becoming Apple geeks here o.O
Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That iPad is totally cool! I'd love one, but I have no actual reason to need it! hehe
Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have an itouch and just love it and just am having a hard time on why I would want this too....I like how I can carry this in my purse and this would not fit. And I am sooooo laughing at the graphic here - I am stunned as to why Apple would name it that - didn't anyone say huh???? I was pretty bummed though - I heard that an annoucement was going to be made about verizon and apple hooking up together to release a 4g Iphone in the summer/fall. NOW that is the announcement I want to hear!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post

OMGoodness!!!! Hilarious!!
When I saw this yesterday, I thought it looked SO cool! Yea, I'll be saving up my money. By the time I have it saved up, it might be more affordable
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbhb View Post
Since you have to have a mac to use it it would be useless to me. I like the idea of it though. Pretty spiffy.
Why would you have to have a mac to use this?????

I have been needing a laptop and since this has been released we will be getting one of these, the price is great for an apple product!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The name was a play off the Touchpad. As it is one giant touch screen. I get what they were trying to do, but not sure it was totally thought out well. I love new gadgets as much as the next geek, but I'm not sold on this at all. It does not have flash, nor can you. It is rounded back so when you set it down to type it rolls. Its too big for my purse and I have my crackberry anyway. The cost is actually higher than most netbooks that will do more, including multitasking. I have an Ipod for my music/audiobooks and my laptop for everything else. I don't see the point in this device. Most people have things that do everything it does and more already. I'm sure some will buy it just cause its the new Apple product but I won't be one in line
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I have been eyeing this more and more and MORE each day. I don't have an iPhone, kindle or iPod touch, so this might be my thing! I am hoping someone will get one and can offer a review...I'm talking to you Susan LOL
Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mama-to-Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbhb View Post
You HAAAAAAVE to have a Mac to use this????

Well that juts plain sucks.
The ever FABULOUS Lauren Grier
Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama-to-Elle View Post
You HAAAAAAVE to have a Mac to use this????

Well that juts plain sucks.
No you don't I didn't see the windows system requirements when I first saw it...just the mac ones so I assumed it only worked with mac. Sorry about that...didn't mean to scare you.