Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 02:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Any perfume lovers out there?

I admit that I am realllly sensitive to smells and typical perfumes are almost always too heavy or just smell too artificial. I've recently fallen down a rabbit hole of reading reviews and trying out samples and I have to say I have fallen in love with the brand byredo. If only they weren't SOOOO expensive. I tried the perfumes g* water and bal d'afrique and I am OBSSESSED. They are both such pretty fragrances that have a natural smell to them and nothing too alcoholic smelling. G* water literally reminds me of part of my walking path I take in the woods that goes along a creek. I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify buying an actual bottle but they sure are pretty. I got the sample of bal d'afrqiue today and I keep smelling my arm lol.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:11 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Marc Jacobs Daisy all the way. I'll never use anything else and I'm kinda sensitive to smells too. Most perfumes give me (and Adriaan) a headache, but Daisy is perfection!
Old 06-16-2023, 02:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That one is on my list to try! I know it's been around forever but I've never actually tried it. The only perfume I ever really have had is philosophy but I"m not really loving them as much these days.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sensitive to perfumes also! I really don't wear anything but a dab of essential oils occasionally. If I do tolerate a fragrance, it's usually musk or more "masculine" not as floral. I like scents like lavender, vanilla, sandalwood, and even patchouli (you either love it or hate it). I'm on the hunt for something that smells like Linden blossom. It's such a specific smell and reminds me of the trees in upstate NY that bloom in the summer... childhood. I want that smell!!! I found one on possets.com but haven't ordered it yet.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:50 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I wore Wind Song 30 years ago. As my mom's emphysema worsened, smells really bothered her so I stopped wearing it. And, I grew to be sensitive to smells. I cannot go in a candle aisle at a store.

After she died I would stop at a Hallmark store on my way home from work and just walking by the candle aisle was an experience. I did like candles and I did find one brand that wasn't a heavy smell but still could only burn it for an hour at most. They were Old Virginia Candles. I do still have one that was a special for the Ohio State Buckeyes. What I like about their candles was that there was a lid for the jar. I stopped with candles when I got my first dog.

And, to think I burned incense in my dorm rooms and apartments all the time in the 70's! Couldn't handle that now!
Old 06-16-2023, 03:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I'm so sensitive to perfumes also! I really don't wear anything but a dab of essential oils occasionally. If I do tolerate a fragrance, it's usually musk or more "masculine" not as floral. I like scents like lavender, vanilla, sandalwood, and even patchouli (you either love it or hate it). I'm on the hunt for something that smells like Linden blossom. It's such a specific smell and reminds me of the trees in upstate NY that bloom in the summer... childhood. I want that smell!!! I found one on possets.com but haven't ordered it yet.
ohh that sounds pretty! I can't do heavy florals or anything sweet (OMG nausea) I bet we have similar tastes when it comes to smell. I like lavender and vanilla but the vanilla can't be too heavy or then it ends up too food like/heavy/sickening
Old 06-16-2023, 03:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I wore Wind Song 30 years ago. As my mom's emphysema worsened, smells really bothered her so I stopped wearing it. And, I grew to be sensitive to smells. I cannot go in a candle aisle at a store.

After she died I would stop at a Hallmark store on my way home from work and just walking by the candle aisle was an experience. I did like candles and I did find one brand that wasn't a heavy smell but still could only burn it for an hour at most. They were Old Virginia Candles. I do still have one that was a special for the Ohio State Buckeyes. What I like about their candles was that there was a lid for the jar. I stopped with candles when I got my first dog.

And, to think I burned incense in my dorm rooms and apartments all the time in the 70's! Couldn't handle that now!

awww
Old 06-16-2023, 03:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Since I don't leave the house much, I rarely wear perfume. I think the ones that I love are no longer made... I was so crushed when they stopped making Vivienne Westwood's Libertene (holy smokes, it's $179 on ebay!) and Tommy Hilfiger's Freedom... that last one was my "armor" when I was a corporate trainer. My "power suit" if you will, haha.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:07 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

See... I can't stand sweet / food / dessert smelling fragrances. Anything with vanilla notes makes me gag. Katie has an air freshener from Bath and Body Works in her car that makes me want to die when I go anywhere with her.

Daisy is fresh / spring / slightly sweet but in a crisp way like pear? maybe... Not alcohol-y at all... just really really great and light. You should definitely check it out KCB.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I can't deal with most scents. I love the idea of smelly things. I'll either get super nauseous or get a migraine, but I do have one perfume that I've found that I can wear that doesn't do either of those things to me.

Glow by Jlo of all things. I've had the same bottle for probably 10 years. I wear is so infrequently.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sensitive too. I hate florals like rose, and I don't do sweets & fruity. I love sandalwood, ylang ylang, and fresh scents.
That said. I usually have some Bath & Body Works Body spray because it doesn't last the whole day and isn't overpowering.

But if I'm going to true perfume, I tend to like the Avon Haiku line. It started with just Haiku that they've had forever and I love it. But they have some new offspring and I have 2 versions that I like just as well.

But now I want to smell yours Kristin. lol. I need to check them out.

I'm actually get Allen a cologne sample subscription box for our anniversary next month. Now I wonder if I should get my own too?? lol

Old 06-16-2023, 04:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just started wearing Life in Lilac Heart Throb
https://lifeinlilac.com/products/rol...me-heart-throb
Old 06-16-2023, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't do perfumes at all, I wish I did. I just start sneezing immediately. There is a Gardenia one that I fell in love w/ I can't even remember the brand, but didn't make me sneeze, but it weirded my hubby out. He said that I smelled like his nana.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't wear it every day, but I have Estee Lauder's Beautiful. (The regular/original one.) My husband bought me a different brand one year and I broke out in a rash so I haven't tried any others since then. Just the Beautiful.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's been forever since I've purchased "real" perfume. I can't even tell you what I used to wear! I have not ever liked the flowery-overpowering scents.

I use Young Living essential oils and do love the scent of Peace & Calming that is a combination of Blue Tansy, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I loved perfume and scented lotion when I was in high school and college, and then I married Joel. He has a nose like a bloodhound and can smell the scent from my shampoo sometimes. He wanted me to stop wearing anything with scent, and I was surprised at how my frequent headaches went away once I did.

Recently, I got a sample of Bambu Earth skincare, which is made from oils and spells like the earth, and I could be applying it in the bathroom and he would be complaining from the living room. lol

Anyway, I'm totally unhelpful because you asked for advice about perfume and I'm telling you the opposite of your question, but that's generally how I am.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
But now I want to smell yours Kristin.
I read that as, "But now I want to smell like you, Kristin."
Old 06-17-2023, 02:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I loved perfume and scented lotion when I was in high school and college, and then I married Joel. He has a nose like a bloodhound and can smell the scent from my shampoo sometimes. He wanted me to stop wearing anything with scent, and I was surprised at how my frequent headaches went away once I did.

Recently, I got a sample of Bambu Earth skincare, which is made from oils and spells like the earth, and I could be applying it in the bathroom and he would be complaining from the living room. lol

Anyway, I'm totally unhelpful because you asked for advice about perfume and I'm telling you the opposite of your question, but that's generally how I am.
Perfumed and scented lotions and sprays is all the rave in HS right now!

Old 06-17-2023, 10:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
I read that as, "But now I want to smell like you, Kristin."
roflmaooooo

Old 06-17-2023, 11:39 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Seriously can't have hubby thinking you smell like your Nana! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
I can't do perfumes at all, I wish I did. I just start sneezing immediately. There is a Gardenia one that I fell in love w/ I can't even remember the brand, but didn't make me sneeze, but it weirded my hubby out. He said that I smelled like his nana.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am very allergic to perfumes and wish the world was not so full of them. At one point I even had to find unfragranced shampoo and conditioner - I would take it with me to hair appointments. After going off dairy for a couple of years my allergies went down significantly. Now perfumes just give me a bad headache & a bit of light headedness - some far more than others. The only perfume I could wear was one that had a soap overtone to it that was made by Clinique but has long since been retired. It kind of smelled like someone who had just been freshly bathed with the slightest of floral in addition.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
I am very allergic to perfumes and wish the world was not so full of them. At one point I even had to find unfragranced shampoo and conditioner - I would take it with me to hair appointments. After going off dairy for a couple of years my allergies went down significantly. Now perfumes just give me a bad headache & a bit of light headedness - some far more than others. The only perfume I could wear was one that had a soap overtone to it that was made by Clinique but has long since been retired. It kind of smelled like someone who had just been freshly bathed with the slightest of floral in addition.
I've never been sensitive to the point with fragrances with shampoos but definitely with perfume. there are a lot of new companies making cleaner fragrances that don't have the same headache inducing chemicals as the older brands. Aldehydes are a big one. I'm not sure how much is true with these clean brands that don't have the same things in them but I definitely notice that I don't feel the same with the samples i've been trying compared to the more traditional brands. I just want to smell fresh and clean.. not spraying to try and seduce my husband. haha.

I don't get out much at all so I don't notice if overwhelming perfume is still a big problem (although i imagine it is lol) since the places I do go (dentist, dr etc) are all scent free.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
'm actually get Allen a cologne sample subscription box for our anniversary next month. Now I wonder if I should get my own too?? lol
what box are you getting?
Old 06-17-2023, 03:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have an old one from Bath & Body Works that is scented like creme brulee that I like and one that is called Vanilla Noir. I also have Marc Jacobs Daisy. I very, very rarely wear them. My high school boyfriend wore too much cologne and I have been shy about it ever since. My husband also is crazy with scents. He hates all fake fragrances, but he does wear daily cologne.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a total contradiction: I love fragrance because it's such a memory trigger for me, but I struggle with horrible migraines. And while smells don't trigger my migraines, I become hyper-sensitive to scents when I'm in the prodrome or attack phases.

My husband loves it when I smell like food. <snicker> So I tend to wear things like apple or vanilla or peppermint or cinnamon body sprays from Bath & Body Works. I love the scent of amber (Amber Romance by Victoria's Secret was my signature scent in my late 20s & early 30s) and my latest obsession is bergamot.

But something that doesn't bother me at all on a good day can suddenly make me seriously nauseous when I'm migrainey. Blech.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post

OMG, my husband is exactly the same! He even complains about the smell of my underarm deodorant!

Old 06-18-2023, 02:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Marc Jacob’s all the way. I absolutely loved Lola but they don’t make it anymore which is so sad as it is gorgeous. I then found Perfect, all by Marc Jacob’s, and it is…. Not strong and overwhelming, subtle and … wait for it….perfect for me.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:27 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I love Body Shop's white musk, Chanel no. 5 (the light edition one) and Kenzo Poppy. I love the idea of wearing perfume, but I don't do it often enough. I have those 3 bottles for years now and only spray them lightly every now and then in the bedroom to enjoy a faint scent of them. I find wearing them on myself too much to handle for my nose.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I love the company called Penhaligon and the scent The Duchess Rose
Old 06-18-2023, 01:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm allergic to fragrance - all my stuff is fragrance free, I even take my own sheets to hotels because their starch and stuff makes me break out in a rash.
For some reason I can wear the Body Shop stuff though - maybe because I've been using it so long? I'm not sure. I put it on my clothes, not on my skin - my 'signature' fragrance is White Musk.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't. I tolerate some essential oils but anything else is nauseating and gives me strong headaches.

I also know that the term fragrance is not regulated and they can put any and all harmful chemicals in it without raising red flags. I'd rather not mess with my health that way.

Now I always double check the EWG HealthyLiving app before I buy products.

Just to give you an idea I checked that perfume you mentioned in the first post. I know some people don't care about that kind of stuff but if you do it's worth knowing what you put on your skin.
https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product..._Bal_dAfrique/
Old 06-19-2023, 02:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
Just to give you an idea I checked that perfume you mentioned in the first post. I know some people don't care about that kind of stuff but if you do it's worth knowing what you put on your skin.
https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product..._Bal_dAfrique/
Yikes! Good to know, thanks for sharing the site
Old 06-20-2023, 11:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
what box are you getting?
Not sure. I've looked at two so far. Scentbird & Scentbox.

Scentbird is voted the best overall and Scentbox is voted best variety. I think costs are pretty close?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2023, 11:47 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't wear perfume, but I do use body spray. Mine is all from the Body Shop with Shea being my favourite and daily. In the summer I will wear Satsuma (citrusy), and if it's really hot out I will wear the coconut.
Winter is white musk or as stated above shea.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I don't wear perfume, but I do use body spray. Mine is all from the Body Shop with Shea being my favourite and daily. In the summer I will wear Satsuma (citrusy), and if it's really hot out I will wear the coconut.
Winter is white musk or as stated above shea.
funny you should mention that. there is a big body shop sale happening right now. I LOVED satsuma when I was a teenager and was looking at maybe getting it instead of a traditional perfume
Old 06-20-2023, 11:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
funny you should mention that. there is a big body shop sale happening right now. I LOVED satsuma when I was a teenager and was looking at maybe getting it instead of a traditional perfume
It makes me think of summer but is not overpowering. Maybe I need to take a look and order some while it's on sale!!
Old 06-20-2023, 12:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

so far online I just see this one satsuma gift set on sale: https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/gi...-set/p/1027821 but perhaps there are more in stores? I'm just not close to one to check
Old 06-20-2023, 08:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
so far online I just see this one satsuma gift set on sale: https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/gi...-set/p/1027821 but perhaps there are more in stores? I'm just not close to one to check
Get Leo to check in the city? There's one at West Ed still - I just picked some up there. They had a thing actually where if you picked up a small size for the women's shelter you got a great discount on your whole order - I spent less than just my eau de parfum and also donated something to the women's shelter - so that was awesome. I wish there was still one in Red Deer - it closed years ago

Old 06-20-2023, 08:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oooh - I clicked on the link, there's 6% Rakuten cash back too - good deal! lol

Old 06-20-2023, 09:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I loooove perfume, anything that smells like fruit & candy. I have a few I use regularly & change up day to day.
Marc Jacobs Daisy,
Britney Spears Fantasy (that was a gift but I love it)
Ariana Grande Sweet like Candy,
Jimmy Choo Illicit flower,
Coach Floral Blush

I always loved a Jlo one that is no longer available.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Oooh - I clicked on the link, there's 6% Rakuten cash back too - good deal! lol
SOOO i don't totally know what that is lol
Old 06-21-2023, 02:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post

I always loved a Jlo one that is no longer available.
I had a jlo one in my 20s that I really liked too.. It was one of the glow ones but it was in a pink bottle. i think it was "love at first glow"
Old 06-21-2023, 06:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I had a jlo one in my 20s that I really liked too.. It was one of the glow ones but it was in a pink bottle. i think it was "love at first glow"
I think mine was the original glow. It was so nice.

I can never smell perfume on myself after 5 mins so it doesn't overpower me, but a Rhianna one I had would give me intense headaches. I didn't choose it, it was a gift and the opposite of what I like. It was very spicy smelling.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2023, 08:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
SOOO i don't totally know what that is lol
You can sign up on that site and you get cash back when you shop at affiliated websites. They have an extension you can install in your browser so you never miss out on cash back.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
You can sign up on that site and you get cash back when you shop at affiliated websites. They have an extension you can install in your browser so you never miss out on cash back.
What she said lol If you want a referral link PM me (I think we both get something for that?). I've gotten about $125 back in the 2 years I've been doing it - for things I was buying anyways.

Old 06-23-2023, 02:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I can't do strong scents at all and hate it when people wear their perfume or cologne too heavy. Not only do I get a headache, but I also get nauseous. When I was younger and just starting to use scents, my dad told me that perfumes should be light and subtle because their purpose is to draw someone closer, not drive them away. A lot of people need that lesson. LOL

I can't do food scents at all and anything vanilla makes me gag. I don't care much for florals either, but used to wear a Magnolia body spray that was light and pretty. I always got a lot of nice compliments on that one.

Generally, I like a fresh, clean, sunshine scent. Victoria secrets used to make a body spray called sunshine something when I was in college, way back in the 80's, that I really liked too.

As far as perfume goes, I have always like Clinique Happy, but a little goes a long way for me, which is why I am more of a body spray person.

Since my son has been staying with me, I have discovered that he wears a nice scent, but when it first goes on it is strong and lingers in the house more than I would like.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I always loved "Happy" by Clinique but could hardly ever bring myself to buy it because of the cost. I was so happy when Bath and Body Works came out with a spray called "Happy". It is a citrus type of smell. I can't used anything that is heavy floral due to allergies. This applies to candles or perfumes. I love McCalls candle scent "Honey Cornbread"! It smells amazing!