Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default cradle cap on older kids??

You know how babies get a waxy kinda build-up on their scalp? Well both my boys kept getting it even after they were no longer babies. I just cut my youngest sons hair and he has it pretty bad. He showers everyday religiously. He is really clean but aside from putting baby oil on it to soak and then taking a soft bristle brush and brushing it off his scalp I dont know what else to do with it? Any hairdressers on here know what I am talking about? And how to treat it.? He says it hurts when I just try to brush it off with the soft bristles. I dont know if it comes from washing his hair to often, from sweating/dirt & oils mixing on his scalp. It is only on the very top of his scalp not the sides or back. I just need help because it kinda grosses me out

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Have to tried a dandruff shampoo? I think that is what cradle cap essentially is on adults. I could be wrong.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Make sure he is rinsing his hair really good. Adrienne would get it and I found out she was using too much shampoo and not rinsing her head really good.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh I also should add we have well water here with hard water....not sure if it contributes but it will change light blonde hair an orangish tinge. It got a lot better when we had a new well drilled though but we do still have hard water and no filter on it.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
Have to tried a dandruff shampoo? I think that is what cradle cap essentially is on adults. I could be wrong.
As a baby and my son had a touch of cradle cap - dandruff shampoo is what the doctor suggested...
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My 5 year old gets patchs of it, too. I can't imagine not using tear free shampoo on someone his age though.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

my 4 year old gets it as well (i assume it's eczema since she has it everywhere) and we use dandruff shampoo then comb out what we can.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

DH and I both have psoriasis, and unfortunately one of my flare spots is the scalp. Using Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo & conditioner helped a lot with the scaly patches.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My 4 yr old & 6 yr old still get spots from time to time. I asked our Peds Dr. & he said that it's not uncommon. Use the baby oil - massage in & comb out. Selsun blue also works - massage it in & let it sit for awhile, then wash out. BUT I would never use the selsun blue on under 4. To risky for the eyes.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

T-Gel shampoo or dandruff shampoo. Cheyanne gets this from time to time and it clears up and stays away if she shampoos a few times a week with the T-gel. She hates it but she hates the itchy plaques even more, so she does it. It's probably seborrheic dermatitis - which is also cradle cap
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I stopped using shampoo because it aggravated my scalp, but my "rash" stayed there (really flaky and itchy), and the only thing that really helps is washing my hear with apple cider vinegar. I probably use about 1 T per cup of water and scrub my scalp with my fingers. I put it into the squirt bottle they gave me after having babies lol and just squirt it directly onto my scalp. Then I scrub with the balls of my fingertips. I only apply it at most once a week. Other washes I just scrub my scalp with a silicone-free moisturizing conditioner. I've also heard good things about applying coconut oil to the scalp, or even olive oil. I'm a huge advocate of less shampooing too. When he showers, as long as he scrubs his scalp under the water, most dirt comes off. DH stopped using shampoo and his dandruff as really lessened. If I notice flakiness I just remind him to scrub his scalp and it goes right away.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I noticed that my 2yr old has this too - first I thought it was dry skin from a sunburn on her head (she has really fine blonde hair) but its not going away so now I think it is cradle cap again. She had it as a baby too. I am going to try some olive oil - I remembering it helping last time!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest daughter gets this also but only in the winter months. The doctor gave me a topical steroid to clear it up but it did nothing for it. Then I tried WEN Tea Tree Cleansing Conditioner and it cleared it right up. It's a little pricey but soooo worth it. I tried the dandruff shampoo's with her and nothing else worked. Now I order a bottle right before winter sets in and she is good to go. Plus it makes her hair look really healthy and shiny.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter got that a couple of times as a toddler. I used dandruff shampoo. I have issues myself. Mine is party dry scalp and party shampoo build up. I don't shampoo frequently. In fact, I shampoo about every 3 to 4 days (can go longer in the winter) because my hair gets greasy and my scalp gets terrible if I shampoo often. I use Nizoral dandruff shampoo and that helps it immediately. I will shampoo with it about every 2 to 3 times that I shampoo. I've been tempted to go the "no 'poo" route but I haven't been brave enough.