Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-01-2018, 10:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Photos You've Scrapped

So today I decided to go through all my photos and layouts to verify what photos and events I have scrapped and what photos and events I still need to scrap.

I find often, especially for CT work that I go to the same folders/photos and scrap them over and over, and now I've got a backlog that I haven't touched. But need to be scrapped.*

So what do you do to ensure you're scrapping all the photos you need to? I'd love some tips, advice, etc. Thanks*

Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

After I scrap Project life photos, I go through the month and pull the photos I want to scrap into separate folders. I label the photos with a topic and date of photos. Then when a kit comes along for "New Years Eve"... I can quickly find photos I need to scrap by topic... that is what I want to have done... it's what I've done in the past and worked so well - but I'm severely behind this year. :/
Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
After I scrap Project life photos, I go through the month and pull the photos I want to scrap into separate folders. I label the photos with a topic and date of photos. Then when a kit comes along for "New Years Eve"... I can quickly find photos I need to scrap by topic... that is what I want to have done... it's what I've done in the past and worked so well - but I'm severely behind this year. :/
Thank you for sharing your process

Old 01-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My process is very thorough, but can be confusing.
First of all, I have a folder for the year, then I have a folder inside that folder for each month, then I have a folder inside each month for "all" (as in all 3 kids together or 2 of the three), folders of my kids names of pics of just them, folder for pics of the kids with me, folder for pics of the kids with the dogs, and then one of "needs to be scrapped". the Needs to be scrapped folder has 3 folders inside, one for each kid. Every month when I take pics off my camera, I put them into a folder on my computer of the month and year. WHen that month is is finished, I sort the pictures and make copies of them for the needs to be scrapped folder. As I scrap them, I delete them out of that folder, but there are still copies of them in the rest of the other folders for that month. Make sense? haha

Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a To Be Scrapped folder for my photos and a To Be Used folder for my kits. I go through every so often and try to match up one folder from each. I usually end each month by quickly going through that month's photos and making copies of the photos I want to scrap and dragging them into my To Be Scrapped folder.

Otherwise, I go into my To Be Scrapped folder (which has subfolders by year and then subfolders by event/milestone/moment) when I get a new kit and see what I can pull from there.

Anything in my To Be Scrapped folder is a copy so the original isn't touched or accidentally deleted & I delete the folder when my page is done. My To Be Used kits get moved into their designer's folder on my hard drive once I've made a page with them.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have an Excel workbook with tabs for each album/project I'm working on. I enter a description and date of photos or event for each layout I want to do, colour-coded for complete/incomplete.

I find that this works pretty well for me.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 01-02-2018, 02:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Since I lost my ehd in 2015, I found myself using some photos a couple times last year. It was frustrating but I can't do anything. But this year, I'm hoping that I would be able to scrap photos from last year and this coming days/months and less from early last year and 2015, unless I really needed to (for like printing).
Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What program do you use to label your photos?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
Since I lost my ehd in 2015, I found myself using some photos a couple times last year. It was frustrating but I can't do anything. But this year, I'm hoping that I would be able to scrap photos from last year and this coming days/months and less from early last year and 2015, unless I really needed to (for like printing).
Sorry you lost your EHD
I paid a lot of $$$ to have data recovered from one!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurian View Post
I have an Excel workbook with tabs for each album/project I'm working on. I enter a description and date of photos or event for each layout I want to do, colour-coded for complete/incomplete.

I find that this works pretty well for me.
I started writing it down in a notebook. That was too time consuming!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One of my photo back ups is Smugmug. When I complete a LO, I upload a copy into the photo gallery (as well as a Scrap Gallery- ie 2017 Digital Layouts). When I go searching for photos (I usually have a Kit before I know what photos I am going to use) I check to see if there is a LO in that photo gallery and try not to use those same photos. This does nothing for letting me know which photos I haven't scrapped without a lot of searching. Searching for photos is probably what takes up most of my time when creating a LO.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
What program do you use to label your photos?
I don’t label my photos... every thing is divided into folders. Totally old school. Haha

In my working folder, looks like this with a bunch of folders
BIKE_2012-6-23_new bike_6photos
SWIM_2016-9-10_first day of lessons_1photo
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband made a automated task on the Mac that would copy the file name of my layouts and put them in a spreadsheet... then we got a new server and he hasn’t found time to update the program... that was awesome!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I don’t label my photos... every thing is divided into folders. Totally old school. Haha

In my working folder, looks like this with a bunch of folders
BIKE_2012-6-23_new bike_6photos
SWIM_2016-9-10_first day of lessons_1photo
Got it! So then you use the Search box?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes... they are all in one folder... original photos are on the server... and I can just sort the folder by name. It’s my goal to keep up on this... so much easier to find photos for new releases.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
My process is very thorough, but can be confusing.
First of all, I have a folder for the year, then I have a folder inside that folder for each month, then I have a folder inside each month for "all" (as in all 3 kids together or 2 of the three), folders of my kids names of pics of just them, folder for pics of the kids with me, folder for pics of the kids with the dogs, and then one of "needs to be scrapped". the Needs to be scrapped folder has 3 folders inside, one for each kid. Every month when I take pics off my camera, I put them into a folder on my computer of the month and year. WHen that month is is finished, I sort the pictures and make copies of them for the needs to be scrapped folder. As I scrap them, I delete them out of that folder, but there are still copies of them in the rest of the other folders for that month. Make sense? haha
You weren't lying that is totally confusing for me. I get it, but that's a lot of folders. LOL

Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the tips. I've divided my photos into folders for now. We'll see how it goes. LOL

Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know I've scrapped a few repeating photos, but for the most part, I don't know how I haven't scrapped more duplicated photos!! Wish I could tell you how I organize, but outside of my photo organization, I don't really have a way to know if I scrapped that photo for a layout already outside of my memory.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also recently did this. . .with an old fashioned notebook. I have each month in each year with a list of things I want to scrap from that month. I check it off when I make a layout. Now, after each month is over and my photos are in the folder, I look through and write down everything I might want to scrap. I just flip though the book until something catches my eye when I feel like scrapping.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies. Sounds like a learning process for many of us

Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've tried many many many different ways of doing this, and finally found a way that works for me. Once a month I go through the previous month's photos and delete the extras (the 42 I took to get one where the kids are smiling, I only keep the 1) and tag them, using Mac Photos. I tag the people in it, event (Birthday, Christmas, etc) or activity (camping, bike, cake, etc) and if I want to scrap it I tag it 'to be scrapped'. Then when I'm scrapping I search that tag and anything else - to be scrapped, Christmas - for example. When I've scrapped it I just remove the 'to be scrapped' tag. I found I had photos in too many places, and this works for me. It takes less than 30 minutes each month to keep it organized, I usually do it one day when I'm watching TV.

I also keep my photos in folders by month, and I copy the web size layout to the folder it pertains to, so I can see not only the photos but the layout in the same spot. I also have the web size in folders by year, and I title them 2017-06 Title (for layouts in June for example) so that they appear chronological in that folder.

For kits/templates I used to have a 'to use' folder but I could never find anything, so now I sort by theme instead of by designer (I keep kits together) and when I've used something I add "z- " to the beginning of the name, so it moves it down to the bottom of the folder. Simple, but then I know I've used it and it doesn't pop up first in my folder for me to pick when I'm shopping my stash. I used to tag the previews but that took forever and I'd rather spend my time scrapping.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I've tried many many many different ways of doing this, and finally found a way that works for me. Once a month I go through the previous month's photos and delete the extras (the 42 I took to get one where the kids are smiling, I only keep the 1) and tag them, using Mac Photos. I tag the people in it, event (Birthday, Christmas, etc) or activity (camping, bike, cake, etc) and if I want to scrap it I tag it 'to be scrapped'. Then when I'm scrapping I search that tag and anything else - to be scrapped, Christmas - for example. When I've scrapped it I just remove the 'to be scrapped' tag. I found I had photos in too many places, and this works for me. It takes less than 30 minutes each month to keep it organized, I usually do it one day when I'm watching TV.

I also keep my photos in folders by month, and I copy the web size layout to the folder it pertains to, so I can see not only the photos but the layout in the same spot. I also have the web size in folders by year, and I title them 2017-06 Title (for layouts in June for example) so that they appear chronological in that folder.

For kits/templates I used to have a 'to use' folder but I could never find anything, so now I sort by theme instead of by designer (I keep kits together) and when I've used something I add "z- " to the beginning of the name, so it moves it down to the bottom of the folder. Simple, but then I know I've used it and it doesn't pop up first in my folder for me to pick when I'm shopping my stash. I used to tag the previews but that took forever and I'd rather spend my time scrapping.

Hmm I think I like your tagging way...because right now I've got a ton of photos. I might try that. Thanks for your input

Old 01-02-2018, 09:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I need to find a method too. I have tried putting them in a folder saying photos scrapped, but I'd like to see if I can do a tagging method.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't set any pressure on myself to scrap with any particular photos. I almost always remember what photos have already been scrapped without any sort of organization or tag, but I don't scraps as much as most of you do!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I struggle with this and I have changed my mind way too many times on how I want things organized. My pictures are currently strew about 3 hard drives and several thumb drives. I am working to pull them off thumb drives as I type. I had stuff that had uploaded at work (via my Eye-Fi card) and I put it on a drive to transfer it over and then left it on the drive.

The problem I have is that I basically want to scrap every single photo.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 20+ years of albums are in various states of completion with a mish-mash of different types of layouts. What I started doing a few months ago is to go through the albums and make a list (by year and month) of the pages I have in the albums. Then, I go through my photos and add layouts I want to make to the list. That way, when I want to scrap and I'm not feeling inspired to do anything in particular, I can go to the list and easily find something to scrap. It's a pretty simple system, but working well for me.

I was just dating my layout with the date of the photos in the layout, but I have a bunch of paper pages, too, and I found that I made a lot of duplicate layouts that way.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use ACDsee to tag all of mine. I a SugarBabe Sunday blog post about how i tag mine exactly. With a lot more info and screen shots.
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...be-sunday-712/

I do year folders, then months, each photo is labeled with the date and then I just tagged them in Acdsee how I want to scrap them.

This is just an example of how I tag, but this way, I don't have to move photos, delete, etc.

Even last year, I was horrible at scrapping, less than 20 pages, but everything is already tagged and organized so when I do get ready to scrap, I'm not searching for everything.

Last edited by nesser1981; 01-07-2018 at 06:07 PM.