Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-07-2021, 05:54 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Layout must haves and have nots

Is there a particular element that you always try to put on your layout if a kit contains it or something that you never use? I know a lot of you like to use flowers and foliage. Do you like to use staples or stitches? Journal cards? I always try to have a doily on my layouts. I don't know why but I like them. If I am not making a CT layout I try to pull one from a kit and use it on my page. I just like how they look layered under a photo.

I never ever use those double bows that are in kits a lot of the time. To be honest I can never get them to look right on my pages. If one is in a kit, but there is no bow, I will Frankenstein that double bow and erase one of the bows and ribbon between them and just use the single bow.

So tell me about your favorite elements/least favorite elements.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I cant think of anything I particularly avoid ... oh, well, I never use photo corners lol

Im one of those flowery and greenery people. I just love flowers. Also, there are not usually enough unique elements for cluster lovers to not use any of the flowers to fill it up.

ETA: I generally hate striped papers actually lol
Old 09-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I’ve been mixing different types of foliage and putting unique elements into my clusters in addition to my much loved florals. Those are my favorite things. And I love, love, love word strips! I like stitching and will occasionally use a staple if there’s one handy, but I prefer buttons. I love patterns and mixing them, but also love solids.

I’m not drawn to certain elements like tags, ricrak, metal pieces, but I will use them occasionally. I can’t think of anything I don’t like or avoid. I love it all, really. I’m a color person, so if I like the colors, I’ll enjoy using whatever is in the kit.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post

HAHAHAHAHA - my first thought when I read the paper is STRIPED PAPERS! If it's in a kit, I *will* use it!

I'm really bad at buttons ... they always look awkward to me

Old 09-07-2021, 07:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Butterflies are an important symbol for me, and they go on most of my layouts regardless of theme. I always have mixed media on my backgrounds. The only fasteners I tend to use are stitching & staples.

I can never get ribbons or strings or bows to look natural on my pages so I rarely use them.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always have flowers/greenery even on my boy layouts. I also love word bits/word art.
Other than that I just what the kit has...I think it differs with each layout though.

Not sure if there is anything I avoid...buttons maybe but love to use flair and bottlecaps.. I try to use as much as possible
Old 09-07-2021, 08:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love paints, splatters, scatters. string and thread and pretty much every page I make has those.

So many kits have ricrac and I don't think I have ever found a way to use it so that it looks good on my pages!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I use as much as I can LOL!!! I am a pile IT on thick with ALL the elements kinda girl!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love to cluster so there aren't many things I don't use.

Mostly fasteners like clips, brads, photo corners. I'll use the ocassional stitches or buttons though.

Most of my layouts have to have a scatter or a butterfly. Besides the flowers and foliage for clustering.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

GIVE ME ALL THE PAINT! ALL OF IT!

Old 09-07-2021, 11:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love stars, stitching, paint, striped or diagonal striped papers, papers with small scale patterns, solids, foliage, string, ribbon, and woods or metals. On some pages I love flowers and use a lot of them, and on other pages I use very few flowers and struggle to find alternatives. I also use a lot of actions to turn text or flat elements into wood, puffy stickers, enamel pins, and so on.

Things I hardly ever use? Alphabets, journal cards, and boldly patterned papers.

Last edited by rach3975; 09-07-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My list of must-haves is pretty long...ribbon, flowers/greenery, butterflies, tags, paint, overlays, buttons, journal cards, sequins/sprinkles, stamps...I could go on and on LOL.

But...my list of must not have (generally but not always) includes swirls and bows.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a sucker for paint, if there are paint splotches in a kit I always attempt to make them work on my layouts. Twine and Buttons are probably my most used elements. I love cards, but they don't always work for me.

I have never been a fan of life like elements.... so real or realistic flowers (not made of 'paper'), creatures (again, real, or fake... so I guess anything that's not a cartoon/sticker style), stationary, etc... I don't know why.... it's probably my poor shadowing skills.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to absolutely love frames and staples. I hardly use them now. I can do without flairs unless there aren't enough flowers in a kit for me to make good clusters. Also, it's rare that I use arrows.

I'm another flower and foliage fan, so kits with lots of those catch my eye. I don't really have any other "must haves."
Old 09-08-2021, 09:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

for me it would be stitches (if they are in the kit) and paint....i usually also sneak in a button or two and all the rest like flowers, leaves, scatterz, butterflies....who am i kidding, i pretty much use everything that comes in a kit
Old 09-08-2021, 09:52 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Solid papers as a background... always.
On top of the solid papers, patterned paper and always a plaid. Sucker for plaid papers. Actually lots of papers. I mat photos with paper 9 times out of 10. I even use papers when making titles with fonts.
Usually end up with flowers/leaves. Trying to use more of the themed elements if the layout works for them.

Not on my layouts very often... washi tape, paint, doodles and scatters. If a template I'm using has washi tape, I just delete the layer. Dislike it immensely. Not fond of doodles either. I will use scatters maybe once in every 25 layouts. Same with paint. I just don't like the way they look when I use them.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love flowers and foliage... especially if there's more than one kind of foliage. I like layering them up. Paint, scatters, curly string or bows, plaid & wood papers, small-scale patterned papers, butterflies....

I rarely use doodles (can never get them to look right) and straight ribbon/ricrac. I also have a harder time with big, bold patterns. I almost never use "characters" in my scrapping either.

Last edited by Ponytails; 09-08-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Flowers and foliage on most/all layouts! ( I scrap for hire and the last lady had 2 boys and didn't want any/many flowers. That was a challenge!)

I like to use string more than curly ribbon. Buttons I use for flower centers if they need one. I like to use word strips and/or word art (i stink at making titles).

I usually try to add at least 1 unique or themed element to my page. Sometimes it's more than 1, but at least 1 (even if it's just a butterfly or camera element).
Old 09-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I typically always use flowers and greenery, ribbons, and bows if they are included in a kit. I really like foliage with berries or just interesting branches to make the cluster more interesting. I like to use washi tape on my project life style layouts. I'm also a big fan of banners, buttons and tags. I also use lots of journal cards in my project life style layouts. I'm also a big fan of word art, but will use alphas if I need to. I like the stitching included in templates but never use the stitching included in kits. I like a variety of papers, but typically always use at least one solid and one patterned paper. I typically don't use the papers that have one big scene on it, and gravitate to stripes, plaid, polka dots, or floral.

I use frames some, but usually only rectangular or circular ones. I very rarely use staples, binder clips, or paper clips. I also don't use the ribbons with 2 bows either, or if I do, I will erase one of the bows. I have no idea what to do with bottle caps even though I think they are cute. I don't ever use doodles because I don't know how to make them fit in my layouts.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love using flowers and lots of foliage and am always thrilled when several types of foliage come with a kit. I love themed elements and always try to incorporate as many as I can in a layout. Butterflies, dragonflies, bees too are a go to. Love paint and splatters, I find they look great under clusters and photos and I make my own if I don't find them in a kit. Word strips and title type words are also great and I use them often. Oh, and I like lace, doilies and ribbons. I'm not a huge fan of fat frames, I find they look awkward on my page and I'm not a huge fan of staples.

Oh and I love wispy type of sprigs, like berries and gypsophila or wheat or branches to add to clusters.

Last edited by Lidia G; 09-08-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really dislike extracted flowers. I don't know how to shadow them.

I rarely use stitches and I don't know how to make buttons look good besides in the center of a flower.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
oops!! I'm a sucker for stripe especially diagonal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselwatchr View Post
So tell me about your favorite elements/least favorite elements.
Favorite - outside of flowers, I usually try to use string or curly ribbons. I just feel they add depth to the page.

Least Favorite - I try to use them, but I just don't succeed with flair. A lot of them have wording/writing on them and I want that to show. So I struggle getting it to show in my clusters and what not. And it isn't like I hate them or anything, I just struggle making them not look forced.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love flowers and foliage - really love at least 3 different types of foliage so I can layer them. I struggle using flowers in my clusters that look visually thick (like a rolled paper flower) because the layered shadows always look wrong to me.

I never use frames that are cut out of paper from the kit and rarely use really thick frames. I'd rather mat a photo or use a thinner/skinnier frame.

I do use staples, occasionally washi. I struggle with using buttons in a layout - primarily use basic ones for flower centers. I can never get binder clips to look quite right because the shadow always looks off to me so I don't typically use them.

I really love small print papers (polka dots, plaids, small florals, thinner stripes) because I love to paper piece on my layouts - can't do that well with big prints even when I shrink them. I like wood papers but I prefer that they not be the solids for the kit. I would rather have a small selection of wood colors and all the solids in the kit color palette (again because of piecing). I feel weird about paper piecing with wood papers (not sure why because many of you ladies make it look fabulous) - I only use them for backgrounds.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a sucker for paint. The more the better.

I dislike flat ribbons, especially those that are long 11-12 in. I never know what to do with them. If they are not half hidden on one edge, I feel they cut the page in two.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

scatter... man, if a kit has it, it will go on my page. I love paint splatters too - probably because it's like scatter, haha. Love buttons...

my least... hmm... feathers, butterflies, keys, photo turner, circle alphas or alphas with a pattern - always seems to complete with the papers I choose and gets lost.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love paint/messy edges. I LOVE a tight, little plaid paper. Or a bunch of them! I like flairs, word strips, journal cards, staples and brads. I'm the odd duck that just doesn't get into flowers. I use them but if I was paper scrapping? Nope, never. I don't like them on my boy pages at all but they make it on there because I need something in those clusters. I just try to use as few as possible and find something else to stick on there. I prefer stars, gears, arrows, scatters. The one things I rarely use are alphas. I like the idea of them but they never seem to be in the right color or style for MY project. They go great with the kit, but I have a hard time making them work for the particular page I'm doing. I also rarely use thick, decorative frames. I like them IRL, but they don't look right to me on a page.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a "kitchen sink" scrapper so I love ALL .THE. THINGS... but specifically would be a diagonal striped paper (that I can easily turn into a plaid! ) as well as a good wood background. I also LOVE flowers & flair & word arts and... and... lmao!
Old 09-09-2021, 08:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

me deleting all the tags, buttons, diagonal stripped papers, journal cards, bows, ricrac, butterflies from my kits...

Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

But, srsly now... I can't use flowers/foliages. I wish I could make those super gorgeous clusters you all do, but I can't. I never know where to put it, what to put on it... So, I usually hide a flower or something behind a photo or element and call it done. LOL

I loooooooooooooove tags. And paints (duh!). And labels. I think I could use them always - I probably do. lol Love stitches.

Another thing I wish I could do is use lots of patterns together, strips, circles, layering... But I usually use just one paper/page. It is sad since they are my favorite part of any kit.

And, girls, open your minds to ricrac! They are SO fun! Maybe I am too old, but I will never get tired of ricracs and acrylic alphas. I think we should get them back on trend. LOL
Old 09-09-2021, 09:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Messy threads, greenery, twine/string/loopy ribbon. I feel lost without them!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
me deleting all the tags, buttons, diagonal stripped papers, journal cards, bows, ricrac, butterflies from my kits...

Old 09-09-2021, 01:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Um.....

We need your butterflies and tags and journal cards please and thank you

Old 09-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
But, srsly now... I can't use flowers/foliages. I wish I could make those super gorgeous clusters you all do, but I can't. I never know where to put it, what to put on it... So, I usually hide a flower or something behind a photo or element and call it done. LOL

I loooooooooooooove tags. And paints (duh!). And labels. I think I could use them always - I probably do. lol Love stitches.

Another thing I wish I could do is use lots of patterns together, strips, circles, layering... But I usually use just one paper/page. It is sad since they are my favorite part of any kit.

And, girls, open your minds to ricrac! They are SO fun! Maybe I am too old, but I will never get tired of ricracs and acrylic alphas. I think we should get them back on trend. LOL
Ru, I agree ricrac is soooo much fun to use (but then again, I never met a ribbon I didn't like LOL). It's ok that you don't use much greenery/flowers...you fill up your pages with eclectic messes of everything else. I always love your pages. Of course, me too....love all the paints!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love splatters and scatters. Love flowers and foliage. Love a nice ric rac, ribbon, and bow. Love tags and fasteners. My initial style was like my paper days, so I always looked for ways to adhere things to the page - buttons, clips, realistic stitching etc. I think that is why I won't use a button that has holes if it does not have thread or twine... what is the point? Sometimes I will add the stitches though if I'm desperate lol. I really appreciate when kits have enough floral etc to diversify the clustering and not just repeat the same 5 flowers.

I can do without flairs and bottle caps - unless there aren't enough flowers/other elements in a kit for me to make good clusters. I also don't typically use butterflies or real fresh flowers unless I don't have enough other things. I most often scrap with one kit at a time - just liking the cohesiveness and avoiding having to go find other things, so sometimes I make it work LOL

Old 09-11-2021, 07:51 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Reading everyone's responses I have to add that I do not really use frames on my photos, maybe just a white stroke around my photo.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:52 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Girl!!!! You better not!!!!
Old 09-11-2021, 09:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Nooooo! (Sorry, not cool enough to go find a gif for it!) I love diagonal striped papers (seriously, my most used patterns!), ric rac, and bows. And even though I listed journal cards as something I never use on layouts, I do shrink them down and print them as planner stickers.

Quote:

You are amazing at scrapping with all the flat and messy elements, and your pages are gorgeous as they are! I think they'd end up too busy with huge floral clusters, so maybe that's why you can't make them work. As for ric rac, yes please! I love all the flat ribbons, including ric rac. (Maybe I'm just old, too? Then again, wisdom comes with age...)
Old 09-11-2021, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I purposely made myself use ricrac on my last page and I'm very happy with it! Thanks for the 'challenge'!
Old 09-11-2021, 11:12 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I purposely made myself use ricrac on my last page and I'm very happy with it! Thanks for the 'challenge'!
Good job! Maybe we should all try to make a page with our have nots.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My list of haves:
  • Flowers - at least 5 uniquely different flowers, preferably not CU
  • Foliage - at least two types
  • Frames
  • Paint - I prefer multi-colored that cover a decent amount of space
  • Date tags
  • Scatters
  • Buttons
  • Butterflies (not essential, but I like them)
  • Word strips
  • Fasteners - staples, small stitches, etc
  • Word art - especially pre-made titles
  • Alphas
  • Paper bits
  • Bows - at least 2
  • Papers - the most popular background papers are those that are somewhere between full pattern and solid. For solids, I think there should always be a white option and a dark option (doesn't have to be black)

My list of have nots:
  • Doodles/theme elements - I feel awful saying this because I always think they are super duper cute in kit previews, but I have such a difficult time using them