Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Tell me about Root Canals!!

If you've had one please share, I think I had asked before a long time ago and sadly I never had it done.

My nerve is bad now and not sure they will be able to save it so it may have to come out we'll see.

Tell me how did you do and how long did it take? pretty please I know we probably all hate the dentist but I need to suck it up now ..

Mary

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well..it's not the most fun thing in the world..but if you have a good dentist it's not terribly bad..the worst part for me was holding my mouth open so long. If you can get nitrous oxide I recommend that definitely...it just helps you relax and makes it much more tolerable. I'd say in all it took a couple of hours including the casting and stuff for my crown.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i had a hard time with it. the worst part for me was they put this thing in your mouth to hold it open. i have a small mouth so it dug into my cheeks - i was sore for a long time after. also, i had crown sensitivity that lasted a year. the whole thing took maybe 3 hours for me with a temporary crown - then i had to go back and get a permanent one.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

Like Nikki said, the worst is keeping your mouth open for a long time! Mine took 2 hours for just the first session and I had to come back for a second and 3rd for the completion - imagine that. I was injected with anesthesia though so I didn't feel any pain.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I forgot they didn't do it all in one day either..in all it was 3 visits I think if I remember right.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
i had a hard time with it. the worst part for me was they put this thing in your mouth to hold it open. i have a small mouth so it dug into my cheeks - i was sore for a long time after. also, i had crown sensitivity that lasted a year. the whole thing took maybe 3 hours for me with a temporary crown - then i had to go back and get a permanent one.
^^^This was my experience. I didn't have any actual tooth pain, the dentist was really great about that-but the vise like thing they held my mouth open made my jaw ache. And yes, it took me 3 visits...the first 2 were 3 hours each and the final crown took like 20 minutes. I had it done about 3 weeks ago, So glad it's over!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I've had 3 root canals. None required a crown but were just given the standard filling repair.

I have been known to have hysterics in the dentists chair because of a really horrible root canal experience with a really horrible dentist. The other two were by great ones and were after the horrible ones. They numb you up really well (which horrible dentist failed to do), then they drill down into the nerve area & take out the dead nerve using all these little files which are sort of creepy sounding in your head but not painful, then they put some stuff in the root, put a temp cover over it and you go away for a week & then come back, get numbed again, the temp is removed, the stuff that was put in the tooth is taken out, a post is put in and then a permanent filling or is put on. It's not a pleasant experience, mostly because you have to keep your mouth open forever but if you are sufficiently numbed it isn't that bad either.

Each of mine took about an hour, maybe a little bit more, for the first visit & about the same or a little less for the second. It's longer with a crown because of all the fitting & refitting & impressions they need to make the temp & permanent crown. My dentist said needing a crown depends on how much tooth enamel you have for them to work with. I had plenty each time fortunately so they were able to give me a regular filling on the tooth.

I have a crown because I broke a tooth. It took much longer than the root canals did.

Last edited by Stacey42; 04-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never had a root canal but I do have 4 crowns. I've always had a good amount of pain afterward (not severe pain, just the fact that I had it for a good length of time). My last crown was done a month ago and I still have days where I'm sore. Ibuprofen works almost immediately to take away the pain though so its not a big deal. The work itself wasn't too bad once I was numb, but I did have jaw pain from having to have my mouth open so wide for so long.

A few years back I had two crowns done at once, one upper, one lower, both molars on the same side. I had a horrible time for 8 months. My gums on the lower would swell up and I had so much pain I was really regretting having the crown. One day it was almost unbearable so I stuck my finger in my mouth and started rubbing my gums really hard. I felt something funny so I went to the bathroom, got a pair of tweezers and looked in the mirror while I pulled a big chunk of stuff out of my gums. It looked to me like a piece of tooth but I've since been told by the dentist and hygienist that it was probably a piece of cement. I had been back several times to the dentist to have the teeth examined and try to figure out the source of the pain when all along it was this foreign object lodged in my gums. Now that its gone all is good though.

My crowns were all done in one appointment. They fabricate the crown in office. It makes it much easier, I think. They schedule a 2 hour block for the appointment and it usually doesn't take that long.

I am going in for a cleaning in 20 minutes. My daughter is going this afternoon to get her orthodontic device installed. I need to schedule at least one filling, maybe more depending on what they find during my cleaning and I need to schedule an appointment to get a brux guard because I grind my teeth at night.

Good luck! I wish you all the best!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had one about 4 years ago. I was very nervous because I'd heard a lot of horror stories, but it wasn't really that bad. The worst part was having to go back so many times and working out child care for each visit. I didn't have much pain during or between visits, and once they were done with the root canal and crown there were no after effects. I can't remember whether I had to take an over the counter pain reliever between visits, but if I did the pain was mild enough that Advil relieved it completely.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to have one when I was 12, I broke a tooth in half and had to have a porcelain cap put on. My dentist said I'd probably need a root canal in a year's time, exactly a year later I had one!
It wasn't that bad for me, the worst part was having the guard thing in my mouth and having a dry mouth from the suction. It took maybe an hour, but I don't remember exactly because it was so long ago. i have a very high pain tolerance though, so I might not be the best person to ask. The needle hurt and there was a zing of pain at one point when he was cleaning the inside of my tooth out (and I could feel the cold water he used to flush my tooth out). But all in all it wasn't too bad.. Good luck!

MIne they did in one day (I just noticed other ladies mentioned it took a few visits)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had one last month.......Technology has come so far in just a few years!! You will be in and out in 30-40 minutes. ONE VISIT ONLY.
I had to go back to my regular dentist a few weeks later to have the crown made - but that was easy!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

depending on the tooth is what'll make the time shorter/longer. front teeth & premolars only take about 30-45 minutes but the molars can take longer. if there's alot of infection around the roots of the tooth then it can be hard to get sufficiently numb. ask if they'll give you antibiotics for a week or so before you do the root canal. having worked in a dental office, the patients who were already on antibiotics had a better experience.

crown the tooth. the tooth is dead since the nerve's been taken out. that makes the tooth weak and can chip/break. in some cases, it'll break in a way where you'd have to have it taken out. a crown helps!

anyways, it's not a super pleasant experience but it can be ok. keeping your mouth open that long can be the hardest but taking some ibuprofen after (or even before) can help that. i agree with Nikki about nitrous oxide (laughing gas)! love that stuff. if you're really scared/anxious, you could always ask about valium? you'd need someone to drive you there and back but it really helps with dentist anxiety.

good luck! i know i'm going to need one soon & i'm not looking forward to it.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the most amazing dentist. My root canal took 8 visits over the course of 2 months with no crown. The reason for 8 visits is because I didn't get any antibiotics for the infection, just the stuffing then a temp filling the first 7 trips, then the posts put in and a permanent filling. All of this was done without anesthetic, gas or funky contraptions stuck in my mouth to hold it open and each visit only took about half an hour except for the last one which was about an hour. the nly time he ever hurt me was when he put the posts in, he stuck one in a bit too far. The least painful thing of the whole ordeal, a 250 Euro dental bill without having dental insurance.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I was in such horrible pain when I had mine down all I thought was, oh, thank goodness, relief! It stopped the pain instantly. Then when I got the bill, a whole new set of pain.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nikki jaaa I so agree nothing about the dentist is fun for me

Celeste I wonder if it's like the thing they stick in your mouth when they are going to take the xay, hmmm

Stacey haaa you are brave 3, I waited almost 2 years to go for this one, I know shame on me.. LOL

I went in today and OMG I'm glad I didn't read this before, lol I say that b/c they had to take the photos of my teeth and get approval for the root canal.

Kjerst and BJ you are giving me hope, lol. The place I went to today is digital everything so I am so so hoping when I go back that it will go like 45 mins and they did give me amoxicillin for the infection... I am just dreading the whole going back 3x omg I am so going to ask about that and I'm also going to ask about Valium. I am such a chicken when it comes to the dentist I just hate the fact of someone poking around my mouth!

gahhh anxiety my chest Nika I'd be terrified to go back :?

Mari I'm not experiencing any pain per say it's just that my nerve has started to act up on the right side of my face all the way up to my forehead and I know that it wasn't good so it made me run to the dentist!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

I have had one and I was so scared they gave me Valium. I didn't feel a thing and don't remember it. Just make sure you have someone to drive you to and from. Oh and it was one visit for the root canal and one more visit to have the permanent crown put on.

I hope you have a good experience. I hate going to the dentist and any major work causes me severe anxiety...

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ugh...i have lots of things to be done to my teeth. i went in 6 months ago to have a wisdom tooth looked at. then they said i have another molar that needs a filling or else it'll bet worse and need a root canal. AND they said i have to have root planing.......i was shocked; i just had a bad wisdom tooth i thought. didnt realize my teeth were getting that bad. i used to never have teeth problems when i was younger. seems after i had my kids is when they started bothering me. i haven't gone to have it done because i'm scared. i had one wisdom tooth pulled years ago, and i didnt feel any pain because i had a shot, but i could feel them tugging and pulling on my jaw. so i keep putting it off. but i need to go. just very nervous lol.