Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn
Default Protesters Outside My Donut Store This Morning

W.T.F.

My favorite donut store in the whole wide world is Psycho Donuts. Most of you guys that have gotten to know me this past year know how cute this is, since I'm a horror movie fanatic. This place is so cute. The girls that work there wear nurses' costumes, they have FABULOUS donuts, they have an "electric chair" to pose in, they have photos of movies with donuts added to them (like in Scarface when he has coke all over his nose, they digitally added a powdered donut into his hand, where Bella is posed holding an apple to Edward in some Twilight poster, they replaced it with a donut...) it's just got random decorations, and yes, they sell straight jackets for the big fans. It's just a cute, funny, tongue in cheek, where is your sense of humor type place. They roll my toddler son's donut in glaze and fruit loops... I love these people. They make DONUT FRIES... need I say more?

There was a big protest out there today that Psycho donuts teaches stigma toward mental illness. Do these people protest Hannibal Lector movies? Do they protest 50 First Dates because it teaches you that short term memory loss is hilarious?

WHAT IS THEIR PROBLEM? They tried to confront me as we were coming out of the donut shoppe, while I'm holding my 10-MONTH-OLD. This really made me mad, I told her to get the EFF outta my face.

Some people.

I just HAD to come rant.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow! That is ridiculous!! I can't believe some people!
Hopefully you can enjoy your psycho donuts in peace next time lol
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

okay. to me - there are other more pressing issues to protest. really.
it's a pretty cool looking place, though!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I was going to say the same thing stephie... gmafb.. go protest something that actually matters instead of wasting time on something absolutely ridiculous. yeh s ure.. mental illness is no joke-- but it's a freakin themed donut shoppe for cripes sake.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Wow. Some people don't have anything better to do than protest things that are nonsensical.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OMGosh! Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Well that place really offends me and I think it SHOULD be protested!

Teehee!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Their usual line out the door wasn't really affected, so they aren't even deterring anyone!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

People with no sense of humour make me mental!! Uh oh, was that wrong?

Yes, mental illness is no joke, but you know which people seem able to cope with it best? The ones with the sense of humour. Get a frickin' grip, people!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

stupid people...heck I can think of five comedians off the top of my head who are wayyyy more offensive then a place like that but they do not get protests over what they say LOL

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

Tho trying to approach you and your baby might've been over the top, I want to say this. In the microcosm that is the mentally ill community, there IS a sensitivity to such things among some. It's valid, at least to them. I, at one time, might have taken offense at just the name, but that was a long time ago. I wouldn't have protested it, but would have found it a little offensive.
There still is a stigma out there although not nearly as aweful as it was just maybe even just five years or so ago. If you do happen to have a MI, it still carries with it the chance that you (the collective you, not any of you personally) could color your perception of them if you yourself said you were diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression or bipolar disorder (manic-depression). Face it, on television or in the movies, do you ever see anyone with those diagnoses portrayed as useful citizens? It's that sort of thing to which some with mental illness take umbrage.
Here in this and other communities there is what seems to me open acceptance of who we are, irregardless. But in many places and families, it isn't the case.
I'm not scolding by any means. It does seem silly I'm sure. But to those outside that store, their feelings are valid. I know from whence I speak as I have bipolar disorder. A few years back I wouldn't have said a word because of the stigma attached to it, but times have changed for the better in many, many places thanks to better education.
I'm not happy with them approaching Bryn and her baby. At all. And that store sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. I just hope that I have given at least a little more understanding.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
I was going to say the same thing stephie... gmafb.. go protest something that actually matters instead of wasting time on something absolutely ridiculous. yeh s ure.. mental illness is no joke-- but it's a freakin themed donut shoppe for cripes sake.
Yep! And they ought to have at least left the customers alone......trying to "comfort" Brynn means they were too close I would think. I thought that was protest etiquette. Stay the heck outta the way, across the street or something People take offense to everything these days. It's like the boycotts of Wal mart because they sell x product or x product is made in China (for example).....are you also going to protest Target and stop buying all the stuff? Sometimes it just doesn't make much sense to me.

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 05-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Scold away, Brooke...
I come from a long line of mental illness... myself included, what they're saying is my son can't enjoy a Cereal Killer donut? That's RETARDED. (Omg! I shouldn't say that word!)

What about places like Halloween Haunt (which is similar to the theme the donut shoppe is going for)? They're just being ridiculous extremists with nothing better to do than to harass for people for trying to be tastelessly funny, in a yummy way. I should be able to enjoy my right to tasteless, non-pc humor. Our world is WAY too uptight as it is.

People need to relax.

(and you're right, la) Some of them were standing right outside the front door, so I had to go around them in order to get out and she tried to hand me a flyer and tell me that I'm doing a disservice to my children! OMG!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's ridiculous! Ask anyone who sufferes from mental illness and they'll tell you, they aren't called "psycho"... I'm all for being PC and not hurting feelings but that's dumb. Besides, when you say "Psycho" who doesn't think horror- Norman bates- stuff?

Sounds cool to me! Send me a t-shirt! LOL!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I saw this on Headline News this morning! Good god people, can't they find something else to go b#*ch about? I think the place sounds totally cool and would absolutely LOVE to have one here (but let's face it, East TX is not opening one any time soon!). But I would soooo be there with my entire family every single day! I don't see how they could say that it is offending to people with mental illness. I don't see any protest lines outside of Hollywood Theaters EVERY year when a new Halloween movie comes out. This place sounds like it's alot of fun and really cool. 'Nuff said!

And I'd love a t-shirt from there too!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just bummed that I didn't know about this donut shop when I was just up there! I'll definitely be stopping by on my next trip.

to the protesters: GET A LIFE!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a self-professed "crazy" and I've always been very open about it. I have struggled with depression and an anxiety disorder for over a decade now and I have always thought that being "on the crazy train" (as my family puts it) is easier to deal with when you have a sense of humor about it. With that said...

Here's the bottom line:

Every activist group out there has a valid idea behind their actions and protests. When I think most of us are frustrated is the people that take theirs views to the extreme.

Prime example: I have nothing against animal activists. I think they have a wonderful cause and I think its great that they stand up for what they believe. But there is a *small* group of animal activists that can't differentiate between squishing a nasty cocroach and beating a puppy to death.

THATS the kind of extreme activism that is a bunch of nonsense.

Its a DONUT SHOP for God's sake! Shesh!!

/rant

creating for

Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
Here's the bottom line:

Every activist group out there has a valid idea behind their actions and protests. When I think most of us are frustrated is the people that take theirs views to the extreme.

Prime example: I have nothing against animal activists. I think they have a wonderful cause and I think its great that they stand up for what they believe. But there is a *small* group of animal activists that can't differentiate between squishing a nasty cocroach and beating a puppy to death.

THATS the kind of extreme activism that is a bunch of nonsense.

Its a DONUT SHOP for God's sake! Shesh!!

/rant
I hear ya, truly I do,lol. And I hope that my post didn't indicate anything otherwise.
I'd go to that place in a heartbeat,lol.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

OMG, Brynn...that place looks HYSTERICAL!

And I just realized you live in my old stomping grounds. Is it where the old Tower Records used to be?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i'm so frackin hungry. if i don't get a donut in 3.2 seconds i'm gonna go psycho.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyfizzy View Post
i'm so frackin hungry. if i don't get a donut in 3.2 seconds i'm gonna go psycho.
*coughsnort*

creating for