Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How to save/print to get true size?

I'm pretty new to hybrid, although I've made cards & things in the past. It just wasn't with stuff I printed out from the computer. That's where I'm running into a bit of a snag. The prints are looking fantastic, they're just not quite the right size.

I've made a template in PS and sized it just the way I want it. I've been saving the PS document as a JPG file, then printing the JPG from my Windows Vista computer (using the MS print utility) onto my Canon i9900. I've been unchecking the box that says "fit to page" or something like that. The prints are coming out just a smidge too large. (yes, that's a technical term ) The card dimensions should be 5.5 x 8 inches and it's printing out about 1/8 inch too big.

It doesn't really matter with the card if it's not quite the right size, but it will make a difference with some projects and I'd like to get it figured out. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I feel that the easiest way to get your printer to do what you want, is to make it easy for it. Once I get a project sized how I want it, I flatten individual layers and drag and drop them onto a new 8.5x11 document. Then I cram as much as possible onto that sheet, flatten it, and save it as a jpg. When you open up your print dialog, make sure that under "Print Size" you have the option checked for it to not scale at all. For example, mine says "original size (from image DPI)".

You can also check your advanced printer settings. For example, I have mine set to borderless but then within the advanced settings I had to tell it to make the expansion minimal (mine has a slider). That way it would enlarge the print at all and it prints exactly how I want it. For me, that was pretty much the only way to make it print exactly how I want.

Although I prefer for things to be a smidge too big, and then use a sanding block or file to get it juuuuuust right. Personal preference I guess
Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, Colleen, I think that did the trick! I hadn't thought to go in to the advanced settings and change the amount of expansion for the borderless printing. It printed exactly the way I wanted it to.

I think I'd also prefer it to be just a smidge too big, but I want to be able to control it so I get what I'm expecting.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I completely agree. I usually add 1/8" to all sides when I'm altering something, but then I print it at exactly that size. So I def feel ya on knowing exactly what you're getting.

Glad it worked out!!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I'm pretty new to hybrid, although I've made cards & things in the past. It just wasn't with stuff I printed out from the computer. That's where I'm running into a bit of a snag. The prints are looking fantastic, they're just not quite the right size.

I've made a template in PS and sized it just the way I want it. I've been saving the PS document as a JPG file, then printing the JPG from my Windows Vista computer (using the MS print utility) onto my Canon i9900. I've been unchecking the box that says "fit to page" or something like that. The prints are coming out just a smidge too large. (yes, that's a technical term ) The card dimensions should be 5.5 x 8 inches and it's printing out about 1/8 inch too big.

It doesn't really matter with the card if it's not quite the right size, but it will make a difference with some projects and I'd like to get it figured out. Any suggestions?
I am creating a shaped mini album with letters on the end spelling out a word. I saved each layer as a png file. I then opened it in photoshop and allowed it to print from there centering each image. It worked like a dream. Especially as I have a front and a back to cut out for each letter so its important that they are exactly the same size.

I usually save the file to a png or jpeg as photoshop takes forever to print a psd file. Photoshop does print the exact dimensions though if you avoid any scaling and there's the option to get into the printer dialogue page from there and set paper type print quality etc.. Hope this helps