Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default "What's a tampon?"

Yesterday, one of the new Kotex commercials came on (the one where the girls talks about how she feels about her period and how the "blue water" in the ads make it all clear for her), and Michael and I are busting up. What a hilarious commerical!! I laugh every time it's on. (The one where the chick with the bike asks guys to buy them for her is also funny.)

Anyways, Landon is "What's a tampon?"

You all know we recently had the "where babies come from" convo with him, so this was such a nice, tidy follow-up.

Anyways, I explain a little bit about how the uterus uses blood to build up soft, cushy place for the egg to grow into a baby, etc. but that since there isn't actually an egg to grow, the body lets go of all that blood. I explain a little bit about how that happens and that there are things that help absorb the blood--one of those things being tampons (didn't really explain how they're used or anything).

I also took a moment to mention some of the possible "side effects" that can be associated with this time of the month (headaches, cramps, mood swings, etc.).

Fast forward to today when Michael starts to tease me about something, and Landon pipes up, "Careful, Dad. She's probably bleeding." --> Guess that's Landonspeak for PMS.

This kid is a constant source of amusement.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ROFL!!! love it

(and so not looking forward to having those conversations with my son!)

Old 04-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Omg Krystal, that is hilarious
Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lol, that's so funny!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bwhahahaha. That is a good follow-up to the previous "talk".

ETA: and I just love his comments. They are so funny.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You made me giggle
Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sooo funny! Kids are just wonderful...

I guess I'm going to have to face these questions too, and time now.... ugh.

I have had the 'why do you have these' question whilst Alex jabbed me in the boobs; and the 'why don't you have a willy' question too - but he didn't stick around for more than 'well, I'm a woman and....'.

He's also told me that he'd be getting underarm hair any time now, because he's getting so grown up. He's 7. When I mentioned deoderants, he decided he'd rather wait a little longer for the hair.

Precious moments
Old 04-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They're not tampons anyway - they're mice.

Picture this - 25 4 year olds sitting on the carpet and me being observed teaching by the head and deputy head of our school and this one kid shuffling round, moving and generally not listening to the story etc. With one eye on our visitors, eventually I could ignore it no longer and said Abbie, what have you got, bring it here please. I held out my hand and was presented with a tampon. What's this I ask holding it up by the string, it's my mouse she said and you are holding it's tail. Well, go and put it in your pocket and take it back home. I don't need to take it home Miss, Mummy has a whole family of them in her drawer.

The head and deputy - both male, couldn't get out of the classroom fast enough and I could hear them giggling together outside the door like naughty schoolboys
Old 04-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Girl View Post

Picture this - 25 4 year olds sitting on the carpet and me being observed teaching by the head and deputy head of our school and this one kid shuffling round, moving and generally not listening to the story etc. With one eye on our visitors, eventually I could ignore it no longer and said Abbie, what have you got, bring it here please. I held out my hand and was presented with a tampon. What's this I ask holding it up by the string, it's my mouse she said and you are holding it's tail. Well, go and put it in your pocket and take it back home. I don't need to take it home Miss, Mummy has a whole family of them in her drawer.

The head and deputy - both male, couldn't get out of the classroom fast enough and I could hear them giggling together outside the door like naughty schoolboys
Oh. my. gosh.
That is soooooooooo funny! And traumatizing!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, too funny!!

I actually received a sampler pack of the new Kotex line last week. JP, who is 10, found the tampons it came with and started asking questions. Now, he already knows what a menstrual cycle is, because he walked in on me in the bathroom a few months ago. Traumatized, for sure. Anyway, he asks what the purpose of the tampon is, don't you use those 'not for dinner' napkins? I explained it as best as I could but he just wasn't getting it. Finally, I had him grab a glass of water into which we placed one of the tampons. I've never seen his eyes that big in my life. He looked at me, very frightened and said, "Doesn't it get stuck when it gets like that?????"

I really did try to contain my laughter. I promise.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

LOL, well, Krystal, a fantastic kit came out of the other conversation...think you can manage one out of this one? Maybe something with mice................
Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

omgosh...i literally snorted.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, my goodness, those are some funny stories.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOL - I saw the title of this thread and thought, "Landon is at it again ..."

The kid cracks me up.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LOL thats funny. I once walking in on my son taking a box of pads and sticking them all over his body. Including his private parts and I had to remove them. They stuck pretty good. He was not happy. When I remind him of this now he claims he does not remember eveer doing that. I wish I had gotten pictures!!

ETA: He was no older then 4 or so when this happened and is now 16 & 1/2

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

omg!! hillarious!

i have to hide my 'supplies'. one day i came into the bathroom after the kids had taken a bath and i found several floating in the bathtub.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

hahah too funny! When Caleb my now 4 year old was smaller I couldn't keep him out of those damn things. I don't know how many boxes he wasted ripping them open and chewing on them. GROSS!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

LOL! too funny!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Thank you, girls, for the best laugh I've had all week!!! Sooo funny!

When I was in college, I babysat my female boss's daughter every now and then. She got into my pads one time and was chewing on them in their wrappers. I actually did get a photo of it. I think she was teething, and those squishy pads felt good on her gums. ROFL!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hahahahahahaha, all the stories in this thread are freaking awesome!

My tampon story involes my brother and my grandma. My brother was 3 I was not born yet. 1985 and my grandma was a very straight laced up tight old lady. Well she took him grocery shopping with her to give my mom a break. They were going around the store and my brother sees the tampons and starts to sing- "Oooooo bbbbbb, ooooo bbbbb, its nice to be free! Ooooo Bbbbb, Ooooo Bbbbb, its good to be free." My grandma freaked out and tried hushing him but the other people in the isle were already laughing. She immedately left and took him home. She asked my mother where he learned that and her reply was, "It must have been the tv." My grandma was angry and left.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, you HAVE to scrap that. That is hilarious!

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That's hilarious!!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hahahahaha that's funny

Also, I love love love that commercial.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

That's funny!

My son had his own sign for stickers. He would come into the bathroom and use that sign. I guess he remembered the time I gave him a liner to play with to keep him out of trouble.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
Yesterday, one of the new Kotex commercials came on (the one where the girls talks about how she feels about her period and how the "blue water" in the ads make it all clear for her), and Michael and I are busting up. What a hilarious commerical!! I laugh every time it's on. (The one where the chick with the bike asks guys to buy them for her is also funny.)

Anyways, Landon is "What's a tampon?"

You all know we recently had the "where babies come from" convo with him, so this was such a nice, tidy follow-up.

Anyways, I explain a little bit about how the uterus uses blood to build up soft, cushy place for the egg to grow into a baby, etc. but that since there isn't actually an egg to grow, the body lets go of all that blood. I explain a little bit about how that happens and that there are things that help absorb the blood--one of those things being tampons (didn't really explain how they're used or anything).

I also took a moment to mention some of the possible "side effects" that can be associated with this time of the month (headaches, cramps, mood swings, etc.).

Fast forward to today when Michael starts to tease me about something, and Landon pipes up, "Careful, Dad. She's probably bleeding." --> Guess that's Landonspeak for PMS.

This kid is a constant source of amusement.
What age is your son? Be careful ... you never know what they will say to a female after getting that kind of "info" ... you heard one phrase ... can you imagine someone he meets out in public?! acckkk Maybe a follow up chat might be in order. I know I wouldn't find it very funny if a kid said that to me. .. he could address a PM'ing teen and really get it full force from her mouth. I know...I have a couple of teenaged nieces!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OMGosh! How funny is that??
Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
What age is your son? Be careful ... you never know what they will say to a female after getting that kind of "info" ... you heard one phrase ... can you imagine someone he meets out in public?! acckkk Maybe a follow up chat might be in order. I know I wouldn't find it very funny if a kid said that to me. .. he could address a PM'ing teen and really get it full force from her mouth. I know...I have a couple of teenaged nieces!
Yep! He's 9. All our conversations include the disclaimer that the topics are not appropriate for school, etc. He's supposed to only bring them up at home.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

These stories are hilarious!
My youngest DS was playing in my purse during church and I wasn't paying attention. I hear him say,"Mom, what's this?" and he's holding up a tampon(plenty high for everyone around us to see it) in the packaging and moving it so much it's making noise! Argh. I did the "we'll talk about this at home" thing after snatching it away and practically biting my tongue off to keep from laughing out loud.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Girl View Post

OMG Andrea - just how ill were you laughing after school?????

Teachers greatest gift: keeping a straight face.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Bwahahaha.... he's so cuteee!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OMGosh! Such funny stories... so far I've gotten away with saying, "well, they are for girl stuff" and that has been enough. Soon though I'll have to be more detailed with my 3 boys.

Krystal - I love your explanations to your son. They are scientific, factual, but not "too much" info at the same time. I think you need to write a book! I'd memorize each passage or just read it to my kids when the questions arise! I'm serious..."How to Answer the Difficult Questions" is a working title for you! hehe
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Roselli View Post
Krystal - I love your explanations to your son. They are scientific, factual, but not "too much" info at the same time. I think you need to write a book! I'd memorize each passage or just read it to my kids when the questions arise! I'm serious..."How to Answer the Difficult Questions" is a working title for you! hehe
Yes! I totally agree!!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LMAO!!!! This is hilarious (until it happens to me!)
Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

bwahahaha, my 7yr old has asked a few times and we've managed to change the conversation