Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Sweet Reads-Book Club
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default What are your favorite genres?

I lean toward historical fiction and also enjoy general fiction, literary fiction and mystery.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I love sci-fi, fantasy, dystopia, historic fiction... I'm kinda all over the place haha.

I'd say almost anything besides romance / girly fiction probably. I read to escape so the more interesting the adventure / world / characters / etc. the better for me.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It'd be easier to say what I *don't* like, haha! I'm not into westerns, chick lit, legal tales, horrors, ghosts, who-done-it murder mysteries, or war stories.

I lean towards sci-fi, dystopian, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, some YA, and action/suspense thrillers,
Old 01-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

chick lit... that was what I was rooting around there for when I said "girly fiction" haha
Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I like so many types. Like some of you have posted - suspense, thrillers, young adult, dystopian, some nonfiction, like biographies, some fantasy. I don't like Harlequin romance, but I love Nora Roberts type. Her books written as J.D. Robb (futuristic, cop in NYC) I LOVE- I laugh out loud at certain sections.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Anything except chick lit or historical romances (like the harlequin type things) My fave genres are historical fiction, classics and fantasy.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I tend to reach for time travel, dystopian, young adult, things set in the WWII era, or a good crime/courtroom drama/thriller (those are a guilty pleasure thing that I don't read very often).

I'll read just about anything if it has really great reviews, but I'm not really into chick lit, romance (except for the very occasional Danielle Steel or Fern Michaels), horror/suspense, or fantasy (like with mythical creatures living in other worlds).

I'm also a big fan of book series. I just love when a story carries over from one book to the next. I'm more likely to read a series despite the genre just cause I love the continuing saga.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I don't do chick lit either. But, I like almost everything else . . . historical fiction, sci fi, classics, general lit, LOVE WWII stuff, and I even enjoy biography if the subject is someone who interests me. I have a few westerns on my personal Top 10 list.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love dystopian, YA, paranormal, romance is good but not super mushy, I can get behind anything with a good story. I do really dislike historical fiction and war stuff, though. Like Libby I live series and I prefer to find them once they are all out so I do not havr to wait for more. I need closure lol
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read a wide variety of genres and like to mix it up, my favorite is probably literary fiction. The only genres I really just straight up have no interest in are Romance and Self-Help.

I really like a book that sort of defies genre, that are hard to pinpoint, sound like they should be one thing but really aren't.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I tend to do one chick lit then one thriller/crime/supernatural and something different to mix it up every so often. I don't like historical romance or other worlds stuff.

ETA I do most of my reading in my lunch time at work or one evening a week when I have my own 'night out' in the local mall whilst treating myself to something nice to eat, so I am best with things that can be put down and picked up frequently and not lose the plot.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm kind of all over the place too. I love YA, dystopian, contemporary fiction, some historical fiction. I also love romance, but more the Nicholas Sparks type...not the Harlequin type. I also love a good mystery, or thriller. Yeah....all over the place. Not so much into sci-fi and fantasy, but I'm not completely opposed to it either.

Gallery