Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82
Default How do you view all your design elements?

So I used to use Picasa to view everything. It was the only thing I used that program for and it was fantastic because I could search for things by color, type, kit name, or designer. I got a new computer and low and behold Picasa is no more, so I can't download it or make it work on the new operating system. I am at a total loss on how to work on my pages now!!!! Seriously I just gave up, it was too overwhelming to search manually through my collection without a visual searchable catalog.

I want to start scrapping again!!! It's my favorite winter pastime!!

So please tell me there is another program that will help me!
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just view each kit through windows explorer. You can search by name within folders or even through several folders at once.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't know it was a thing any more! :O All those hours people invested in to sorting their things is gone if they buy a new computer.

I'm sorry you are going through that nonsense. I hope you are able to find something else.

Me? I'm not that organized digitally. Wish I were, but I'm not.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use picasa too.. I wonder if you can find an old download for it somewhere? i'd be lost without it! ack!

are you on a pc or mac?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I just use the file system in Windows, BUT, I do import all of my kit previews into Lightroom and tag them with stores, themes, designers, colors, specific elements, etc. . That way, if I’m working on a challenge for Sweet Shoppe and I want to use a Fox of a Christmas kit, or blue paper,, it’s easy to search and find what I’m looking for.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I use picasa too.. I wonder if you can find an old download for it somewhere? i'd be lost without it! ack!

are you on a pc or mac?
I am a PC
Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you have Adobe Bridge? I used that when I was still tagging things, it's not automatic like Picasa (was it automatic?) but it does the job!

A few years ago I stopped tagging my previews (I didn't do every element or paper), and started sorting my kits by theme instead of by designer. I absolutely love it this way, I find things so much easier now and I don't waste my limited scrapping time with tagging like I used to.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Like Karli Marie, I use Lightroom to tag previews. I'd be absolutely lost without my catalog, especially when I'm designing! I have a tutorial on my old blog for my process, if you're interested.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danagirl82 View Post
So I used to use Picasa to view everything. It was the only thing I used that program for and it was fantastic because I could search for things by color, type, kit name, or designer. I got a new computer and low and behold Picasa is no more, so I can't download it or make it work on the new operating system. I am at a total loss on how to work on my pages now!!!! Seriously I just gave up, it was too overwhelming to search manually through my collection without a visual searchable catalog.

I want to start scrapping again!!! It's my favorite winter pastime!!

I use bridge... I have the photography plan for 10 bucks a month which has bridge, lightroom and photoshop. You can tag and organize by color or whatever tags you like but I never make time to sit down and do that. lol.

PS love your siggy... what kit is that from?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I use Adobe Bridge. But I am not very good about using keywords to tag everything. I use it primary to view everything. I should start tagging everything though.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danagirl82 View Post
I, too, am on a PC, but my secret weapon is TumaSoft's Preset Viewer Argus and Breeze. They expand the existing functionality of Windows Explorer to give you medium, large, and extra-large previews of all sorts of files that would normally just show up as file type icons, including Photoshop brushes, patterns, styles, shapes, gradients, PSD files, GIF, JPG, and PNGs. It bypasses the need for a memory-heavy tool like Bridge or Lightroom when you're browsing through your supplies.

Personally, I use Lightroom to organize my supplies by keywording preview images with colors and themes, the two things I use to search for supplies. Once those keywords are written into the files' metadata, you can use Windows Explorer's "find" tool (CTRL+F) to search both file names and keywords, assuming you've got your Windows Search Indexing settings set up to include those folders and file types.

I wrote a couple blog posts a while ago about how I use those tools to quickly find and use my supplies. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll dig up the link. Hope this helps!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
I, too, am on a PC, but my secret weapon is TumaSoft's Preset Viewer Argus and Breeze. They expand the existing functionality of Windows Explorer to give you medium, large, and extra-large previews of all sorts of files that would normally just show up as file type icons, including Photoshop brushes, patterns, styles, shapes, gradients, PSD files, GIF, JPG, and PNGs. It bypasses the need for a memory-heavy tool like Bridge or Lightroom when you're browsing through your supplies.

Personally, I use Lightroom to organize my supplies by keywording preview images with colors and themes, the two things I use to search for supplies. Once those keywords are written into the files' metadata, you can use Windows Explorer's "find" tool (CTRL+F) to search both file names and keywords, assuming you've got your Windows Search Indexing settings set up to include those folders and file types.

I wrote a couple blog posts a while ago about how I use those tools to quickly find and use my supplies. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll dig up the link. Hope this helps!
I ended up just using Lightroom after looking at and testing several options. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanker View Post
I use bridge... I have the photography plan for 10 bucks a month which has bridge, lightroom and photoshop. You can tag and organize by color or whatever tags you like but I never make time to sit down and do that. lol.

PS love your siggy... what kit is that from?
It is
Old 12-15-2017, 01:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Another Adobe Bridge user here!