Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Sweet Reads-Book Club
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 8/27

What's the last book/books you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

What's the last book/books you finished?

August has been a great reading month..it's amazing how much reading I can do when my kids go back to school and my husband deploys lol

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

This was so good. I've read a lot of Hardy but somehow missed this one along the way and wanted to read it before I watched the new movie version...both are great. I gave it 4 stars.

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

This has been on my kindle forever and I finally read it this month. It was good..one of those books that are interesting and worth reading but didn't blow me away. I gave it 3 stars.

Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive #2) by Brandon Sanderson

Oh my goodness gracious this was soooo good. If you love High Fantasy, if you love wonderful world building and interesting characters and kingdoms at war and princes and grizzled old soldiers and epic prophecy and destinies and mysterious assassins and giant killer crustaceans and tiny magical creatures, and magic and evil monks and twists and turns and everything else that makes high fantasy fan-freaking-tastic then read this series (only 2 books out so far). Listen to the audiobook too if you can b/c it's amazing. 5 stars.

Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles #1)by Colin Meloy, Carson Ellis

This is Middle Grade Fantasy/Magical Realism. The story is cute...very Narnia inspired. The illustrations are fantastic and there are several illustrated color plates throughout the book. The book itself is gorgeous. If it weren't for the illustrations and book design it would probably be a 3 star (which is still good) but the story plus the pics and design bump it up to 4 stars.

Armada by Ernest Cline - listened to the audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton

Ah me...I know there are a lot of Ready Player One fans at SSD..and I'm one of them. It was one of my top 5 reads last year so Armada was one of my most anticipated books for 2015...and sadly one of my biggest disappointments. You can see my review on goodreads here if you'd like to know more of why. (may contain spoilers)

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore #1)
by Robin Sloan

This is another that's been on my kindle a while and I've been looking forward to it because I love books about books...sadly I just didn't connect with this one. It was just okay.

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl #1)

This is YA Horror/Fantasy although I don't really consider it horror. I had a docs appt last week and forgot my book (I know right?) so I quickly downloaded this on my phone b/c I'd seen the cover it in the bookstore and thought it looked interesting. And the first half was okay...then it just went all down hill. After I finished it I discovered it's based on a web series which I didn't know and probably wouldn't have read if I had. Cool cover but poorly executed.

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

American Classic...4 stars

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontė

Okay..so Wuthering Heights is my favorite book of all time. I've easily read it about 15 times over the past 20-25 years. I was due for another reead and had purchased this gorgeous edition last fall. It's still my fave...although I think I take away different things from it the older I get. When I was 19 or so, I was all about the romance of the story...it totally didn't matter to me what a complete jerk Heathcliff was and a total snot Cathy was. It was all about the love. Now I can see how their selfishness affected every other character in devastating ways. Such a quotable book. A masterpiece IMO.

What are you reading right now?

Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles #2) by Colin Meloy, Carson Ellis

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles #1) by Anne Rice

I have read the entire Vampire Chronicles and Companion books etc by Anne Rice but it's been a looong time. Like the last time I read this one I was in college like 23 years ago . But I want to reread them all before I pick up Prince Lestat (the newest) b/c I've forgotten so much of the story.

What's on your TBR?

Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles #3)by Colin Meloy, Carson Ellis

The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #2) by Anne Rice

Villette by Charlotte Brontė