Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Is it worth it upgrading to more megapixels?

so i've had my first dslr camera since i believe '05/'06, a Canon Rebel XT. by now they have since come out with several newer versions all with more pixels than my 8mp. I have thought about saving up for a new one, but i don't ever print out big pictures so is it pointless to really invest in a newer model with more pixels? or should i concentrate more on better lenses? right now i primarily use my 50mm 1:8; i have a 28-90 zoom but it was dropped and i dont think the focus is right on it now, the pictures don't seem as crisp. i was thinking about either another zoom lens for when i take the kids to the zoo, or for school functions where i cant be close (ie Chloe's christmas programs etc.) or a better portrait lens? my 50 mm was only $75 when i bought it and i know there are better ones.

it would take me forever to save for a camera, but if i found a reasonably priced lense i could get that quicker lol.

i suppose i should add that i'm not looking to start my own business or anything, just would like to maybe be able to take family photos myself instead of going somewhere to have it done. photography is pretty much just a hobby lol.

Last edited by junebug; 11-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Your camera is still good! There's no reason to upgrade the camera...I would get a lens that can be a good go-to lens for the type of pics you like to take!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thats really what i'm thinking would be best. its impossible to keep up with technology unless you're rich lol. and then what would i do with my old one? i'm rather fond of it lol. so i guess i'll have to start a 'camera lense fund' now lol.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No reason to upgrade based on Megapixels.

I've been running my business of an XSi, although I do need to upgrade for my ISO range, otherwise my camera works fine.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nikon D40 which is only 6 MP - but honestly, I don't enlarge my photos big enough to make upgrading worthwhile. My P&S is 12 MP - but it's not nearly the camera my D40 is! MP mean very little these days!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I agree, buy a new lens
Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, there might be other features on the newer models that you like, but I don't think the megapixels are so much of a deal breaker.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Yeah, there might be other features on the newer models that you like, but I don't think the megapixels are so much of a deal breaker.
i think the newer ones let you see your shot from the lcd screen on the back; mine doesnt have that. i have to look through the veiwfinder. not a big deal but sometimes it would be nice. but i think i'll work on another lens for now. who knows what tax time will bring lol. though we need a new tv since my daughter sprayed water on our 1 yr old 46 inch 1080 Samsung last month. grrrr...now we use the 32 inch bedroom tv in the living room
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Invest in glass!

Make sure it is upgradeable though too! You may eventually upgrade the camera as well so make sure the lens you get can work with the newer cameras as well.

I have a Nikon d90 and have been tempted recently with the Nikon d7000 with its more MPs, new sensor, and better video capability, but I realized that there is ALWAYS a new/better camera coming out and eventually I am going to want to go Full Frame for higher ISOs. So I am not buying the new camera and instead starting a new lens fund (one I want is $1700!!!!) so that when I do upgrade to the Full Frame camera years down the road, I can have my good glass to go with it. It is going to take me almost two years to save up for the lens, but I know it will be worth it. I bought my current lens used two years ago and have been so happy I did, that I KNOW that good glass makes the photos! That an learning the camera and how to take photos! LOL that one is all me though!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i still have a lot to learn too. i have started using manual outside; i am not very good yet in low light situations inside. so i will definitely look into new lenses, maybe even used ones. as long as it works and i'm not getting ripped off lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I always thought I would want to go full-frame eventually, but the d7000 has totally changed my mind. It's amazing, and does REALLY well at high ISO's (which isn't really a selling point for me, because I rarely shoot in situation with THAT little light, KWIM?). If I passed my PE, Jordan said I get to get the D7000. I'm REALLY hoping I passed, lol.

If you never print anything bigger than 8x10, more megapixels are useless.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
i still have a lot to learn too. i have started using manual outside; i am not very good yet in low light situations inside. so i will definitely look into new lenses, maybe even used ones. as long as it works and i'm not getting ripped off lol.
I was really nervous about used too, but I got lucky. I would also look into the lenses for sale on CM once you get your membership there. Oh and don't expect a steal, because then you WILL get ripped off, KWIM. Too good to be true usually is! The key is fixed aperture for lenses. The ones with variable are always the lower end lenses.

Col,
Have you actually seen test shots of the higher ISOs? All I have seen so far is a pre-view review of the camera? I did debate about getting it, but chose the more long term route with going for the new lens. And I thought I wouldn't need higher ISOs either until I shot a football game after sunset. With my aperture low (2.8) and my shutter speed higher (for no blur) my ISOs were going up to 800 to 1000. I should have gone higher too because they were still underexposed. My D90 can't handle those levels. So I'm curious what the actual shots at the higher ISOs look like on the d7000.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 AM

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm.....I'm pretty certain I read a really in depth review online....I'll have to dig it up. Amy (Matthews) read it too I think? We both came to the conclusion that we wouldn't need a full frame camera if we upgraded to the d7000.

If I was going to be shooting a lot of sunset football games, then yea, I would probably reconsider. But for me, that is SO far down the line (we don't have kids yet) that it's not even on my radar. By the time I have kids old enough to be doing that sort of thing, I hope to have a photography business, and then I'll be in a whole other place in my life and photography. So by then, maybe I'll want to go full frame, but not in the near future. I have an external flash that I use indoors and I LOVE, and I have yet to shoot outdoors in low light. So for me, going full frame just isn't worth it. If I ever do decide to go pro, I want to go into pet photography and I would be doing outdoor natural light shooting. If I was to shoot indoors I would make do with natural light, or bring out the external flash. My current lenses would technically work on a full frame Nikon, but the DX line isn't REALLY meant for that. Same with the FX lenses not really being meant for cropped frame shooting. So either way I would have to deal with that issue. So for me, I'm sticking with a cropped sensor.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM

profile gallery send pm

This is the review that made me swoon. The comment section is awesome too.
http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/nikon-d7000/

If you google D7000, lots of reviews/previews are up now.