Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default INteresting little shampoo fact

LOL yep I am a dork, but i was researching for the best shampoo cause i need some new stuff (also does anyone else go through conditioner like 2 times faster than shampoo) LOL anyways I found this.

One of the worst of these chemicals is Sodium Laureth Sulphate - commonly known as SLS which is an aggressive cleaning and foaming agent commonly used as an engine degreaser. SLS has been proven to strip oils from and prematurely age your skin, damage eye membranes, retard healing, inhibit hair follicle growth and more, yet it's added to 90% of shampoos! Silicone is another harmful chemical used as an artificial shine enhancer in many leading brand conditioners.

Yah I dont want to be putting something that you put in an engine in my hair. So i went and checked out the bottles in my shower i had 4 with that ingredient in them! INcluding the kids shampoo So I threw em out LOL

and some good ones to look for

Tea Tree Oil based shampoo. Tea Tree Oil is a fantastic anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory natural ingredient which will help to soothe your itchy scalp and prevent infections. Other great natural oils to look out for when choosing a shampoo or conditioner are Zinc Pyrithione and Jojoba. Zinc pyrithione is great at combating dandruff and as a cure for itchy scalp conditions.

LOL I may be the only one completely fasinated by this but i am going shampoo shopping later!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

That's super interesting Katrina!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to uptowngirl Send a message via Yahoo to uptowngirl

yes -- i run out of conditioner WAY faster than shampoo... so annoying! i am so going to check out my shampoo label now... and my daughter's... ugh, always something, right??
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

wow that's nuts!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

A friend of mine freaked me out with this little fact when my oldest was a baby so we just use the natural shampoos for kids now. My daughters' all have dry hair though and the natural ones we have tried don't work great - leave their hair too squeaky clean. Does anyone know of a natural tear free shampoo for kids that works nicely for dry hair?

Kristi

a charity kit benefiting China's orphans
Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that's so crazy! I checked our bottle and sure enough, it's got SLS...and it's a salon brand! The kids shampoo is still packed, I really should go find it...lol.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Yeah isn't it terrible? I'd have to look, but I think Aveda has been doing hair care products that are free of that stuff for years.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow thats really nuts! I wonder why they would even allow anyone to market something like that! I am going to investigage now! Thanks for the tip honey! And yes I run out of conditoner WAY to fast!! My hair is to the middle of my butt though so I shouldnt be surprised. I use gobbs of it!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3hens View Post
Wow thats really nuts! I wonder why they would even allow anyone to market something like that! I am going to investigage now! Thanks for the tip honey! And yes I run out of conditoner WAY to fast!! My hair is to the middle of my butt though so I shouldnt be surprised. I use gobbs of it!
I used to hair that long, lol. I def went through 2-3x the conditioner. I STILL go through twice what my shampoo does and my hair is only a lil longer than chin length! Lol! Speaking of which, I need a trim and touch up on my highlights.....
Old 04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was just wondering if anyone else used up conditioner faster than shampoo.

I'll have to check my shampoo. I do love tea tree oil shampoo/conditioner but I don't always get them.

Anyway, they probably use that stuff so that they can also sell us stuff to deal with our prematurely aging skin, damaged eye membranes, and the inhibited growth of our hair follicles
Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Wow! That is crazy! I am definitely going to check out our bottles!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post

Anyway, they probably use that stuff so that they can also sell us stuff to deal with our prematurely aging skin, damaged eye membranes, and the inhibited growth of our hair follicles
HAHA love that!!

My hair is down to almost my butt so i go through TONS of conditioner, its crazy. I've been thinking of chopping my hair just to save on cost of washing it LOL
Old 04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Founder

profile gallery send pm

Ew! There's an "ammonium laureth sulfate" in my Aussie brand shampoo, but no sodium..same thing or no? Also..no silicone in my Aussie conditioner.

My siggy needs a re-vamp!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Okay I am seriously freaking about this, I read another site about

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

which i guess is the higher worse than Sodium Laureth Sulphate and guess what thats in, Our childrens bubble bath. Yep the thing they sit in and soak in and put on there face.

In its final report on the safety of sodium lauryl sulfate, the Journal of the American College of Toxicology notes that this ingredient has a "degenerative effect on the cell membranes because of its protein denaturing properties." What's more, the journal adds, "high levels of skin penetration may occur at even low use concentration."

# Carcinogenic nitrosamines can form in the manufacturing of sodium lauryl sulfate or by its intereaction with other nitrogen-bearing ingredients within a formulation utilizing this ingredient. Other studies have indicated that sodium lauryl sulfate enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact. This poses the question whether it could be a serious potential health threat from its use in shampoos, cleansers, and toothpastes.
# Still other research has indicated sodium lauryl sulfate may be damaging to the immune system, especially within the skin. Skin layers may separate and inflame due to its protein denaturing properties.
# Although sodium lauryl sulfate is not carcinogenic in experimental studies, it has been shown that it causes severe epidermal changes in the area it is applied, indicating a need for tumor-enhancing assays.
# Additional studies have found that sodium lauryl sulfate is heavily deposited on the skin surface and in the hair follicles. Damage to
the hair follicle could result from such deposition.

Threat to Eye Health

Damaging effects of sodium lauryl sulfate on eye health are also of concern. In experimental, acute eye tests, a solution of 10 percent sodium lauryl sulfate "caused corneal damage to the . . . eyes if not irrigated or irrigation was delayed."

Further, according to the Journal of the American College of Toxicology, "Tests show permanent eye damage in young animals from skin contact in non-eye areas. Studies indicated sodium lauryl sulfate kept young eyes from developing properly by possibly denaturing the proteins and not allowing for proper structural formation. This damage was permanent."

Substitution of Gentler Detergents Poses Additional Risks

Unfortunately, many of the gentler detergents that may be substituted for sodium lauryl sulfate pose their own health hazards. For example, many companies have begun to use ethoxylated detergents such as sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide DEA or lauramide DEA because they tend to be less irritating.

Consumers can recognize shampoo ingredients containing ethoxylated detergents and related ingredients by looking for the prefix, word, or syllable PEG, polyethylene, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, eth (as in sodium laureth sulfate), or oxynol.

Both our own commissioned independent laboratory testing and that of the federal government have documented ethoxylated alcohol compounds are frequently contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which is carcinogenic and is listed by the federal government as a probable human carcinogen.

Also, according to a 1998 report from the federal National Toxicology Program, two DEA-based compounds‹cocamide DEA and lauramide DEA‹have been demonstrated to be cancer-causing in at least in one species of animal.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok ... I just need someone to tell me what brands & kinds to go buy LOL. I am just about out of everything anyway .... might as well start fresh with it all.

Just tell me what to go buy please LOL.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If anyone is near a LUSH boutique (or you can order online) they have several SLS free shampoo bars. They are:

Karma Komba
New!
Seanik
Soak & Float
Squeaky Green
Ultimate Shine

Jonathan Product (the guy from Bravo's Blow Out show) is SLS free and Vegan. Wen Cleansing Conditioner by Chaz Dean is also SLS free (LOVE this stuff).

And here's a page listing SLS free product links.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

yep yep.. sulfate is baaad stuff my kid is allergic to it, it's actually HARD to find shampoos without it (unless you go organic/vegan)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to gyllenhaalic Send a message via Yahoo to gyllenhaalic

Oh, that's awful. It's in my kids shampoo, too. Guess we won't be using the Mayor's Melon Shampoo anymore. Fortunately my shampoo SLS. I use a brand called Organix which you can get at Wal-Mart and Target. I use the Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner. Smells like coconut pudding - yum!

My Blog
Old 04-21-2008, 06:00 PM

profile gallery send pm

are any of those ones that are free from the bad stuff, good for color treated hair?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to mention that these internet scare stories are often way overblown. These toxicity studies use extremely high doses of chemicals in ways that they would never be used IRL. Also, most of the sites pushing this particular story are ones selling alternative products, so I have to question their motives as well. I don't really know the story one way or the other, but I do know that most of the things I read on the Internet need to be read with a big grain of salt.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
are any of those ones that are free from the bad stuff, good for color treated hair?
yes... I'm a dye-aholic You have to try out different things (IE don't use an organic lemon shampoo on dyed hair ) but they're more gentle than sulfate based cleansers and thus won't strip the hair.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that's very interesting... and scary.

I'm sure nearly everything we (my family) use and/or eat is much worse than I'd like to know. We usually buy the cheapest of everything. I tend to not research things too much because it would stress me out! Somehow people survive and look fine!

The bubble bath thing worries me a little bit!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The bubble bath thing really worries me because every time my daughter has a bubble bath her behind breaks out in a rash and she says it hurts, when she baths in just water its fine. Also lately i've noticed her scalp starting to flake and its when we switched her to this shampoo that has it in it, I am guessing the baby shampoo she was using before didn't because she never had a problem before we switched. I don't know the way i see it all the things were using, processed foods etc are what is making everyone get cancer etc. Look at how people lived 100 years ago, they ate and lived off the land and you didn't hear of little kids dieing of cancer and all the other crazy things they have now. Although they did die of things like small pox which is pretty much taken care of now with vaccines. Something that makes you go hmmm do i really want to put all this stuff in my body and my children's bodies?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyllenhaalic View Post
Oh, that's awful. It's in my kids shampoo, too. Guess we won't be using the Mayor's Melon Shampoo anymore. Fortunately my shampoo SLS. I use a brand called Organix which you can get at Wal-Mart and Target. I use the Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner. Smells like coconut pudding - yum!
Those look so yummy! I am drawn to bottles LOL I doubt we have them in our tiny town but next time we go to the city i will be stocking up!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

wow. damaged eye membranes...sounds scary! off to check the shampoo.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

I'm an organic/non-toxic nut... There's a couple good places for legitimate info. One is the National Geographic's Green Guide website. They have a buying guide here. More specifically, their shampoo buying guide is here. Care2 also has some interesting reading material here.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM

profile gallery send pm

Thanks La! Julie thanks for those links, I'm gonna check them out.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know! It's scary. This is exactly why I asked for organic product recommendations yesterday. I'm in the process of finding products that will limit our chemical exposure. Scary stuff!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Just a thought, about Tea Tree oil shampoo. While it is good and natural, it does tend to dry out the hair. So be careful! It might help to alternate it with something that is more moisturizing.

Just my experience.
da

Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

OOoooo, interesting stuff! I have been evolving into a non-toxic 'nut' for the past few months (spend three solid winter months indoors and you start to wonder if all those cleaning/household chemicals are really necessary). But I hadn't even got to the personal hair care stage yet. I am off to read some labels in the bathroom now....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I went to the store and EVERY bottle had it in it! I have to go to the city where i can find something without! Prob wont be going there for a couple months though.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean Katrina, I'm in the middle of nowhere, and I order online alot. But our safeway carries Burts Bees, and our walmart carries Toms of Maine stuff. Speaking of Burts Bees, they have a good article on reading labels on their website.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlflies View Post
(spend three solid winter months indoors and you start to wonder if all those cleaning/household chemicals are really necessary).
I totally hear you on this. Last fall I stopped using scented candles and my oldest daughter (who had daily headaches and had seen a couple specialists) has hardly had a headache in 6 months.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I learned all too much about these harsh chemicals when I joined an online wellness company that I order a lot of my household products from.

I already normally buy organic anyway. My son is like Lauren's...allergic to that stuff!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I learned about these chemicals not too long ago and it is nearly impossible to find any shampoo without this. I just don't want to order online so I'm stuck as to what to do. I don't like the idea using this stuff of my kiddos knowing that it could be causing them harm. This is also in all baby shampoos and Check your TOOTHPASTE because it's usually in them and your bath soap too. It's scary because I agree with Katrina. There are just so many cases of Cancer now and I know it has to be all these chemicals we're getting from food, products, etc.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Angela Spangler Send a message via AIM to Angela Spangler Send a message via MSN to Angela Spangler Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Spangler

Cool! I would definitely like to buy more natural things for our family. I'll be looking into this!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquiverfull View Post
I learned about these chemicals not too long ago and it is nearly impossible to find any shampoo without this. I just don't want to order online so I'm stuck as to what to do. I don't like the idea using this stuff of my kiddos knowing that it could be causing them harm. This is also in all baby shampoos and Check your TOOTHPASTE because it's usually in them and your bath soap too. It's scary because I agree with Katrina. There are just so many cases of Cancer now and I know it has to be all these chemicals we're getting from food, products, etc.
lol yep it's in toothpaste too... Toothpaste, Laundry detergent, dish soap, make up, cleansers, shampoo, etc etc... There ARE products out there, as I obviously NEED to buy them but oye is it a pita!!

eta: Avalon organics (as well as a gabillion other brands) are sold at Whole Foods type stores if you guys have those. Whole Foods might be an east coast thing though
Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Lauren,
I think we have a whole foods around here. I'll have to check it out.

Kelli
Old 04-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

We use Jason products for our kids. It doesn't contain this yucky stuff and is tear free. The only problem is it leaves their hair super tangly. Jason make a conditioner but it is worthless. So I bought a Pantene conditioner for them or I end up using my Aveda conditioners for them. I am pretty sure Jason is pretty widely available. We used to buy it at our grocery store that had a natural foods section and now we get it at Whole Foods.

Kristi

a charity kit benefiting China's orphans
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to gyllenhaalic Send a message via Yahoo to gyllenhaalic

I can't believe it's in toothpaste! The fact that I've been(and my children as well)digesting the stuff for so long has me a little freaked out here.
Great thread, though. We've been working on going natural/organic on a lot of products and this is a good kick in the butt.

My Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Crazy how much it's in, I used to be in a company called melaluca and I am seriously thinking i want to join again! Its all natural products
Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here is something I got off the internet and I am going by right now, until the girls shampoo runs out. After that, we are going organic for them. Their shampoo has Sodium Laureth Sulphate in it. Ours (DHs & mine) had Ammonium Laureth Sulphate in it so I bought some new shampoo for us today.

Quote:
Look at the label!!! Here is a guide to how gentle your shampoo is according to the surfactant used:

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very, very, harsh

Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- very harsh but better than the above

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate- better than the above, but still a little harsh

Sodium Laureth Sulfate-gentle, great pick!

TEA lauryl Sulfate-good pick

TEA Laureth Sulfate-good pick
ETA: And just as I hit post, they talked about it on Oprah. LOL (not about shampoo, just that SLS is not good for you)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Wow, great to know. I have it in all my current stuff I will also be heading out to look for new product as well!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I used to be in a company called melaluca and I am seriously thinking i want to join again
That's the company I shop from. I was coming back here to mention sunscreens that are safe! My mom has been doing the research for me and found UV Natural to be the best! Just wanted to share in case anyone else was on the hunt for a safe sunscreen!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2aria06

Wow! That is crazy...and very interesting! Thanks for the info- I'll have to see if mine has it!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have some tea tree oil based Shampoo that I bought from my supplements store and I LOVE it.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, I never would have known that. I'll have to check out our shampoo, although I don't know that I want to.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 06-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but there is an extremely poisonous chemical and carcenogen in most baby shampoos... FROMALDEHYDE!!

You can google it to read more about it. Pretty scary stuff. The beauty industry is simply not regulated well-enough IMO.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Oh, and we use melaleuca stuff here and we LOOOOOOVE it!!

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamahrt View Post
A friend of mine freaked me out with this little fact when my oldest was a baby so we just use the natural shampoos for kids now. My daughters' all have dry hair though and the natural ones we have tried don't work great - leave their hair too squeaky clean. Does anyone know of a natural tear free shampoo for kids that works nicely for dry hair?

Kristi
We use Burt's Bees baby shampoo on Kylie, and we also use the conditioner they make for adults, she is over two, so it doesn't matter. Her hair is so soft, it's not brittle at all,

My Sweet Shoppe Gallery