Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-04-2021, 11:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default How long do you save your layout PSD files?

Sooo...how long do you save the layered files for your layouts? Forever? Ditch them after a while?

I've always saved mine and still do. But, I have never gone back and opened up an old layout for anything. Except for something that may have been recently made and I saw a mistake or something I wanted to change before posting it. But, a year ago? 10 years ago? Nope!

I am currently, newly backing up to Backblaze my computer and EHD files. I'm down to something like 1,033 files to go and it seems to be all big files. Including psd files. And those take a lot longer to back up than smaller files. Which is fine. But it got me to thinking...

Here's my story:
My previous EHD is away in Ohio right now with a company (hopefully) pulling all of my files off of it. About 4 years worth of pictures that, unfortunately, were no longer being backed up by Carbonite. Reason being...we moved a couple of years ago. When getting the house ready and presentable to sell, I tucked my EHD away and it wasn't plugged into the laptop. Then we moved and it stayed tucked away for about a year. I wasn't scrapping during this time so I didn't think about it. Then, last February, I plugged it in and it was fine for a bit until it dropped. Then the computer wouldn't recognize it. I contacted Carbonite and turns out they didn't have the files because the EHD had been unplugged for soooo long that they didn't keep the files. Then, when I plugged it back in, they started to grab all those files again but only had some before it dropped.

Several online data recovery companies couldn't get to the files and a local computer repair shop couldn't get them. So, I've "ignored" the situation for a long time. When Lea posted about her EHD, I decided to do something about it. Even though I have Carbonite service, I signed up with Backblaze and plan to end service with Carbonite when Backblaze is finished grabbing my files. I'm not blaming Carbonite, just saw a lot of recommendations for Backblaze. And, I contacted a company that was recommended on Lea's thread and they seemed hopeful. Sent them the EHD and, after looking at it, they seemed confident that they could get my files. At least I won't have to pay (my arm & leg, and my husband's, too!) until they do retrieve them.

If I didn't have on that EHD all of my old layered layout files, I think the total space would have been significantly lower and not have bumped me into the next, higher payment level. And, maybe more importantly, I'd have more room on whatever computer or EHD I'm using without keeping all of them.

I'm talking myself into ditching old psd files. Of my layouts, not of templates or such. Maybe anything older than a year? And filter them out periodically?

Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have also thought about this. I currently still have most of my layered files (but I now do TIFF not PSDs, I think they are smaller in size and I like seeing the preview of what it is.) I am missing a few from many years ago and I had a crash...before I knew about Back Blaze.
Only a few of times I have I taken an old LO and opened the layered file, sometimes its to fix a typo and sometimes to recreate that LO.
Just a reminder, Back Blaze says the EHD should be plugged in once a month as well. I just leave mine attached to the desktop. And when I scrap on my laptop, I save into dropbox cause then it will be on my desktop too.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-04-2021, 12:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I generally leave my EHD plugged in all the time. When we were moving and settling in, I forgot about the once-a-month rule.

Seeing the preview with tiff sounds nice!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I move mine to a flash drive. If it fails, oh well because I don't view those like I do a picture or finished layout which I backup in a few spots.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I move mine to a flash drive. If it fails, oh well because I don't view those like I do a picture or finished layout which I backup in a few spots.
Hmmm...there's a thought. I've got plenty of flash drives around.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have been keeping all my tiff files - I've just recently (in the last year) decided to just print all my pages into bound books instead of using D ring binders (easier to store and more accessible for having people look at them). I had deleted all my jpgs, so I've had to go back to my tiffs to reflatten - and then I had some jpgs become corrupt or something - Shutterfly couldn't read them, so I had go back and redo it. So I'm stuck, I could free up a lot of space getting rid of those tiffs... haha. My hubby is talking again about upgrading our personal server to add even more storage. Now, It's not all me - my hubby has a lot of radio tracks (he is a radio dj).
Old 03-04-2021, 01:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I have been keeping all my tiff files - I've just recently (in the last year) decided to just print all my pages into bound books instead of using D ring binders (easier to store and more accessible for having people look at them). I had deleted all my jpgs, so I've had to go back to my tiffs to reflatten - and then I had some jpgs become corrupt or something - Shutterfly couldn't read them, so I had go back and redo it. So I'm stuck, I could free up a lot of space getting rid of those tiffs... haha. My hubby is talking again about upgrading our personal server to add even more storage. Now, It's not all me - my hubby has a lot of radio tracks (he is a radio dj).
Y'all sound more technically advanced than me. lol Just curious, since you didn't originally scrap the layouts with bound books in mind, how have the "edges" been for you? Or the inner part of the pages? Much being cut off? Or did you chose an option on the book site to have a white border around your layouts? I've only printed one book and it was in 2008. My memory is foggy on what was offered but I know I specifically scrapped pages with the book and edges in mind. I use post bound scrapbooks (I think they're called) to slide my printed layouts into right now.

Wait...what?! Corrupt jpgs??? Say it isn't so! Now you're scaring me!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't printed my pages yet...I know, I know. I am slowly getting there. I have printed some of them but not a lot of them. I have gone back and redone pages that I hate bc my scrapping style has changed a lot since when I started. I just keep the basic layout but change the kit or the style a little. It is usually the kit bc I was on creative teams...anyway. I am a hoarder so I keep all my files...I lost some of pics way back when bc my method of storage was a CD and it cracked. Hubby was able to pull some off but freaked me out enough that I am now a hoarder...LOL My layouts are saved as TIFFS and on a 5tb ehd. I used IDrive to back up my files and photos.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I haven't printed my pages yet...I know, I know. I am slowly getting there. I have printed some of them but not a lot of them. I have gone back and redone pages that I hate bc my scrapping style has changed a lot since when I started. I just keep the basic layout but change the kit or the style a little. It is usually the kit bc I was on creative teams...anyway. I am a hoarder so I keep all my files...I lost some of pics way back when bc my method of storage was a CD and it cracked. Hubby was able to pull some off but freaked me out enough that I am now a hoarder...LOL My layouts are saved as TIFFS and on a 5tb ehd. I used IDrive to back up my files and photos.
That would have freaked me out, too.
I haven't redone my awful first layouts because they amuse me. One day, I might look through them and if there is a particularly special picture, them maybe I'll do a new layout. Maybe. lol
Old 03-04-2021, 08:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post

Oh my gosh! A cracked CD, I would have cried and cried! I did have a photo CD go bad once... but at least back then I used to upload all photos to shutterfly, so I was able to order a new CD.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep everything. I've thought about this as well, but can't bring my self to delete the files. I'm juuuuuuust starting to delete old freebie kits from 10 plus years ago that I've never used due to a variety of reasons (mainly they're too small or not my style). After a month or so I move my page files to my EHD, upload the the jpgs to Persnickety Prints and everything goes to Backblaze.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I keep everything. I've thought about this as well, but can't bring my self to delete the files. I'm juuuuuuust starting to delete old freebie kits from 10 plus years ago that I've never used due to a variety of reasons (mainly they're too small or not my style). After a month or so I move my page files to my EHD, upload the the jpgs to Persnickety Prints and everything goes to Backblaze.
You've, so it seems, got a sound system! I wish I had already deleted old kits off of that EHD. That's another thing they are retrieving and I'm going to be PAYING them to do and I don't even WANT them.
Oh well. Live and learn. And that's assuming they really are accessing my files. It's the pictures I care most about on there. I had my SSD kits on there, too, but I was able to go to my SSD account and get them back. What a chore!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I JUST went through all my old old kits and finally deleted most of the freebies from way back...... I also stuck all old kits that I bought in a separate folder.... thinking maybe I will delete them... but I'm a hoarder of digi.... so who knows if I will.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I JUST went through all my old old kits and finally deleted most of the freebies from way back...... I also stuck all old kits that I bought in a separate folder.... thinking maybe I will delete them... but I'm a hoarder of digi.... so who knows if I will.
I'm the same. Who knows when you might need a bobsled or some other completely random thing that was in a kit you never used but thought - hey I might need a bobsled in a kit some day! It's weird that some of those really old kits have a sentimental attachment. Like when it was all so new and finding something digital that was 'pretty' was so exciting. Now there's so much 'pretty' out there I don't have the time or money to grab it all!!
Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I deleted all those freebies I downloaded in early 2008 when I found digital scrapping. I also have moved a lot of the kits I purchased back then into another folder. There are also folders for designers that have retired but I love their stuff. I put this folder on an EHD and it is also backed up to 2 other EHD's.

And, I have used things from that folder several times! I was looking for a rainbow in Dec 2016 to do a page about putting my dogs down. It was mostly journaling but I wanted a rainbow and in a kit from a retired designer I found what I was looking for. All other rainbows I had just weren't right for the layout I was doing. So, yeah, I'm glad I've kept this stuff.

Edit to add this thought. I did a small book for a cousin's family 8 years ago. I love the cover I made for it. Fast forward to 2020 when I started scrapping more of the photos that pertain to their family with the thought to do a bigger Shutterfly book. Lo and behold, I have more layouts than can fit in a book! So volume 1 is printed and I used that same cover page. I'm halfway through volume 2 and I pulled up the layered file for the original cover page and added the "Volume 2" to it. Both books will have the same covers so will look coherent on their bookshelf.

Last edited by HavaDrPepper; 03-05-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep them until I print, then delete them. Only once in my 16 years of digi-scrapping have I ever gone back more than a month for a layout to fix/grab something, and that was because I lost a photo and it was on the scrapbooking page so I took the layer with the photo, copied it to a new document, saved and then had that photo again. I haven't printed in awhile so I have a lot of them right now, but when I get my pages in the mail I go in and delete all my TIFF files.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I keep them until I print, then delete them. Only once in my 16 years of digi-scrapping have I ever gone back more than a month for a layout to fix/grab something, and that was because I lost a photo and it was on the scrapbooking page so I took the layer with the photo, copied it to a new document, saved and then had that photo again. I haven't printed in awhile so I have a lot of them right now, but when I get my pages in the mail I go in and delete all my TIFF files.
Ah, good to hear that it is working fine for you to get rid of them. Very encouraging!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I keep them for a week, until the next release. That way if someone comments that I made a mistake (like forgetting to erase the template journaling!! yeah I've done that haha) I can go back and edit but otherwise I would never open it again so I toss.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I keep them for a week, until the next release. That way if someone comments that I made a mistake (like forgetting to erase the template journaling!! yeah I've done that haha) I can go back and edit but otherwise I would never open it again so I toss.
Well, you're helping me lean more towards it!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
Well, you're helping me lean more towards it!
if you don't plan on reworking on those psd files I don't see the point of keeping them. I have my final jpg layout and happy with that!

When you talked about being bumped to the next level of payment, was it with Backblaze? I haven't signed up yet but I thought it was unlimited data for the same $60.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
if you don't plan on reworking on those psd files I don't see the point of keeping them. I have my final jpg layout and happy with that!

When you talked about being bumped to the next level of payment, was it with Backblaze? I haven't signed up yet but I thought it was unlimited data for the same $60.
No...that was for the company working on my broken EHD. It was one price for something like half a TB and another price for up to 1 TB then, I think, another price for higher than that.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I only keep the psd or tiff files if I'm waiting to replace a family facebook photo with a high res one. Otherwise I just delete it. Takes up too much space on my hard drive/EHD, and I rarely if ever went back and used them anyway. I save my high res flattened jpeg for printing and that's all I need.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I only keep the psd or tiff files if I'm waiting to replace a family facebook photo with a high res one. Otherwise I just delete it. Takes up too much space on my hard drive/EHD, and I rarely if ever went back and used them anyway. I save my high res flattened jpeg for printing and that's all I need.
Now I'm REALLY leaning towards it. lol Sounds like a number of people are fine with chunking them.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep my psd files. A few times, I have found mistakes I want to go back and fix. I have also modified past pages into new layouts or, for example, I used some Disney layouts I created to make autograph pages. I keep the old psds on an ehd and have them sorted by year. I've also been thinking about converting some books to bound books and it might be handy to have the psds.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
I keep my psd files. A few times, I have found mistakes I want to go back and fix. I have also modified past pages into new layouts or, for example, I used some Disney layouts I created to make autograph pages. I keep the old psds on an ehd and have them sorted by year. I've also been thinking about converting some books to bound books and it might be handy to have the psds.
Are you trying to stop me from leaning? lol Kidding! I'll have to give all this some thought, wait a day or two then think over it again. Maybe throw them on a flashdrive so they aren't completely gone.
Thanks.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've had a few threads on this topic over the years and I've consistently had the same process/answer Space isn't a concern for me, so I never delete them. I've gone back and used them as quick pages and/or templates. I save as TIFF vs. PSD since the they are smaller files. They are saved on the Amazon Cloud and 2 separate EHDs. Older versions are also on DVDs.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
We've had a few threads on this topic over the years and I've consistently had the same process/answer Space isn't a concern for me, so I never delete them. I've gone back and used them as quick pages and/or templates. I save as TIFF vs. PSD since the they are smaller files. They are saved on the Amazon Cloud and 2 separate EHDs. Older versions are also on DVDs.
Sigh. So many varying ways amongst us all. lol
I do plan to have an extra EHD. Need to get this Backblaze backup finished before I do an extra EHD backup. I certainly need to check out the TIFF idea.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Sigh. So many varying ways amongst us all. lol
I do plan to have an extra EHD. Need to get this Backblaze backup finished before I do an extra EHD backup. I certainly need to check out the TIFF idea.
ah yes. I have switched from psd to tiff also when I realized tiff files were smaller and also I like a tiff file because it previews what the template looks like and I trash the jpeg preview instead. Less files looks more organized lol
Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
ah yes. I have switched from psd to tiff also when I realized tiff files were smaller and also I like a tiff file because it previews what the template looks like and I trash the jpeg preview instead. Less files looks more organized lol
Rats! I have chunked so many template TIFF files 'cause I never used them or even looked into what they are. Kind of like page files or the macbook (or whatever they're called) files. Chunk, chunk, chunk. lol Wonder if, when I use a psd file template if I can save it as a tiff. Hmmm. I won't go back through the shoppe account getting all of those tiff downloads that I chunked, but, I could save future ones and resave as tiffs (if that works) any psd ones that I use in the future (from template sets that I've already deleted the tiff.)

About to go see if I can pull up a psd template in PS and save it as tiff....
Old 03-04-2021, 04:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Rats! I have chunked so many template TIFF files 'cause I never used them or even looked into what they are. Kind of like page files or the macbook (or whatever they're called) files. Chunk, chunk, chunk. lol Wonder if, when I use a psd file template if I can save it as a tiff. Hmmm. I won't go back through the shoppe account getting all of those tiff downloads that I chunked, but, I could save future ones and resave as tiffs (if that works) any psd ones that I use in the future (from template sets that I've already deleted the tiff.)

About to go see if I can pull up a psd template in PS and save it as tiff....
Yes you can save as tiff from a psd. I've done that several times on older templates I had saved as psd. Make sure to save all the layers. I think it just comes up with the right selections for you to save. Not sure what they all mean.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't keep any working files of layouts, unless I haven't done the layout yet. Once a layout is scrapped, I delete the working file! I figure, I will never touch up or redo the layout. If I want to redo it, it would be a total redo (different kit, template etc).

The only working files I keep are ones where I pulled the photos onto a new document to scrap (like 100 zoo photos and I pulled out all the zebras or something like that- but didn't scrap them yet). Or if I have started a layout, but haven't finished it yet. OR, for school/event layouts! I have a few where I saved a working layout so that I can just switch out the photos to use the page for one of my other girls.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I don't keep any working files of layouts, unless I haven't done the layout yet. Once a layout is scrapped, I delete the working file! I figure, I will never touch up or redo the layout. If I want to redo it, it would be a total redo (different kit, template etc).
That's how I feel about any older layouts. I would completely start over. But, I don't even know if I'd ever redo. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
I do the same as Trina... only keep until I get them printed. Once I’ve looked them over (mainly looking for typos), I delete the layered files. I keep the jpeg only in case I ever want to print again.
Okay, I'm feeling convinced. For now. Next person who says they keep them will make me rethink. lol
Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do the same as Trina... only keep until I get them printed. Once I’ve looked them over (mainly looking for typos), I delete the layered files. I keep the jpeg only in case I ever want to print again.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I opened a template (psd) and went to save it as TIFF. These are the options that popped up.

Is that what you get when you go to save as TIFF? Are those the options you keep checked?
Old 03-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I opened a template (psd) and went to save it as TIFF. These are the options that popped up.

Is that what you get when you go to save as TIFF? Are those the options you keep checked?
The only different in my saves are the LZW and ZIP that are selected. I have never given this any thought. It works that way.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:26 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I don't save psd files but do save my working pspimage files (same type of file only it is the native format for Paint Shop Pro software). And, my software does not save tiff files as layered files so they are useless to me. I did a test once a long time ago and the same layout created and saved as a PSD from PSE 14? compared to a created layout and saved pspimage file found that my pspimage file was 1/4th the size of the psd file. Cemented my decision to stay with PSP

When organizing my files 9 months ago I did find that I have lost a few of them probably when on an EHD that I hadn't used for awhile and wouldn't work on any computer when I did try to use it. But I have the jpgs so all good there.

Also this past year I did pull up one of my pspimage files to do a new layout. Old layout was of a cousin's son in his Navy uniform. I had the same type of photos for his cousin but had never done the layout. I wanted the layouts to look the same and I no longer have the kit I used. So old layout, replace photos and I'm good to go. Old layout was from maybe 10-12 years ago?
Old 03-04-2021, 05:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Also this past year I did pull up one of my pspimage files to do a new layout. Old layout was of a cousin's son in his Navy uniform. I had the same type of photos for his cousin but had never done the layout. I wanted the layouts to look the same and I no longer have the kit I used. So old layout, replace photos and I'm good to go. Old layout was from maybe 10-12 years ago?
Wow...having the old file came in handy!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Usually I save TIFFs until I print or I'm able to reallylook at the page and make sure there are no errors in my journaling or my dates/locations (I tend to change some info for LOs I post online, so I have to make sure my full-size LOs are correct). But having said that, I still don't save all my LOs. I can remake a page, and I started DSing like 2007/2008: I don't need TIFFs for LOs that are a decade old...I'm not going to print those now, tbh lol, so why save the TIFF?

As for BB: they take care of big files once every 48 hours. Here's info from their website. There's a link on that page to their "How to exclude files" help page, which could help you speed up your backup IF you're comfortable not backing up these PSD files. Oh, and you may already know this, but if you want you can set up BB to email you if your computer or EHD hasn't been backed up in a certain amount of days. That has saved me a few times when I've unplugged an EHD and totally forgot to re-plug it in.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Usually I save TIFFs until I print or I'm able to reallylook at the page and make sure there are no errors in my journaling or my dates/locations (I tend to change some info for LOs I post online, so I have to make sure my full-size LOs are correct). But having said that, I still don't save all my LOs. I can remake a page, and I started DSing like 2007/2008: I don't need TIFFs for LOs that are a decade old...I'm not going to print those now, tbh lol, so why save the TIFF?

As for BB: they take care of big files once every 48 hours. Here's info from their website. There's a link on that page to their "How to exclude files" help page, which could help you speed up your backup IF you're comfortable not backing up these PSD files. Oh, and you may already know this, but if you want you can set up BB to email you if your computer or EHD hasn't been backed up in a certain amount of days. That has saved me a few times when I've unplugged an EHD and totally forgot to re-plug it in.
Thanks for all the information. I'll come back and read through it again this evening. I think I'll just let them do the full backup then decide what I might want to delete. I will certainly want them to email me if the EHD hasn't been backed up in the set number of days.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Another vote for "save until I print." I've been digiscrapping since 2004. That's a LOT of layouts! In the beginning I used to back my psds up on a DVD, but in years of doing that I went back to maybe 2 layouts. It wasn't worth the time or cost of increasing my storage capacity.

Here's why I do save until I print--sometimes as I'm putting a book together I notice I have an error that I want to fix, or I decide to make a second layout for the same event that's similar enough that I start with the first one instead of starting from scratch.

Most of my pages get scrapped and printed chronologically, so once I've printed them I won't revisit that time period. The one exception is vacation books--sometimes I'll use a page in our annual book and also want to use it or a variation of it for a vacation album to be scrapped later. In that case as soon as I finish the layout I copy the jpg and psd into a folder for the vacation book so that I have them if I decide to use them.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Rachel, you seem so well organized! That's great. Thanks for your "vote."

Lea, thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm the minority here- but *whispers* I never save a thing layered.

I treat my digiscrappign like my paper scrapping. Mistakes are my nature & typos etc just make my layouts more 'me' & real. And usually- no one but me ever even notices so why save them?! I have even accidentally saved smaller sizes but they printed out well enough to get the jist so it's fine by me & adds not only less 'stuff' in my storage, but less things to do in my workflow!
Old 03-05-2021, 07:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I think I'm the minority here- but *whispers* I never save a thing layered.

.... not only less 'stuff' in my storage, but less things to do in my workflow!
lol No need to whisper. We won't throw things at you. The "less stuff in storage" really calls to me.

Quote:
- hey I might need a bobsled in a kit some day!
Ha! I had to chuckle at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annet83 View Post
I save my layered files (TIF) untill I get the album printed, so I can still alter stuff if I want to. Once I've printed them, I only save the JPG files.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I’m a saver. ... I may get to the point where I feel safe to delete, but it would make me anxious. Go with your gut.
I, too well, identify with that first comment. lol And the anxious part.

I did, last night, go through and delete the web versions of the layouts except the most recent ones. I also deleted a number of layered files. None of those were within the past couple of months. And I just couldn't get myself to delete some older ones that I had done something particularly "interesting" on. lol So far I haven't felt any anxiety. Now, will suddenly be the time, for the first time, that I "need" to pull up an old layout for something.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:45 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I save my layered files (TIF) untill I get the album printed, so I can still alter stuff if I want to. Once I've printed them, I only save the JPG files.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I’m a saver. I keep all my PSDs and I have gone back and used them. Mostly because I do end up printing some pages more than once, like if I’m making a photo book as a gift for someone. I’ve used several different companies for printing, and every one of those has different “bleeds”, and I like to rework the page according to those dimensions, at least as far as background papers go. I don’t always print my pages in a super timely manner either, so I need to hold on to them for a while anyway. I may get to the point where I feel safe to delete, but it would make me anxious. Go with your gut. During the times I’ve lost data and older pages, I have seen it as an opportunity to make new pages in whatever current style and skill level I have, and I do enjoy that.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I might be an oddball...actually I think Amie is in the same group with me. lol
I don't save PSD/TIFF's at all. When I'm done with a LO I save the high res and the web version and that's it. I have never went back to fix a mistake, I actually don't mind a mistake or two. That's part of life to me. So if I misspelled a word or two. or the button doesn't have a shadow. Oh well.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I might be an oddball...actually I think Amie is in the same group with me. lol
I don't save PSD/TIFF's at all. When I'm done with a LO I save the high res and the web version and that's it. I have never went back to fix a mistake, I actually don't mind a mistake or two. That's part of life to me. So if I misspelled a word or two. or the button doesn't have a shadow. Oh well.
You exude confidence. I like that. lol
Old 03-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default TIFF vs. PSD

I'm confused... I've always scrapped with PSDs, and I've always been able to see previews... it sounds like some people can't see previews with PSD? I am on a Mac if that makes any difference. I must admit, I know nothing about TIFF, sounds like it is a file format I can use in Photoshop CC instead of PSD? Is it significantly smaller?

***Just finished a layout and did a test...
Layered File size:
PSD 185.2 MB
TIFF 101.5 MB

Flat File size:
JPG 11.3 MB
TIFF 24.3

I am kind of amazed... the TIFF is significantly smaller as a layered file. Does it operate exactly the same?

Also, the flat file, why is the TIFF so much bigger? Is it better?

Thanks for the info ladies!

Last edited by TracyBurtt; 03-05-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyBurtt View Post
... it sounds like some people can't see previews with PSD?
I've never been able to see a psd preview just some blue ps icon.
As to the other questions...I have no idea. lol I was testing saving a layout last night and the tiff file was huge compared to the psd file. Then I tried again using some other options: clicking LZW at "image compression" and, I think, ZIP at "layer compression." I think that worked much better. I need to play more to get familiar with it.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyBurtt View Post
I'm confused... I've always scrapped with PSDs, and I've always been able to see previews... it sounds like some people can't see previews with PSD? I am on a Mac if that makes any difference. I must admit, I know nothing about TIFF, sounds like it is a file format I can use in Photoshop CC instead of PSD? Is it significantly smaller?

***Just finished a layout and did a test...
Layered File size:
PSD 185.2 MB
TIFF 101.5 MB

Flat File size:
JPG 11.3 MB
TIFF 24.3

I am kind of amazed... the TIFF is significantly smaller as a layered file. Does it operate exactly the same?

Also, the flat file, why is the TIFF so much bigger? Is it better?

Thanks for the info ladies!
There is really no difference between TIFF and PSD, I've been using TIFFs for years. For flat files, there is no reason to save as a TIFF since the only benefit of a TIFF is that it preserves the layers. Even if there is only 1 layer, it's going to take up more space, so I always save flattered files as a JPG or PNG, depending on what it's being used for. JPGs are typically smaller than PNGs, so I only use PNG if I need it to be on a transparent background. HTH!