Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-03-2021, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you ever have to cover stuff?

Do you ever have a picture but you really want to cover something in the background?

So... mind you, these pics were taken Feb 28th of this year... and our Xmas tree is in the background. Can you tell? I really hope you can't, because I tried my best to remove it. LOL!!!!

Do you slap elements on top of it, blur it? What do you do in a case like this?

Old 03-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I definitely do not notice/see a tree in your pics! Good job on the cover up.

I usually crop it or cover it with elements (if I am feeling really motivated I may remove it in the photo in photoshop - but typically I'm way too lazy for that)
Old 03-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

I didn't notice it at all, Dalis! I usually use elements to cover it up, or crop at least a portion of it out and cover the rest.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucaswvu04 View Post
I definitely do not notice/see a tree in your pics! Good job on the cover up.

I usually crop it or cover it with elements (if I am feeling really motivated I may remove it in the photo in photoshop - but typically I'm way too lazy for that)
This one was tricky because I didn't want to remove hubby from the background. He does so much in the background in our house and I wanted to make sure you could see him there.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorigaud View Post
I didn't notice it at all, Dalis! I usually use elements to cover it up, or crop at least a portion of it out and cover the rest.
You two make me so happy to know it's not noticeable like IN YOUR FACE! btw. the tree is half-way up still. THIS IS A MONSTER tree by our standards and I can't find where hubby put the bag to put it away. LOL!!!! Maybe I should take a few pics and scrap that too! LOL!!!!

Old 03-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I search for a tree in your pick I may be able to find it but not it is not noticeable.

I like big clusters and I can't lie...LOL I also like my spot healing tool. On the Smokey Mt page I fixed the sign. Someone had carved their initials into it near my FIL's head....I fixed it as well as several other blemishes on the sign...

On the bathtub pic I went b/w and and used a big cluster to hide the mess on my bathroom counters around the baby bathtub...LOL You can still see a can of shaving cream but the rest is hiding behind flowers and b/w canvas. LOL

You are not alone my friend. <3

Old 03-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Same as others! Don't notice the tree unless I am fully looking for it!

I sometimes will crop a photo to remove unwanted background, or if using a template, I will size the photo so that the unwanted items are outside the photo spot. If cropping is not an option, I will put a cluster or an element on top of that area of the photo!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:26 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
You two make me so happy to know it's not noticeable like IN YOUR FACE! btw. the tree is half-way up still. THIS IS A MONSTER tree by our standards and I can't find where hubby put the bag to put it away. LOL!!!! Maybe I should take a few pics and scrap that too! LOL!!!!
Yes, scrap this!!!

I couldn't see the tree. (ETA: I just reread the previous sentence! I couldn't see it! I can't believe I missed that misstatement!) Even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have judged you. My nativity is still out. (Whenever I'm in the basement I forget to grab the box that holds the smaller labeled boxes and bubble wrap for each piece.) Plus I bought 4 more pieces for the set because the artist is retiring and this was her last year making it. I need to find a new BIGGER container to hold all the smaller boxes. Who knew Christmas would melt into March because of a packing issue?!

Oh, I rearranged where DS opened his bday gifts last month cuz I wanted to be sure no one could see the Nativity in the background.

Last edited by Tree City; 03-03-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i see no christmas tree

Old 03-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't see a tree even if I look hard! haha

I sometimes blur the background, cover with foliage and flowers or will use the healing tool in Photoshop.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

ROFL We still have our tree up. It’s little. Like 3 ft. No ornaments. The tree is pre-lit. And we like the light it produces. Every evening we turn it on hahah
Old 03-03-2021, 03:35 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

If you hadn't said it was your tree I would have never noticed. I had to LOOK for it.

Our tree got put away the day after Christmas, BUT it's because I was finally tired of it being there. (My girls put it up November 1st). I came home, and ta-da, there it was.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would not have guessed that the elements were there to cover something up! Great job!! I try to photoshop things (or people) out, but if that doesn't work, a well placed element works perfectly.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I did not even notice the tree!!

And yup, I crop the photo or toss some ellies on there or just photoshop it the best I can.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-03-2021, 04:17 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Didn’t notice the tree either! I usually do this when there are unwanted people in the background or if the house is a mess in the background �� I try to crop it out or I cover it with elements as well.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
If I search for a tree in your pick I may be able to find it but not it is not noticeable.

I like big clusters and I can't lie...LOL I also like my spot healing tool. On the Smokey Mt page I fixed the sign. Someone had carved their initials into it near my FIL's head....I fixed it as well as several other blemishes on the sign...

On the bathtub pic I went b/w and and used a big cluster to hide the mess on my bathroom counters around the baby bathtub...LOL You can still see a can of shaving cream but the rest is hiding behind flowers and b/w canvas. LOL

You are not alone my friend. <3

I wouldn't have known about the sign! The bathtub one, I can't look at anything but the adorbs baby!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Same as others! Don't notice the tree unless I am fully looking for it!

I sometimes will crop a photo to remove unwanted background, or if using a template, I will size the photo so that the unwanted items are outside the photo spot. If cropping is not an option, I will put a cluster or an element on top of that area of the photo!
Another cluster fan, here!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Yes, scrap this!!!

I could see the tree. Even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have judged you. My nativity is still out. (Whenever I'm in the basement I forget to grab the box that holds the smaller labeled boxes and bubble wrap for each piece.) Plus I bought 4 more pieces for the set because the artist is retiring and this was her last year making it. I need to find a new BIGGER container to hold all the smaller boxes. Who knew Christmas would melt into March because of a packing issue?!

Oh, I rearranged where DS opened his bday gifts last month cuz I wanted to be sure no one could see the Nativity in the background.
Well Nativity out in your house, tree in mine AND HUGE 3 king's statues. LOL!!!!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I don't see a tree even if I look hard! haha

I sometimes blur the background, cover with foliage and flowers or will use the healing tool in Photoshop.
I never remember of doing the healing tool, sometimes I remember to blur, but this is a 9.5 FT Xmas tree. No healing brush was going to help. LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabobaura View Post
i see no christmas tree
YAY!!!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by armygrl View Post
ROFL We still have our tree up. It’s little. Like 3 ft. No ornaments. The tree is pre-lit. And we like the light it produces. Every evening we turn it on hahah
Now, I want to see your cute little tree!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by annet83 View Post
Didn’t notice the tree either! I usually do this when there are unwanted people in the background or if the house is a mess in the background �� I try to crop it out or I cover it with elements as well.
My house is always a mess, if you look closely you can see my laundry basket and my "DONATE" bag on the floor too. There is only so much I can do in this page. LOL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jo View Post
If you hadn't said it was your tree I would have never noticed. I had to LOOK for it.

Our tree got put away the day after Christmas, BUT it's because I was finally tired of it being there. (My girls put it up November 1st). I came home, and ta-da, there it was.
At least they put it up! We celebrate 3 King's day on Jan 6th... but common it's now MARCH!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I would not have guessed that the elements were there to cover something up! Great job!! I try to photoshop things (or people) out, but if that doesn't work, a well placed element works perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I did not even notice the tree!!

And yup, I crop the photo or toss some ellies on there or just photoshop it the best I can.
I need to remember to use my tools to get items out!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes I'm always covering up things!!
I covered up my dishes in this photo!

And like this one, the photo didn't fit the frame, so I used the clusters to fill in the missing pixels of the photo

So yeah, I'm always covering up stuff no one just realizes it!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't see a tree.

I also don't see a date so I would not be taken aback if I did see a Christmas tree as I associate hockey with being a winter sport & Christmas is, obviously, during our winter.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I need to remember to use my tools to get items out!
A lot of times it's faster to just cover them. LOL
Old 03-03-2021, 07:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I honestly haven't noticed the tree.

Like Kimberly, I also tweak photos, if I need privacy on some signs but I really like the photo, I would blur it or cover it up with clusters or an element like a heart, a button or anything, and I laso like to use black and white when and if needed, and when I want to make sure the water marks on a mirror isn't noticeable or the photo will look a little less messier when it's in black and white.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well, I didn't notice the tree, and if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have thought your elements were trying to cover up anything. When I need to get rid of something, I usually try to edit it out. If that doesn't work, I cover it up with part of another photo, a card, or an element.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I couldn’t see your tree either.

I can only think of one occasion where I have covered something deliberately. My daughter broke up with her boyfriend soon after my 50th birthday party last year. When I scrapped the family photos I was so glad that he was on the end in the back row and a strategically placed flower was all that was needed to eliminate him. Now my other two kids have broken up with their long term partners too (and my son’s girlfriend had two kids) so my photos are pretty much obsolete a year later.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with everyone else--I never would have noticed the tree if I weren't specifically looking for it. Good save! I cover things all the time. I use all the methods mentioned above, depending on the photo and what I need to cover. I also crop close, leaving me as little of the unwanted thing as possible to deal with. I'm more likely to take the time to do big edits on a photo that's special in some way and will be used in more than just 1 scrapbook layout.

My best (worst?) examples aren't in the gallery, but here are a few I found. This photo was taken during a year when all the photos of the 3 kids together looked horribly awkward. This was the best of the bunch, and I wanted to hang it on the wall so I took the time to edit out the bench in the background.

The screen door DD is holding open in the middle photo looked terrible! It was old and dingy. I could have fixed it up digitally, but it wasn't worth the time. I just covered it with the top photo and the cluster and moved on.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I'm with everyone else--I never would have noticed the tree if I weren't specifically looking for it. Good save! I cover things all the time. I use all the methods mentioned above, depending on the photo and what I need to cover. I also crop close, leaving me as little of the unwanted thing as possible to deal with. I'm more likely to take the time to do big edits on a photo that's special in some way and will be used in more than just 1 scrapbook layout.

My best (worst?) examples aren't in the gallery, but here are a few I found. This photo was taken during a year when all the photos of the 3 kids together looked horribly awkward. This was the best of the bunch, and I wanted to hang it on the wall so I took the time to edit out the bench in the background.

The screen door DD is holding open in the middle photo looked terrible! It was old and dingy. I could have fixed it up digitally, but it wasn't worth the time. I just covered it with the top photo and the cluster and moved on.

First of all what bench?

Second, I never thought of covering it with another photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
Well, I didn't notice the tree, and if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have thought your elements were trying to cover up anything. When I need to get rid of something, I usually try to edit it out. If that doesn't work, I cover it up with part of another photo, a card, or an element.
Like I was telling Rachel, never would have thought but it kind of makes 100% total sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGeling View Post
I couldn’t see your tree either.

I can only think of one occasion where I have covered something deliberately. My daughter broke up with her boyfriend soon after my 50th birthday party last year. When I scrapped the family photos I was so glad that he was on the end in the back row and a strategically placed flower was all that was needed to eliminate him. Now my other two kids have broken up with their long term partners too (and my son’s girlfriend had two kids) so my photos are pretty much obsolete a year later.
Oh my Kim, I totally get it! You should 100% do a page w/ that picture and flower on their faces or big NOT circles.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
yes I'm always covering up things!!
I covered up my dishes in this photo!

And like this one, the photo didn't fit the frame, so I used the clusters to fill in the missing pixels of the photo

So yeah, I'm always covering up stuff no one just realizes it!
Oh when I have that problem I sometimes use a journaling card or a pattern paper to put a strip and add a quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I don't see a tree.

I also don't see a date so I would not be taken aback if I did see a Christmas tree as I associate hockey with being a winter sport & Christmas is, obviously, during our winter.
LeeAndra, it's on the top right side of the cluster, I didn't want to make it too obvious in case you could see the tree. LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
I honestly haven't noticed the tree.

Like Kimberly, I also tweak photos, if I need privacy on some signs but I really like the photo, I would blur it or cover it up with clusters or an element like a heart, a button or anything, and I laso like to use black and white when and if needed, and when I want to make sure the water marks on a mirror isn't noticeable or the photo will look a little less messier when it's in black and white.
OMG, brilliant w/ the b/w for the mirror or window marks! I have tons of dog noses on my windows all the time.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Lol, your tree being up definitely deserves it's own layout!! I didn't see it until I was searching for it!
(But I'm a little jealous...on Friday night we were out picking up dinner & it was snowing the biggest, fluffiest snowflakes and I said I wished our tree was still up because it would have felt so cozy!)

Most notably, I made my mom a calendar with pictures of my kids & one of them was from the big gas crater when we lived in Turkmenistan. My dad was visiting and he was in all of the pictures, but my parents are divorced, so I just tucked him behind some flowers, lol...sorry, Dad!
Old 03-06-2021, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My house is always a mess, if you look closely you can see my laundry basket and my "DONATE" bag on the floor too. There is only so much I can do in this page. LOL!!!!
Gurrrrrl, this is the story of my life. I try to take pics in portrait mode if we're in the kitchen to make some of our clutter less noticeable. Or change angles or zoom in to get less background stuff. I'm all for cropping and adding elements over stuff I want to hide!

And I looked hard and I still can't see your tree.

I was so proud of myself for not forgetting any decorations when I was putting Christmas away but I still have a box of ornaments in the living room I keep forgetting to take downstairs and just today I brought in the 6 rolls of wrapping paper I bought on sale that have been riding around in my car for 2 months. <sigh>
Old 03-07-2021, 02:25 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My biggest bug bear is video ... I know I should record the kids more but I hate how messy our place gets and there is no hiding in video. At least with photos there are ways to hide it either with effects or placing things over it when scrapping. As for the Christmas tree - ours seems to stay up half the year every year - we have "elves" that visit while the tree is up and my girls always begged to keep the tree up longer so they'd stay for their next big event.... starting school or holidays or easter etc. Then when covid hit they said the elves might die if they travel so they had to stay with us. It won't be long until they no longer believe in all that, so I thought I might as well indulge them.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yup, we've all done it! Great cover up job. I do the same thing, use elements to hide background "noise", usually
Old 03-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Lol, your tree being up definitely deserves it's own layout!! I didn't see it until I was searching for it!
(But I'm a little jealous...on Friday night we were out picking up dinner & it was snowing the biggest, fluffiest snowflakes and I said I wished our tree was still up because it would have felt so cozy!)

Most notably, I made my mom a calendar with pictures of my kids & one of them was from the big gas crater when we lived in Turkmenistan. My dad was visiting and he was in all of the pictures, but my parents are divorced, so I just tucked him behind some flowers, lol...sorry, Dad!
LOL!!!!! you hid dad under the flowers. You see that's funny!

Old 03-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
Gurrrrrl, this is the story of my life. I try to take pics in portrait mode if we're in the kitchen to make some of our clutter less noticeable. Or change angles or zoom in to get less background stuff. I'm all for cropping and adding elements over stuff I want to hide!

And I looked hard and I still can't see your tree.

I was so proud of myself for not forgetting any decorations when I was putting Christmas away but I still have a box of ornaments in the living room I keep forgetting to take downstairs and just today I brought in the 6 rolls of wrapping paper I bought on sale that have been riding around in my car for 2 months. <sigh>
What is it about buying holiday papers in clearance and feeling like a million bucks! This year I found only 1 roll I liked in sale, but again I didn't go searching for them like previous years. I could wrap my house if there was a need, yep, I have enough paper.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post
My biggest bug bear is video ... I know I should record the kids more but I hate how messy our place gets and there is no hiding in video. At least with photos there are ways to hide it either with effects or placing things over it when scrapping. As for the Christmas tree - ours seems to stay up half the year every year - we have "elves" that visit while the tree is up and my girls always begged to keep the tree up longer so they'd stay for their next big event.... starting school or holidays or easter etc. Then when covid hit they said the elves might die if they travel so they had to stay with us. It won't be long until they no longer believe in all that, so I thought I might as well indulge them.
I love those little white lies! let the elves do it!

Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Yup, we've all done it! Great cover up job. I do the same thing, use elements to hide background "noise", usually
It's like cleaning up when I was a teenager, all into the closet. LOL!!!