Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Back to school time already?

Does anyone else feel like.... your kids just got out of school for Summer break? I swear I just blinked and now it is time to gear up to go back.

I know it is older people who say that times flies.... so I guess I am officially old because time is just zooming by.

I actually feel bad for my girls. I wish they had more time to enjoy the break. We do have several activities planned for the fall, but in the meantime it is homework and early mornings for them.

Just curious if others are feeling that Summer was a quick hot blur.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

YES!! My boys' baseball goes well into the summer and now my oldest son and my daughter are training for cross country, too, so they really don't get much of a break. We are going on vacation from Aug. 14-21, and of course, they are missing the first 'official' week of practice because the school decided just recently to start before the Labor Day holiday which they have never done. Ughh! As soon as we get back, it will practically be time for school to start. My daughter is a senior going to full-day CTC for culinary arts, and we had to order her (very expensive!) uniforms back in June and it seems like that was just yesterday!

Although, I have already told my boys if they make masks mandatory, I'm going to let them do virtual learning or homeschool, because I'm just over it. They haven't made a final decision on that yet, so we are holding off on even going crazy buying all the school supplies. My daughter will go to CTC regardless, but I am praying that they don' make them wear a mask, especially since she had her vaccine. But that's a whole other conversation....

And I agree, time does fly! I can't believe I have a senior, much less that I'm old enough to even have one!!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm old too. My first born is going off to college in less than two weeks, and my baby is a senior in high school. Weren't we just watching Elmo together?
Old 08-05-2021, 07:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kiddos don't go back until Sept 1 (their last day was June 29th), I'm in denial that it is coming up quick!

Old 08-05-2021, 09:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Since the kids were in virtual school from March 2020 to May 2021, it's felt like "summer" for the last 18 months! We are all so excited to be able to go back to school in the next couple weeks.

We moved over the summer so they are starting new schools in a new school district and taking a bus to school for the first time in their lives so there is lots of new & exciting school-related things.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We spent our summer in the States being SO. LAZY.

We just got back to our city, and we started school this past Wednesday. I like an early start. Honestly, I would be down with a six week summer break & two week breaks at the quarters.

We will be online for the forseeable future, which I really hate, but what can you do?
Old 08-05-2021, 11:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's been such a weird few years. My kids were all virtual from March 2020-March 2021, so they didn't get a lot of "real" school last year. My oldest, who is going to be a HS senior this year, chose to stay virtual all last year. So even though it feels like summer flew and I'm not ready to go back, my kids are more ready this year than they usually are. Even though we'll be masked (which I'm glad about), this year is going to feel a lot more normal to them than last spring, when the MS and HS only had half their students there in person and kids were only in person 2 or 4 days.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have one week to get ready to go back to school. I am not ready. It seems like I blink and I've got a dozen emails to deal with and supplies to buy. Didn't summer just start?

I have a senior, a sophomore, and a seventh grader. No crayons on the school supply lists this year. It's kinda weird.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think the summer has flown by too. My kid goes back next week, he's the teacher, and I have been busy helping him with this classroom, supplies and his class library. Getting ready for school is still expensive for this momma. I am always so surprised at how much they expect the teachers to supply on their own. Crazy.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thankfully we have about another month- but since our travel softball season just ended- I feel like summer JUST started! We've barely been out to the lake house & done any of our 'normal' summer activities. We're going to try to cram a bunch in in the next few weeks. But yes- it has gone by fast!

(whispers) Don't tell my children, but this is the first summer that I actually enjoyed having them home all day! Usually I'm ready for them to go back to school, but they are turning into such awesome people it's kinda fun to spend all day with them
Old 08-06-2021, 12:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastml View Post
I have a senior, a sophomore, and a seventh grader. No crayons on the school supply lists this year. It's kinda weird.
I have the same 3 grades this year. It's my first year not having any kids in the elementary school since my senior started kindergarten!
Old 08-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for the responses. It is good to read that others are also feeling like Summer was a blur.

Life has certainly been different since March of 2020. The virtual school, working from home and not the office, the lockdown, face masks, limited travel and the overall social distancing part. It will be good for the girls to see their friends and have a normal schedule, but I wish we had another month or so before that has to start. The break part didn't last long enough for me, or them for that matter. They aren't excited Summer is over.

So I suppose we blink and it will be Christmas...lol... Oh goodness I'm not ready for that either!!!!... Time needs to relax and sloooooooooooooooow down.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It has definitely been a quick summer! I felt we didn't have a lot of plans going into it, but we were still busy! My girls all go back at different times- Oldest the 26th Community College, 2nd oldest the 28th going away to College 2 hours away, and the youngest 2 start on Aug 30th.

We were virtual from March 2020 til March 2021. So even though they finished the year hybrid, it just didn't seem the same. We are so thankful that as of now, they are stating masks are optional for everywhere but the bus! My oldest's Community College is still online though. We've joked that she will be a Junior before she even steps foot on college campus!
Old 08-12-2021, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Summer has absolutely flown by! Our typical summer break was 3 weeks shorter this year because we went back so late last year due to Covid. I worked the first month of summer and I had college classes until the end of July so I've only had a short break and now it is time to go back.

I go back to work on Monday for in-service. Students go back on Thursday for a half day and then a full day on Friday. I'm dragging my feet soooo bad. I don't want to go back! I always like work once I get in there and get in the groove but it is the going back that gets me. I never feel like I got enough done over the break, rested enough, relaxed enough, or made enough memories.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am having mixed feelings. I think my child needs to go back to school especially since she stayed home last year.... on the other hand high school is a scary place!!!!!!!!!! I am not sure I am ready!

Old 08-12-2021, 11:16 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Yes, it absolutely FLEW by! My son is a Junior this year, and I just can't believe it! He started school on Tues 8/10. I'm glad that they are still going in person, but I'm afraid that this may change as our area has had a huge uptick in hospitalizations.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:50 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My kiddo started on the 10th. He had 40ish days of summer ����*♀️ And then my husband tested + for Covid so we are back to homeschooling this week. I am definitely looking forward to him going back soon!
Old 08-13-2021, 10:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

School got out the middle of June due to getting a later start from Covid. However we've been moving, getting settled, court dates, and what not since that it feels like there really wasn't a summer vacation especially with the kiddos going to their father's in a different state. They are going to get back next week and I'll have a week to get them uniform clothes shopping (yeah just found that out this week) and school supplies just in time for them to start school. It seems like this summer has been rush, rush, rush....I'd like the kids to go back to school to make new friends in this new area, but I would also like some time summer time to just veg and do nothing