Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217
Default Getting a child to enjoy reading

Just posted this on Facebook figure i would post here too

I am at a loss on how to get my kid to read. He's in second grade and is reading is right at the level it needs to be at for starting third grade but for the life of me I can't get him to read or even enjoy it. I mention the word reading and he goes no I don't want to read. Any tips would be helpful

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

FInding books that really really interest him! Lily is in 5th grade and what finally got her love of reading going was finding a book/series that really got her interested!

Take trips to the library or bookstores and just try out books until he finds one he loves!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Take him to the library regularly. Let him read anything he wants, including comics etc. Be a reading role model, the more he sees you reading and enjoying it the better. Read to him, let's say he has to read for 15 or 20 minutes as required for school, then you match the time and read him a book.

Both my girls loved books as small children and then lost interest once they were in school and it became work. However it's come full circle, for example my oldest discovered Little Women and Stephen King and it was like a switch flipped and she's always reading something now. She's really broadened her horizons as well. Same thing with my ten year old.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My ideas...

1) Even though he can read himself, don't stop reading to him.
2) Although 2nd graders are sometimes at a reading level that is ready for chapter books (as it sounds like your son is), kiddos can still find them intimidating. If that is your boy, look for less-dense text options; graphic novels, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc. If he has a younger sibling, have him read to them. Sometimes they just need a excuse to stick to the shorter storybooks - that's okay.
3) Reading doesn't have to be a book. Try to find sneaky ways to get him to read that isn't structured reading time; the backs of cereal boxes, sports page of a newspaper, a Lego magazine, the directions to putting together a model, a recipe while he helps in the kitchen, etc.

Good luck! I know it isn't always easy.

Last edited by Misty Cato; 02-02-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristin: I have tried that and didn't work so well he loves spongebob, anything lego dreadful but right now its currently that dreaded minecraft lol.

I have tried him reading a page then me a page and it has been working somewhat a part of me just wishes he enjoyed independent reading. I love reading I could sit and read a book all day if i could lol.

We go to the library couple times a month. I love reading to him, I read the whole captain underpants series to him and he loved that, he actually was excited to go to bed( thats when i would read it)

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.

Last edited by haydensmommy217; 02-02-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yes, I forgot my favorite ... the bribe. Read the books and we have a fun movie night watching the movie. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, Chronicles of Narnia, Holes, Where the Red Fern Grows ...
Old 02-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

does he have a hard time focusing on what he is reading? Is he reading and understanding/ paying attention to what is going on or does his mind wander as he reads?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Don't force the issue. If he's reading on level and you encourage him to read and read to him, he's fine. Saying he doesn't like reading might just be his way of controlling his environment and exerting himself as an individual. A desire to read may grow in him. However, if he's "forced" to do reading time this could back fire. For the past TWO years my youngest (now in 3rd) told us he hated reading, but we still encouraged him to read and read with him (I would read a page and he would read a page). We never made his HATRED of reading a big deal but down-played it and focused on books he DID like (Non-fiction space and rocks - Fiction: How to Train Your Dragon). About a month ago, he began reading on his own! And I haven't heard the dreaded, I hate reading.

I really tried everything, but it seems time and no pressure are what worked for us. It may work for you as well!

Penny
Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

read to him...everynight! and have his eyes checked often...my now 15 year old loved the books read to him, but would not read himself...at 10 we had a new eye doc, and he had some issues with his eyes poppin up and down on lines.
but that is all corrected and he devours books...his is the light on at 2am, glow under the door...and mom opening the door and trying to be angry...but I love books...

Living life to the fullest!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristin: I should have mentioned he has ADHD.

Penny: He does really love it when I read a page and then he reads a page. I read to him every night before bed. I guess I'd just to see him enjoy reading and doing it on his on sitting either on the couch or in bed and just read, maybe in time

Anne: He has had his eyes check so far still has good eye sight.

Misty: Will have to try that.

Proudly Creating For:

Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I go out of my way to get biscuit books for my son because even though they're easy for him, he loves them and get them reading. I figure even if it's an easy for him book, at least he's reading! He's in kindy and I'm not sure if he's reading at a level typical for his age or not. He's got a communication disorder and also has ADHD so I wasn't expecting him to be reading any time soon because of it, so I'm just happy he's reading! I feel you though, if he doesn't like the book, he won't read

Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So does my son Adrienne, he has articulation something. He was diagnosed when he was 4. Maybe that could be a factor will asks his teacher in the A.M

Proudly Creating For:

Old 02-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is what I did.

1) I didn't make it a big deal that he didn't "like" reading.

2) I let him stay up an extra 30 minutes at night as long as he was reading.

3) I got him a subscription to Far Faria on iPad, so he has total control over what he reads.

4) I let him read the worst books ever, Captain Underpants.

And now he's in 3rd grade, and he loves reading, even good books, though Captain Underpants is still his favorite.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ooh... I second the reading with him... my son, six, is going through a phase that he isn't into books like he once was. Everything is "boring" to him... he will not read fiction books, only wants non-fiction. So I'll read to him a fiction books and go over the top with accents and sound effects... really get him into it... and then he gets excited about it and wants to read it again when I walk away... so far that has been helping. however, my son can be a bit old man like... he just came to me tonight and told me we had to read the next two chapters in our Story of the World history book... so, my reading might have been too successful...

Another thing that helped me was using this SL... I created it to help Jake through his reading slump... he likes filling out the charts and putting the book plates in his favorite books and then "checking out" the books like a library...

Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will have to try that Rebecca

Proudly Creating For:

Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think there could be a few things going on. If he has ADHD and a speech disorder, he could be finding reading hard now that he's moving into longer, more complex books. (I don't know what his disorder is, but reading problems do go along with some speech disorders. My son has childhood apraxia of speech, and a lot of apraxic kids have reading issues.) My son with ADHD and apraxia (and high functioning autism) is in 2nd grade now. He's reading on grade level and decodes very well, but his reading comprehension isn't at as high a level as his decoding. He prefers picture books to chapter books, and the few chapter books he has read are things like Cam Jansen and Geronimo Stinton (Stilton?) that are still picture-heavy.

On the flip side of the coin, it might be the opposite problem. My oldest, who is in 4th now, was always on or above grade level in reading but hated to read in his free time. Around the end of 2nd grade that changed on its own because that's when his reading ability finally caught up with his imagination. The books for his reading level before then just didn't interest him even if they had characters he liked. He loves to read now, but he's still very picky about what he'll read.

Good luck-I hope you figure it out or time works its magic and he starts loving reading!

Last edited by rach3975; 02-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Rachel your second grader sounds just like my second grader identically, he is also on the spectrum too. just so hard finding books his level that have lots a pictures. He also has trouble with the comprehension too. Is there any other books you would recommend?

Proudly Creating For:

Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son has HFA as well and a very low reading comprehension. I so feel your pain! I've been so worried about his reading too. hugs

Old 02-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydensmommy217 View Post
Is there any other books you would recommend?
I wish there were! I haven't found too many chapter books with lots of pictures either. The one other line of books that's good for the picture book to chapter book transition is the DK Readers Level 4 line. For now, I'm not pushing it. We have some of the transition books around if he wants them, but he's happier reading the picture books so we let him.

Ben tends to like funny picture books. Some of his favorites that are great for older kids are the Chester books by Melanie Watt, the Pigeon books by Mo Willems, Stuck, A Is For Musk Ox, Muncha, Muncha, Muncha, E-mergency, If I Built a Car, and anything by Doctor Seuss.

Last edited by rach3975; 02-03-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Rachel, I will look these over

Proudly Creating For:

Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

You all are amazing. I am in the same boat as Hailey. I have a bright 2nd grader who has no interest in reading. There are so many great ideas here.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Just echoing what so many others have said. I have 3 adult children, an 8 year old and a 10 year old. My second grader is just starting to read for pleasure. My 10 year old has fully embraced it finally in the last few months.

Here's what has worked for us: 1) read to them every night or encourage them to read to you or another. 2) try different book genres because different kids like different things. 3) lights on after bedtime for 30 minutes IF reading/ 4) we didn't force the issue (except for school assignments of course) but just kept offering, encouraging, and reading every night before bed. I was SO happy that it finally "took" for my fourth grader this year. I think second grade just might not quite be old enough for my 8 year old to read at a high enough level to read books with truly decent storylines on her own. My 10 year old is now obsessed with Lemony Snickett . Best of luck! (Oh, all three of my older kids are voracious readers, so I somehow did something right ).

I'm currently worried about the fact that my older kids saw me reading all the time. Books everywhere in the house. But now I only read on my phone (nook app) and so I worry without them seeing me read all the time (not realizing that I'm reading books on my phone) that they won't pick it up.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My son is 5 so not reading on his own yet, but I've read to him every night before bed since he was 1. Now we also take a little time to talk about what we read each night. If it's a chapter book we might make predictions as to what will happen in the next chapter, talk about a the characters, or about something that happend in our life that is similar to events in the book. It's not a long talk each time and not a "test". But talking about what you've read is one of the best ways to increase reading comprehension and the ability to "read between the lines". Both of which make reading a lot more fun.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I honestly don't know that you can make him like it, not everyone does. My son will only read books about baseball - if I'm lucky another sport. My husband doesn't like to read either so I figure that's just something they have in common. My daughter and I always have book - or three - going.

Last edited by crecia27; 02-03-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 7yo is an excellent reader but doesn't enjoy it. He likes if I read to him, so that is what I do most of the time. I don't want to make him dislike reading or develop negative associations with it. I do check out the books where I read a page and he reads a page, and he does fine with them, even though they are below his reading level.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My adult daughter reminded me recently that I used to bribe her to read when she got to the third grade and suddenly stopped enjoying reading. I think she stopped because the material got harder. She said I paid her $1.00 for each chapter book (after she told me what it was about) and $.50 for easier books. Apparently it phased itself out naturally as her skill level improved and she forgot to ask for her compensation. I don't know if that would help with a child with learning or speech impediments, but it might be worth a try. Some kids are more motivated by bribery than others! Good luck.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter has ADD and was diagnosed in 2nd grade. I have found that she really doesn't enjoy reading at all and would definiteyl prefer to read below level books as compared to those in her grade level. Even though she is more than capable.

I have found that the ADD plays a big part in this. While she does take medication the later in the day she tries to read the harder it is for her. So we do computer games that involve reading, she likes the Nat Geo fact books (not a lot of continuous reading), sports magazines, smaller chapter books, etc. I also found that by talking to her teachers we were able to find a plan that worked. The teacher created a "Reading Club" (like a book club) and would put kids of the same level that had similar interests and ability to read for certain lengthly of time together in little groups. The groups would pick a book and they would all read together a certain amount of pages each day. Sometimes they would take turns reading outloud or they would read by themselves in the room. Then they would meet and talk about the book. That really helped her to want to read the books to be able to participate.

I also find that when we have time for her to read in the morning, even on the way to school, or on weekend mornings that is a whole lot better for her. Anything after 5 is a fight to keep her focus and I would rather deal with that than put her on higher strength or extended medication as she was not growing and lost a lot of weight on some of the ADD drugs.

I would definitely talk to the teacher if your child is not homeschooled. To see what they recommend and how the two of you can work together to build a future reading lover.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Not every one likes to read, especially kids. If his reading level is appropriate for his grade, it's not really necessary to intervene. I didn't like reading as a child, but now I'm a very advid reader. It never affected my ability to excel in school.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's interesting how many of you have mentioned that your kids who dislike reading also struggle with ADD/ADHD. I've wondered if my 7yo has the inattentive form of ADHD. Will have to look more into this ...