Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Random Topic...

Random topic alert!!

So we live in military housing and I'm sitting here pondering the way they did the lighting in my house. The living room is a rectangular room. If you broke the room down in fourths across the longer edge of the room, the light is in the first fourth and it's a small one, so there is essentially no light on the other end of the room.

I tend to do a lot of my rock painting (with paint pens) in this room and there's never enough light! I'm constantly pondering why this room has such a tiny light and why it's all the way on one side.

Do you have something weird in your house that makes you wonder why it was built that way?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our house is a bungalow style (the upstairs is all one room). The house is built so that the door to the upstairs would be at the bottom of the stairs. If the door was opened, it would cover the entry to the kitchen. (which at some point in it's life was made to have a door too). Some of the houses in our neighborhood (there are only 2 styles of houses), have a partial door at the bottom of the stairs. Weird! We don't have a door there at all, so the upstairs has the least amount of privacy.

Our linen closet door is a special size (we'd love to replace it, but we can't find a door to fit the space). We would have to get one special ordered or cut down another door to place there!

Our porch stairs don't have any railing on them. Everyone else in the neighborhood has a railing but not us!

We've lived in this house for 18 years! We still don't have a railing on the front porch stairs, we still have the original linen closet door, and we still don't have a door to our upstairs!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
Random topic alert!!

So we live in military housing and I'm sitting here pondering the way they did the lighting in my house. The living room is a rectangular room. If you broke the room down in fourths across the longer edge of the room, the light is in the first fourth and it's a small one, so there is essentially no light on the other end of the room.

I tend to do a lot of my rock painting (with paint pens) in this room and there's never enough light! I'm constantly pondering why this room has such a tiny light and why it's all the way on one side.

Do you have something weird in your house that makes you wonder why it was built that way?
Our living room only has an overhead light with the ceiling fan (off to the side of the room). But we have lamps in other places in the room. That's probably what they intended for you. Is the single light placed over where you have a table or near a fireplace or something that would be a centerpiece of the room?
Old 04-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Our living room only has an overhead light with the ceiling fan (off to the side of the room). But we have lamps in other places in the room. That's probably what they intended for you. Is the single light placed over where you have a table or near a fireplace or something that would be a centerpiece of the room?
Yes we have two lamps in the room to add light. And now the placement of the light seems totally random. The only thing I can think of, was that it was off the side so that someone could put a TV on the other side without getting glare.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our house at Fort Drum was that way. We had a LONG room and living room with a bay window at the end. WHEN the sun was shining, that end of the house was well lit. But when it was overcast (ie: snowing), it was always dark there as there was ONE light on the opposite side of the room. We ended up buying light poles (I don't know what they are called) and placed them in the corners by the window so we had light, especially at night.

In our current home, we have this huge entry way with one light (chandelier) above the entry way door. The rest of the room--nothing. During the day with the light coming in from the sun, it's great. In fact, it gets quite warm in there from too much sunlight! At night, it's DARK in there. We originally had our dining room table out there, but after a week, we said no way! Now we just have lamps that are set to timers that go off when it gets dark.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 04-11-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Our house is a bungalow style (the upstairs is all one room). The house is built so that the door to the upstairs would be at the bottom of the stairs. If the door was opened, it would cover the entry to the kitchen. (which at some point in it's life was made to have a door too). Some of the houses in our neighborhood (there are only 2 styles of houses), have a partial door at the bottom of the stairs. Weird! We don't have a door there at all, so the upstairs has the least amount of privacy.
I never noticed it was built to have a door there!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Seems like lighting issues are common! I think our strangeness might be due to DIYers who lived here at some point rather than the way the house was planned and built. The second of these we've had fixed, but the first we just have to live with.

We have a CFC outlet (I may be calling it the wrong thing--one of the ones with 2 buttons that shuts and needs to be reset periodically) in the kitchen. When it shuts off, it also shuts an outlet in the family room, all the way across the house.

We have a light switch in our room that doesn't do anything; maybe it's hooked up to an outlet behind furniture that we don't use, but it doesn't control the overhead light. However, when this light switch in our second floor master bedroom is in the off position, our garage door stops working--the garage that's all the way across the house on the first floor.

In both cases, it took us a little while to figure out why our computer and garage door randomly stopped working sometimes and then came back on later just as randomly!

We also have non-standard sized bifold doors on all our closets. I don't know if this was always an unusual size or if it was standard when the house was built (40 years ago) and has since fallen out of favor. Either way, we're about to replace the ones on the first floor and will need to have them custom made.

Last edited by rach3975; 04-11-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

OT- But we like to rock paint too! Does your town have a Facebook Group? We hide them all over town, find and re-hide My Kiddos love it!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our living room is like that, too...with lights on one side of the room.
Our kitchen has 2 tall, narrow cabinets (like for baking sheets, cutting boards, etc) on either side of the sink. The open on the wrong sides (there aren't handles), and so I'm always pulling on the side I think "should" open and breaking my nails!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our house was full of weird when we moved in, we got on top of it right away for one there were NO ceiling lights anywhere but the kitchen and game room. I have to have overhead lighting so we added lighting within days. Our garage door had no service entry, no big deal to most but my front door is clear up a long walkway and who wants to make close friends/ Family deal with that. We moved in in the winter it was a pita to lift the garage door everytime you needed to go out at that end of the house. We decided to add a service door and there was only one workable spot, and SERIOUSLY there was already a header there for the door when we busted into the wall... wt?! Our house was built in the 70’s and remodeled and built into twice so I could go on and on lol it went from 1500 sf to over 4000.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The house we just sold had a weird dining room light. It didn't have a switch but instead it was a pull chain. It wasn't centered in the room and they hung it with a hook so it would be more centered but it really wasn't centered at all. It bugged me for as long as we lived there.

It was an old house built in 1908 and it had been quickly redone for resale with a crap job. My husband did his best to give it some character and I'm so proud of what he's done. But the one thing really bothering was the only bathroom of the house you had to walk through the downstairs bedroom to go to. Not practical at all so it was our office or playroom.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our current place only has weirdness in the lack of lighting in the large closets- the laundry closet has no light, same with the deep walk in storage. Otherwise its good, but it's only 18 months old. We are getting ready to move soon too so we will see what quirks we find.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One one out of the four bedrooms has a bi-fold closet door that is behind the door to the room. My daughter never closes her closet door, and I constantly bang into the closet door when entering the room. It irks me.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The people that built our house opted to not have an island in the kitchen so there is the huge empty space right in the middle of our kitchen. Just dumb. That would have been an option that I would have paid for, for sure.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
The people that built our house opted to not have an island in the kitchen so there is the huge empty space right in the middle of our kitchen. Just dumb. That would have been an option that I would have paid for, for sure.
We also have a dance floor in our kitchen. It hurts because there is such little counter space, but I don't think it's big enough for an island.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
We also have a dance floor in our kitchen. It hurts because there is such little counter space, but I don't think it's big enough for an island.
You guys that are lacking space for a big island but with tons of room nonetheless should consider some sort of butcher block on wheels. That's what I have and love it. IKEA also has these premade islands.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I never noticed it was built to have a door there!
There are "door" ways all over the house! I'll have to point them out to you the next time you are in town!
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
LOL

We built ourselves (like literally except the sheetrock my husband did) and my stupid closet is stupid. Stupid set up, stupid where the breaker box is , just stupid. I don't even know why he did that.

And the lighting in my bathroom. I go in the kitchen to do my makeup thats how wrong it is. Lol.

I can't even be mad at the "idiot that thought that was a good idea" because he probably asked me