Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Photos from the Internet in Scrapping

How do you guys feel about using photos from the Internet in your scrapping? Like photos on a TV/Movie website, Travel photos on Wikipedia, etc.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I guess this is completely subjective, but I scrap for my family...so I would not use them unless I was doing like... fave books or movies or something maybe, but I have not yet. I think its weird hehe, but to each his own right?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use a lot of stills from our favorite tv shows on pages like when I'm doing a favorites page, but otherwise I usually don't or make a photoless page instead.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have debated this myself on more than one occasion. As long as you aren't taking them from a photographer's gallery, it seems ok to me. I use them when doing favorite layouts or AAM layouts.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I have used them and will use them again, I'm sure.

I mean, chances are, I'll never meet my favorite stars to get pictures with them.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I have for favorites pages, as well as for some travel layouts. When my parents divorced, they split the photo albums, and I've had no contact with my dad for about 20 years, so I'm out of luck on some of our vacation photos. I have gotten some free use photos from Stock Exchange to use on layouts of childhood vacations.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm conflicted about it, and I decide on a case by case basis. I don't take photos from an individual photographer (pro or otherwise, including random blogs by everyday people). For something put out for promotional purposes--movie posters, travel photos with no credit given, television stills, etc--I do it if I can't find an alternative I can photograph myself.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used them before for some of my travel layouts, for example, I used some stock photos from Fantasmic at Disneyland because the photos I took were awful. I did a layout about the show and I wanted some photos to represent how incredible the show was.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done favorite movie pages, where I use Google images search.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As long as the photo is not stolen and that the story I tell is truely mine, I'm ok with using them in theory, yet I've only used stock photos for stars or place I haven't been to (New York, for example, for a 9/11 LO).

Signature created using "To The Moon And Back" by Amanda Yi & Meghan Mullens
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The only time I used photos that weren't mine, was for my scrapping for other business... I needed examples for wedding and babies that wasn't just of mine. haha... however I did purchase the rights to those.

For general scrapping... it's your scrapbook and if you aren't going to publish the layout with the image on it, I'm okay with it... I personally wouldn't even put it in the gallery since with the explosion of pinterest, your not sure who will see/where that layout will end up... That is why I'm a fan of the photoless layouts... haha
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

At first I thought this was going to be about thoughts on stock photography use in scrapping.

I have used stills from TV shows once in a faves layout I did about myself and my fav shows. I honestly think it looks a little weird on the page, I don't know why. I love just using my own photography most - because it is most special to my family.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Other than using photos of movie titles (and recently, an image of Barbie) I really avoid using images from the web. Unless you're getting full resolution images from a stock photo website, the ones you'll find on the web are only 72 dpi and will often be very small images when you put them in your layouts (which should be 300 dpi for print). If you enlarge web images to fit on a layout they will be blurry and look kind of yuck.

And, like others have said, I prefer my pages to include photos I've taken myself. But I can totally see why it would be nice to have a picture of a place you want to visit (and haven't photographed yourself) or a celebrity photo for an AAM page.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I do have my own starbucks pictures, but I've used their logo on pages, too. I post in the galleries, but I'm not using them for commercial use, kwim? And I would think they would love the free advertisement they get from little ol' me, lol!!!!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

The only time I do is when I have totally screwed up my photos from something or I don't have something anymore, I.e. old toys, etc.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't normally use images from the internet, because they are all copyrighted and it's a violation to just take them and use them. I did take some from the opening games and use them on my Project Life pages last week. I'm not proud of it by any means and kept the pictures teeny-tiny, but they are there:

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Occasionally I will take a random photo from the interneet....like I was doing a layout about Florida and the "seasoons" hot, hotteer, hottest LOL. So I found a photo online of the sun that I felt portrayed a really hot day well. I would never include that layout for submission to a magazine or contest because the photo waas not mine. For the most part though I only use my own photos or photos from someone I know.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

This is definitely an interesting topic. I'm trying to think of layouts I've done where I've used a photo that wasn't my own. I think I've only done it twice. One of my LOs is about a conversation between my daughter and I that involves the movie Tangled. I did use a still from the movie in that LO. The other time was when I used a small picture of a flowering tree for symbolism. I've recently been thinking about doing a celebrity crush LO, but now I'm thinking twice about it. lol

Can I tell you what really weirds me out? When people use stock photos of kids off the internet and then scrap a layout like it's their own kid. I dunno. I try not to be too judgmental when I see layouts like that because I've never talked to someone who does it to hear their rationale, but it does totally weird me out. I remember a while back I discovered a scrapper who had the most beautiful layouts. I was about to start following her gallery when I realized….those aren't her kids! And I don't think they were kids of a friend or family member either. Honestly, I lost interest in her gallery after that.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have done it before with promotional photos from the Web for a 'favorites' page abt TV shows, movies, bands, etc etc.

I don't with stock photos, random kid photos, etc.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

like many of you all - i've used pictures from the web for favorites LOs, different cities, celebrities, etc - i have no problem with that and am sure i will do it again i doubt i would ever do a page using a random child or similar though - that feels weird to me.

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana View Post
like many of you all - i've used pictures from the web for favorites LOs, different cities, celebrities, etc - i have no problem with that and am sure i will do it again i doubt i would ever do a page using a random child or similar though - that feels weird to me.
I agree with Dana.

I think only times I have, have been when I had an assignment and needed to do a TV/Movie/book page. In general I go photo less and just make lists...but I know there have been a couple times I have used images...like TV shows and stuff.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use them quite often on my layouts Besides TV shows or movies, I am into Kpop and have also used stock photos of places or objects. I actually wrote a tiny rant about the use of them on my blog For me, even if the photo isn't mine, the creativity and story (journaling) I put into my layout is If it's possible, I always credit the photographer or website where I found my photos--I really like using sxc.hu, because you can contact the photographer directly there. Or I've also used vintage postcards I saw on flickr and contacted the photographer there

But um, I'm not going to use photos of babies that aren't mine nor things like fairies or gnomes. That's not my style.

Last edited by mrshobbes; 08-01-2012 at 12:26 AM.