Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default External Hard Drive Question

Hi there! Figured maybe someone could help me figure this out. I have an external hard drive that has NEVER given me any issues, and all of a sudden my computer won't recognize it. The lights on the external light up like it's working and the computer makes the little noise it always does when I connect the usb cord. Thoughts anyone??
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Every once in a while mine does that too, so I usually just turn it on and off to see of that works. Unfortunately, EHDs are just as susceptible to failure as regular HDs. Hopefully you get it to recognize it! Good luck!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually reboot my computer, unplug it, try another port, etc. or even another usb cable. EHD's are susceptible to failure too, so it's really important to keep a complete backup of it as well. good luck getting it working!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the advice! I have none of what is on there backed up boooooo!!! I didn't think I would need to back up my back up, unfortunately I used it to store all my digital scrapbook stuff, all my pictures.....If I think about it too much I really want to cry. We have a friend who does computer stuff, I'm hoping he can possibly recover the files.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yeah mine does that, make sure the usb cord is plugged in both ways, sometime it gets loose, and also unplug it, wait a few mins then plug it back in. See if that works

Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I really need to get another EHD and get my stuff backed up there, too. I have one that is almost full and it's got nearly everything on it. I don't keep too much on my laptop and the desktop was just to slow to hold anything else.

I hope you can get it to work or at the very least, get your files recovered!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I took the EHD to a computer store today, to see if they could get my files off. After much time trying to get the computer to recognize it, it just wasn't working. I'm praying they can recover the files and..... I don't lose 2 years worth of pictures and ALL my digital stuff.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ashlie, Im so sorry to hear this! Ugh, makes ya just wanna scream doesn't it! I've had this happen before.

Have you thought about doing an online backup service? I don't keep anything, for the most part, on my mac itself, everything is on a 1.5TB EHD, so if i lost my EHD, I'd lose everything!! So I use an online backup service and I feel much better now, it's worth the 50 bucks a year to me. Just be sure if you do this, that you check with the service to be sure that it will back up EHD as well, as many do not. Backblaze does, and so do a couple others.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Crashplan is another good online service, and they will back up from an EHD. They also have the option of sending a "seed" drive (I have no idea why they call it seed, it's a regular EHD) so you can submit the seed drive with your stuff and they load it into their system from the seed drive. The advantage of this is that it is way faster than trying to perform the initial back-up online. Then subsequent backups are online.

I have never attempted this personally, but have heard success stories of people putting their broken EHD's in the freezer. I don't know how long one is meant to freeze it, but if nothing else works I guess it can't hurt to try. Good luck, I feel your pain. It's a lesson we all learn the hard way once.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizj View Post
Crashplan is another good online service, and they will back up from an EHD. They also have the option of sending a "seed" drive (I have no idea why they call it seed, it's a regular EHD) so you can submit the seed drive with your stuff and they load it into their system from the seed drive. The advantage of this is that it is way faster than trying to perform the initial back-up online. Then subsequent backups are online.

I have never attempted this personally, but have heard success stories of people putting their broken EHD's in the freezer. I don't know how long one is meant to freeze it, but if nothing else works I guess it can't hurt to try. Good luck, I feel your pain. It's a lesson we all learn the hard way once.
Ohh Liz, I never heard of the freezer thing, how interesting!
I know that sometimes just changing the power cord fixes issues like this as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Here's the update, the computer tech called today, said he can get my files off the EHD!!!! Soooooo thankful!!! Thanks everyone for the info on online back up, I will definately be looking into it!