Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Our Home...

Hey everyone...

As you may or may not know, our house went under in the flood on Wednesday. The last couple of days have been spent cleaning it all up. Today all the internal plaster (walls) have been taken down and it's basically just an empty shell. At least it's still structurally sound and it didn't hit the ceilings, it came a foot underneath the ceilings. Which is lucky considering, as if that happened our house would probably have to have been demolished.

I've got some pictures that I've found from a neighbour on Facebook if you want to see. They're of our house underwater which were taken from a boat. There's also a video which I got a mention in, and that truly shows some of the devastation in our street. Please watch it as I think it really sums up how we're all feeling right now. It's truly like hell on earth, I will never forget the smell. Josh is pretty traumatised by it all, which is the hardest thing, as well as not being able to enjoy our newborn daughter Lola.

This is the front of our house at the flood peak:

The house on the right is the view of our backyard at the peak:

http://video.couriermail.com.au/1742...e-springs-back

The community spirit has been amazing. We'll be out of our home for quite some time, just living with my Dad at this point. It will take at least a month for everything to dry out enough to even begin any type of repairs/rebuilding. Because of the scale of the disaster in our city, and the amount of rebuilding that will have to be done in Brisbane, it will most likely be 6 months to a year before we can go back.

I will post photos or something when I can face looking at them. Believe it or not, looking at our home underwater is easier for me as at least it still looks a bit like what I knew as our home not the wasteland it has become.

Thanks for thinking of us, and I'll keep you updated when I can.