Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Angry Switching from PC to Mac? Major computer issues...

For the last 2 weeks I've had major problems with my Dell Alienware computer. Had to delete everything off and do a factory reset, started adding everything back on and organizing all my scrap supplies and it crashed again. It's some sort of Windows issue. I've paid for the technical support and spent about 10 hours on the phone or on hold with them. We supposedly fixed it last night, but the screen is glitching again and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I get the "blue screen of death" again. Plus after the "fix" my solid state drive that's 1 terabyte is not viewable. Tried calling again this morning and after an hour on hold was told that the level 2 support wasn't answering. I have to be somewhere in an hour and don't have time to keep holding. I spent extra money on this computer 2 years ago so it would last, but Windows seems to keep screwing up my computers and I'm over it.

So, I've never considered switching to a Mac, but I'm there now. What kind of learning curve is it? I've also got tons of scrapping supplies and have always deleted the Mac file that's included with them. Would my digi files by usable on a Mac? All my pictures are backed up on external hard drives. Would I be able to view them or transfer them to the MAC?
Give me your stories of switching and let me know if you think it's worth it.
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've been on a mac forever so I can't really help much with the learning curve - it IS user friendly as long as you are willing to jump in and get over some of the little hurdles (i don't know how else to say it haha)

Everything will work fine though - you don't need to worry about the mac files those actually only come up when you unzip or open something on a PC that was originally made on a mac.

come to the dark side!! we have cookies!

One thing I will say.... as macs have grown in popularity I sometimes think that they aren't being made as well as they were in the past? More and more people seem to be having technical issues on a mac that never happened before. My HD died on me last spring and that was a first for me.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I use both PC and Mac but to be honest, I slightly prefer PC because I can better see the scrap files previews in the folders and Photoshop's blending options also work better (you know, you can switch them with the arrows which I seem to be unable to do on my Mac).
Everything you have on your external hard drive should work fine on a Mac. And no, you don't need those Mac files which you deleted (I also delete them). Those image files (png, jpg) work fine on both platforms. As a whole, the Mac is more stable and won't cause issues but you'll need a few days to get used to a some small differences (like different hot keys, key combos, scrolling, etc)
--
Mama to Albert
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with KCB about quality. I purchased what would be considered a "top of the line" Mac to replace my old one and the screen has been damaged twice requiring a $600 repair each time. The first I have NO idea how it happened. One day I just opened it up and it was damaged. The second one involved my baby pushing it off a table (it fell about 1 foot onto a carpeted surface with very little force). I've never worked with a computer with such durability issues. My first Mac bought in 2010 has been a beast. I upgraded the "brains" for $300 and it's like new.

The learning curve for me was about a week. There are lots of super helpful threads in this forum. Some software requires you to purchase the Mac version. I would check their policies so you are aware of whether you'd be require to replace some of the programs you have, so you're not surprised.

Generally speaking, I prefer my Mac. The positives outweigh the issues I've had. I still use a PC for work.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I switched from PC to a mac around 13 years ago and I haven't looked back since. I can comfortably use both, but I absolutely would never go back to a PC for personal use. I also have an ipad and iphone and love how they "connect" and keeps everything synced. Learning curve isn't very big. A mac is easier to figure out than a PC for someone whom have never used any computer and the macs are pretty logical. My mother who has no clue what she's doing, is slightly less akward on her macbook than she was on the PC she had. Only downside would be the program compatibitity on many programs made for PC and not necessarily work on mac.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
I can comfortably use both, but I absolutely would never go back to a PC for personal use. I also have an ipad and iphone and love how they "connect" and keeps everything synced.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. I absolutely LOVE my iMac and will never buy another PC. There is a slight learning curve but you won't regret it.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the comments ladies. I appreciate it.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I made the switch from a PC to a MAC in 2014 and have never regretted it. The learning curve took a few days, especially with PS shortcuts. When we made the switch, hubby and I both got 27 inch iMacs, but I still had my HP laptop for scrapping when I traveled. That lasted until went on my first scrap weekend and then I begged for him to buy me a Mac Air!! I hated going back and forth between the two platforms. We will never have anything else. Our boys even have a Mac Mini to share, until we can get them their own MacBooks.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I switched from PC to Mac about one year ago and have no regrets. It takes a little bit of time to adjust to the key shortcuts. I still have to google something as I can't remember the all. I absolutely had no issue transferring all my files, pictures, scapbooking files from PC to Mac.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh! and you know.. I use a PC keyboard mouse and a PC keyboard.. I hate hate HATE those white keyboards!
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yikes, I can't imagine leaving my PC for a Mac :O

I'm sorry to hear about your computer. That sounds frustrating. Have you done a search online to see if anyone else is having issues? I was having major issues with an update earlier this month on my computer, but I was able to restore it before the update and haven't had any issues since.

Good luck if you make the transition or good luck fixing the computer. <3