Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default What papers/art/school stuff from your child do you keep?

I am looking to de-clutter a little, just curious as to what everyone keeps in relation to their kids papers. I have three kids, and almost 10 years of school papers, art, cards, etc...it's becoming a little to much. BUT at the same time, I have a hard time getting rid of things...
Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm ruthless about schoolwork. I save maybe 5% of what my daughter brings home. She is in third grade and has one large manila folder's worth of school stuff in the basement.

If it's something really meaningful or the first time she's done something, I will save it. The random things she draws in art, a weekly spelling test, etc. all go right in the trash from her take home folder.

I tend to go through her stuff and ask myself, 'Is this paper/test/story/thing something that really showcases a part of her personality or a new skill she's acquired? Is this paper/test/story/thing something that is a good indication of her progress this school year? Is this paper/test/story/thing something she might remember doing as an adult?'

If I don't get a solid 'yes' to one of those questions, into the trash it goes! No regrets.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I heard that some people photograph/scan drawings/stories etc... so they save it digitally versus on paper.
Maybe that's an option?

Old 02-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We save nearly everything that comes home from school (which is about 5 things per week for 1st grade), and then will go through it at the end of the year and keep the most important things. That will be no more than 15 items per grade.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep school photos now, and that's about it. I photograph and digitally scrap anything I really want to keep like this:

Last edited by jacinda; 02-11-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

During the year I keep a lot of things that I think might be meaningful. Then I sort it at the end of the year, and my goalis to get it down to about 5 pieces of work. (Anything else I want to save I take a photo of, but I like to have a few physical pieces of work, too.) Exactly what I'm saving varies by age; earlier it's more art, later it's more writing, etc. But this is what I have in mind when I'm picking out my 5 pieces for most of elementary school:

-an 'everyday' drawing that really shows their typical drawing style or favorite themes (maybe the new way they're drawing people or the cute animals they love to doodle)
-a story or other piece of creative writing that shows their imagination at work
-a piece of non-fiction that tells something personal about them
-something that shows their handwriting, if they've moved toward more of their work being on the computer
-a piece of art they were especially proud of or worked hard on
-something that shows their math or reasoning ability, like word problems they wrote and solved or a paper that asked them to explain their thinking. This is usually the hardest thing to find

For kids older than elementary school, I'm learning that I have to be happy with anything I can get my hands on...my 8th grader is done with art class and all forms of drawing. I beg for a couple of things at the end of the year, and if I'm lucky he'll print me a couple of essays or stories he was especially proud of.

Creating for Melissa Bennett

Last edited by rach3975; 02-11-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I display it on the fridge for awhile if it's art work, but it goes straight into the bin if it's not. If they are super attached to it, then I take pics and scrap about it, and then throw it in the bin, lol!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went through all my boys' art projects a few years ago. If it wouldn't fit in the container I got for their school papers, then I took a picture of it and threw the original away. It was SUPER hard but I have 4 boys and can't keep it all. I almost dug the garbage bag out of the trash bin and almost chased the garbage truck down when they took the trash bag......I had to let go though. I have all the pictures sorted by year and plan on printing them and putting them in pocket pages by year!!

Next is going to scan some of their papers. I go through this papers every so often and throw away and keep stuff. They are all in folders by grade....I just need to find a more efficient scanner so I can start scanning and get rid of stuff!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I save all as much as possible since my daughter is just on second grade. I take pictures and scan of all of them and then file them up. But what I could part ways with are those projects that used edible materials like one art of my daughter, they used a cheerio to make an animal. I thought of covering it with a plastic foil but I was scared that it will just attract ants and other pests so after taking a photo I discard it.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I keep school photos now, and that's about it. I photograph and digitally scrap anything I really want to keep like this:

This is a great idea! I think I might need to do this, especially for the younger ones with all the art stuff they come home with!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
During the year I keep a lot of things that I think might be meaningful. Then I sort it at the end of the year, and my goalis to get it down to about 5 pieces of work. (Anything else I want to save I take a photo of, but I like to have a few physical pieces of work, too.) Exactly what I'm saving varies by age; earlier it's more art, later it's more writing, etc. But this is what I have in mind when I'm picking out my 5 pieces for most of elementary school:

-an 'everyday' drawing that really shows their typical drawing style or favorite themes (maybe the new way they're drawing people or the cute animals they love to doodle)
-a story or other piece of creative writing that shows their imagination at work
-a piece of non-fiction that tells something personal about them
-something that shows their handwriting, if they've moved toward more of their work being on the computer
-a piece of art they were especially proud of or worked hard on
-something that shows their math or reasoning ability, like word problems they wrote and solved or a paper that asked them to explain their thinking. This is usually the hardest thing to find

For kids older than elementary school, I'm learning that I have to be happy with anything I can get my hands on...my 8th grader is done with art class and all forms of drawing. I beg for a couple of things at the end of the year, and if I'm lucky he'll print me a couple of essays or stories he was especially proud of.
This is really a great way to keep things Rachel. I like involving them in it as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim21673 View Post
I went through all my boys' art projects a few years ago. If it wouldn't fit in the container I got for their school papers, then I took a picture of it and threw the original away. It was SUPER hard but I have 4 boys and can't keep it all. I almost dug the garbage bag out of the trash bin and almost chased the garbage truck down when they took the trash bag......I had to let go though. I have all the pictures sorted by year and plan on printing them and putting them in pocket pages by year!!

Next is going to scan some of their papers. I go through this papers every so often and throw away and keep stuff. They are all in folders by grade....I just need to find a more efficient scanner so I can start scanning and get rid of stuff!!!
As of right now, I'm not chasing anyone down as I have bins of stuff...but living in a NYC apartment with 5 people and we are slowly running out of room.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When my DD and DS were little (born in 1966 & 68) I put items in 2 coat boxes (approx 2'x18" and 4-5" deep) and when they got married and had kids I gave it to them to go through. That way, they threw away what they did not want...I didn't feel bad throwing their things out. They could save items to show their kids. The boxes were in the attic and out of the way until I passed them on...worked for me!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good luck downsizing. I keep everything. . .ugh!