Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default History of DigiScrapping

Have any of you ever thought about the history behind what we do? Who was the "founder" of digiscrapping? What was the first digiscrap site? Who came up with the idea or the name? How long has it been around? I'm just curious since it's such a big part of our daily life!

I've done a little research, and while I haven't found many of my answers, I did find a little bit that was interesting. Digiscrapping is listed on Wikepedia both by itself and under scrapbooking. Also, this article from the Washington Post is dated 2005 and talks about digiscrapping! http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121501674.html

Anyone want to do some investigating and share what you come up with? I'm curious to find out more!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok, this was interesting. It is a list of digi sites by oldest to newest and ones that have closed. SSD is listed in the first group (oldest sites)! Yay SSD!!!

http://www.mycorneronline.com/tutori...ing_sites.html
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've always wondered who got the ball rolling. I feel like I'm an old timer, but I started a couple years after the trend was really getting going.

I know a lot of ladies started at Mommy Boards making signatures and then that turned into more. That's what I was doing and then I found the Shabby Princess' freebies. My oldest was about 15 months old and I was so far behind on her baby pictures, trying to paper scrap them. I finally decided to try digi for a project she needed at daycare, I had an 8x10 printed and loved how it looked and I've been doing it ever since, that was July 2006.

Maybe Robin, Traci, Kristin or Shawna could tell you more. I was shopping here, but finally started calling SSD my digi home when I came over with Heather Roselli on her Creative Team.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
ok, this was interesting. It is a list of digi sites by oldest to newest and ones that have closed. SSD is listed in the first group (oldest sites)! Yay SSD!!!

This is a cool list, I'd forgotten about a lot of these sites.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have no clue but would love to see what others find too.

Oh yes Shabby Princess I remember that. Probably the first kits I ever got.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Scrapbook-Bytes opened in 2003 and that was the first major hub. I joined in april/may of that year.. so i've been involved for almost 15 years now :O I am pretty sure before that there was a small group on the two peas board. When scrapbook-bytes opened there were no digital stores at the time. We'd all make freebies and scrap with those and share them. The first designers would create collections of kits on CD's and mail them to customers! It was an entirely different world back then Leeandra was around at ssbytes right when it opened so I think she probably knows about the earlier days? I think there might have been a mailing list or a yahoo group??
Old 04-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Scrapbook-Bytes opened in 2003 and that was the first major hub. I joined in april/may of that year.. so i've been involved for almost 15 years now :O I am pretty sure before that there was a small group on the two peas board. When scrapbook-bytes opened there were no digital stores at the time. We'd all make freebies and scrap with those and share them. The first designers would create collections of kits on CD's and mail them to customers! It was an entirely different world back then Leeandra was around at ssbytes right when it opened so I think she probably knows about the earlier days? I think there might have been a mailing list or a yahoo group??
Any way that we can see some of the things you created back then? It would be fun to see. I'm sure your style has evolved tremendously since then!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

haha I actually found a few things just last month. I will upload some in a bit.. or awhile hahaha. let it be known that scanning realistic items and commercial use things did not come into play until 2006ish.. so back then everything was created in photoshop. everything.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post

I still have kits on an external from a lot of these closed sites so sad to see some go but to be honest Sweetshoppe is and will always hands down be my favorite shop and forum. Don’t ever go anywhere because I think I’d have a breakdown
Old 04-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
I still have kits on an external from a lot of these closed sites so sad to see some go but to be honest Sweetshoppe is and will always hands down be my favorite shop and forum. Don’t ever go anywhere because I think I’d have a breakdown
yes if SSD went away I wouldn't feel like starting over again somewhere else and would probably stop scrapping... at least not as often.

Last edited by Leablahblah; 04-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

http://www.pagesoftheheart.net/artma...icle_727.shtml
Old 04-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
yes if SSD went away I wouldn't feel like starting over again somewhere else and would probably stop scrapping... at least not as often.
Though if you're anything like me, you could probably scrap your SSD stash for a few years before you actually *needed* to buy anything new, am I right??
Old 04-04-2018, 06:56 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

OMGosh, I had forgotten about some of those stores/designers. Talk about a blast from the past!

Old 04-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'll have to go through all the links when I'm on my computer. I bet there will be a lot I've forgotten about, too. I joined Scrapbook Bytes in March 2004. Amy Edwards was the founder, and I've always considered her a digiscrapping pioneer. When things first started moving on from all freebies, there were a few designers who sold CDs filled with kits. I remember Maya and I think Gina Cabrera doing that. It was such a big deal when we started being able to buy and download kits. Lots of scrappers were still on dial-up. I remember setting up downloads that literally took all night to get 1 kit that would be laughably small by today's standards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I'll have to go through all the links when I'm on my computer. I bet there will be a lot I've forgotten about, too. I joined Scrapbook Bytes in March 2004. Amy Edwards was the founder, and I've always considered her a digiscrapping pioneer. When things first started moving on from all freebies, there were a few designers who sold CDs filled with kits. I remember Maya and I think Gina Cabrera doing that. It was such a big deal when we started being able to buy and download kits. Lots of scrappers were still on dial-up. I remember setting up downloads that literally took all night to get 1 kit that would be laughably small by today's standards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Yes, I remember that! I started digiscrapping back in 2006 when my youngest was born. At first it was freebie hunting only. I remember it taking FOREVER to download anything (even small-ish freebie kits). It was awful! I am so glad technology has improved from then!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Very cool! Thanks for sharing that article! No idea if there is a relation, but my Grandma's maiden name was Christensen!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes please SSD don’t go anywhere! I may come and go but you are not allowed to go anywhere!

I was making siggies back in 2007 and didn’t get into the trend until I was pregnant with jamesen in 2008. Back then I hated it and couldn’t believe people would leave paper scrapping for doing digital stuff! I then had a friend who offered me a kit for free if I made a page for them and I wanted to use the stuff for siggies so I did it and was hooked! Never looked back! I loved being able to save and close an unfinished layout when Marcus woke up from nap and not worry about it gettin messed up.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wrote that article in 2004 or 2005, I think.

I discovered Ali Edwards making AAM pages with Photoshop in February 2003 at TwoPeasinaBucket. Scrapbook-Bytes was founded the month before and I quickly made my way to that site.

Amy Edwards, who used to own Scrapbook-Bytes, would know more about when it started and why she decided to start her own digital scrapbooking site. She's not around DigiLand anymore but I might message her on Facebook to ask and report back.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What a fun history lesson! I'm amazed at the list of stores that have closed It's sad, but I suppose it's a normal course. I mean, think of how few actual physical scrapbook stores are still open.
It would be interesting to see a list of designers who have retired and those that are still around.
LeeAndra, your article is fantastic!!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i started digiscrapping in 2003 wow i think i am a oldie lol :P
Old 04-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

So glad you found my list! I'm glad others enjoy reading the names as much as I do as a memory flashback. I started May 31, 2015. I'm still around (mostly FB page and Instagram), but moved all my tutorials and information to consolidate websites. It's all up there free.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I started at Scrapbook-Bytes way back in late 2005. I forgot about most of those sites.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started in 2006 when I purchased a Life Timez CD from a Top Line Creations consultant.

It was fun to look through the list of stores. I remember I got a lot from Atomic Cupcake.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I started out at Scrapbook-bytes also back in mid-2005ish!!

www.byrdsblessings.com
Old 04-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
It's hard when your home store closes (please don't go anywhere SSD---do you hear that, Robin!) When ScrapMatters closed all those years ago, Dawn (aussiegirl) and I floundered around for a few years. Towards the end of the last year, I committed to myself that SSD was going to be my new home and with the start of the new year, I jumped in and it feels like home. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to make SSD home even though I have always been a part of the community for the past few years!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOL! I think we'd all flounder if SSD closed I shudder to even think about it!!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's totally fun going down memory lane! I started scrapbooking in mid 2008. Before that I made signatures without digi-scrap supplies (starting in 2005 or 2006).
Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
It's hard when your home store closes (please don't go anywhere SSD---do you hear that, Robin!) When ScrapMatters closed all those years ago, Dawn (aussiegirl) and I floundered around for a few years. Towards the end of the last year, I committed to myself that SSD was going to be my new home and with the start of the new year, I jumped in and it feels like home. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to make SSD home even though I have always been a part of the community for the past few years!
Yes I remember being store-less for a while because I took a huge break and when I came back I had to choose. I chose a store that ended up closing shortly after I started getting really involved. But then I decided to try SSD and stuck with it. I love it so much here!
Old 04-07-2018, 01:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
haha I actually found a few things just last month. I will upload some in a bit.. or awhile hahaha. let it be known that scanning realistic items and commercial use things did not come into play until 2006ish.. so back then everything was created in photoshop. everything.
I remember when people started scanning in elements and the community went NUTS! I'm so thankful we moved away from the digital-looking aspect of it and more towards realistic!!

I can't believe you found things!! I got rid of all my stuff because it was too embarrassing to keep!
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I found it back in 2005 thanks to a mommy board also. I started at Gotta Pixel, but came over to Sweet Shoppe shortly after it opened because I found this awesome kit with trains, cars & planes that I needed from KCB & Shawna. I had already been scrapping for 2 years at this point, but here's the first layouts I made with that kit:
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...can-do&cat=500
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...u-love&cat=500
Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I found this awesome kit with trains, cars & planes that I needed from KCB & Shawna. I had already been scrapping for 2 years at this point, but here's the first layouts I made with that kit:
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...can-do&cat=500
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...u-love&cat=500
awww!! that was my first ever scoop with shawna and it was when we started to get to know each other!!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
awww!! that was my first ever scoop with shawna and it was when we started to get to know each other!!
I used that kit for so many early layouts! I loved it.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is a fun little thread!! I loved looking at that old list of stores. I think I started around 2006 or so - right around when my oldest was born and I didn't have a craft room anymore! I LOVE seeing the older products - look how far this has all come.
And SSD is the BEST - then and always!!